Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

Your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time

I hate the term classic rock but i do love me some rock and roll. Going to have to think about this but and weigh in tomorrow but i predict:

cream - first power trio, come on  

ccr  - one of USA’s greatest bands

ac/dc - if we are talking one classic rock song, it is hard to beat them when all of their songs kind of sound the same

possibly grand funk, who knows. 

Now this is going to offend some people. I love Zeppelin more than a lot of bands but I find it hard to choose a song so I’m leaving them off. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Black Dog

5:15

You Really Got Me

How could I forget the Kinks? WTF

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Chuck was  a very flawed human being.  But his influence on how r&r is played, especially the solo, is unarguable.  You can hear his riffs--especially one classic phrase in particular--in every lead guitarist's arsenal (past and present) across all of rock's genres. 

Here, take Eric Clapton's explanation from Taylor Hackford's must see film, Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll:

I had a difficult time keeping "Ramble On" off my list above.  Page and company created so many memorable rock songs.  He was especially brilliant when re-working classic blues numbers and giving them a modern, harder edged, spin.  

Just listen to how Page reinterpreted Kansas Joe McCoy's more up tempo original.  Adding the slide and Bonzo's drums up front was both brilliant and magical.

I think Chuck and Little Richard are two of the fathers of rock and roll (Sorry Elvis, I love you but you are not the King of Rock and Roll), and they played rock and roll, but I don't consider them Classic Rock which is why I don't like that label anymore and prefer the simple ROCK AND ROLL a hell of a lot more, and I don't do the 'n' crap or the hand signal haha.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They're my favorite band of all time and I completely understand what you're saying here.  

Yeah definitely one of my favorites too. That was in no way a diss to them but more an honor haha. As a drummer, Bonham is one of my heroes and was a huge influence-- I have a 24" in bass drum (he had 26 but I went with the 24 like Mitch Mitchell) and I have Giant Beat cymbals, which he played before he switched to 2002s. My kit is from Buddy Rich but guess who was one of Bonham's heroes? I like to go after my influences influences if that makes any sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Okay now for a more official list:

Cream: Swlabr - I recommend checking out the demo version because Jack Bruce really tears it up on bass (much more pronounced)

CCR: Run Through the Jungle

T. Rex: 20th Century Boy -- you know you feel something as soon as that f'n guitar tone hits

Screw you 80! This was really hard. I left off Queen, The Animals, and a ton of other bands.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I have never liked the term "classic rock".  Have always just used "rock".  And I will gently disagree with you on Chuck as not being "classic rock".  You could not get more classic in the genre that Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly, Little Richard and a few others from the original golden age of rock and roll.

They are the fathers of Rock. Bo Diddley is probably my favorite out of them and I love them all dearly but yeah I would never call them classic rock. Rock and roll, yes. R & B, yes. And don't forget about my boy Fats Domino. Classic rock to me was a bit later which is one of the main reasons I don't like the name. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He came pretty close with "More Than A Feeling" though. :roll:

I didn’t want to say anything

No Idea Reaction GIF by Bounce

• Haha 2

So what's everyone's thoughts on Greta Van Fleet? They seemed to float the Classic Rock crowd's boat hard. I tried to like them but I just can't. Rock and Roll is raw and they seem contrived and just trying too hard.

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They're OK - I have them in my pandora feed because it's kind of like getting some new Zeppelin songs. I always feel a little disappointed though, like they left something out. Still better than a lot of other new crap. 

Yeah not raw enough for me I guess. They seem talented but too “classic rock” for me. It aint the 70s anymore. This is why I lean more towards bands like Royal Blood, the White Stripes (say what you want about Meg, they wrote some damn good songs) and a bunch of other bands. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've seen them live, twice, and am excited about them.  Have to remember they're really young and have put out just 2 albums thus far.  I think the oldest member of the group is 24.  Interested to see how they grow and evolve.

Yeah but in a way, I think the younger the better when it comes to rock and roll. Plant was 19 when Zeppelin released their first album I think.  Jimmy was old though haha probably like 24 in 69. 

I am happy they please people and I wish I was one of those people. Unfortunately I am tom shane and they are jamal. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

As others have said, they're not that compelling.  I can hear why many say they sound like LZ, especially the vocals.  But the songs are just not that good.  Overall, I was disappointed in their overall quality.  

However, I will give them props for at least being out there playing hard edged rock.

Same here. They are living the dream. 

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company