You’re Wrong Bell is NOT washed-up!!!

He's not washed.  He played 10-15 pounds over his optimal playing weight.  He was in good shape, not excellent.

He needs to slim back down again, ala Balboa in Rocky III.  "He looks like a middleweight."

I would think, at least in part, the Gore signing is a positive motivational way to address the issue.

• Upvote 4

2 things that stood out. Obviously the O-line didn't help him out much. And play calling was what it was. I think later in the season Gase had better play calling for him. He was a top 5 back IMHO in the NFL. I think he still should put up some very good numbers.

He kept a good attitude last year and was at least saying the right things when interviewed. The box was stacked most of the time and when you don't have a good O-line.....well you see what happened.

While the O-line may be improved this year, the Jets are still going to be middle of the pack at best.

So it's up to Adam Gase to dial up the plays that will be utilizing his strengths. We shall see.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I thought Bell got the yards that were there. I certainly didn't see anything special. He was decent as a receiver out of the backfield. Jets need more out of him for the money he's making.

so now he's a good back but not worth the cost.  maybe.  i mean he certainly got a fat contract from mac and we certainly should be expecting more.  but it's kind of like dissing adams because he was picked 6th or qwill for being picked 3rd or guys like leo.  the thing is it's not always the player's fault with regard to money and it certainly isn't a player's draft position.

imo bell will be much better this season now that he's back to playing football as opposed to sitting out a year and will have an oline that should be able to open holes for him to run through.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I thought Bell got the yards that were there. I certainly didn't see anything special. He was decent as a receiver out of the backfield. Jets need more out of him for the money he's making.

he was the best WR on the field that we didnt throw to..or block for

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

He's still got it and if the OL improves, the old Bell will be back.  How many plays did he make something out of nothing and not lose yards last year?  How many times watching the game did you feel bad for Bell because he literally was met at the LOS on almost every single run?  He's fine, he's still elite.  He's arguably the best WR on the team.  

One of those ridiculous throws that Sam made this year with a rusher draped all over him, was to Bell on the sideline and his jab step to make the guy miss was still one of the best in the business.  It's in there, you just cant showcase it when you're met on average at 1.5 yards past the LOS and the league average is over 4.  But yeah, you can totally tell he's washed up with an OL blocking like that!

yes to all this but also how many plays did you see him still going while the rest of the offense stopped. It was pathetic. that is why it is so hard for me to buy into this gase is a great coach, even if you discount the stats and over all playcalling, lets just say you take all that out. You are still left with an entire side of the ball that didnt finish plays and at best half assed it. Bell was out there giving it his all and the only other guys playing toward the end of hte play was the def. A good coach even with bad players has them playing hard. We did not get that last year. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone who thinks a 28 year old guy that recently took a year off to heal his body from the pounding of the NFL is already washed up is a moron. The offensive line was washed up last season, couldn't make Barry Sanders look serviceable.

Bell is good, and this year will prove it with the oline finally revamped to NFL caliber again. If they suck this year it'll be easy to point fingers at Pollack,  and rightfully so. I had my doubts about him last season but l hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

Bell is slow AF and running backs don't get faster as they get older 

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82157/inside-look-at-leveon-bells-historically-poor-season-with-jets

Bell didn't pass the eyeball test, as he appeared a half-step slower than in the past. He was in great shape at the start of the season, but some wonder if he gained weight. Great runners have the ability to make something out of nothing, and Bell didn't do that. Incredibly, he reached 15 mph on only six runs, per NFL Next Gen Stats. The Jacksonville Jaguars' Leonard Fournette, a similarly built runner, did it 44 times.

Some will point to Bell's patient running style, but that doesn't fly. He got to the line of scrimmage faster than he did in Pittsburgh -- 2.84 seconds to 3.09, which shows he tried to adjust because of the circumstances.

https://www.espn.com.sg/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/81585/leveon-bell-could-be-one-and-done-with-jets-but-theres-no-easy-way-out

It's unfair to criticize Bell because of the line issues, but let's be honest: He has left some yards on the field. He's not a great fit in a zone-blocking scheme because he can't plant and make the quick, upfield cut. His average speed at the line of scrimmage is 8.25 mph, according to NFL Next Gen Stats -- which ranks 25th out of 26 running backs with at least 100 carries. The New York Giants recognized this last week, and used a scheme that basically dared him to run outside.

Now Bell is dealing with a sore knee and sore ribs, which have affected his blocking. Coach Adam Gase would be wise to give Bilal Powell, quicker to the hole than Bell, a few more chances.

Every Adams thread should be a Bell thread. 

#26 is a sinkhole on the roster 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Bell is slow AF and running backs don't get faster as they get older 

Every Adams thread should be a Bell thread. 

#26 is a sinkhole on the roster 

That might the dumbest article I’ve ever read.  Right up there with the MPH knock on Watson at combine.  My god dude lol

• Post of the Week 1

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought Bell looked pretty good for most of last year behind a putrid line. Never went down against the first defender, always fought for yards, fairly elusive, made some great catches.

Speed was never his game but frankly, we just had a bad offense that used him poorly.

• Post of the Week 1

Look I admit I was not a supporter of signing bell.  I would have rather used that money to fill other holes.  However I don’t think he is washed up.  I think there were two issues.  First off he sat out an entire year which definitely affected him.  No matter how much you prepare when you miss an entire year you are gonna look a step slower especially as a RB.  Secondly is our offense line was horrendous.  I expect Bell to have a bounce back year 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Look I admit I was not a supporter of signing bell.  I would have rather used that money to fill other holes.  However I don’t think he is washed up.  I think there were two issues.  First off he sat out an entire year which definitely affected him.  No matter how much you prepare when you miss an entire year you are gonna look a step slower especially as a RB.  Secondly is our offense line was horrendous.  I expect Bell to have a bounce back year 

I was against signing Bell but he’s here now at least one more season.  We really need him to have a big year

• Upvote 2

On 5/28/2020 at 10:31 PM, BurnleyJet said:

I’m yet to be convinced, he won’t have any excuses this season with the revamped Oline. He’s playing for his career. 

That is exactly why he'll show up in shape.  The writing is on the wall regarding him being released after the 2020 season so it is really the same as a contract year.  We all know these guys play hardest when their money is on the line.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

That is exactly why he'll show up in shape.  The writing is on the wall regarding him being released after the 2020 season so it is really the same as a contract year.  We all know these guys play hardest when their money is on the line.

But he already got his money. He could quit football and theoretically, he'd be set for life. Unless he wants one more pay day, but even if he has a big season, he won't get it on account of his age.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:36 PM, JiF said:

That might the dumbest article I’ve ever read.  Right up there with the MPH knock on Watson at combine.  My god dude lol

yeah what does an NFL RB need to run fast for? 

He can just saunter up there and have tea and crumpets with Ed Oliver 

what are we talking about the RB1 runs 8 mph and everyone blames the line

iTs TeH OfFEnSIVE LinE! 

this is what Jets fans tell themselves rather than face the horrible truth Sam isn't that great (he gets his 2.5 seconds) and Bell is god awful possibly the worst starting RB in football. 

5 hours ago, predator_05 said:

But he already got his money. He could quit football and theoretically, he'd be set for life. Unless he wants one more pay day, but even if he has a big season, he won't get it on account of his age.

Not really.  He got nothing while sitting out 2018. He earned $14.5 million on his 2019 Jets contract. 2020 $6.5 million base salary and $5 million roster bonus.  Total for his two years with the Jets $26 million.  Again, zero income in 2018 so $26 million over three years. 

After 2020 there is no more guaranteed money on Bell's Jets contract.  Dead cap hit is $4 million.

While that's all the money in the world for you and me, it's not top dollar by NFL standards. He screwed himself without the benefit of a lube job by passing on the Steelers francise tag and sitting out the 2018 season.  

If he has a great year, he'll get signed somewhere especially if he is productive as both a runner and receiver.  Heck, Todd Gurley has a job.