Flacco Speaks!!!

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We had one of the 2 easiest schedules in the league last year.  That won't be the case this season.  There isn't a single easy-looking game on the schedule. 

And while we traveled the least amount of total distance on road games last season of any team in the NFL, this year we have 3 west coast trips (@ Chargers, @ Seahawks, @ Rams) along with a game @ KC, where we never win.

The Patriots outscored us by a total of 49 points and went 12-4 with Brady playing at QB16/QB17  levels all season so don't exactly expect a sweep over them, either.  They aren't built on their offense anymore.  NE and Buffalo will duke it out for the division title, and I wouldn't be surprised at all for the Patriots to come out on top, no matter how loaded the Bills' roster is.  Belichick is still there, the same guy that went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as his QB.

Vegas has us at 6.5-7 wins and you say 10-11?  Come on.  We only had two 10+ win seasons the entire last decade, and JD didn't magically give us a winning roster overnight.  It takes time to clean up the mess Macc made the previous 5 years.

I think this team will shine in 2021 after another solid offseason, with JD taking some bigger swings with his free agent acquisitions than he did this past offseason.  But 2020 just isn't going to be our year unless Darnold puts up an absolute monster year.  I'd love for that to happen, but I just don't see it.

Strength of schedule in May is irrelevant. Teams change year over year.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps Douglas foresees a delay to the start of the season?  

Assuming the season does start on time, I imagine Mike White could play a crucial role in the preseason prep.  He might just end up being the QB2 for however long it takes Flacco to heal up, while presumably Morgan is the QB3 and Fales tries to grab a Practice Squad spot.  

It's certainly not an ideal situation.  But if Darnold gets hurt early on and misses Week 1 (or more) we have bigger concerns anyways; Darnold will have then missed out on 7+ games in his career already due to various ailments/injuries.

Why would Fales be behind White and Morgan?  He knows the system better, and has been around longer The Jets obviously preferred Fales to White last year because White was a free agent when they brought Fales in.  Fales played for Gase and Loggains in Chicago and Miami.  He was picked up by the Ravens after Douglas left, but they were all in Chicago together.  I think Fales suffers from having a last name too similar to Falk.  IIRC, Morgan and White are kind of big armed lead foots (feet?) like Flacco, which fits the DWC theory of a
"Gase QB."  They are lottery tickets.  Fales is more the chicken armed career backup.  My take is Fales is the backup  until Flacco is ready, unless White or Morgan really impresses in camp.  They will carry Morgan as #3 barring an enormous flameout (Tahj Boyd, cough, cough)  and maybe PS White.  When Flacco is ready, they cut Fales and Morgan remains #3.

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Saw the other day that Flacco won't be ready for our opener.  What if Darnold gets hurt week one (remember Vinny's injury)?  Why sign a guy coming off neck surgery in April?

Flacco (neck) confirmed Tuesday he won't be healthy in time for the Jets' season opener against the Bills on Sept. 13, Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports.

This was speculated after the veteran quarterback underwent a disc repair procedure in early April, and the Jets were aware of the recovery timeline when they signed him to a one-year, $1.5 million deal last week. Flacco will serve as the top backup to Sam Darnold once healthy, but David Fales and rookie James Morgan will compete in training camp for the job until the veteran is able to suit up. Flacco could still be cleared for contact sometime in September.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1250697/joe-flacco

I don't waste my time on what ifs. But if it happens, l know the answer. Morgan will start and he's better than the turds we had backing up last year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ECURB said:

Strength of schedule in May is irrelevant. Teams change year over year.

It's not irrelevant when you consider all of the points I made in that post. 

We KNOW last year's schedule was exceedingly easy.  Want to bet that will be the case again this year?  Especially with the higher quality of QB's on the schedule this year?  I don't see Dwayne Haskins or Daniel Jones on it this year.  I DO see Pat Mahomes and Russell Wilson.

We KNOW west coast road trips are more difficult than other trips, all things being equal.  We had zero such trips last year.  We have 3 this year.

So just factoring in those 2 points, we can be confident the schedule will be significantly tougher without a down being played.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why would Fales be behind White and Morgan?  He knows the system better, and has been around longer The Jets obviously preferred Fales to White last year because White was a free agent when they brought Fales in.  Fales played for Gase and Loggains in Chicago and Miami.  He was picked up by the Ravens after Douglas left, but they were all in Chicago together.  I think Fales suffers from having a last name too similar to Falk.  IIRC, Morgan and White are kind of big armed lead foots (feet?) like Flacco, which fits the DWC theory of a
"Gase QB."  They are lottery tickets.  Fales is more the chicken armed career backup.  My take is Fales is the backup  until Flacco is ready, unless White or Morgan really impresses in camp.  They will carry Morgan as #3 barring an enormous flameout (Tahj Boyd, cough, cough)  and maybe PS White.  When Flacco is ready, they cut Fales and Morgan remains #3.

OK, fair enough.  Doesn't matter much to me whether its Fales or White as the QB2 until Flacco is healthy, with the other going to the PS.  I think we'll get by regardless.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK, fair enough.  Doesn't matter much to me whether its Fales or White as the QB2 until Flacco is healthy, with the other going to the PS.  I think we'll get by regardless.  

Yeah.  Not that i think you are far off, just a lot of people rip on Fales and act like it is because he sucked last year and he didnt even play.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  Not that i think you are far off, just a lot of people rip on Fales and act like it is because he sucked last year and he didnt even play.

True.  I guess I just have a bias against Gase's handpicked guy and prefer the one with the stronger physical gifts.  

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not irrelevant when you consider all of the points I made in that post. 

We KNOW last year's schedule was exceedingly easy.  Want to bet that will be the case again this year?  Especially with the higher quality of QB's on the schedule this year?  I don't see Dwayne Haskins or Daniel Jones on it this year.  I DO see Pat Mahomes and Russell Wilson.

We KNOW west coast road trips are more difficult than other trips, all things being equal.  We had zero such trips last year.  We have 3 this year.

So just factoring in those 2 points, we can be confident the schedule will be significantly tougher without a down being played.

Two of the games “strength” are based on having Tom Brady as QB and now have Stidham.

they play Drew Lock and Tyrod/Herbert

you really think Stidham and Lock are so much tougher than Haskins or Jones?

Two of the games “strength” are based on having Tom Brady as QB and now have Stidham. they play Drew Lock and Tyrod/Herbert you really think Stidham and Lock are so much tougher than Haskins or Jones?   

Brady was about the 16th or 17th best QB in the league last season and the Pats still went 12-4. Counting on them to fail miserably is a fool’s mentality. We’re not sweeping them next season. Belichick is still the coach and their defense is excellent.  

The Bills and Dolphins will be tougher than last season, too. Those expecting the Jets to go 5-1 or 4-2 in division games will end up disappointed.

And yes, I think Lock and Taylor/Herbert are significantly better than Jones and Haskins. Jones is a dink and dunk, inaccurate QB with a severe fumbling problem. Haskins will be done as an NFL starter midway through this season.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brady was about the 16th or 17th best QB in the league last season and the Pats still went 12-4. Counting on them to fail miserably is a fool’s mentality. We’re not sweeping them next season. Belichick is still the coach and their defense is excellent.  

The Bills and Dolphins will be tougher than last season, too. Those expecting the Jets to go 5-1 or 4-2 in division games will end up disappointed.

And yes, I think Lock and Taylor/Herbert are significantly better than Jones and Haskins. Jones is a dink and dunk, inaccurate QB with a severe fumbling problem. Haskins will be done as an NFL starter midway through this season.

Workout Brady playing like typical Brady we saw how far their "excellent" D took them.