Did Joe Douglas do Enough to Help Sam Darnold?

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Why don't we talk again when you decide what your opinion on the matter actually is, okay? 

Sorry, I’ll try and simplify it for you.

I think the overall offense is better, thanks to Mims and Perine - major upgrades at both positions. 

I thought in Free Agency we were flat to slightly downgraded in offensive talent.

I also loved the Zuniga and Davis picks - so the defense was upgraded too, certainly arguable the defense has been upgraded more than the offense this off season.

Other than Becton I really liked the draft (offense and defense)

• Thumb Down 1

22 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

JD did a very good job with the hand he was dealt with.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Neither will the Jets become a juggernaut after one seasoning.  Yet he still provided the Jets with pieces for just about every facet of team needs. 

Including a punter (Mann) and long term backup QB in Morgan.  Strengthening the OL significantly with Becton-Fant-McGovern and Roten, as likely new starters. In addition to Cameron Clark for development as a solid backup and future starter. Providing a dynamic wideout in Mims.  An ideal quick hitting RB like Perine for a zone blocking scheme.  Also adding the veteran Gore...who previously had success in Gase's offense.  

Besides adding Desir...JD drafted positional versatility...with picks like Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Hall...for both the secondary and utilization in blitz packages.  And a potential future 10+ edge performer in Zuniga...who will definitely help this year.

UDFAs like Lawrence Cager, Bryce Huff and Lamar Jackson...have a chance to make the team and contribute.

And who sez he's done?  After June 1st...JD will have some more CAP flexibility to add another piece or two.  Like Ryan Logan to complete the secondary.  And Jason Peters to finalize the OL.  Also possibly add another veteran WR...perhaps resigning Demaryius Thomas...who's familiar with Darnold and Gase's playbook.

Instant...and total gratification...no.  But I'm very pleased with the job JD has done...in just one offseason.  IMO...Jets have the QB...and JD's given the Jets good team balance and enough pieces...to compete...and win...the AFCE.

For the first time in a while...I feel Jets are in the hands of a competent professional GM NYJ...who has a legit vision for this team. 

Jets are heading in the right direction under JD's command.  And feel confident...that in succeeding years...he will continue to build the Jets into a perennial playoff contender.  

Under JD's helm...Jets will no longer be a clown show...or laughing stock.  Watch out NFL...here come da Jets!  

This!  Please close this thread now since this says it all.  :) 

• Post of the Week 1

did douglas do enough?  i guess you can say he didn't but that's just a silly argument especially without seeing how the oline plays together or considering the constraints.  a lot of resources were devoted to this group and that should mean good things.  the interior players seem to be pretty solid.  becton and fant are both question marks  but can they be worse than beachum and edoga/shell?

On 5/30/2020 at 12:06 AM, Wonderboy said:

For JD to invest 10 M on Fant is  quite telling. JD obviously feels good about Fant’s ability. And if he doesn’t deliver he can cut him next year so it’s a decent gamble. And JD is a Riverboat gambler.

agreed and i like both of those characteristics about JD

my concern with Fant was the limited body of work at OT, and moderate results so far.  Also with it being JD's first signing to address OL after missing out on Joe Thuney at OG to NE, & Jack Conklin at OT to the Browns ... and the timing of it being immediately after the Conklin signing ... plus the amount of the deal being higher than expected ... felt a little different, imo.

I like the 1 year out ... but that will only come into play if my fear about him is warranted

---

very hopeful that JD knows his OL though

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sorry, I’ll try and simplify it for you.

I think the overall offense is better, thanks to Mims and Perine - major upgrades at both positions. 

I thought in Free Agency we were flat to slightly downgraded in offensive talent.

I also loved the Zuniga and Davis picks - so the defense was upgraded too, certainly arguable the defense has been upgraded more than the offense this off season.

Other than Becton I really liked the draft (offense and defense)

Obviously judging by your posts you’re  a big fan of big money signings.  That’s fine I guess but speaking from our own experience many times that doesn’t work out.  Douglas made a lot of solid signings without hampering us for years to come.  I wish you would see that lol.  Look I’m not saying you should bow down to the man but you act like his FA signIngs were awful 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1