Your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time

Great thread. I know I'm probably going to want to come back and edit this later, but the 3 that come to mind, in no particular order are

Layla by Clapton

Piece of My Heart Janis at her absolute best. Every time I hear this one I'm blown away by her vocal, and saddened she was gone so soon. What a talent she was....

White Room by Cream. If they'd only stayed together...

Turn the Page by Seger and Bell Bottom Blues by Clapton would be in my top 5 if we were going that far down the list. 

Favorite album ever is the Stones Exile on Main Street just edging out Derek and the Dominoes

Favorite musicians:

Even though not "classic rock" Bob Dylan is my #1. No one influenced me with their music the way he did when I was young. His body of work is as good as anyone out there, with the exceptions of Lennon and McCarthy and Brian Wilson.

I'd probably put Clapton second both for his obvious guitar skill and the way he's evolved over the years.

Favorite guilty pleasure? The Beach Boys. Far from classic rock, but Brian Wilson was a genius. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

So, era and criteria?

I never get this category right. Always thought of it as 70's dorm room vinyl FM "singles" which disqualifies that one know-it-all-guy who has a huge collection of stuff that no one has heard of by bands that got no airplay other than WNEW-FM at night.

So no Mahavishnu, RTF, 11th House, Weather Report, KC, Yes, Genesis, ELP, Procol Harum/Trower, Beck, TOP or other prog or jazz, OK? How's:

1. Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo - Johnny's version

2. Run, Run, Run - Jo Jo Gunne

3. Kitty's Back - Springsteen (OK, OK, yes that's David Sancious doing the organ solo). Alternative would be NYC Serenade (and yeah, Sancious does that piano opening too)

Remember when we all had fantasies about the Nightbird, Alison Steele?

• Post of the Week 1

Always a tough classification because I think classic rock might cover other genres, so to speak ie; Prod rock, Southern Rock, Hard Rock.  So not sure who classifies but considering these are probably the 3 greatest rock songs of all time, it's these 3 for me:

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I mean, seriously, just listen to N.I.B., its the most badass song ever written.  

Tony Ionni just straight underrated and underappreciated and its like he's saying **** all of you as he rips your face off in that song. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'm starting to hate you for starting this thread 80. ?

Even though I went on forever with my original list (surprisingly heavy with Clapton) I never got to mention work by Neil Young, Lynnrd Skynnrd, John Fogarty, Procul Harem, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix, Grace Slick, all of whom just popped in my head the last half hour.

This will be going on all day with me now, thanks to you!!! So hard to pick just three performers, much less three songs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I mean, seriously, just listen to N.I.B., its the most badass song ever written.  

Tony Ionni just straight underrated and underappreciated and its like he's saying **** all of you as he rips your face off in that song. 

That and Paranoid are two of my favorites by Sabbath. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm starting to hate you for starting this thread 80. ?

Even though I went on forever with my original list (surprisingly heavy with Clapton) I never got to mention work by Neil Young, Lynnrd Skynnrd, John Fogarty, Procul Harem, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix, Grace Slick, all of whom just popped in my head the last half hour.

This will be going on all day with me now, thanks to you!!! So hard to pick just three performers, much less three songs.

On the plus side this might be the first music thread 80 started that didn’t make everyone want to vomit. So that’s nice. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That and Paranoid are two of my favorites by Sabbath. 

Paranoid is one my pre surf amp session playlist.  Love that tune.  Talk about getting fired up! 

But Ionni on N.I.B. is just in another world, especially for back then...

• Upvote 1

Sabbath was incredible. Since they were pretty much the fathers of Metal, I don’t usually think of them in the classic rock/rock n roll sense.

I go nuts whenever War Pigs comes on the radio.

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yeah... you weren’t born so your going on here say.?  BUT, it just might be BUT in that same era, Meatloaf Bat out of Hell was Incredible as well.  

Paradise by Dashboard  Light  was the jam when I was in 6th grade. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, chirorob said:

I play that in my office once in a while.

Nobody even knows who the frick Phil Rizzuto is.   The horror!

LOL

That's okay, if you're like me, when they talk about their favorite musicians or actors, you have no idea who they're talking about either... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Paradise by Dashboard  Light  was the jam when I was in 6th grade. 

32 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I play that in my office once in a while.

Nobody even knows who the frick Phil Rizzuto is.   The horror!

I’ve sang it Karaoke with my GF drunk one night. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Born to Run - Springsteen

Where the Street Have No Name - U2

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

My ex wife loved Springsteen, so I refuse to credit him here, but your 2 and 3 are great.

Freebird is one of those "have a fond memory about" songs for me, and Where the Streets Have No Name is one that I forget about until it comes on. Then I stop what I'm doing and listen. (but damn, is U2 music now considered Classic Rock?)

EDIT Yeah I guess it is. When did Bono get so old?

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

My ex wife loved Springsteen, so I refuse to credit him here, but your 2 and 3 are great.

Freebird is one of those "have a fond memory about" songs for me, and Where the Streets Have No Name is one that I forget about until it comes on. Then I stop what I'm doing and listen. (but damn, is U2 music now considered Classic Rock?)

EDIT Yeah I guess it is. When did Bono get so old?

After the Discipline album came out, King Crimson (w/ Belew, Bruford and Levin at the time) did a few shows called "King Crimson on Broadway". It was done in one of the theaters that usually hold plays and quite costly at the time (or at least more than the $1.50 we paid for the '73 Shafer Music Festival show in Wollman Rink).

First show was sold out and going quite well. Fripp even stepped into the light from time to time. Midway, there was a short lull while the band retuned and talked over what they would do next. The crowd started yelling out band member names and various KC songs. When that ran out, there was a short silence, Someone yells out "Whipping Post!". That produced laughter form the crowd and the band. Belew steps up to the mic and said, "Well at least you didn't say Freebird" and they launch into Elephant Talk

• Haha 4

Just now, The Crimson King said:

After the Discipline album came out, King Crimson (w/ Belew, Bruford and Levin at the time) did a few shows called "King Crimson on Broadway". It was done in one of the theaters that usually hold plays and quite costly at the time (or at least more than the $1.50 we paid for the '73 Shafer Music Festival show in Wollman Rink).

First show was sold out and going quite well. Fripp even stepped into the light from time to time. Midway, there was a short lull while the band retuned and talked over what they would do next. The crowd started yelling out band member names and various KC songs. When that ran out, there was a short silence, Someone yells out "Whipping Post!". That produced laughter form the crowd and the band. Belew steps up to the mike and said, "Well at least you didn't say Freebird" and they launch into Elephant Talk

Great story.

do you remember the free concerts in Central Park back then?

I saw Arlo Guthrie one night, and afterwards we went for a pizza. Who walks in? Arlo Guthrie with two guys. We told him we'd just seen his show (we lied and said we enjoyed it) They sat down at the table next to us, and hung out. They even bought us a round of Rheingolds, which even though we were underage, we drank like the good Mets fans we were.

• Haha 2