Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Samtorobby47

Quincy Enunwa not giving up on playing again

Recommended Posts

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29230831/jets-wr-quincy-enunwa-not-giving-playing-again-neck-injury?platform=amp
 

Good to hear things improved with communication between him and the front office. Feels like Douglas really made it a point to improve in that area. Where Gase might have just done things without explaining anything. 


Would be amazing for Enunwa to play, always thought he’d be a beast if he played a full season. BUT that’s a pipe dream at this point. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can be as determined as he wants, doesnt mean a team is dumb enough to sign him. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its admirable but at a certain point you have to step away from the game before you do irreparable damage to your body that would ruin your post football life.

 

Loved to watch him play, would love to see him play again but he should walk away for his health.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29230831/jets-wr-quincy-enunwa-not-giving-playing-again-neck-injury?platform=amp
 

Good to hear things improved with communication between him and the front office. Feels like Douglas really made it a point to improve in that area. Where Gase might have just done things without explaining anything. 


Would be amazing for Enunwa to play, always thought he’d be a beast if he played a full season. BUT that’s a pipe dream at this point. 

His wife is making him play

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JTJet said:

He can be as determined as he wants, doesnt mean a team is dumb enough to sign him. 

Someone cut him?

Isn't he already on a team, us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Someone cut him?

Isn't he already on a team, us?

As soon as he's healthy enough to cut, the Jets are going to cut him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrcoops said:

Yeah, that was the main thing I took from the article too. I had no idea he had ANOTHER $4.1M in injury guarantees for 2021. Basically, Quincy just needs to pretend that he wants to play again, turn up for rehab, and pocket another $10.1M over 2020 and 2021.

Not blaming Quincy, who is just playing the game based on the contract he signed, but his agent really did a number on Macc with that deal. How can you give so many injury protection guarantees to a guy who is always injured?

Only option would be if he is medically cleared to play before the $4.1MM guarantees, then I assume we could cut him without incurring the $4.1 next season.  His $6.0MM this season is already fully guaranteed (I think).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lith said:

Only option would be if he is medically cleared to play before the $4.1MM guarantees, then I assume we could cut him without incurring the $4.1 next season.  His $6.0MM this season is already fully guaranteed (I think).

I'm not sure. OTC has him getting $3.5M in guaranteed salary, with the rest in a roster bonus. He's not on the roster, so I wouldn't expect that to be paid. 

Next year, he has a $9.8M salary coming his way with no guaranteed money. The Jets aren't paying that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lith said:

Only option would be if he is medically cleared to play before the $4.1MM guarantees, then I assume we could cut him without incurring the $4.1 next season.  His $6.0MM this season is already fully guaranteed (I think).

True, that could be one way out of paying that $4.1M. But I just can't see him ever passing a physical to be medically cleared, either this year or next.

And, yes, his 6M this year is locked in - it's guaranteed for injury, and he is out for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, slats said:

As soon as he's healthy enough to cut, the Jets are going to cut him. 

More than likely, I'm thinking the same thing.  But then again isn't the deal guaranteed?  Other than a roster space if he were on the active roster whats the rush?

And of course unless there is a miracle left in him.  I was shocked he came back earlier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to get paid but I only want to rehab when I feel like it.

As for communication, all these guys need babys sitters it seems.  There are rules and you follow them if not you get dinged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29230831/jets-wr-quincy-enunwa-not-giving-playing-again-neck-injury?platform=amp
 

Good to hear things improved with communication between him and the front office. Feels like Douglas really made it a point to improve in that area. Where Gase might have just done things without explaining anything. 


Would be amazing for Enunwa to play, always thought he’d be a beast if he played a full season. BUT that’s a pipe dream at this point. 

Quincy please stop. Thanks. Good luck. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not sure. OTC has him getting $3.5M in guaranteed salary, with the rest in a roster bonus. He's not on the roster, so I wouldn't expect that to be paid. 

Next year, he has a $9.8M salary coming his way with no guaranteed money. The Jets aren't paying that. 

Spotrac is consistent with what Cimini says.  It refers to a $4.1MM injury guarantee in 2021:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/quincy-enunwa-14620/

"Contract Notes:
$10M fully guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary)
$6M 2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/22/2020 (guaranteed for injury now)
$4,078,588 of 2021 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2021 (guaranteed for injury now)
2021 Escalator: $700,000 (earned with any active game in 2020)
2022 Escalator: $1.9M (earned with any active game in 2020 OR 2021)"

 

Overthecap refers to a partial guarantee for 2021 in the contract notes -- likely the same $4.1MM

https://overthecap.com/player/quincy-enunwa/3148/

"Contract Notes
Quincy Enunwa signed a four year, $36 million extension with the Jets on December 28, 2018. Enunwa received $20.25 million in guarantees, $9.17 million of which is fully guaranteed at signing. Enunwa's signing bonus was $9 million. Enunwa's 2019 and 2020 salaries are guaranteed for injury and his 2021 salary has a partial salary guarantee. Each of those salaries will become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 5th day of that league year. Enunwa's salary cap number increased by $1.8 million in 2018 due to the extension."

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slats said:

Ugh. How could Mac give a dude with a broken neck these kinds of injury guarantees? ****ing mind boggling. 

Make up sex for the Hackenberg pick? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the reason we liked him as a player was the imposing physicality he brought to the position.  So this has the proverbial "less than zero" chance of ending in a comeback on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lith said:

Most telling comment from Cimini's article (at least to me):

"Enunwa remains on the Jets' payroll, earning a fully guaranteed $6 million for 2020. He has a $4.1 million injury guarantee in 2021 as part of the four-year, $33.4 million extension he signed in December, 2018. If he opts for voluntary retirement, he'd jeopardize his salary."

As long as he is due $4.1MM next season, he is likely to keep saying he wants to play rather than retire.  I am still very skeptical that we will ever see him on the football field again.  Can't blame him for wanting his money, though.  Mike Maccagnan - the gift that keeps on giving.

big mac burger GIF

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, slats said:

Ugh. How could Mac give a dude with a broken neck these kinds of injury guarantees? ****ing mind boggling. 

The deal was mind boggling at the time.  Just thankful that we appear to have a better GM in place right now.  As to Quincy, it is probably in his best interest to be the good solider, say the right things, follow treatment/rehab plans, get his $4.1MM next season and then put his Nebraska degree to good use and get on with a healthy life.  With a nice nest egg of $10MM of the Johnsons's money in the bank.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, slats said:

Ugh. How could Mac give a dude with a broken neck these kinds of injury guarantees? ****ing mind boggling. 

@Pac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Quincy Enunwa exhibit should be one of the more popular ones in the Mike Mac Hall of Horrible GM Decisions.  Give an injured player with a serious neck issue and a very physical style of play a big contract with lots of injury guarantees? Why, yes! 

There will be at least two wings in the Hall: Wasted Money and Wasted Draft Picks. With a Starbucks at the center.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this is Q just talking the talk, and not him seriously thinking of returning to the field.

Seems too risky for him to come back, but I'm no doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lith said:

Most telling comment from Cimini's article (at least to me):

"Enunwa remains on the Jets' payroll, earning a fully guaranteed $6 million for 2020. He has a $4.1 million injury guarantee in 2021 as part of the four-year, $33.4 million extension he signed in December, 2018. If he opts for voluntary retirement, he'd jeopardize his salary."

As long as he is due $4.1MM next season, he is likely to keep saying he wants to play rather than retire.  I am still very skeptical that we will ever see him on the football field again.  Can't blame him for wanting his money, though.  Mike Maccagnan - the gift that keeps on giving.

Of course!!  I seriously doubt he ever wants to step on a football field again, but he needs to say he wants to so he can get his money, honey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

Ugh. How could Mac give a dude with a broken neck these kinds of injury guarantees? ****ing mind boggling. 

didnt read the fine print?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

There will be at least two wings in the Hall: Wasted Money and Wasted Draft Picks. With a Starbucks Dunkin Donuts at the center.

Ad-Rock Food GIF by Beastie Boys

thats better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering if this is a "I'm completely willing to play this out until the final check clears" thing or if be really want go fight his way back room injury.  Not that I doubt his sincerity, But if I guaranteed as much as Macc dumped his way.  I'd be playing thet "old college try" tune till the cows came home.

Either way he gets it... but this sure sounds better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...