JetNation

Did Joe Douglas do Enough to Help Sam Darnold?

Sam Darnold

On this week’s episode of JetNation Radio, we take a deep dive in looking at draft classes over the past several years. Is it time for the Jets to finally hit big with multiple star players in one haul?

There are more Jamal Adams trade rumors. Will the team give Jamal the extension he is looking for?

Sam Darnold leads the 2018 draft class in to their pivotal third season where we’re likley to find out who belongs and who doesn’t.  We’ll also take a look at the JetNation message boards to discuss the best topics of the week.

Our Podcast can now be found on Spotify. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Here is some more information on how you can find us online.

The post Did Joe Douglas do Enough to Help Sam Darnold? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
1SI-a8ReKc8

Click here to read the full story...

If Fant is legit good and our TEs play all year then yes.

• Upvote 2

I hope so. He could’ve done more. 

• Upvote 3

It's all going to come down to the offensive line.

Last year, the offensive line was the weakest unit on the team and among the worst units in the league.  The unit has undergone a complete revamp, but right now, all we can really say is that it is "different."  It is yet to be determined whether it is "better."

They need to consistently open up running lanes and keep Darnold's jersey clean.  If they can be a middle of the road unit this season, I think Darnold can get the job done with Bell, Gore, Perine in the backfield and Mims, Crowder, Herndon, Griffin, Perriman, and Doctson as receiving targets.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

My only gripe is WR dept.  If you werent planning on drafting 2 in an extremely deep class or bringing back Robby, then they should have brought in another reliable veteran WR via FA or trade.  Perriman and Doctson provide some major upside but have been monster disappointments so it's a bit nerve racking if Mims doesnt hit the ground running or the WR group gets the injury bug. 

Agreed. Im still hoping at the VERY least he can get DT to come back. At least then you would know theres at least 1 guy who plays on the outside who knows the system like the back of his hand and has played with Sam before. 

• Upvote 4

Should have drafted another WR no question in my mind.  Tons of good guys there when he was drafting a QB who is 3rd string and a long term hope he is a back up player.

Fant will be a hated player on these forums by half way through next year.  He is simply not good.

He added some talent, much more depth and drafted two olineman so he for sure is trying.

I'll say this, in one draft and fa he has done a lot ore than macdumbo ever did.

My biggest fear re the offense and DArnold is still the head coach and card board cut out OC.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Agreed. Im still hoping at the VERY least he can get DT to come back. At least then you would know theres at least 1 guy who plays on the outside who knows the system like the back of his hand and has played with Sam before. 

Yep.  Was saying that in another thread.  I'd bring him back for those reasons and he didnt really look all that shot.  Definitely not the breakaway speed he once had but it looked like he could still be a steady move the chains guy for another year.  He had 22 1st downs on 36 catches in only 10 games.  He can help Sam.  While I like the idea of seeing if guys like Perriman/Docston (and even Quincy Wilson) to see if they can revive their careers here but it's a gamble and having DT on the roster lightens the blow if it doesnt work out. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

My only gripe is WR dept.  If you werent planning on drafting 2 in an extremely deep class or bringing back Robby, then they should have brought in another reliable veteran WR via FA or trade.  Perriman and Doctson provide some major upside but have been monster disappointments so it's a bit nerve racking if Mims doesnt hit the ground running or the WR group gets the injury bug. 

Patience.  Rather than giving Anderson the multi-year deal he was seeking at the time, I'm fine with him holding off, and instead grabbing one of these guys next offseason, scheduled to be FA's after 2020.  I've posted this several times already but it's worth noting again:

• Chris Godwin
  • T.Y. Hilton
  • Keenan Allen
  • Juju Smith-Schuster
  • Allen Robinson
  • Kenny Golladay
  • Cooper Kupp
  • Upvote 1

No, but what more could he have done that wasn't going to mortgage the future? 

Douglas is in a bad situation so he has certainly made bad moves (and will make bad moves for as long as he's a GM because all GMs make bad moves..the good GMs give themselves the flexibility to get out of the bad ones), but there's two key areas that he is different (and better in my opinion) than the previous GMs...

1. His FA signings are shorter terms deals with less painful 'outs'. There's few contracts that really bite after year 3 if he wants out of them. 

2. He drafted/signed FAs to slightly improve the overall talent level of the team rather than drastically improve few areas where there 'holes' and leave other areas just as bereft of talent as before. I suspect that like 50% of his FA signing will not be viable options, but a lot of base hits seems better than a single home run.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Patience.  Rather than giving Anderson the multi-year deal he was seeking at the time, I'm fine with him holding off, and instead grabbing one of these guys next offseason, scheduled to be FA's after 2020.  I've posted this several times already but it's worth noting again:

• Chris Godwin
  • T.Y. Hilton
  • Keenan Allen
  • Juju Smith-Schuster
  • Allen Robinson
  • Kenny Golladay
  • Cooper Kupp

Well, fwiw, I wasnt knocking not bringing Robby back just adding it to the list of reasons maybe they didnt addres WR strong enough. I'm fine with it, just that him and Sam had some nice chemistry and I'm not sure they adequately replaced him.  Could be wrong, maybe Perriman/Docston/Smith surprise but just adding the loss of him to part of the equation of not drafting 2 WR's and signing or trading for a vet ie; my only question about if Douglas did enough to help Sam.

I would be very surprised to see any of them hit the open market (maybe Hilton/Robinson) but who knows?  There is also another very nice group of WR's coming out next year.  I might actually argue the top end prospects will be better than this years; Chase, Ross, Smith could all be ridiculous next level players.  A few other dudes to that are very intriguing to keep an eye on if they play: Trevon Grimes, Tamorrion Terry, Seth Williams, Jayle Waddle...just to name a few.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, fwiw, I wasnt knocking not bringing Robby back just adding it to the list of reasons maybe they didnt addres WR strong enough. I'm fine with it, just that him and Sam had some nice chemistry and I'm not sure they adequately replaced him.  Could be wrong, maybe Perriman/Docston/Smith surprise but just adding the loss of him to part of the equation of not drafting 2 WR's and signing or trading for a vet ie; my only question about if Douglas did enough to help Sam.

I would be very surprised to see any of them hit the open market (maybe Hilton/Robinson) but who knows?  There is also another very nice group of WR's coming out next year.  I might actually argue the top end prospects will be better than this years; Chase, Ross, Smith could all be ridiculous next level players.  A few other dudes to that a very intriguing to keep an eye; Trevon Grimes, Tamorrion Terry, Seth Williams, Jayle Waddle...just to name a few.

There just weren't a lot of FA WR options last offseason, and I didn't want JD giving up draft capital to acquire one.  Only guy I think we should have considered going after in addition to Perriman was Demarcus Robinson.  

None of the FA WR's I listed might end up available, and even the ones that do end up coming loose might have zero interest in coming here without a massive overpay.  But the list of guys is impressive, even beyond those WR1 types.  Plenty of WR2's will shake loose in free agency too, like these (also all scheduled to be FA's):

• Marvin Jones
  • Sammy Watkins
  • Larry Fitzgerald
  • A.J. Green
  • Will Fuller
  • Corey Davis
  • John Ross
  • Demarcus Robinson
  • Curtis Samuel
  • Dede Westbrook
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • Zay Jones
  • Chris Conley
  • Marqise Lee
  • Keelan Cole
  • Tajae Sharpe
  • Upvote 1

He never was going to be able to in one offseason with that albatross Bell and holes at all spots on the offense. Also, the most damaging element that will hinder Darnold is the coach and system. That won’t be fixed this year either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Sam Darnold

On this week’s episode of JetNation Radio, we take a deep dive in looking at draft classes over the past several years. Is it time for the Jets to finally hit big with multiple star players in one haul?

There are more Jamal Adams trade rumors. Will the team give Jamal the extension he is looking for?

Sam Darnold leads the 2018 draft class in to their pivotal third season where we’re likley to find out who belongs and who doesn’t.  We’ll also take a look at the JetNation message boards to discuss the best topics of the week.

Our Podcast can now be found on Spotify. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Here is some more information on how you can find us online.

The post Did Joe Douglas do Enough to Help Sam Darnold? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

1SI-a8ReKc8

Click here to read the full story...

No, Need another Receiver especially a true number one. But never figured it would get done in one year. I guess. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

No, Need another Receiver especially a true number one. But never figured it would get done in one year. I guess. 

Mims is our true #1.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Warfish said:

Mims is our true #1.

Nope. Raw rookie. Gonna take a bit. 

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Absolutely. If this offense needs anything, it's one more receiver.

I think that in a perfect world, he would've resigned Robby AND still drafted Mims in the 2nd... but overall he's done a stellar job

With the draft as deep as it was in WR, some bloated teams will likely eject some expensive WRs - there could yet be some really decent FA WRs that will play for a 1/2 year deal. Plenty of time left to add a WR or 2. Keeping RA would have been best, but he should have been locked up a year earlier when the team had some leverage... 

• Upvote 1

No.

But he did as much as he could reasonably do, without sacrificing the future of the whole roster.

- Didn’t trade multiple draft picks and overpay a WR.

- Didn’t overpay and get us locked into a long term deal with Robbie. I liked him, but he was never going to be worth what it would have cost to get him.

Having said that, I still think Joe Douglas had a really good off season. 

• Upvote 4

Yes if Mims can contribute this year. He did a ton to get better on the O-line and if Herndon comes back we'll be fine with our new line. Bell will be better, Perriman is better than Robby - he is more talented. If Robby was on Tampa he wouldn't have had many targets either. He never had the ability to hold onto the ball in a big spot. Also, the young guys are fast and could excel when Sam has time to scan the field. We have more speed and better protection and Herndon is healthy and Bell can be very effective in the passing game too. That should be enough to get us to compete for the division.

• Thumb Down 1

More is coming, the writing is on the wall  We will trade Adams and get assets. We need a WR and a left tackle. CB and edge on D. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Rebuilt the OL, drafted Mims, signed Perriman

only thing left I want is another veteran WR.  Maybe Demariyus Thomas signs with us before the season

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

With the draft as deep as it was in WR, some bloated teams will likely eject some expensive WRs - there could yet be some really decent FA WRs that will play for a 1/2 year deal. Plenty of time left to add a WR or 2. Keeping RA would have been best, but he should have been locked up a year earlier when the team had some leverage... 

Not as many quality receivers as you would think.  I looked into that after the draft and created the thread below, with a list of guys who might get traded/cut based on which teams used high picks on receivers AND can safely cut/trade the WRs from a financial perspective. 

Several of them (like Woods and Gallup) are pipe dreams, mind you, but I wanted to be comprehensive:

The full list, for convenience:

• Robert Woods
  • Michael Gallup
  • Mike Williams
  • Will Fuller
  • Kenny Stills
  • Chris Conley
  • Alshon Jeffery
  • Zay Jones
  • Keelan Cole
  • DeSean Jackson
  • Willie Snead
  • DaeSean Hamilton
  • Nelson Agholor 
  • Diontae Spencer
  • Devin Smith
  • JJ Arcega-Whiteside
  • Deontay Burnett
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Tim Patrick
  • Upvote 1

like most of us ... wanted one more WR picked in rounds 3-5

I expect one of those veteran WR cuts to be brought in for TC/Preseason

---

I'm fearful on Fant but very happy with all the moves combined, that he made to address our biggest need ... the OL 

---

He has taken a very strong 1st step to help both Sam & the team as a whole.

yes ... that is enough ... for now

• Upvote 3

Enough implies success. Success is relative to expectations. As constructed is the job complete NO but for me an excellent first step.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Should have drafted another WR no question in my mind.  Tons of good guys there when he was drafting a QB who is 3rd string and a long term hope he is a back up player.

Fant will be a hated player on these forums by half way through next year.  He is simply not good.

He added some talent, much more depth and drafted two olineman so he for sure is trying.

I'll say this, in one draft and fa he has done a lot ore than macdumbo ever did.

My biggest fear re the offense and DArnold is still the head coach and card board cut out OC.

But the miss on taking another wr in the draft can easily be made up next year by signing a guy like JuJu who would be in his prime. JuJu or Robbie? See that was easy.  JuJu and Mins would  make a really nice 1-2 combo.