Your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time

26 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

A cop out, I know, but too tough for me to pick among the many Led Zep and Bon-Scott era AC/DC tunes (among those of many other bands) worthy of being on the list.  

I will say, however, that this song definitely would make the list.  Sublime live performance featuring the eponymous band leader, the great Zal Cleminson, and several future Michael Schenker Group alums.  

I think you and I are the only two folks to ever post an Alex Harvey tune.  (I posted "Vambo" a little while ago.)   They are definitely one of the most under-appreciated bands from that era.   Totally agree on Zal as a great guitar player.     

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I think you and I are the only two folks to ever post an Alex Harvey tune.  (I posted "Vambo" a little while ago.)   They are definitely one of the most under-appreciated bands from that era.   Totally agree on Zal as a great guitar player.     

Zal and Barriemore Barlow of Jethro Tull did an obscure project together in the early 1980's called Tandoori Cassette with Zal on vocals and guitar and Barrie on drums. It was supposedly much more New Wave than their work with SAHG and Tull, respectively, but was reported to be pretty good by those who had claimed to have heard it.  I tried to find it a few times over the years, but it was impossible.  Out of print and very few copies were ever released in the first place.

But thanks to the magic of youtube and the generosity of a Tull fan who actually owns a copy of the album, I present you two of their songs.  They are exactly as advertised.  So cool to be able to find stuff like this now that simply never would have been accessible to me in the pre-internet era.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, AFCEastFan said:

Zal and Barriemore Barlow of Jethro Tull did an obscure project together in the early 1980's called Tandoori Cassette with Zal on vocals and guitar and Barrie on drums. It was supposedly much more New Wave than their work with SAHG and Tull, respectively, but was reported to be pretty good by those who had claimed to have heard it.  I tried to find it a few times over the years, but it was impossible.  Out of print and very few copies were ever released in the first place.

But thanks to the magic of youtube and the generosity of a Tull fan who actually owns a copy of the album, I present you two of their songs.  They are exactly as advertised.  So cool to be able to find stuff like this now that simply never would have been accessible to me in the pre-internet era.  

Wow!  What a find.  Honestly, I had never heard of this project.  

Listening now on YouTube.  Sounds very much like Tears For Fears meets Howard Jones meets Thompson Twins with a bit of B52s thrown in for good measure.   I like it.

Thanks very much for sharing and turning me on to this.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

No matter that the heathens did not appreciate it.  At that very moment, the gods were shining on you.  

As a bass player at the time, "The Real Me" was one of the holy grails of songs to play.  We all got it mostly right.  But Entwistle's fills, nuances and feel were virtually impossible to attain.  

Rare song where the bass is the lead instrument pretty much the whole track. "Another One Bites the Dust" and...hard to think of any others. Entwistle also played the French horns on this song. Add in that Moon was a great drummer, but he was chaos attacking his kit and never played the same way on a song twice. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Rare song where the bass is the lead instrument pretty much the whole track. "Another One Bites the Dust" and...hard to think of any others. Entwistle also played the French horns on this song. Add in that Moon was a great drummer, but he was chaos attacking his kit and never played the same way on a song twice. 

If you listen to all of The Who's catalog, Entwistle has always approached his bass parts as a lead instrument.    Pete is a phenomenal rhythm guitarist.  But has stated that if you listen closely to the songs, especially in a live setting such as Live at Leeds, it's Ox who's doing most of the lead line fills.

Go to :39 in the video below where he explains his attack.  Also several of rock's luminaries laud Entwistle's playing and unique style.

And if you're looking for tunes with bass leading the way throughout, Chris Squire's work with Yes definitely fits the bill.  Check out him absolutely flying in "Sound Chaser".  

EDIT:  Had to listed to "Sound Chaser" all the way thru.  Damn these guys could play.  Tell me Patrick Moraz' synth solo at about 7:43 is not funky hot.  And Squire is a complete madman in every aspect of the song.  Wow, what chops.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I've seen Metallica about 10 times or so now, if I recall.  They're not great these days tbqh. 

In the late 80's and early 90's tho......wow.  That was special.  My first ever real concert was 10th row at Metallica.  Set me on a life path!

i saw em at the rio theater in valley stream. 100 people. the kill em all tour with cliff burton

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2020 at 10:23 AM, munchmemory said:

Love the story and Belew's response.  I saw Buddy Rich and his band at my college in the 70s.  Just a phenomenal show.  During a moment of quiet after the applause had wound down after a song, some idiot in the audience screams out "Stairway to Heaven".  Buddy just looked puzzled and asked another band member what the guy said.  Then shook his head, cursed the person under his breath, and launched the next number. 

do you guys think that Belew was racist, by todays standards (which is a crazy time to be alive)in that song "thela hugiungi" (whatever) where he tells the story about walking around NYC with a recorder and "these black guys came up to me"

A little off topic but Id like to share this crazy story about a 3 time loser, fantastic drummer friend named steve roberts. Seriously, this could be a movie:

He grew up in NJ. He was in a teen band around 15 or so. He loved this band and connected with the guitarist singer. His dad sold the house and they moved an hour or so away. He still tried jamming but the distance caught up to him and he wasnt old enough to drive so he had to quit. The guitarist in that band was a guy named bruce. bruce springsteen.

Fast forward a decade or so later. He is living i think in san fran. He goes to an audition in a multi room music studio. He isnt sure of the room. He goes in. The guys ask" are you here for the drum gig?' he says YES. They jam and there is a good vibe/jam session for 10 minutes. Then, the door opens a a guy also named steve walks in and says "sorry Im late. Im steve. steve smith. whos this dude ?" That was a band called Journey.

Then, he is in the san fran scene jamming with side projects with dead members. In one day walks jerry garcia. Jerry and him hit it off. Jerry likes his playing a lot. Jerry says "Hey, Im looking to do a little project in the next few weeks or months....would you be interested?" Of course he says YES. They exchange numbers. Steve needs a job. 2 weeks later he gets a gig with a road band that has 28 nights in a row book solid around the country. It pays 100 bucks a night. about half way through it, you guessed it, Jerry calls. Steve tells him the situation and that he will be ready in 20 days when this tour ends. Jerry says OK. He never hears back from Jerry but a month later The Jerry Garcia Band is born.

springsteen, journey and JGB

• Upvote 2

On 6/1/2020 at 8:01 AM, Warfish said:

Echoes - Pink Floyd

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

Terrapin Station - Grateful Dead

But really there are dozens upon dozens of songs I love just as much as these three just from these two bands alone.

Here is my PF tribute doing echoes. all 24 minutes! And click it to HD

• Sympathy 1

On 5/31/2020 at 11:08 PM, 14 in Green said:

Great story.

do you remember the free concerts in Central Park back then?

OK, here another CRAZY story I have. Then, Im done. Its about a friend named RAY.

So on the first day of JHS, 7th grade, here comes this kid wearing a red power cap (whatever they are called) like the guys in DEVO. Turns out hes a HUGE devo and jethro tull fan. He plays guitar this kid too.
fast forward to high school. Ray has a sort of comedic hardcore project called "The 6 and Violence". Somehow, he calls central park and makes believe he is a rep for DEVO and wants to arrange a concert in the park. Then, he somehow contacts DEVO as a rep for central park. LONG story short, DEVO plays central park all because of this kid from Martin Van Buren HS being a con man of sorts. Well, he and Mark from DEVO hit it off and he has been thier FOH touring engineer forever. Up until a few years ago, he was living in Marks pool house and dating Marks nanny!

But wait there is more. Remember how I said he was a huge TULL fan? Well around the time he conned everyone into the central park concert....somehow.....Ian Anderson calls him. Ian LOVES "The 6 and Violence" cassette! Ian flies him in for a house party in his home in England shortly after.

I cant make this stuff up. I am now done

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/2/2020 at 11:39 PM, The Crimson King said:

So checking out the THE confused Mrs. Crimson at first who questioned why I was listening to them and would I please stop, so I showed her this thread and my original reply. Her response was to insist on posting her three:

- Genesis: Musical Box, Supper's Ready, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight (pick one)

- Jean-Luc Ponty: New Country

- John Cafferty & TBBB: Garden of Eden

I told her none of that is classic rock and I didn't get to pick Birds of Fire, After the Cosmic Rains or Lark's Tongues in Aspic and you can't do the pick one of three thing but her response was "You want dinner?"

Yea I should have taken the musical box. just a masterpiece. These other bands....its almost laughable ....seriously...what they do compared to gabriel era genesis. Im talking zep, floyd, the who....even yes. all lightweights!  Early Genesis was unlike anything else on the planet

Theres a future for you in the fire escape trade

10 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Yea I should have taken the musical box. just a masterpiece. These other bands....its almost laughable ....seriously...what they do compared to gabriel era genesis. Im talking zep, floyd, the who....even yes. all lightweights!  Early Genesis was unlike anything else on the planet

Theres a future for you in the fire escape trade

Huh … gambling only pays when you're winning

From Trespass to Lamb, and they still hold up.

There's a band called Musical Box that does spot on recreations of the shows from that era only and even have the costumes plus the actual original slides for the background. Sells out the local theater type venues before a lot of name acts.  

Can you imagine that? A whole band dedicated to a tribute to one of the greats. Someone should try to do some other English artsy type bands (grinning and ducking)

Just now, HighPitch said:

OK, here another CRAZY story I have. Then, Im done. Its about a friend named RAY.

So on the first day of JHS, 7th grade, here comes this kid wearing a red power cap (whatever they are called) like the guys in DEVO. Turns out hes a HUGE devo and jethro tull fan. He plays guitar this kid too.
fast forward to high school. Ray has a sort of comedic hardcore project called "The 6 and Violence". Somehow, he calls central park and makes believe he is a rep for DEVO and wants to arrange a concert in the park. Then, he somehow contacts DEVO as a rep for central park. LONG story short, DEVO plays central park all because of this kid from Martin Van Buren HS being a con man of sorts. Well, he and Mark from DEVO hit it off and he has been thier FOH touring engineer forever. Up until a few years ago, he was living in Marks pool house and dating Marks nanny!

But wait there is more. Remember how I said he was a huge TULL fan? Well around the time he conned everyone into the central park concert....somehow.....Ian Anderson calls him. Ian LOVES "The 6 and Violence" cassette! Ian flies him in for a house party in his home in England shortly after.

I cant make this stuff up. I am now done

Now THAT is a story!!!!   :cheers:

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Huh … gambling only pays when you're winning

From Trespass to Lamb, and they still hold up.

There's a band called Musical Box that does spot on recreations of the shows from that era only and even have the costumes plus the actual original slides for the background. Sells out the local theater type venues before a lot of name acts.  

Can you imagine that? A whole band dedicated to a tribute to one of the greats. Someone should try to do some other English artsy type bands (grinning and ducking)

I*ve watched plenty of their videos on utube

• Upvote 1

Boston - More Than A Feeling.(Tom Scholz's pioneering production, that chord progression, Brad Delph's soaring vocals)

Black Sabbath - Panaroid (Maybe the greatest non "Smoke On The Water" riff ever) 

LZ - Whole Lotta Love (a rip off, but a good one)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Boston - More Than A Feeling.(Tom Schultz's pioneering production, that chord progression, Brad Delph's soaring vocals)

Black Sabbath - Panaroid (Maybe the greatest non "Smoke On The Water" riff ever) 

LZ - Whole Lotta Love (a rip off, but a good one)

Remember those old action movie trailers from the 80's and 90's ... "Get ready for the WILDEST ride of the summer" . . . that kind of thing?

I remember thinking in those days that there should be a law that Paranoid must be the soundtrack for every such trailer. 

2 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

Remember those old action movie trailers from the 80's and 90's ... "Get ready for the WILDEST ride of the summer" . . . that kind of thing?

I remember thinking in those days that there should be a law that Paranoid must be the soundtrack for every such trailer. 

Yeah.  It's nuts when you think that Tony Iommi came up with the music for that song during a lunch break.

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah HA, see @14 in Green, @The Crusher and @Drums?  I'm not the only one!

Most people who know something about music or music production could tell you why Tom Scholz's stuff is incredible.  I honestly don't think there has been a better album to listen to with a pair of headphones than Boston's self titled first album.  It's the Rosetta Stone for how you record rock guitar. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, pdxgreen said:

Most people who know something about music or music production could tell you why Tom Schultz's stuff is incredible.  I honestly don't think there has been a better album to listen to with a pair of headphones than Boston's self titled first album.  It's the Rosetta Stone for how you record rock guitar. 

I think I read somewhere that the lead guitarist of Boston didn't even learn how to play until he was 25?  Crazy.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah HA, see @14 in Green, @The Crusher and @Drums?  I'm not the only one!

LMAO

I saw it, and I swear, I said to myself "80 had to put him up to this"

Somethings going on here, but I can't figure out what!!! There's no freaking way TWO people on one message board pick "More Than A Feeling" 

This might sound kinda creepy, but from now on, every time I hear that song, I'm going to think of you two Jokers. ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LMAO

I saw it, and I swear, I said to myself "80 had to put him up to this"

Somethings going on here, but I can't figure out what!!! There's no freaking way TWO people on one message board pick "More Than A Feeling" 

This might sound kinda creepy, but from now on, every time I hear that song, I'm going to think of you two Jokers. ?

Nothing to figure out.  pdx and I simply have amazing taste, is all.

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think I read somewhere that the lead guitarist of Boston didn't even learn how to play until he was 25?  Crazy.

Dude went to MIT and worked for Polaroid designing who knows what, out of college.  He could probably do anything.  One of those seventies rock geniuses we produced back in that time period like Frank Zappa or Todd Rundgren.  

Speaking of Rundgren.  I try to get my friends into him and they are like, "Yeah.  I know Bang On The Drum All Day... that's funny."  I scream.  "No!  Todd was up in Woodstock doing whole albums by himself on speed playing like 10 different instruments at Bearsville Studios.  He's the godfather of yacht rock and new wave!  Don't you see!  Stop worshiping those classic English bands and listen to the first Montrose album.  Listen to Spirit.  You don't know good American  rock n' roll was back then!! AHHH!!"  They call me Mr. Classic Rock and they are probably right.

(Also.  Why does nobody like Utopia?  They were one of the greatest classic rock bands and their singles collection is great.  Almost every group after like 77 tried to sound like them.)

• Upvote 1

Just now, pdxgreen said:

Dude went to MIT and worked for Polaroid designing who knows what, out of college.  He could probably do anything.  One of those seventies rock geniuses we produced back in that time period like Frank Zappa or Todd Rundgren.  My friends are like, "Yeah.  I know Bang On The Drum All Day" that's funny."  I scream.  "No!  Todd was up in Woodstock doing whole albums by himself on speed playing like 10 different instruments at Bearsville Studios.  He's the godfather of yacht rock and new wave!  Don't you see!  Stop worshiping those English bands and listen to the first Montrose album.  You don't know good American bands were back then!! AHHH!!"  They call me Mr. Classic Rock and they are probably right.

I'm sorry, but until I see you and @Jetsfan80 in the same room together, I'm not buying this Boston thing.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm sorry, but until I see you and @Jetsfan80 in the same room together, I'm not buying this Boston thing.  

The Rockman.  Todd Scholz invented it.  An Amp/Direct Recording Device with Compression, Distortion, Stereo Chorus and Echo that created this defining sound on all Boston's albums.  Also a handy little device that got this distinctive analog-y tone for bedroom guitarists and that studio pros used for a decade or so after it's invented.  Maybe a few still do.  It's very a dated sound like synths and key-tars were in the 80's.  But when it's used right on those Boston records on all those layered guitar parts... it's like Ear Candy.

All those chorus guitar parts on 80's butt rock bands of poppy hard rock bands like Def Leppard  You hear those chord shapes.. and there always seem to be a Rockman behind them.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

The Dead, The Band and The Allman Brothers.

Scarlet Begonias/ Fire on the Mountain; The Weight and Whipping Post

In 1989, the Dead played a Rainforest benefit concert at MSG. Tickets in first 15 rows went for $250 ($200 tax deductible) and came with an invitation to an afterparty in the East Village that the Dead were promised to attend. My brother and I went and got to hang out with Mickey Hart who personally inscribed copies of the concert poster for us. They are my GOAT!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Deep Purple. The Who, Led Zeppelin

EDIT:  Damn it.  I didn't see Rush at first.

I just listened to Just Because by Jane’s addiction. What a great up tune. Makes me want to make love to one woman and two sandwiches at the sane time. 

• Haha 1