Your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

After the Discipline album came out, King Crimson (w/ Belew, Bruford and Levin at the time) did a few shows called "King Crimson on Broadway". It was done in one of the theaters that usually hold plays and quite costly at the time (or at least more than the $1.50 we paid for the '73 Shafer Music Festival show in Wollman Rink).

First show was sold out and going quite well. Fripp even stepped into the light from time to time. Midway, there was a short lull while the band retuned and talked over what they would do next. The crowd started yelling out band member names and various KC songs. When that ran out, there was a short silence, Someone yells out "Whipping Post!". That produced laughter form the crowd and the band. Belew steps up to the mic and said, "Well at least you didn't say Freebird" and they launch into Elephant Talk

Love the story and Belew's response.  I saw Buddy Rich and his band at my college in the 70s.  Just a phenomenal show.  During a moment of quiet after the applause had wound down after a song, some idiot in the audience screams out "Stairway to Heaven".  Buddy just looked puzzled and asked another band member what the guy said.  Then shook his head, cursed the person under his breath, and launched the next number. 

• Upvote 2

It's funny, but what you consider classic rock might have more to do with the answers than favorite songs.  I always think of AOR from the 70's.   Like what you'd hear on NEW, PLJ or WAPP (I always remember their commercial free summer).  They didn't play much Sabbath back then, so I lumped Sabbath in with Metal, but included Zeppelin.  I include most southern rock because they certainly played enough Skynyrd and Flirtin' With Disaster.  I don't think of most of the earlier stuff like Chuck Berry or Bo Diddley because that was played on the CBS oldies station even though we liked it just as much.  Even the Beatles because, to me, most of their catalog leaned more towards pop, though Helter Skelter would certainly fit. 

I tend to think of rock anthems which is why i would go towards the Who and Zeppelin.  Even some other stuff, that might not otherwise fit - Fool for the City or Slow Ride by Foghat, On and On by MSG, Hair of the Dog by Nazareth, Since You've Been Gone by Rainbow all get my consideration, while other more CLASSIC more ROCK bands and songs might not and it probably mostly has to do with what I heard on the radio.  Hell, I thought about that Rainbow song but mostly dismissed Deep Purple.

• Upvote 3

So what's everyone's thoughts on Greta Van Fleet? They seemed to float the Classic Rock crowd's boat hard. I tried to like them but I just can't. Rock and Roll is raw and they seem contrived and just trying too hard.

Just now, Drums said:

So what's everyone's thoughts on Greta Van Fleet? They seemed to float the Classic Rock crowd's boat hard. I tried to like them but I just can't. Rock and Roll is raw and they seem contrived and just trying too hard.

They're OK - I have them in my pandora feed because it's kind of like getting some new Zeppelin songs. I always feel a little disappointed though, like they left something out. Still better than a lot of other new crap. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Drums said:

I've seen them live, twice, and am excited about them.  Have to remember they're really young and have put out just 2 albums thus far.  I think the oldest member of the group is 24.  Interested to see how they grow and evolve.

Give this one a listen.  It's a little more unique than the ones they've played on the radio:

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They're OK - I have them in my pandora feed because it's kind of like getting some new Zeppelin songs. I always feel a little disappointed though, like they left something out. Still better than a lot of other new crap. 

Yeah not raw enough for me I guess. They seem talented but too “classic rock” for me. It aint the 70s anymore. This is why I lean more towards bands like Royal Blood, the White Stripes (say what you want about Meg, they wrote some damn good songs) and a bunch of other bands. 

24 minutes ago, Drums said:

As others have said, they're not that compelling.  I can hear why many say they sound like LZ, especially the vocals.  But the songs are just not that good.  Overall, I was disappointed in their overall quality.  

However, I will give them props for at least being out there playing hard edged rock.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've seen them live, twice, and am excited about them.  Have to remember they're really young and have put out just 2 albums thus far.  I think the oldest member of the group is 24.  Interested to see how they grow and evolve.

Yeah but in a way, I think the younger the better when it comes to rock and roll. Plant was 19 when Zeppelin released their first album I think.  Jimmy was old though haha probably like 24 in 69. 

I am happy they please people and I wish I was one of those people. Unfortunately I am tom shane and they are jamal. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

As others have said, they're not that compelling.  I can hear why many say they sound like LZ, especially the vocals.  But the songs are just not that good.  Overall, I was disappointed in their overall quality.  

However, I will give them props for at least being out there playing hard edged rock.

Same here. They are living the dream. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Drums said:

I like them, but don't love them.  Seem like a decent Led Zep cover band.  Strange thing was that early on, I had read about them loving Zeppelin and the influence, but a later interview the guy seemed to say they never listened to Zeppelin, and felt Aerosmith is a huge influence.  Annoyed me since they basically seem to be copying Led Zep.  OTOH, it doesn't bother me that much when you consider how much Zep ripped off others. 

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah not raw enough for me I guess. They seem talented but too “classic rock” for me. It aint the 70s anymore. This is why I lean more towards bands like Royal Blood, the White Stripes (say what you want about Meg, they wrote some damn good songs) and a bunch of other bands. 

Some of my favorites.  Lately I have been listening to Rival Sons a bunch.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I like them, but don't love them.  Seem like a decent Led Zep cover band.  Strange thing was that early on, I had read about them loving Zeppelin and the influence, but a later interview the guy seemed to say they never listened to Zeppelin, and felt Aerosmith is a huge influence.  Annoyed me since they basically seem to be copying Led Zep.  OTOH, it doesn't bother me that much when you consider how much Zep ripped off others. 

Yep, it was clearly them trying to distance themselves from Zeppelin in that interview.  Of course Zep is a huge influence.  Right down to the clothes they wear on stage, which seem like something Plant and Page would have worn.  

Their 2nd album sounded a lot less like a Zeppelin tribute, for whatever its worth.  We'll see what their upcoming 3rd album sounds like.  

1 hour ago, Arsis said:

Are they not classic rock?

They are not rock at all.  They are pure metal.  No rock station would ever play Slayer.  

Don't get me wrong, they kick ass.  They're one of the greatest metal groups ever.  But they're not rock.  

The lines blur a bit sometimes with rock vs metal.  Metallica, for instance, started as metal and ended up as hard rock.  Sabbath, who I consider the fathers of metal, can still be thought of as a rock group because the metal genre didn't exist yet.  But not the case with Slayer.  

I was gonna ask what the f is 5:15 but now i know.

ok i really  don’t   like this thread because “best” is subjective and i dont believe anything in life is static but I will play along. Classic rock only. This is hard:

1. Rush - Spirit of the radio

2. Led zep - going to California 

3. Stones- Can u hear me knockin

those 3 if they come on the radio i wont switch and ill be singing but there are plenty more

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2020 at 1:04 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Did you like the The?   All the guys I knew like that loved them.

Was not familiar with the THE despite their great name. So I had Alexa play a while bunch of their songs. Seemed like watered down new wave to me, not that I have that much expertise on the style. I could see how someone may like them though but just not my cup of tea. Thanks for exposing something new however. That's always good

• Upvote 2

So checking out the THE confused Mrs. Crimson at first who questioned why I was listening to them and would I please stop, so I showed her this thread and my original reply. Her response was to insist on posting her three:

- Genesis: Musical Box, Supper's Ready, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight (pick one)

- Jean-Luc Ponty: New Country

- John Cafferty & TBBB: Garden of Eden

I told her none of that is classic rock and I didn't get to pick Birds of Fire, After the Cosmic Rains or Lark's Tongues in Aspic and you can't do the pick one of three thing but her response was "You want dinner?"

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I was gonna ask what the f is 5:15 but now i know.

ok i really  don’t   like this thread because “best” is subjective and i dont believe anything in life is static but I will play along. Classic rock only. This is hard:

1. Rush - Spirit of the radio

2. Led zep - going to California 

3. Stones- Can u hear me knockin

those 3 if they come on the radio i wont switch and ill be singing but there are plenty more

See i HATE this....now i got 3 others 

1. Heaven and hell - black sabbath

2. Dogs - pink floyd

3. Cosmic debris - zappa

• Upvote 3

On 5/31/2020 at 11:41 AM, munchmemory said:

One interesting observation from reading this thread:  As a life-long Who fan, I'm happily surprised at the number of references to "5:15".  Never would I have though that could be a favorite Who song let alone in all of the rock catalog.  We covered the tune in a couple bands I was in at the time and always enjoyed playing it, whether we had a horn section or not.  

I could flip a coin and list either Who's Next or Quadrophenia as my favorite album of all time.  Both are such incredibly powerful works from start to finish.  I could have easily added "The Real me" or "Dr. Jimmy" to my original list.

I was driving by a store in Westport today that had a London theme and they had a mod scooter outside painted with the Union Jack and the song on my playlist that was playing at the moment was.... of course...the real me lol

i cranked the volume to 11 in hopes someone would get the reference but alas I was alone in my glee lol

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

See i HATE this....now i got 3 others 

1. Heaven and hell - black sabbath

2. Dogs - pink floyd

3. Cosmic debris - zappa

Now is that a Sears poncho or is it a real poncho?

and Dogs? Always wanted to blast that over the PA system in the office, especially as I walked out for good. Perfect.

On 6/1/2020 at 4:25 PM, peebag said:

Jumpin Jack Flash - Stones

Get Back - Beatles

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob is God

3 great choices. Seems like you're one of the few people I'd ever let "pick the music," and believe me, that's a big compliment from me.

Damn... How did I forget Like A Rolling Stone? It's only my favorite song by my favorite artist. I hate lists...

• Sympathy 1

So I keep going through this thread, I love it. 

The one thing that stands out to me is how many of you love Heavy Metal. 

I love all kinds of music, you're just as likely to hear me listen to Sinatra, Country, almost anything Motown, Dylan or Eminem. To me, if I like it, it's good, I could care less about what others think. Hell, I've caught myself singing a Taylor Swift song just minutes after something by The Doors.

For the life of me though, I can't get into Heavy Metal. Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer. Anything. Can't tell you how many times I said "try again. see if this time will be different" but no, it never is.

I don't know why, its the only genre I can say that about.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:20 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

That's right.  You can only pick 3.  Here are my choices, after much thought:

I can't really pick 3 favorites but I personally think the coda of "The Ocean" ---3:17 on in your video is the best piece of rock music ever written.

My Top 3 as of 8:19 on Thursday  if I have to answer

Song Remains the Same Zeppelin (could pick 30 Zeppelin songs)

Wont Get Fooled Again Who

Jungle Hand Springsteen

• Sympathy 1

So I keep going through this thread, I love it. 
The one thing that stands out to me is how many of you love Heavy Metal. 
I love all kinds of music, you're just as likely to hear me listen to Sinatra, Country, almost anything Motown, Dylan or Eminem. To me, if I like it, it's good, I could care less about what others think. Hell, I've caught myself singing a Taylor Swift song just minutes after something by The Doors.
For the life of me though, I can't get into Heavy Metal. Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer. Anything. Can't tell you how many times I said "try again. see if this time will be different" but no, it never is.
I don't know why, its the only genre I can say that about.

It’s not for everyone and that’s ok.

I’ve seen Megadeth and Metallica live and they kicked a$$. Megadeth opened their show with Hangar 18 and I lost my mind. It didn’t hurt that concert goers near us kept feeding us shots, lol.
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Larz said:

I was driving by a store in Westport today that had a London theme and they had a mod scooter outside painted with the Union Jack and the song on my playlist that was playing at the moment was.... of course...the real me lol

i cranked the volume to 11 in hopes someone would get the reference but alas I was alone in my glee lol

No matter that the heathens did not appreciate it.  At that very moment, the gods were shining on you.  

As a bass player at the time, "The Real Me" was one of the holy grails of songs to play.  We all got it mostly right.  But Entwistle's fills, nuances and feel were virtually impossible to attain.  

• Upvote 3

A cop out, I know, but too tough for me to pick among the many Led Zep and Bon-Scott era AC/DC tunes (among those of many other bands) worthy of being on the list.  

I will say, however, that this song definitely would make the list.  Sublime live performance featuring the eponymous band leader, the great Zal Cleminson, and several future Michael Schenker Group alums.  

• Sympathy 1

On 6/1/2020 at 1:10 PM, Drums said:

They're extremely derivative to the point of IP infringement, lol. 

I generally am ok with that, with band really REALLY infuenced by other, older, better bands.....if it's a band I love and they do it well. 

I don't love Zeppelin, so for me, personally, it's ok.  My wife likes them, kinda.  She at least owns some of their stuff and plays it from time to time.  They do it pretty well.

They remind me tho of bands like Silverchair, Creed, Bush, etc. i.e. the guys who all rather obviously ripped off the better bands that came before them because they knew it was profitable.  

With that said, I WISH someone would rip off Pink Floyd's sound and style the way Fleet did Zeppelin.  If you love Floyd, there really is nothing whatsoever "like" it out there.  Radiohead is about as close as I've found, but they really are only close conceptually, not sonicly.  Even Floyd's contemporaries, the guys they always get lumped in with, sound almost nothing like Floyd did.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s not for everyone and that’s ok.

I’ve seen Megadeth and Metallica live and they kicked a$$. Megadeth opened their show with Hangar 18 and I lost my mind. It didn’t hurt that concert goers near us kept feeding us shots, lol.

I've seen Metallica about 10 times or so now, if I recall.  They're not great these days tbqh. 

In the late 80's and early 90's tho......wow.  That was special.  My first ever real concert was 10th row at Metallica.  Set me on a life path!