Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

Your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time

Posted (edited)

I usually gravitate towards Physical Graffiti because we used to just listen to it over and over again in the dorm, but I always lean to "I don't know, but I've been told that big legged woman ain't got no soul."  Luckily my wife selected Thank You as our wedding song and not Black Dog.

I almost went away from 5:15 because so many people selected it, but when I thought of the topic, I though Who Are You?  Then I thought, that's not even my favorite Who song.  When I thought of my favorite Who song, I thought "outta my brain on the train" and the movie with the little Townsend kid tripping.

I like the Kinks better than most and it gets bonus points for being remixed by the band.  FWIW, I much more of a Low Budget man.  Probably should have picked that, but the album is still on my turntable.  I rarely use it, but have probably had Low Budget or Outlandos D'Amour on it for the past 20 years.

Edited by #27TheDominator
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

So, era and criteria?

I never get this category right. Always thought of it as 70's dorm room vinyl FM "singles" which disqualifies that one know-it-all-guy who has a huge collection of stuff that no one has heard of by bands that got no airplay other than WNEW-FM at night.

So no Mahavishnu, RTF, 11th House, Weather Report, KC, Yes, Genesis, ELP, Procol Harum/Trower, Beck, TOP or other prog or jazz, OK? How's:

1. Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo - Johnny's version

2. Run, Run, Run - Jo Jo Gunne

3. Kitty's Back - Springsteen (OK, OK, yes that's David Sancious doing the organ solo). Alternative would be NYC Serenade (and yeah, Sancious does that piano opening too)

Did you like the The?   All the guys I knew like that loved them.

It's funny, but what you consider classic rock might have more to do with the answers than favorite songs.  I always think of AOR from the 70's.   Like what you'd hear on NEW, PLJ or WAPP (I always remember their commercial free summer).  They didn't play much Sabbath back then, so I lumped Sabbath in with Metal, but included Zeppelin.  I include most southern rock because they certainly played enough Skynyrd and Flirtin' With Disaster.  I don't think of most of the earlier stuff like Chuck Berry or Bo Diddley because that was played on the CBS oldies station even though we liked it just as much.  Even the Beatles because, to me, most of their catalog leaned more towards pop, though Helter Skelter would certainly fit. 

I tend to think of rock anthems which is why i would go towards the Who and Zeppelin.  Even some other stuff, that might not otherwise fit - Fool for the City or Slow Ride by Foghat, On and On by MSG, Hair of the Dog by Nazareth, Since You've Been Gone by Rainbow all get my consideration, while other more CLASSIC more ROCK bands and songs might not and it probably mostly has to do with what I heard on the radio.  Hell, I thought about that Rainbow song but mostly dismissed Deep Purple.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Drums said:

So what's everyone's thoughts on Greta Van Fleet? They seemed to float the Classic Rock crowd's boat hard. I tried to like them but I just can't. Rock and Roll is raw and they seem contrived and just trying too hard.

I like them, but don't love them.  Seem like a decent Led Zep cover band.  Strange thing was that early on, I had read about them loving Zeppelin and the influence, but a later interview the guy seemed to say they never listened to Zeppelin, and felt Aerosmith is a huge influence.  Annoyed me since they basically seem to be copying Led Zep.  OTOH, it doesn't bother me that much when you consider how much Zep ripped off others. 

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah not raw enough for me I guess. They seem talented but too “classic rock” for me. It aint the 70s anymore. This is why I lean more towards bands like Royal Blood, the White Stripes (say what you want about Meg, they wrote some damn good songs) and a bunch of other bands. 

Some of my favorites.  Lately I have been listening to Rival Sons a bunch.

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company