Quincy Enunwa not giving up on playing again

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29230831/jets-wr-quincy-enunwa-not-giving-playing-again-neck-injury?platform=amp

Good to hear things improved with communication between him and the front office. Feels like Douglas really made it a point to improve in that area. Where Gase might have just done things without explaining anything. 

Would be amazing for Enunwa to play, always thought he’d be a beast if he played a full season. BUT that’s a pipe dream at this point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29230831/jets-wr-quincy-enunwa-not-giving-playing-again-neck-injury?platform=amp

Good to hear things improved with communication between him and the front office. Feels like Douglas really made it a point to improve in that area. Where Gase might have just done things without explaining anything. 

Would be amazing for Enunwa to play, always thought he’d be a beast if he played a full season. BUT that’s a pipe dream at this point. 

His wife is making him play

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Most telling comment from Cimini's article (at least to me):

"Enunwa remains on the Jets' payroll, earning a fully guaranteed $6 million for 2020. He has a $4.1 million injury guarantee in 2021 as part of the four-year, $33.4 million extension he signed in December, 2018. If he opts for voluntary retirement, he'd jeopardize his salary."

As long as he is due $4.1MM next season, he is likely to keep saying he wants to play rather than retire.  I am still very skeptical that we will ever see him on the football field again.  Can't blame him for wanting his money, though.  Mike Maccagnan - the gift that keeps on giving.

Bingo! He'll never step on the field again. This is all about collecting the guaranteed (for injury) $$$ that Macc gave him. Can't blame him because that's the contract both he and the Jets agreed to.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, mrcoops said:

Yeah, that was the main thing I took from the article too. I had no idea he had ANOTHER $4.1M in injury guarantees for 2021. Basically, Quincy just needs to pretend that he wants to play again, turn up for rehab, and pocket another $10.1M over 2020 and 2021.

Not blaming Quincy, who is just playing the game based on the contract he signed, but his agent really did a number on Macc with that deal. How can you give so many injury protection guarantees to a guy who is always injured?

Only option would be if he is medically cleared to play before the $4.1MM guarantees, then I assume we could cut him without incurring the $4.1 next season.  His $6.0MM this season is already fully guaranteed (I think).

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Only option would be if he is medically cleared to play before the $4.1MM guarantees, then I assume we could cut him without incurring the $4.1 next season.  His $6.0MM this season is already fully guaranteed (I think).

I'm not sure. OTC has him getting $3.5M in guaranteed salary, with the rest in a roster bonus. He's not on the roster, so I wouldn't expect that to be paid. 

Next year, he has a $9.8M salary coming his way with no guaranteed money. The Jets aren't paying that. 

1 minute ago, Lith said:

True, that could be one way out of paying that $4.1M. But I just can't see him ever passing a physical to be medically cleared, either this year or next.

And, yes, his 6M this year is locked in - it's guaranteed for injury, and he is out for the year.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

As soon as he's healthy enough to cut, the Jets are going to cut him. 

More than likely, I'm thinking the same thing.  But then again isn't the deal guaranteed?  Other than a roster space if he were on the active roster whats the rush?

And of course unless there is a miracle left in him.  I was shocked he came back earlier.  

35 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Quincy please stop. Thanks. Good luck. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not sure. OTC has him getting $3.5M in guaranteed salary, with the rest in a roster bonus. He's not on the roster, so I wouldn't expect that to be paid. 

Next year, he has a $9.8M salary coming his way with no guaranteed money. The Jets aren't paying that. 

Spotrac is consistent with what Cimini says.  It refers to a $4.1MM injury guarantee in 2021:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/quincy-enunwa-14620/

"Contract Notes:
$10M fully guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary)
$6M 2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/22/2020 (guaranteed for injury now)
$4,078,588 of 2021 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2021 (guaranteed for injury now)
2021 Escalator: $700,000 (earned with any active game in 2020)
2022 Escalator: $1.9M (earned with any active game in 2020 OR 2021)"

Overthecap refers to a partial guarantee for 2021 in the contract notes -- likely the same $4.1MM

https://overthecap.com/player/quincy-enunwa/3148/

"Contract Notes
Quincy Enunwa signed a four year, $36 million extension with the Jets on December 28, 2018. Enunwa received $20.25 million in guarantees, $9.17 million of which is fully guaranteed at signing. Enunwa's signing bonus was $9 million. Enunwa's 2019 and 2020 salaries are guaranteed for injury and his 2021 salary has a partial salary guarantee. Each of those salaries will become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 5th day of that league year. Enunwa's salary cap number increased by $1.8 million in 2018 due to the extension."

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Lith said:

"Enunwa remains on the Jets' payroll, earning a fully guaranteed $6 million for 2020. He has a $4.1 million injury guarantee in 2021 as part of the four-year, $33.4 million extension he signed in December, 2018. If he opts for voluntary retirement, he'd jeopardize his salary."

As long as he is due $4.1MM next season, he is likely to keep saying he wants to play rather than retire.  I am still very skeptical that we will ever see him on the football field again.  Can't blame him for wanting his money, though.  Mike Maccagnan - the gift that keeps on giving.

big mac burger GIF

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Ugh. How could Mac give a dude with a broken neck these kinds of injury guarantees? ****ing mind boggling. 

The deal was mind boggling at the time.  Just thankful that we appear to have a better GM in place right now.  As to Quincy, it is probably in his best interest to be the good solider, say the right things, follow treatment/rehab plans, get his $4.1MM next season and then put his Nebraska degree to good use and get on with a healthy life.  With a nice nest egg of $10MM of the Johnsons's money in the bank.

• Upvote 1

The Quincy Enunwa exhibit should be one of the more popular ones in the Mike Mac Hall of Horrible GM Decisions.  Give an injured player with a serious neck issue and a very physical style of play a big contract with lots of injury guarantees? Why, yes! 

There will be at least two wings in the Hall: Wasted Money and Wasted Draft Picks. With a Starbucks at the center.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Of course!!  I seriously doubt he ever wants to step on a football field again, but he needs to say he wants to so he can get his money, honey!

Just wondering if this is a "I'm completely willing to play this out until the final check clears" thing or if be really want go fight his way back room injury.  Not that I doubt his sincerity, But if I guaranteed as much as Macc dumped his way.  I'd be playing thet "old college try" tune till the cows came home.

Either way he gets it... but this sure sounds better.