fodder for the anti gase crowd

whatever.  si is going down the same road as espn.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-adam-gase-coach-of-the-year-odds-longshot

New York Jets head coach Adam Gase has the longest odds to be NFL Coach of the Year

Kristian Dyer

Adam Gase isn’t the favorite to win the AP Coach of the Year, the latest set of odds just another slam on the New York Jets offseason to date. It may be an unjustified slam, perhaps, as the Jets had a better offseason than most pundits and insiders want to acknowledge.

A season ago, it was rumored at the midpoint of the season and with the Jets 1-7, that Gase was on the hot seat and likely not to complete his first season in New York. Jets management refuted those claims that Gase was potentially on his way out and the Jets closed out the year strong, going 6-2 down the stretch.

All of which should set Gase up for some stability for the upcoming season. In addition, the Jets this offseason improved their offensive line dramatically and nearly every piece added in free agency and the NFL Draft was an upgrade. And yet, the Jets still are only favored in three games this year.

Now, it should be noted that the Jets have one of the toughest schedules in the league this year, but they should be a better and more competitive team. Their record might be status quo or a bit worse but they should have momentum going into 2021.

But the oddsmakers don’t see it that way. Gase, at 50:1, is tied for the worst odds in the NFL to be named AP Coach of the Year. He shares those same odds with Bill O’Brien (Houston Texans) and Doug Marrone (Jacksonville Jaguars).

A look at the complete set of odds according to BetOnline:

AP Coach of the Year 2020

Bill Belichick 12/1

Bruce Arians 12/1

Mike McCarthy 14/1

Frank Reich 16/1

Andy Reid 18/1

Kevin Stefanski 18/1

Kliff Kingsbury 18/1

Sean McDermott 18/1

Kyle Shanahan 20/1

Mike Vrabel 22/1

Brian Flores 25/1

Doug Pederson 25/1

John Harbaugh 25/1

Vic Fangio 25/1

Mike Tomlin 28/1

Mike Zimmer 28/1

Pete Carroll 28/1

Anthony Lynn 30/1

Dan Quinn 30/1

Matt LaFleur 30/1

Matt Nagy 30/1

Sean McVay 30/1

Sean Payton 30/1

Matt Patricia 33/1

Matt Rhule 33/1

Zak Taylor 33/1

Joe Judge 40/1

Jon Gruden 40/1

Ron Rivera 40/1

Adam Gase 50/1

Bill O'Brien 50/1

Doug Marrone 50/1

Perhaps in a way, it is understandable about Gase’s odds. The Jets, coming off a 7-9 season in 2019, aren’t likely to take a huge leap forward this year, which is what would be needed for Gase to win the award. In fact, it’d probably take double-digit wins for the Jets to make the playoffs and get Gase the nod for the individual honor.

Simply, the Jets aren’t set up to take a substantial step forward at this point. Gase should be a longshot to win the award but the current odds don’t seem fair.

A 20th or lower rated Offense in 2020 is, IMO, a fatal issue for Gase as an NFL Head Coach. 

It would make five years of an offensive minded NFL Coach with hands-on playcalling producing bottom tier Offenses.

So we'll see.  He's the guy in 2020, so for his own sake and ours, I hope he finally does better.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Adam Gase isn’t the favorite to win the AP Coach of the Year, the latest set of odds just another slam on the New York Jets offseason to date. It may be an unjustified slam, perhaps, as the Jets had a better offseason than most pundits and insiders want to acknowledge.

Nothing unjustified about it. 

Take a look back at his history as a head coach or offensive coordinator in this league without having one of the GOATs running his offense. 

Other than Patricia and O’brien, there’s isn’t a single coach I wouldn’t swap Gase for. I’d even take Joe judge just for the hope that he’ll be good - because his unknown is still better than Gase’s known career. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Nothing unjustified about it. 

Take a look back at his history as a head coach or offensive coordinator in this league without having one of the GOATs running his offense. 

Other than Patricia and O’brien, there’s isn’t a single coach I wouldn’t swap Gase for. I’d even take Joe judge just for the hope that he’ll be good - because his unknown is still better than Gase’s known career. 

He's coached 4 seasons in the NFL, in EVERY single one of them his teams overachieved including leading Miami to their only playoff app in a year Brady played since 2002.

You can criticize his offense though he's had made QB issues as a HC. This will be the first time he has a healthy returning QB who is actually good.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He's coached 4 seasons in the NFL, in EVERY single one of them his teams overachieved including leading Miami to their only playoff app in a year Brady played since 2002.

You can criticize his offense though he's had made QB issues as a HC. This will be the first time he has a healthy returning QB who is actually good.

right.  i'm no gase lover but give the guy a chance.  a fan's view is a whole lot different than the team's view.  i certainly haven't seen all of that compelling evidence that the players (doltfins) didn't want to play for him.  and i haven't seen any compelling evidence that says tannehill did much worse under him.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

right.  i'm no gase lover but give the guy a chance.  a fan's view is a whole lot different than the team's view.  i certainly haven't seen all of that compelling evidence that the players (doltfins) didn't want to play for him.  and i haven't seen any compelling evidence that says tannehill did much worse under him.

I think he's been awful as a offensive HC and he's touted as an Offensive HC but he has had legitimate QB issues among other issues and his teams have overachieved.  I believe if the O struggles this year but they are still competitive they should make him bring in a really OC to run the offense.

30 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

So even though his offenses were ranked 24/29, 29/25, 30/30 and 25/27 in Points/Yards respectively, this was really overachieving?  

What would him underachieving look like?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I don't think it's particularly meaningful, however. 

+1 TBQH.  Offseason fluff.

Gase proves all his doubters wrong and has Darnold over 4,000 yards, 30 TD's, and wins 10 games and a playoff game, and guess what......he could be CotY.  And alot of folks think that could happen, it seems.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

But the oddsmakers don’t see it that way. Gase, at 50:1, is tied for the worst odds in the NFL to be named AP Coach of the Year. He shares those same odds with Bill O’Brien (Houston Texans) and Doug Marrone (Jacksonville Jaguars).

Funny that he's tied with two guys a lot of people here wanted instead of him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Criticizing a supposed QB whisperer’s offenses is exactly what I’m doing. The part that he is directly involved in absolutely sucks year in and year out. His defense playing well has nothing to do with him.

Just take a look at the 7 wins from this season. The jets offense didn’t even get to the league average points in 3 of them - and the jets played all of the worst defenses in the league. Those three wins are directly credited to the defense - which Gase plays no part in. He’s an awful coach who happens to have a background which includes Peyton Manning making him tons of money.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So even though his offenses were ranked 24/29, 29/25, 30/30 and 25/27 in Points/Yards respectively, this was really overachieving?  

What would him underachieving look like?

Is he the OC or HC? Sort of both but ultimately he's judged on wins and losses and he's won a lot more than he should have.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Criticizing a supposed QB whisperer’s offenses is exactly what I’m doing. The part that he is directly involved in absolutely sucks year in and year out. His defense playing well has nothing to do with him.

Just take a look at the 7 wins from this season. The jets offense didn’t even get to the league average points in 3 of them - and the jets played all of the worst defenses in the league. Those three wins are directly credited to the defense - which Gase plays no part in. He’s an awful coach who happens to have a background which includes Peyton Manning making him tons of money.

As the HC his teams have overachieved, I hope he does a much better job running the O.

1. I have not read in one instance where any one said Darnold will not improve. 

2. Their line improved.

3. Their receiving corps improved.

4. Parts of their defense improved.

Let the jets go 12-4, and who cares where Gase winds up?

Jets Reeeed.jpg

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And that has what to do with Gase exactly?

49ers fans were spitting blood and calling for Shanahan's throat after 6-10 and 4-12.  Just won the NFC Championship, finished in second-place in Coach Of The Year voting, and is labeled Boy Wonder Genius of 2020.

1.  If it happened for Shanahan it can happen for Gase.  2.  Fans are stupid.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Freddie Kitchens was the favorite to win coach of the year last year. QB underperformed. Fired.

John Harbough was 22nd likeliest. QB Over performed....coach of the year.

Gase’s chances of winning goes as Sam goes. If you expect Darnold to light it up like I do, bet on Gase.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dowell Loggains is the offensive coordinator, so by your logic Darnold's performance has nothing to do with Gase either.

SAR I

• WTF? 1