New York Jets: Daniel Jerimiah predicts Quinnen Williams breakout year

35 minutes ago, KRL said:

Its fine to be disappointed in Williams rookie year, he didn't
play up to his draft status.  But let's not lie about him, he was
a dominant DLineman on an elite Alabama team in the best conference
in college football.  He wasn't a JAG, Alabama was on TV every week
and Williams dominated every week.  His talent now has to come out in the pros

Really? Like he got dominated in the Championship game.  He had zero effect.  And he played on a stud DL in his time there. He's been exposed.  

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, Drums said:

What about that high ankle sprain? Wouldn’t that slow you down? Seems like one of the worst injuries these guys can get. 

Nah...I don’t even care about production.  i care about what I saw and I saw a guy that didn’t have explosives power.  He really didn’t even splash.  You know the goods when I see and he doesn’t have the goods.

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah...I don’t even care about production.  i care about what I saw and I saw a guy that didn’t have explosives power.  He really didn’t even splash.  You know the goods when I see and he doesn’t have the goods.

I felt similar watching him most of the season but I don’t know how much the high ankle sprain affected his explosiveness (seems like a direct connection). That's why I am waiting to see what he does this year before I start hating him. I can still hate Mac for drafting another d-lineman though. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Drums said:

I felt similar watching him most of the season but I don’t know how much the high ankle sprain affected his explosiveness (seems like a direct connection). That's why I am waiting to see what he does this year before I start hating him. I can still hate Mac for drafting another d-lineman though. 

Fair enough.  I feel like he would have flashed something if he had.  With that said, I can think of one play (I don’t remember what game it was) where he got into the backfield and his closing speed was really impressive - took down a RB for a nice loss.  But that was literally the only play that truly impressed me with him.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Fair enough.  I feel like he would have flashed something if he had.  With that said, I can think of one play (I don’t remember what game it was) where he got into the backfield and his closing speed was really impressive - took down a RB for a nice loss.  But that was literally the only play that truly impressed me with him.

He did look pretty good in the 2nd Miami game when I rewatched it but I would still like to go back and watch more of him with the free NFL game pass. 

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

A 3rd overall pick in the draft is not some developmental long term project guy who slowly moves along to 5 sacks, then 8 sacks.

He has his rookie excuse year out of the way he has to be vastly better and a force on the inside that teams have to worry about or it was a fail pick.

This.

Aaron Donald had 9 sacks, 2 FFs and 13 QB Hits his rookie year.

Ed Oliver had 5 sacks, 1 FF, and 8 QB Hits.  

I don't care that QW is far better suited as a DT in a 4-3 front as opposed to what he was asked to do as a rookie. 

I don't care how many double teams he faced. 

I don't even much care what injury(ies) he was dealing with, either.

Produce.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It was obvious QW simply wasn’t explosive enough to be a difference maker.  He may turn into a quality starting caliber run stopper but it’s unrealistic to expect anything more

lol.  Nope.  He was in the 95th percentile in athleticism among the 2019 draft class.  He absolutely was ranked as high as he was because he is expected to rush the passer.  

If he fails, it'll be because of a lack of effort, lack of ability to translate his skillset to the pros, or some other factor.  It will not be because he lacks the raw, God-given athleticism to be a pass-rushing DT.  

• Upvote 1

QW isn’t looking too fit 

hi girlfriend posts a lot and appears to want to get a big following

its a lot of unhealthy eating and video games and hanging out 

he works out too of course but from what I’ve seen just from social media makes me very concerned he’s gonna bust

jmo 

0245CB66-B3F4-46BB-89FB-D207ADA6760C.png

• Upvote 4

Colour me shocked that one of pundits responsible for this QW mythical reputation is now telling ppl “no no wait, you’ll see!...”

QW will probably come around. He’s a decent to good football player. That’s Not the problem. The problem is he should have never been in the conversation at 3. Not for us, or anyone.

Product of draft media. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:48 AM, Bungaman said:

I think the year of experience, time in the weight and nutrition program, and just growing a year older will help. He's barely a man - a big teen playing with mature men. He'll get better, year on year.

The off-season program has been trashed by COVID. Let’s hope he has put the time in and be disciplined. Nothing replaces working out with teammates. All the gyms have been closed along with 1 Jets Drive 

• Upvote 3

On 5/30/2020 at 10:44 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  Nope.  He was in the 95th percentile in athleticism among the 2019 draft class.  He absolutely was ranked as high as he was because he is expected to rush the passer.  

If he fails, it'll be because of a lack of effort, lack of ability to translate his skillset to the pros, or some other factor.  It will not be because he lacks the raw, God-given athleticism to be a pass-rushing DT.  

Come on...

Work out speed and in game speed are two VERY different things.  You know that yet you used a silly argument.  I thought you were better than that. :-)

On 5/30/2020 at 11:00 AM, Dcat said:

Let's put it this way.  After his rookie season, It can only get better.

let's pt it this way, leo only had 1/2 sack the whole of 2019.  qwill had 2.5 and started 9 games.  he had better than leo numbers during his rookie year. and he was injured much of the time.  he'll get better with better training, maturity.

• Upvote 2

Pretty soon the Sports Media will have told us more Jets will have "breakout years" and "become superstars" in 2020 than will NOT have breakout years or become superstars.

Waiting on the "Trevon Wesco will have a Breakout Year, Next Superstar" article....

On 5/30/2020 at 11:00 AM, Dcat said:

Let's put it this way.  After his rookie season, It can only get better.

Contra Case QW was a vital part of one of the best run defenses in football. He played well. In fact he played better, day to day, game to game than Josh Allen did, with his flashy empty 9 sacks on the 29th ranked Jacksonville Defense 

QW did more to help the Jets win games last year than Josh Allen did to help Jacksonville win games, stats be damned. 

He also has insane upside, something Josh Allen has essentially zero 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Contra Case QW was a vital part of one of the best run defenses in football. He played well. In fact he played better, day to day, game to game than Josh Allen did, with his flashy empty 9 sacks on the 29th ranked Jacksonville Defense 

QW did more to help the Jets win games last year than Josh Allen did to help Jacksonville win games, stats be damned. 

He also has insane upside, something Josh Allen has essentially zero 

lmfao - you're on hot take lunacy lately and I love it! 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve noticed this, too. His social media makes it look like he’s been on Spring Break for six months. I think @Matt39 called it with guys like Quinnen and Dee Milliner—they’re just so country gooberish that they aren’t prepared for life in the NFL and don’t know what it takes to stick once they leave that Alabama bubble.

Most 20 year olds are not prepared for life in the NFL. the ones that are are like Lonzo Ball Russell Wilson level freaks, disliked by every other "normal" athlete. 

also most NFL die hard fans like us are old f--ks who should thank Jeebus every night that cell phone cameras weren't invented when we were 20

as for the Bama connection

Dee Milliner's body was racked up by Saban before he got to the NFL. He was destroyed before he was picked. That was an indictment of the jets Butchers, I mean team doctors. 

even Q had to play through some sort of injury middle of his rookie year

think about how rookies have gone non stop (Bowl game - Combine Training - Pro Day - Mini Camp - Training Camp - Season) and that's why the rookie wall exists.  

Q is fine. the real story is Alabama prospects get beat to sh*t 

because their practices are how NFL games used to be 30 years ago 

and everyone there is playing for their supper 

the Original Country Goober by the way was Bryan Thomas who came from UAB *Alabama-Birmingham* 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Most 20 year olds are not prepared for life in the NFL. the ones that are are like Lonzo Ball Russell Wilson level freaks, disliked by every other "normal" athlete. 

also most NFL die hard fans like us are old f--ks who should thank Jeebus every night that cell phone cameras weren't invented when we were 20

as for the Bama connection

Dee Milliner's body was racked up by Saban before he got to the NFL. He was destroyed before he was picked. That was an indictment of the jets Butchers, I mean team doctors. 

even Q had to play through some sort of injury middle of his rookie year

think about how rookies have gone non stop (Bowl game - Combine Training - Pro Day - Mini Camp - Training Camp - Season) and that's why the rookie wall exists.  

Q is fine. the real story is Alabama prospects get beat to sh*t 

because their practices are how NFL games used to be 30 years ago 

and everyone there is playing for their supper 

the Original Country Goober by the way was Bryan Thomas who came from UAB *Alabama-Birmingham* 

I agree in that I think Quinnen played better last year than he gets credit for, but in order to justify the draft slot, we’re going to need to see more, and his body looks like a bag of sausage right now. 

Just now, JiF said:

lmfao - you on hot take lunacy lately and I love it! 

The Jags defense is criminally overrated. NFL.com had them at 4 when the season started 

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/14/nfl-com-ranks-jaguars-defense-at-no-4-heading-into-2019/

They finished 21 overall (31st against the run)

Jets were like 12 overall (2nd against the run) 

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/rushing/2019/reg/all

Josh Allen is a poor man's Johnny Abe. He's a liability against the run all game long (Becton vs Josh Allen) and in return he will get you four sacks in one half in a game you're going to lose anyway. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve noticed this, too. His social media makes it look like he’s been on Spring Break for six months. I think @Matt39 called it with guys like Quinnen and Dee Milliner—they’re just so country gooberish that they aren’t prepared for life in the NFL and don’t know what it takes to stick once they leave that Alabama bubble.

100% but who cares if he's a fat slob, honestly.  He was never going to rush the passer at the next level, like, that's never going to be a thing and not sure why anyone ever thought it would be so let him become a fat slob and just continue doing the only thing he can do and assist stopping the run.  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Josh Allen #5 - Bit says he sucks lol but you peep next gen stats on mph for Bell because dats da truth

https://www.nfl.com/news/myles-garrett-nick-bosa-among-nfl-s-top-10-best-disruptors-of-2019

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

The Jags defense is criminally overrated. NFL.com had them at 4 when the season started 

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/14/nfl-com-ranks-jaguars-defense-at-no-4-heading-into-2019/

They finished 21 overall (31st against the run)

Jets were like 12 overall (2nd against the run) 

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/rushing/2019/reg/all

Josh Allen is a poor man's Johnny Abe. He's a liability against the run all game long (Becton vs Josh Allen) and in return he will get you four sacks in one half in a game you're going to lose anyway. 

lmfao  I love you dude.  When you're on, you really dont have a rival. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree in that I think Quinnen played better last year than he gets credit for, but in order to justify the draft slot, we’re going to need to see more, and his body looks like a bag of sausage right now. 

The last thing any Jets fan should worry about is the defensive line. Or the defense in general. Williams will sort it out we all know he will. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Josh Allen #5 - Bit says he sucks lol but you peep next gen stats on mph for Bell because dats da truth

https://www.nfl.com/news/myles-garrett-nick-bosa-among-nfl-s-top-10-best-disruptors-of-2019

The numbers on Allen looks awesome. When he gets those sacks is like "eh." He sacked Darnold twice in Week 8

90% of the threads on this board talk about how all the problems of the team can be traced to the pathetic Jets offensive line 

Josh Allen doesn't impress me, racking up empty numbers

here's some numbers the Jets went 7-9 while the Jags went 6-10. Both had inconsistency at the QB position. That's what decides these football games. not what Defensive lineman makes more disruptions per capita.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

He was never going to rush the passer at the next level, like, that's never going to be a thing and not sure why anyone ever thought it would be 

he's 21

how come it's ok to pretend Sam Darnold is going to be the king of the AFC East but it's lunacy to believe Q Williams learns something between year 1 and year 2? each is an exercise in blind faith

let me repeat the defense was the only unit holding up their end of the bargain last year. Specials and Offense were atrocious. I don't even know why these threads exist, except so #14 jersey buyers can continue being delusional about the real inflection point of this tea m

as for Q, he probably not going to be Aaron Donald but he can be Jonathan Allen and in fact they are on similar career paths. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The last thing any Jets fan should worry about is the defensive line. Or the defense in general. Williams will sort it out we all know he will. 

The numbers on Allen looks awesome. When he gets those sacks is like "eh." He sacked Darnold twice in Week 8

90% of the threads on this board talk about how all the problems of the team can be traced to the pathetic Jets offensive line 

Josh Allen doesn't impress me, racking up empty numbers

here's some numbers the Jets went 7-9 while the Jags went 6-10. Both had inconsistency at the QB position. That's what decides these football games. not what Defensive lineman makes more disruptions per capita.

So Josh Allen rookie year was not impressive to you but Q's was?  lol

okay...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he's 21

how come it's ok to pretend Sam Darnold is going to be the king of the AFC East but it's lunacy to believe Q Williams learns something between year 1 and year 2? each is an exercise in blind faith

let me repeat the defense was the only unit holding up their end of the bargain last year. Specials and Offense were atrocious. I don't even know why these threads exist, except so #14 jersey buyers can continue being delusional about the real inflection point of this tea m

as for Q, he probably not going to be Aaron Donald but he can be Jonathan Allen and in fact they are on similar career paths. 

Josh Allen is 22 and apparently reached the pinnacle of his NFL career and will not learn anything from his rookie season?

Do you see what you're doing here?  lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

So Josh Allen rookie year was not impressive to you but Q's was?  lol

okay...

Josh Allen is an OK player but his STATS are not impressive. When he gets those sacks, against what teams, at what point in the game, I'm telling ya, It's johnny abe part 2. Sacks are great when the game is on the line. Getting garbage time stats only helps fantasy not winning games. The Jags are the kings of garbage time, both sides of the football. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Josh Allen is 22 and apparently reached the pinnacle of his NFL career and will not learn anything from his rookie season?

Do you see what you're doing here?  lol

Josh Allen can maybe squeeze a couple more sacks out of his skillset. I'm not sure he'll ever be able to stop the run. Hugh Douglas is another example except Hugh Douglas changed his game over time and did eventually stop the run and become a complete player.

meanwhile QW is yet to become a complete player, but he could. he has more physical upside than Allen. Which could amount to nothing.

But I stand by the "Empty Stats" I've watched enough of the 2019 Jags defense to say if there's 1 game to play, all on the line, i.e. Playoffs, Williams probably does more to help his team win that game than Allen does. Williams makes stops 4th and 1 etc. Allen gets sacks and it doesn't impact the game because they are already up by 20 or down by 20. 

Fact is they are both valuable players in different ways. 

I predict QW plays bigger in bigger games.

But for any of that to matter, Sam Darnold / Gardner Mishew has to get much better. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:44 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Are you sure?   I am going off of memory, but didn't he avoid the agility tests like the plague?  He was elite in what he tested in, but he didn't test in the events where he wasn't elite.  Athleticism is certainly why many of us preferred Oliver and I think the agility numbers are often what distinguishes good pass rushers from good linemen.

• Upvote 2

On 5/30/2020 at 10:41 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

This.

Aaron Donald had 9 sacks, 2 FFs and 13 QB Hits his rookie year.

Ed Oliver had 5 sacks, 1 FF, and 8 QB Hits.  

I don't care that QW is far better suited as a DT in a 4-3 front as opposed to what he was asked to do as a rookie. 

I don't care how many double teams he faced. 

I don't even much care what injury(ies) he was dealing with, either.

Produce.

In his defense he's "only 22, he's a baby", it's not his fault he was the 3rd pick in the draft, people need to be patient. He didn't play 4 years in college, give him time. It's not his fault he missed games and that affected his play. He heroically played through it. I just know he's got elite talent, don't let the numbers fool you. it isn't his fau…

OOPS wait! My bad, I thought we were talking about Sam, we're talking about Quinnen. :dohslap:

In that case...

In his defense he's "only 22, he's a baby" it's not his fault he was the 3rd pick in the draft, people need to be patient. He didn't play 4 years in college, give him time. It's not his fault he missed games and that affected his play. He heroically played through it. I just know he's got elite talent, don't let the numbers fool you. it isn't his fau...

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

100% but who cares if he's a fat slob, honestly.  He was never going to rush the passer at the next level, like, that's never going to be a thing and not sure why anyone ever thought it would be so let him become a fat slob and just continue doing the only thing he can do and assist stopping the run.  

Disagree here. He was taken #3 overall because he was seen as someone who could rush the passer from the inside. The Jets, Bills, and fish all took DTs that year, all looking to get pressure up the middle on Tom Brady - who's now gone to Tampa, lol. These QBs all get the ball out so fast nowadays that defenses have to be able to get interior pressure. There's not enough time most plays for your Edge to make it around the edge. 

I don't want QW to be a fat slob. I want him to be that slippery, quick 300 lb-er they thought they were getting. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/30/2020 at 10:48 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

This.  QW better damn well become a future HOFer for that pick to be justified.  

Wow... and QW only cost us the 3rd pick in the draft. We all know you want to get rid of Adams. I'm afraid to ask what you expect from the young QB.

*shudder*