Sign in to follow this  
Sarge4Tide

My crazy guess at Top 5 Possible Surprise Jets Cuts

Not a bad list, but nobody particularly surprising.  I think Jenkins is the least likely of the bunch because this FO actually re-upped him though the money is kind of light.  Wesco probably wouldn't surprise anybody, but I think he did play more significant snaps as the season wore on.  Not sure if that was based on improving play, the injuries to Griffin and Herndon, or an audition.  FWIW, I thought he played similar snaps as Brown, but bringing Brown back probably does not help his cause.  In actuality it was Wesco 214/Brown 297 both over 16 games.  Wesco didn't exactly produce, but Brown wasn't much batter and Wesco is probably a more accomplished blocker. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't possibly see how we transition to 4-3 as long as CJ Mosley is on the roster (and he'll very likely be here the next 2 seasons based on the financials).  

I think Jenkins is far more likely to get an extension after the season than be cut.  Even if Zuniga and Huff work out as pass rushers, Jenkins is a solid OLB on the other side in the Calvin Pace mold.  As long as we're running 3-4 primarily he carries value. 

If I'm wrong I'll gladly take the potential comp pick.  And that's another good reason not to cut Jenkins or any decent players scheduled to be UFA's after the season; the comp pick battle.  That might be a big reason we didn't seek cap relief by cutting Williamson or Winters.  It could even contribute to fringe guys like Josh Doctson, Arthur Maulet, James Burgess, Jonotthan Harrison and Josh Andrews making the team; all of which will be UFA's after 2020. Anybody who can help us win the comp pick battle next offseason carries a slight uptick on their chances of making the team,

I also don't think they will cut Jenkins, but I think your analysis is way too high on the player.  Personally, I feel the same as you, but the money and lack of offers this offseason mean that other teams didn't think that highly of him and that he isn't going to rate jack for a comp pick.  Same goes with Doctson, Burgess and Maulet.  Doctson was on the street and the team didn't even bother to tender Burgess or Maulet and none got a nibble.  It may matter for Winters and Williamson, but you don't play the comp pick game with practice squad players.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Guys who make sense to cut based on financials and in order of cap savings (though the dead money aspect would be more important at this stage in the offseason), per overthecap.com:

• \

I don't think that it makes sense to cut anybody below Farley on that list for financial reasons. Anybody they cut will be replaced by a player making the same or more, so there won't be any savings.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company