Schein: Bold NFL Predictions - "Sam Darnold will become a star"

22 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

ur the one who came up with this manipulated data to try to bolster your support for Sam.

i watched entirely too much Jets these last 2 years cos JetNation had me believeing that we had a special QB who was gonna change the team...

what I have seen is a kid in over his head alotta the time.  who is most likely Andy Dalton 2.0

who has four 300 yd games in 2 yrs and under 200 11 times....

First off all, removing the top and bottom extremes in an effort to find a mean isn't something I, "came up with," it's a common and respected method. If I wanted to manipulate, I would've just pulled the Pats game. I took out his best game, too, in an effort to be fair. It's that Pat game, though, that was the true outlier. 

Secondly, are you familiar, at all, with how bad his supporting cast has been? Like bottom of the league bad? I don't know what you're looking at, if you're looking, if you can't see that Darnold has a ton of talent and next to no one on the field with him to allow him to take advantage of it. If the OL is just average this year, I expect Sam to be in the top ten discussion by whatever means anyone chooses to use. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

First off all, removing the top and bottom extremes in an effort to find a mean isn't something I, "came up with," it's a common and respected method. If I wanted to manipulate, I would've just pulled the Pats game. I took out his best game, too, in an effort to be fair. It's that Pat game, though, that was the true outlier. 

Secondly, are you familiar, at all, with how bad his supporting cast has been? Like bottom of the league bad? I don't know what you're looking at, if you're looking, if you can't see that Darnold has a ton of talent and next to no one on the field with him to allow him to take advantage of it. If the OL is just average this year, I expect Sam to be in the top ten discussion by whatever means anyone chooses to use. 

Yes, he has some talent. I see that he can be a decent QB in the NFL. 

"special"  " a ton of talent"

no. i dont see that. not yet.

i'd really hoped that the Dallas game was a turning point last year...  then he shat himself on Monday night v the Pats.

McClowns supporting cast was bad too.  Just as bad. And his 2017 is better than Sams first 2 years. That gives me the yips.

Peace, man.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

bad too.  Just as bad. And his 2017 is better than Sams first 2 years. That gives me the yips.

Peace, man.

you are comparing nearly 2 decades of NFL experience with a rookie-sophomore  20-21 yr old who had mono.  OK.  

Let's just forget you ever typed that.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

you are comparing nearly 2 decades of NFL experience with a rookie-sophomore  20-21 yr old who had mono.  OK.  

Let's just forget you ever typed that.

yeah, a journeyman pine rider vs a guy whose sposed to be great. hiding behind his age is weak.

• Upvote 1

yeah, a journeyman pine rider vs a guy whose sposed to be great. hiding behind his age is weak.

No it's not.  It's realistic.  You are delusional to think that every 20, 21, 22 yr old 1st round pick QB is going to go out there and perform like Mahomes in his first year as a starter (his sophomore year) or Watson in his.   They were more aberration than typical.  Historically, how many times has that happened?   You react like it's common place for a guy that young to come in and tear it up in his first 2 seasons.  Plus he was debilitated for most of last season, which you insist on ignoring out of convenience.  For most young QBs, it takes a few years and you should know that.  Brees, Manning... the vast majority.  For you NOT to give Sam time (especially since he was drafted at 20 years old)  is patently absurd and, IMO, your expectations were unrealistic for the first 2 years.  But hey, it's your shtick, and I guess you're going to shtick to it even though it is based on highly unrealistic expectations. 

• Upvote 2

Dude we get that you’re mad about wasting money on the Sunday package, but that’s not Darnold’s fault.

He hasn’t been In Mahomes or Watson’s league for his first two years, but the point everyone’s been trying to make to you for months is that if you shell out for the Sunday package for a few more years, there is enough there to assume that you will enjoy a return on your money.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

for a guy that young to come in and tear it up in his first 2 seasons.  lus he was debilitated for most of last season, which you insist on ignoring out of convenience.  For most young QBs, it takes a few years and you should know that.  

i suppose my excpectations were in line with a #6 and 3 2nd rnders.

And all the hyperbolic praise by JetNation. 

He's been poor. I expect average or above.

I didnt realize Jet nation gave new Qbs a free 2 yr pass. 

And I wanted Watson, but, hey we got a box safety.

Over-expectation to perform better than Josh ******* McClown? wow. 

Who thge **** is even saying Mahomes and Watson, I am looking at McClown and Fitz and he cant even do that....

Again, I woulda been down with average. 2 Bottom six season is garbage output for a kid who is sposed to be special.

That sorta seesm to me like a kid who didnt deserve to walk into a starting job as an NFL Qb. In over his head.

But maybe the reality is that , he's simply not all that special? 

Ya want schtick? 

How bout masturbation GIFs because of completions in practice?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i suppose my excpectations were in line with a #6 and 3 2nd rnders.

He's been poor. I expect average or above.

And I wanted Watson, but, hey we got a box safety.

Over-expectation to perform better than Josh ******* McClown? wow. 

Who thge **** is even saying Mahomes and Watson, I am looking at McClown and Fitz and he cant even do that....

Again, I woulda been down with average. 2 Bottom six season is garbage output for a kid who is sposed to be special.

That sorta seesm to me like a kid who didnt deserve to walk into a starting job as an NFL Qb. In over his head.

But maybe the reality is that , he's simply not all that special? 

Ya want schtick? 

you don't get it.  Not one word of the above of the above gets that the kid was 20 and 21 with Mono.  Your expectations are delusional with a capital D.  You evaluation is also way off.  I'm done answering your Darnold over reactions.

I just feel like you may be putting too much weight on what biased, unqualified fans say on an internet fan forum dedicated to a specific team. 

Welcome to the internet. You’re a little late, so we started without you.

Our new owner has set a tone of patience after announcing our 2018 rebuild.  That goes for fans too.  And we are well ahead of schedule.  

SAR I

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

you don't get it.  Not one word of the above of the above gets that the kid was 20 and 21 with Mono.  Your expectations are delusional with a capital D.  You evaluation is also way off.  I'm done answering your Darnold over reactions.

so you are saying its was a mistake to draft a 20 y/o cos he wasnt ready and should have no expectations?

thats your bag. me? so far, he's not worth what we paid for him and has been a disappointment.

you expected nothing, congrats the Jets have changed your DNA as a sports fan.

57 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

so you are saying its was a mistake to draft a 20 y/o cos he wasnt ready and should have no expectations?

thats your bag. me? so far, he's not worth what we paid for him and has been a disappointment.

you expected nothing, congrats the Jets have changed your DNA as a sports fan.

Why do you always read words that don't exist? Where did I say it was a mistake to draft Darnold?  LOL.  I had no expectations of him being great in year one.  And after the skinny weak version that showed up after mono, there went the 1st half or more of season 2.  I would draft him over Mayfield, Allen and Rosen in a nano second.  Your expectations for years 1 & 2 were totally unrealistic.  If he didn't do a Watson year 1 or Mahomes year 2 perfomance, anyone is going to suck to you.  Problem is those performances are quite rare and unfortunately we didn't get that.  Your impatience is borderline childlike.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Your impatience is borderline childlike.

let's see..   rooting for Jets since 1975....

retrospectively, i dindt really like the Qb class much..  i dont belive in Mayfield quite...   he'll be OK I think...

every year they have to pimp SOMEBODIES...  

expecting him to be better than a 15 yr backup, such a high bar,...

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

expecting him to be better than a 15 yr backup, such a high bar,...

for a rookie...?  yes.  For a sophomore with compromised strength and stamina for the first half of the season in year 2  and  with no OL?  .... yes.  

Reality.  Worth a visit sometime.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

for a rookie...?  yes.  For a sophomore with compromised strength and stamina for the first half of the season in year 2  and  with no OL?  .... yes.  

Reality.  Worth a visit sometime.  

We differ. I expected more- at least average. 

16 hours ago, TNJet said:

But, but, Josh Allen is sooo much better...lmfao.

What does this even mean? What are you LMFAOing about?

At this point in their careers, there's really not much separating any of these guys, except for Lamar Jackson.

Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen were considered the top 3 of that class. Jackson has blown everyone out of the water, he's way better than all of them. Rosen has done nothing, Mayfield and Darnold haven't lived up to their hype. Allen, who was supposedly the most raw and looked at as a project type, has at the very least shown he's the equal of Darnold and Mayfield so far.

You can choose whoever you like best among those 3 and root for him, that's fine, but the truth is after two seasons none of the QBs from '18 (except for Jackson) has proven themselves as FQBs. 

You have nothing to LMFAO about.

I could care less what Schein or any of these guys think about these QBs. This is their 3rd season as starters. 

We know Jackson is the league MVP. He's already proven he's a star FQB. Darnold, Allen and Mayfield are all playing on improved teams, and have enough talent around them to win. No more excuses this year. Let's see who does... it's time. Darnold and Allen are both in probably the weakest division in the NFL. Mayfield and the Browns should at worst be a WC team, even though the North is a lot tougher than the East, no excuses for them either.

Jackson is the cream of the crop, lets sit back and see which of the other 3 (if any) can show us this year they belong in the conversation.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

At this point in their careers, there's really not much separating any of these guys, except for Lamar Jackson.

Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen were considered the top 3 of that class. Jackson has blown everyone out of the water, he's way better than all of them. Rosen has done nothing, Mayfield and Darnold haven't lived up to their hype. Allen, who was supposedly the most raw and looked at as a project type, has at the very least shown he's the equal of Darnold and Mayfield so far.

You can choose whoever you like best among those 3 and root for him, that's fine, but the truth is after two seasons none of the QBs from '18 (except for Jackson) has proven themselves as FQBs. 

That probably has something to do with the Browns, Jets, and Cards/Fins not being good teams, making them tough spots for a rookie qb to blossom into a FQB.

Context matters, some people see it others don't. If Lamar Jackson gets drafted by the Jets, Browns, or Cardinals does he win MVP and look like the next amazing qb talent along with Mahomes and others? Maybe, but probably not. Only thing I know for certain is that those 3 teams have no where near as good of a roster as Baltimore, and Harbaugh with the rest of his coaching staff is top 5 in the league. Built a perfect offensive scheme for Lamar, meanwhile Sam is playing in his 1st season with the same offensive playbook since college, same boat Baker is in. Josh Allen is in another good situation, great D, solid OLine and offense. Imagine the Jets drafting Allen, i imagine results would have been worse.

If the Jets OLine can give Sam even average protection IMO I expect him to take a big step and look like a FQB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I could care less what Schein or any of these guys think about these QBs. This is their 3rd season as starters. 

We know Jackson is the league MVP. He's already proven he's a star FQB. Darnold, Allen and Mayfield are all playing on improved teams, and have enough talent around them to win. No more excuses this year. Let's see who does... it's time. Darnold and Allen are both in probably the weakest division in the NFL. Mayfield and the Browns should at worst be a WC team, even though the North is a lot tougher than the East, no excuses for them either.

Jackson is the cream of the crop, lets sit back and see which of the other 3 (if any) can show us this year they belong in the conversation.

Agreed. This year is huge for all the QB's from that draft class.

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If I were the GM of the Jets, and Baltimore called to offer Jackson and  a no. 1 pick for Sam,  I'd hang up them. 

• Haha 1

Just now, MindOverMatter said:

That probably has something to do with the Browns, Jets, and Cards/Fins not being good teams, making them tough spots for a rookie qb to blossom into a FQB.

Context matters, some people see it others don't. If Lamar Jackson gets drafted by the Jets, Browns, or Cardinals does he win MVP and look like the next amazing qb talent along with Mahomes and others? Maybe, but probably not. Only thing I know for certain is that those 3 teams have no where near as good of a roster as Baltimore, and Harbaugh with the rest of his coaching staff is top 5 in the league. Built a perfect offensive scheme for Lamar, meanwhile Sam is playing in his 1st season with the same offensive playbook since college, same boat Baker is in. Josh Allen is in another good situation, great D, solid OLine and offense. Imagine the Jets drafting Allen, i imagine results would have been worse.

If the Jets OLine can give Sam even average protection IMO I expect him to take a big step and look like a FQB.

I get what you're saying about Jackson and where he was drafted, I used to feel the same way. Then someone here showed what their record was their last few years Flacco was their starting QB. It wasn't good, then midway through the'18 season they pulled Flacco and gave Jackson his shot. He turned them around right away. He might have even saved Harbaugh from being fired. Remember how that was a thing at the time?

Where Harbaugh and the organization really showed their mettle though was between the '18 and '19 seasons. That's when they knew they had to go all in on Jackson. They changed their offense and personnel to fit him. Not many teams would do that for a 21 year old QB with half a season under his belt. They did, and it paid off. Now it seems like the Ravens have joined the Chiefs as one of the two "powers" of the AFC going forward.

Just now, YankeeJet22 said:

If I were the GM of the Jets, and Baltimore called to offer Jackson and  a no. 1 pick for Sam,  I'd hang up them. 

:roll:  Well, that's why you're not qualified to be the GM of the Jets. Nor will you ever be.

Just now, 14 in Green said:

I get what you're saying about Jackson and where he was drafted, I used to feel the same way. Then someone here showed what their record was their last few years Flacco was their starting QB. It wasn't good, then midway through the'18 season they pulled Flacco and gave Jackson his shot. He turned them around right away. He might have even saved Harbaugh from being fired. Remember how that was a thing at the time?

Where Harbaugh and the organization really showed their mettle though was between the '18 and '19 seasons. That's when they knew they had to go all in on Jackson. They changed their offense and personnel to fit him. Not many teams would do that for a 21 year old QB with half a season under his belt. They did, and it paid off. Now it seems like the Ravens have joined the Chiefs as one of the two "powers" of the AFC going forward.

Yeah, I hear ya but they went all in on Jackson because that's what good coaching staffs do. Flacco was done at that point, molding the team around Jackson was less ballsy and more logical.

And as of right now Lamar and Baltimore are regular season stars, but in the playoffs in both of Lamars 1st two years have been bad. Losing to the Chargers in his rookie year and the Titans in his 2nd, neither were great teams and Lamar came up short in both games. If the Ravens go 11-5 this year but lose to the Bills in the WC game, what's the narrative on Jackson going forward?

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

I agree 100%. I started a thread -like last year- about it. Just what you said; these QBs are as good as their situations. It’s even more true now. John Harbaugh might be the best coach in the NFL. On 25 other teams, Lamar Jackson is a gimmick player almost giving up hope to get a fair chance. Allen is easily in the next best situation, Rosen in the worst, and Darnold and Mayfield in very similar, crappy boats (although Mayfield has had a lot more talent around him than Darnold). 

And Allen is Jackson lite right now. Trying to do the same things, but not doing any of them as well. If I’m a Ravens fan, I love Lamar Jackson, but I don’t really want him rushing for 1000 yards every year. I want that to be a threat, not the offense. Maybe that’s because I’m getting old, but I’ve seen a lot of running QBs in my day (Sonny!) and I’m not convinced, yet, that it’s sustainable. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, MindOverMatter said:

Yeah, I hear ya but they went all in on Jackson because that's what good coaching staffs do. Flacco was done at that point, molding the team around Jackson was less ballsy and more logical.

And as of right now Lamar and Baltimore are regular season stars, but in the playoffs in both of Lamars 1st two years have been bad. Losing to the Chargers in his rookie year and the Titans in his 2nd, neither were great teams and Lamar came up short in both games. If the Ravens go 11-5 this year but lose to the Bills in the WC game, what's the narrative on Jackson going forward?

Yeah, eventually a player has to take that next step, however lets not lose perspective here.

Jackson, Allen and Darnold are all just a couple of months apart in age. I don't agree with the "using age as an excuse" thing, but if we do it here, I'll give them that same excuse.

You ask a good question though, here's the best one I can give you.

I'd say it depends on how well he played in the loss, and how good was the team he lost to? I think getting to the playoffs is a big accomplishment, and there's no shame getting beat, unless you're an overwhelming favorite.

Some teams take a while longer to break through, or they're just not good enough. Then there's the "luck" factor also. Who you play, how hot are they? So many variables... I think Brees and Rodgers have one ring each. Does that mean they aren't as good as Eli? Or that they're only as good as Flacco?

I hope you don't think I ducked your question, its just a really hard one to answer...

2 hours ago, slats said:

I agree 100%. I started a thread -like last year- about it. Just what you said; these QBs are as good as their situations. It’s even more true now. John Harbaugh might be the best coach in the NFL. On 25 other teams, Lamar Jackson is a gimmick player almost giving up hope to get a fair chance. Allen is easily in the next best situation, Rosen in the worst, and Darnold and Mayfield I’m very similar, crappy boats (although Mayfield has had a lot more talent around him than Darnold). 

And Allen is Jackson lite right now. Trying to do the same things, but not doing any of them as well. If I’m a Ravens fan, I love Lamar Jackson, but I don’t really want him rushing for 1000 yards every year. I want that to be a threat, not the offense. Maybe that’s because I’m getting old, but I’ve seen a lot of running QBs in my day (Sonny!) and I’m not convinced, yet, that it’s sustainable. 

Do you think the new rules protecting QBs both in the pocket, and when out of it (sliding) could change your opinion on that?

See, I'm not worried so much about a running QB if they know when and how to get down. It's when guys like Allen and Jackson, who are still so young and probably feel invincible either look for contact or meet it head on that I worry.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

You have nothing to LMFAO about.

The fact that Josh can't hold Sam's jock at anything regarding the QB position but played on a much better team with a better head coach. Bills made the playoffs so "Allen" gets the undeserved nod as the AFC Easts best QB. I call hogwash. 

Just now, TNJet said:

The fact that Josh can't hold Sam's jock at anything regarding the QB position but played on a much better team with a better head coach. Bills made the playoffs so "Allen" gets the undeserved nod as the AFC Easts best QB. I call hogwash. 

Sorry. gave up trying after "can't hold Sam's jock"

English I'm ok with, maybe even basic level Italian. I have trouble understanding Homerish though.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

English I'm ok with, maybe even basic level Italian. I have trouble understanding Homerish though.

Oh not homerish. Straight fact.

What do you like about Josh the most? His knuckleball Hackenberg over throws, or his 4 fumbles per game average?

On 5/30/2020 at 10:56 AM, Losmeister said:

it IS A THING

benched in year one...after losses to Minny, Chi and Miami...  7 int 2 td    17, 10 and 6 pts

Played real well vs Dalls and then shat himself

Pats Jax and Fins last year to put us at 1-7       8 int 3 td    0, 15 and 18 pts

maybe you drink more than me and your brain is wet, although i very much doubt you drink more than me

and thats NOT bragging....  :-(

So this offense sucking isn’t because of a lack of talent, it’s because of Darnold sucking?  this is what you keep doing, putting the entire blame totally on Sam. 
Simplistic and wrong

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Do you think the new rules protecting QBs both in the pocket, and when out of it (sliding) could change your opinion on that?

See, I'm not worried so much about a running QB if they know when and how to get down. It's when guys like Allen and Jackson, who are still so young and probably feel invincible either look for contact or meet it head on that I worry.

I guess it's twofold for me. First, I do think that no matter how many rules they make to protect QBs, they still get hurt, and if a QB has a lot of rushing attempts, he's increasing his odds of getting hurt. Second, I just don't think it's an efficient way to run an offense in these pass happy times. I think it's not a bad way for a young QB to establish himself in the league, but I think the running is something you want your QB to wean off of while developing his throwing game. 

Lamar Jackson has demonstrated himself to be a very good passer already. It's kinda amazing. He had better passing stats than Darnold, Allen, or Rosen as a rookie, and exploded in his second year. My next step, if I'm John Harbaugh, would be to focus on that passing ability and dial the running way back. Just a couple designed runs a week, if that. He'll be a threat to scramble for a long, long time, so that will always be there. He averaged 26 passing attempts and 11 rushes per game last year. I'd probably be looking to get that to 31 and 6, respectively. No reason for him not to be a 4000 yard passer instead of barely a 3000 yard passer. 

Josh Allen is a different animal. He's not a good passer yet (if he ever will be), but his coaches are already trying to mold him into a game manager type - which is probably smart. So they still let him run, but they want him to give himself up much more quickly. His rushes/game and total yards were both down from his rookie year. He became a more efficient, if timid, passer. A guy with his arm shouldn't be averaging 6.6 ypa. 

Bottom line, I want my QB to be a passer. Lamar Jackson is already there, Josh Allen may never get there. While I would, ironically, like to see Darnold tuck and run a little more when that's what the defense is giving him, I don't really love it as a cornerstone of my QB's game. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, slats said:

I guess it's twofold for me. First, I do think that no matter how many rules they make to protect QBs, they still get hurt, and if a QB has a lot of rushing attempts, he's increasing his odds of getting hurt. Second, I just don't think it's an efficient way to run an offense in these pass happy times. I think it's not a bad way for a young QB to establish himself in the league, but I think the running is something you want your QB to wean off of while developing his throwing game. 

Lamar Jackson has demonstrated himself to be a very good passer already. It's kinda amazing. He had better passing stats than Darnold, Allen, or Rosen as a rookie, and exploded in his second year. My next step, if I'm John Harbaugh, would be to focus on that passing ability and dial the running way back. Just a couple designed runs a week, if that. He'll be a threat to scramble for a long, long time, so that will always be there. He averaged 26 passing attempts and 11 rushes per game last year. I'd probably be looking to get that to 31 and 6, respectively. No reason for him not to be a 4000 yard passer instead of barely a 3000 yard passer. 

Josh Allen is a different animal. He's not a good passer yet (if he ever will be), but his coaches are already trying to mold him into a game manager type - which is probably smart. So they still let him run, but they want him to give himself up much more quickly. His rushes/game and total yards were both down from his rookie year. He became a more efficient, if timid, passer. A guy with his arm shouldn't be averaging 6.6 ypa. 

Bottom line, I want my QB to be a passer. Lamar Jackson is already there, Josh Allen may never get there. While I would, ironically, like to see Darnold tuck and run a little more when that's what the defense is giving him, I don't really love it as a cornerstone of my QB's game. 

excellent post. 

for LJ it's now about the balance as you mentioned...   thing with LJ is he gets a fistful of 10-15 yd runs where he diesnt even get touched and just goes OOB...   see hilites vs Jets....

and how does JetNation feel about 6.9 y/a?

On 5/31/2020 at 4:40 PM, 14 in Green said:

Come on, Allan looks like shlt and not the kind of shlt that will ever really change.