Jadeveon Clowney spurned ‘richest offer on the table’ from Browns

Love it! 

https://nypost.com/2020/05/27/free-agent-jadeveon-clowney-spurned-richest-offer-from-browns/

It’s not all about the money this time for Jadeveon Clowney.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft has reportedly rejected a significant offer from the Browns, who have been “the most aggressive team with him financially” and “has offered the most money to date,” according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

“I just think he has balked at going to Cleveland for whatever reason,” Schefter told “The Next Level” on ESPN Cleveland on Wednesday. “I think he’s been hesitant to go because if he wasn’t, he would’ve gone already because it’s the most money. It’s the richest offer on the table and he hasn’t taken it.”

Clowney, 27, remains on the market as the most prominent free agent due in large part to his high asking price and lingering health concerns. The oft-injured defensive end is recovering from core muscle surgery he underwent in February, and though he claims to be healthy now, teams have been unable to assess his progress in-person in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

“I don’t know if people think I’m hurt because of what I went through because of the core or because of previous years,” Clowney said earlier this month. “I’m ready, I’ll be ready to go whenever the time comes. Whoever I sign with will get the best version of me.”

If Schefter’s report is accurate, the Browns’ offer would be very close to his $21 million-per-year target having already turned down offers from the Dolphins and Seahawks (his former team) worth $18.5 million-per-year and $17 million-per-year, respectively. He is seeking a contract that would put his salary in line with top edge rushers like DeMarcus Lawrence — who signed a five-year, $105 million contract in 2019 — and Khalil Mack — who signed a six-year, $141 million contract in 2019.

“Why [hasn’t Clowney signed with the Browns]? I don’t know,” Schefter mused. “Is that not wanting to be in that city? Is that a lack of belief in the organization? I don’t know what it is. But there’s no doubt that Cleveland has offered the most money to date. For whatever reason he has not been willing to take it so far. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t change, but it hasn’t changed just yet.”

The Dolphins eventually signed lower-priced defensive ends Emmanuel Ogbah and Shaq Lawson and the Seahawks signed Benson Mayowa and Bruce Irvin, likely taking both teams out of the mix. Clowney has also been linked to the Eagles, Giants and Jets, though The Post’s Brian Costello thinks the odds of the Jets signing him at such a hefty price tag is unlikely.

“I just don’t see the Jets committing big money to Clowney,” Costello wrote on May 14. “It is not how GM Joe Douglas has done business this offseason.”

image.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

imo clowney isn't worth the money.  it's not like he's the second coming of charles haley or reggie white.  he's an above average dlineman.  it'll be interesting to see where this ends up and how long before he says he needs to feed his family.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, HessStation said:

How does Cleveland still have the money?

Over $37M in cap space.  They have a QB and much of their core group (Garrett, Ward, Wills, Chubb, Greedy Williams) on their rookie deals and only 4 players counting >$10M against the cap this year (Beckham, Vernon, Landry, Richardson). 

They've also done a pretty good job of keeping the middle part of their roster cheap; guys like Austin Hooper ($3.5M), Case Keenum ($2.8M), EDGE Adrian Clayborn ($2.3M), CB Kevin Johnson ($3.5M), CB Terrance Mitchell ($3.7M), and S Karl Joseph ($2.4M). 

They're in pretty good shape, at least financially. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Love it! 

https://nypost.com/2020/05/27/free-agent-jadeveon-clowney-spurned-richest-offer-from-browns/

It’s not all about the money this time for Jadeveon Clowney.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft has reportedly rejected a significant offer from the Browns, who have been “the most aggressive team with him financially” and “has offered the most money to date,” according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

“I just think he has balked at going to Cleveland for whatever reason,” Schefter told “The Next Level” on ESPN Cleveland on Wednesday. “I think he’s been hesitant to go because if he wasn’t, he would’ve gone already because it’s the most money. It’s the richest offer on the table and he hasn’t taken it.”

Clowney, 27, remains on the market as the most prominent free agent due in large part to his high asking price and lingering health concerns. The oft-injured defensive end is recovering from core muscle surgery he underwent in February, and though he claims to be healthy now, teams have been unable to assess his progress in-person in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

“I don’t know if people think I’m hurt because of what I went through because of the core or because of previous years,” Clowney said earlier this month. “I’m ready, I’ll be ready to go whenever the time comes. Whoever I sign with will get the best version of me.”

If Schefter’s report is accurate, the Browns’ offer would be very close to his $21 million-per-year target having already turned down offers from the Dolphins and Seahawks (his former team) worth $18.5 million-per-year and $17 million-per-year, respectively. He is seeking a contract that would put his salary in line with top edge rushers like DeMarcus Lawrence — who signed a five-year, $105 million contract in 2019 — and Khalil Mack — who signed a six-year, $141 million contract in 2019.

“Why [hasn’t Clowney signed with the Browns]? I don’t know,” Schefter mused. “Is that not wanting to be in that city? Is that a lack of belief in the organization? I don’t know what it is. But there’s no doubt that Cleveland has offered the most money to date. For whatever reason he has not been willing to take it so far. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t change, but it hasn’t changed just yet.”

The Dolphins eventually signed lower-priced defensive ends Emmanuel Ogbah and Shaq Lawson and the Seahawks signed Benson Mayowa and Bruce Irvin, likely taking both teams out of the mix. Clowney has also been linked to the Eagles, Giants and Jets, though The Post’s Brian Costello thinks the odds of the Jets signing him at such a hefty price tag is unlikely.

“I just don’t see the Jets committing big money to Clowney,” Costello wrote on May 14. “It is not how GM Joe Douglas has done business this offseason.”

image.gif

Cleveland. Waste land of the the earth where flowers don’t grow. Smart non move by Clowney who’s no clown. 

Not a big Clowney fan but with our current defense, and Williams at the helm,  he would probably put up better numbers and would improve the overall Jet D. However, I don't see JD making a move for him. He's had injury issues throughout his career also.

23 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Wasn't this dude supposed to be a generational talent? What the hell happened to him?

I still remember his hit on some scrub while playing for South carolina:

The "generational talent" moniker gets used every other year to describe the draft's presumed best pass rusher. 

I distinctly remember hearing Clowney, Garrett, Bosa, and Young all described as "generational." It's likely that only one of those guys lives up to that billing. 

23 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Wasn't this dude supposed to be a generational talent? What the hell happened to him?

I still remember his hit on some scrub while playing for South carolina:

Great hit. But being totally unblocked and blowing up a play in the backfield did not constitute his level of hype. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The "generational talent" moniker gets used every other year to describe the draft's presumed best pass rusher. 

I distinctly remember hearing Clowney, Garrett, Bosa, and Young all described as "generational." It's likely that only one of those guys lives up to that billing. 

Very true. I said something similar in the 'what makes a draft pick a bust' thread...the terms 'great' and even 'good' are thrown around far too liberally.

Bosa and garrett have been productive, but clowney had a rough start to his career and never hit double digit sacks.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, JetsFanShawn said:

CLOWNEY wants to be the next great T i think that the jets should give em what hes asking for a lot of money to bad the jets dont have his money just pay em little by little and if he approves

The Californians Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

https://www.nfl.com/news/titans-gm-wants-to-see-jadeveon-clowney-in-person-before-signing

Titans GM wants to see Jadeveon Clowney in person before signing

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

The Tennessee Titans remain one team rumored to still be in the running to sign pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney.

Titans general manager Jon Robinson told Paul Kuharsky on Tuesday night, during a video conversation to help benefit local Save Haven Family Shelter, that he'd hope to see Clowney in person before making any move.

"What I've seen on Twitter, him rushing off the edge and hitting that bag," he said, via PaulKuharsky.com. "Anytime you are dealing with whatever the contract is going to command, you want to make sure that the player is healthy, that you are able to allow your doctors to see him, to look at it, to make sure everything is going to be good."

Last month, Robinson noted he hadn't had recent conversations with Clowney. Presumably, the Cleveland Browns, who restructured edge rusher Olivier Vernon's deal on Tuesday, are likely out of the running for Clowney, lessening the potential landing spots.

Coming off core muscle surgery, the current restrictions on player physicals have slowed Clowney's market. Teams don't seem willing to meet his contract demands -- reportedly upwards of $20-plus-million per year -- without at least having their own doctors check him out.

It's possible Clowney must wait well into training camp for teams to bring him in for a physical. It also appears likely that he won't get the long-term deal he seeks this offseason. A one-year prove-it deal might be what the athletic pass-rusher is forced to sign, given the realities of a pandemic-strained offseason.

Robinson did give himself a brief moment to vocalize what Clowney could bring to the Titans defense if signed -- hypothetically, of course.

"You've got (Harold) Landry, you've got (Vic) Beasley, you've got Clowney -- hypothetically, to your point -- you've got Jeffery Simmons, you've got DaQuan (Jones), who's got some power rush, you've got (Kamalei) Correa who goes 100 miles an hour, you've got a lot of different pieces that you can move around," he told Kuharsky "And you've got athleticism with Landry, with Beasley, with Correa, you can drop those guys into coverage and send David Long, Rashaan Evans, Jayon Brown or whoever it might be. It just gives you a lot of chess pieces in that game."

Until Tennessee, or any other club, can bring in Clowney for a physical and workout, all Robinson can do is daydream about adding such a chess piece to his board.