New York Jets: Daniel Jerimiah predicts Quinnen Williams breakout year

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The last thing any Jets fan should worry about is the defensive line. Or the defense in general. Williams will sort it out we all know he will. 

The numbers on Allen looks awesome. When he gets those sacks is like "eh." He sacked Darnold twice in Week 8

90% of the threads on this board talk about how all the problems of the team can be traced to the pathetic Jets offensive line 

Josh Allen doesn't impress me, racking up empty numbers

here's some numbers the Jets went 7-9 while the Jags went 6-10. Both had inconsistency at the QB position. That's what decides these football games. not what Defensive lineman makes more disruptions per capita.

Josh Allens 10 sacks don't matter, but Q.Williams 2.5 sacks and rotating with other DLinemen to stop the run is justitication for the pick? Quick tell me when Quinnen got his sacks, they were definitely not game closing sacks or came at critical moments. You switch Allen and Williams and the Jets beat the Jags straight up last year. I hope this kid proves me wrong but I would have taken Allen or a trade down. Jets have been good at stopping the run way before Quinnen got here, the issue has been the pass rush for the past 15 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Josh Allens 10 sacks don't matter, but Q.Williams 2.5 sacks and rotating with other DLinemen to stop the run is justitication for the pick? Quick tell me when Quinnen got his sacks, they were definitely not game closing sacks or came at critical moments.  

Rather than use words, this is the game highlights from Jets @ Jags 2019

10 minutes of game action, Josh Allen appears 2x. Btw this was the game Edoga started at LT and Ryan Kalil at C the OL was truly at peak sieve. 

other game notes

Darryl Roberts at FS is an abomination (Ashtyn Davis pick makes so much sense)

LeVeon Bell lays such a turd burger on 3rd and 1, they fake it to him on 4th and 1.   

Darnold is under duress he's also quick to tuck it and panic.  Jags had 10 sacks on this day not all of them were on the line. At some point you have to recognise the blitz. How many times did Gardner Minshew escape? That's why the sack stat is meaningless

put it another way Jordan Jenkins had only 2 sacks less last year than Josh Allen. A man who is worth 1 year 3.5 million. 

Sacks as a stat are bogus in that good QBs get rid of the ball. Geno Smith gets sacked 10x that pads guys like Josh Allen's numbers

by the way Allen gets a sack at 13-7 Jags against Edoga at LT (FF out of bounds) and his 2nd sack is in garbagio time 

did it affect the game? A little. Ngokwe was beast mode from minute 1. 

• Sympathy 1

This Williams pick was undoubtedly idiotic.  I thought so at the time and it would take an excessive amount to make me think even slightly differently about it at any point.  With that said, the idiocy of that pick falls at the feet of (1) Maccagnan for making the pick of the single least need of the entire team, and (2) Chris Johnson for allowing a repeatedly proven failure in Mac to still be employed at that point to even make the pick.

That said, the idiocy of the pick isn't Quinnen's fault, so while I may never like it, I'll still certainly root for him to continually improve and hopefully be a difference-maker for the Jets, in at least some ways, even if not in every way you'd come to expect from a #3 overall pick.  With that said, he needs to earn his way into getting even those opportunities, because after last year Gregg Williams has done more than enough to show he deserves to make the calls for how his defense is run, and that includes him using Quinnen in whatever way he feels most appropriate, regardless of where he was selected.  The plus side is with Mac gone, it's far less likely anyone will be trying to force Quinnen on Gregg too strongly.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

10 minutes of game action, Josh Allen appears 2x. Btw this was the game Edoga started at LT and Ryan Kalil at C the OL was truly at peak sieve. 

other game notes

LeVeon Bell lays such a turd burger on 3rd and 1, they fake it to him on 4th and 1.   

Darnold is under duress he's also quick to tuck it and panic.  Jags had 10 sacks on this day not all of them were on the line. At some point you have to recognise the blitz. How many times did Gardner Minshew escape? That's why the sack stat is meaningless

put it another way Jordan Jenkins had only 2 sacks less last year than Josh Allen. A man who is worth 1 year 3.5 million. 

Sacks as a stat are bogus in that good QBs get rid of the ball. Geno Smith gets sacked 10x that pads guys like Josh Allen's numbers

by the way Allen gets a sack at 13-7 Jags against Edoga at LT (FF out of bounds) and his 2nd sack is in garbagio time 

I can't wait to see what Griffin and Herndon, plus some better blocking and no mono, can do because I think Sam is a different QB when he has even one of them in the game. This Jags game was a rough one though man, basically when I lost all hope for the season and Gase.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Drums said:

I can't wait to see what Griffin and Herndon, plus some better blocking and no mono, can do because I think Sam is a different QB when he has even one of them in the game. This Jags game was a rough one though man, basically when I lost all hope for the season and Gase.

it should also be noted the only offensive threat the Jets had was 11, and he's a Carolina Panther now. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it should also be noted the only offensive threat the Jets had was 11, and he's a Carolina Panther now. 

Yeah I'll miss him but I don't agree. I think Mims and Perriman might be able to make up for losing Robby, especially since he disappeared in games. He was feast or famine. I think Sam's favorite and most useful weapon is Herndon and that will show if the guy can get on the field this year. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Wow... and QW only cost us the 3rd pick in the draft. We all know you want to get rid of Adams. I'm afraid to ask what you expect from the young QB.

*shudder*

I know right?  So unreasonable to expect top 10 picks to become great, impactful players from time to time.  Mediocrity rocks!!

11 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah I'll miss him but I don't agree. I think Mims and Perriman might be able to make up for losing Robby, especially since he disappeared in games. He was feast or famine. I think Sam's favorite and most useful weapon is Herndon and that will show if the guy can get on the field this year. 

Crowder and Griffin are competent NFL players. Not amazing,  not terrible, but decent enough. 

Perriman and Herndon are sportscars: pretty but always in the shop

Mims has to be Terrell Owens for this offense to scare opposing DC's. 

I don't know how we got here in a QW thread but he did split a half sack with Kyle Phillips in the Jags game.  If He can stay healthy for 16 maybe he can produce more fan friendly numbers. They were 7-6 in games with QW last year 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillQu00/gamelog/2019/

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Come on...

Work out speed and in game speed are two VERY different things.  You know that yet you used a silly argument.  I thought you were better than that. :-)

So magically the guy became less than a top-tier athlete once he puts on pads?  You come on.

The guy was either hurt, lazy, or a combination of both.  That's why it didn't show up in his rookie year.  But don't pretend this guy was only supposed to be a run-stuffer coming out of school. 

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

other game notes

Good takeaways, thanks for posting the video.

Darnold was under pressure all game, some of that was on him and some on the OLine. Check out the sack at 5:10, that's a 4 man rush that gets to Darnold almost instantly, that's not on him. Same thing at 6 minutes and at 6:10 Edoga gets beat by Ngakoue in 1 quick move. Allen's 1st sack came on 3rd and 8, a drive killer at midfield. I couldn't find the 2nd sack but those 2 sacks already almost match Quinnens whole season sack production. I get Q plays the run well but Allen was also pressuring Darnold when not getting sacks, which is also valuable.

I hate to mention Adams because the original post was about Q and Allen, but in the 1st 3 minutes of the highlights, Adams is in the box blitzing on Leonards long run on the 1st play of the game, he caught him 60 yards down field to his credit and later in the drive gives up a TD playing in coverage, showing off his amazing coverage skills. In the next drive for Jacksonville, on another blitzing play, Minshew steps up away from a blitzing Jamal leaving a open receiver 30 yards downfield. The commentator even mentions how theres no safety in sight. Those 1st 3 minutes are good examples of why I don't want to pay Jamal a mega contract.

It would be nice to see for sure.  From where I was sitting, my belief was that he was unsure of himself at the pro level.  It is hard to focus and commit all you have to a play if you are not sure of yourself.  I think once he gets some experience and confidence, he'll come out of his shell.  I'll be pulling for him.  He seems a likable fellow...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you sure?   I am going off of memory, but didn't he avoid the agility tests like the plague?  He was elite in what he tested in, but he didn't test in the events where he wasn't elite.  Athleticism is certainly why many of us preferred Oliver and I think the agility numbers are often what distinguishes good pass rushers from good linemen.

Yeah, he didn't participate in the Short Shuttle or 3 Cone, evidently.

quinnen-williams-ras-19776.png?w=640&ssl

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Crowder and Griffin are competent NFL players. Not amazing,  not terrible, but decent enough. 

Perriman and Herndon are sportscars: pretty but always in the shop

I don't know how we got here in a QW thread but he did split a half sack with Kyle Phillips in the Jags game.  If He can stay healthy for 16 maybe he can produce more fan friendly numbers. They were 7-6 in games with QW last year 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillQu00/gamelog/2019/

Haha yea I just watched those highlights from what you posted and Griffin was one of the only bright spots but yeah back to debating Q...

I used to say that QW was a nice kid but overvalued NFL draft pick.  

When you look at the physiques of the DL prospects at the combine and compare them to QW, there is no comparison.   It is just hard to see him as a successful NFL player.  

Ed Oliver is an animal, but also crazy.  

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

Josh Allen is an OK player but his STATS are not impressive. When he gets those sacks, against what teams, at what point in the game, I'm telling ya, It's johnny abe part 2. Sacks are great when the game is on the line. Getting garbage time stats only helps fantasy not winning games. The Jags are the kings of garbage time, both sides of the football. 

Josh Allen can maybe squeeze a couple more sacks out of his skillset. I'm not sure he'll ever be able to stop the run. Hugh Douglas is another example except Hugh Douglas changed his game over time and did eventually stop the run and become a complete player.

meanwhile QW is yet to become a complete player, but he could. he has more physical upside than Allen. Which could amount to nothing.

But I stand by the "Empty Stats" I've watched enough of the 2019 Jags defense to say if there's 1 game to play, all on the line, i.e. Playoffs, Williams probably does more to help his team win that game than Allen does. Williams makes stops 4th and 1 etc. Allen gets sacks and it doesn't impact the game because they are already up by 20 or down by 20. 

Fact is they are both valuable players in different ways. 

I predict QW plays bigger in bigger games.

But for any of that to matter, Sam Darnold / Gardner Mishew has to get much better. 

The Jags won 6 games, the Jets won 7.  So with your logic, QWill impacted the game on a team with a losing record by "helping" stop the run but Josh Allen didnt impact the game by having 10.5 sacks because he was on a losing team?  wtf

And the best part is how you're only focusing on the sack #.  Allen also had 31 solo tackles, 44 total, 11 TFL, 2 FF and 23 QB hits.  lmfao  

Meanwhile QWill had 15 solo tackles, 28 total, 4 TFL, 6 QB hits and fumble recovery.

I mean, what are we doing here dude?  lol

Allen was the most versatile defender in the draft and it was foolish passing on him for a run stuffer.  He 100% is projecting much better than QWill, this is a foolish conversation. No offense. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, slats said:

Disagree here. He was taken #3 overall because he was seen as someone who could rush the passer from the inside. The Jets, Bills, and fish all took DTs that year, all looking to get pressure up the middle on Tom Brady - who's now gone to Tampa, lol. These QBs all get the ball out so fast nowadays that defenses have to be able to get interior pressure. There's not enough time most plays for your Edge to make it around the edge. 

I don't want QW to be a fat slob. I want him to be that slippery, quick 300 lb-er they thought they were getting. 

Yeah but he was never that...the experts get it wrong all the time. It was easy to see the stuff he was getting away with in college surrounded by the best defensive lineman in the country was never going to fly in the NFL.  You dont just sidestep Centers on easy paths the QB and/or slap them out of the way unless you're a freak like Kris Jenkins and QWill just isnt that.  He doesnt have near the strength or twitch.  Sorry, he doesnt have the athletic profile to be pass rusher in the NFL.  Hope I'm wrong but I'm seeing visions of DRob all over again, which now makes sense why Bit is diggin his heels in on him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

other game notes

Wait, so now we're using a game where Allen had sacks and they won as an example of how he's not impacting the game? 

lmfao

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Is Quinnen the new Dewayne Robertson?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah but he was never that...the experts get it wrong all the time. It was easy to see the stuff he was getting away with in college surrounded by the best defensive lineman in the country was never going to fly in the NFL.  You dont just sidestep Centers on easy paths the QB and/or slap them out of the way unless you're a freak like Kris Jenkins and QWill just isnt that.  He doesnt have near the strength or twitch.  Sorry, he doesnt have the athletic profile to be pass rusher in the NFL.  Hope I'm wrong but I'm seeing visions of DRob all over again, which now makes sense why Bit is diggin his heels in on him.

Ninja'd lol

• Haha 1

What's glaring to me about that Jags game is how Jamal was being used in the 1st 2 drives by Jacksonville and how easily it can be exposed. Jamal off the edge 1st play of the game, Fournette rushes by for 60 yards. Credit to Jamal that he caught him down the field but still.

Later on that same drive Adams is playing the WR and he runs by in the EZ for a TD. On the following drive Adams once again comes off the edge, Minshew steps up and throws a floater over the backers to where Adams would be playing coverage, resulting in a long TD. If the Jaguars and Minshew can scheme around it so will all the good teams we play this year.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

terry crews pass GIF

That guy was a BEAST -- I'll never forget that first Rex game vs the Texans. It was one of the most dominant games I've ever seen, let alone by the Jets.

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

I don’t think so and I don’t think that’s our play this year.  I think we are looking for improved line play where we win at the point of attack.  Bell is the key.  If we free him for gashes we have a different story.  Then Darnold can distribute to a range of receivers most of whom with great speed.  With limited star power at the WR position that is how we would have to do it.  

On 5/30/2020 at 1:05 PM, Drums said:

What about that high ankle sprain? Wouldn’t that slow you down? Seems like one of the worst injuries these guys can get. 

I think we really over look that injury and how it effects him pushing off of it coming out of his stance.  He should be much better and more explosive this year, plus a year in the system and getting stronger.   This coming from someone who wanted Josh Allen, I am excited to see what QW can do this season.  He can turn a very good Dline to an elite one. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:48 AM, Bungaman said:

I think the year of experience, time in the weight and nutrition program, and just growing a year older will help. He's barely a man - a big teen playing with mature men. He'll get better, year on year.

Unfortunately no off season program may hurt him

On 5/30/2020 at 10:41 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

This.

Aaron Donald had 9 sacks, 2 FFs and 13 QB Hits his rookie year.

Ed Oliver had 5 sacks, 1 FF, and 8 QB Hits.  

I don't care that QW is far better suited as a DT in a 4-3 front as opposed to what he was asked to do as a rookie. 

I don't care how many double teams he faced. 

I don't even much care what injury(ies) he was dealing with, either.

Produce.

+1

who here has actually seen Q in person? Not as big a guy as you’d expect for his position. I believe this was always the knock on him, not developed and strong enough. He needs to be making an impact out of the gate this year. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2020 at 9:36 AM, MindOverMatter said:

but in the 1st 3 minutes of the highlights, Adams is in the box blitzing on Leonards long run on the 1st play of the game, he caught him 60 yards down field to his credit and later in the drive gives up a TD playing in coverage, showing off his amazing coverage skills. In the next drive for Jacksonville, on another blitzing play, Minshew steps up away from a blitzing Jamal leaving a open receiver 30 yards downfield. The commentator even mentions how theres no safety in sight. Those 1st 3 minutes are good examples of why I don't want to pay Jamal a mega contract.

bingo