Did Jets Overpay for Free Agent Lineman?

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Alex Lewis is pencilled in as starting LG but he wasn’t great last year (tho shockingly he was our best OL last year). I’d imagine Clarke is the main competition there.

If Clark could win the starting job year one we'd be in good shape (if it is because he is that good and not because Lewis isn't). I didn't hate Lewis but what worries me is his penalties.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

I mean I think you’re right about growing pains but the two words that come to mind are Kelvin Beachum.  I mean what an unathletic way below average starting Left Tackle. The fans were ok having him last year and I really can’t see Becton being worse than him. At least Edge guys will have to go around Mekhi. 

I rewatched the dolphins game last year and saw Beachum do a pass set after he had shiffle stepped (untouched) at an angle directly back into Sam dropping back- the edge was 90% to Sam before first contact and a little nudge put Beachums back right into Sam’s chest. 

OL was so horrendous last year that I think the fans will forgive a rookie. Brick took 2-3 years to develop his skinny ass.

It's pretty telling that Beachum is STILL a free agent, too.

Thanks Macc.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

7th round draft pick and #11 overall is a big difference.  All I’m saying is expectations are waaaay too high for this kid right now.  I’m not saying he’ll be worse than Beachum - I think he’ll be better...but expectations are everything.  He’s going to have games where he’s getting beat regularly and this fan base has very little patience.

Beachum's draft pedigree no longer has any impact on how his play here should be viewed.  He's 30 years old, has been a starting Offensive Lineman for 3 different franchises, and made good money while he was here.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jeez, you really are obsessed with old No Knees. 

While I'm sure JD was waiting on Conklin's decision before signing Fant, there was zero evidence that this was a "panic move".  Much more likely he set a line in the sand on what he was willing to pay Conklin.  The Browns went significantly over that line.  Oh well.

Agreed.  FidelioJet likes to make sh*t up and assume his word is “gospel”.  ? 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Robby Anderson will sign for $14 million per year."

He repeated that one over and over again.  That should go on his tombstone.

More than anything is his constant negativity is irritating.  Every move JD made was a “rookie mistake” and every big money signing another team made was a missed opportunity by us ? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This isn’t a rookie or second year guy.  He’s a fifth year player that has been nothing but a back-up and a back-up on a sh—ty line.

How often do 5th year guys that have mostly sucked their entire career become good?  I can’t recall it ever happening.  

It’s not an everyday occurrence for sure but the last time we went Seattle we got James Carpenter and he exactly fits that description, massively underwhelming first round pick who was terrific for us year 1.

You could also argue guys like James Farrior, Sione Pouha and even Jericho Cotchery all showed little or nothing until a coaching/scenery/scheme change allowed them to break out.

We know Fant can dominate a great player for an entire 60 minutes(Bosa SF) the question is can he translate that out to a consistent level of high performance over a full season.

it does happen, 

• Upvote 3

That was the first time I watched Fant play and he pushed Bosa around like a little girl. I then watched an interview with him and was impressed. He was stuck in a bad situation behind established starters mostly playing a sixth OT in rushing situations and reported tackle eligible every time he was put in. When he got the opportunity due to injuries he looked good on the LT. An excellent athlete that has good B-Ball skills that I hope translates to a O tackle position.
I have high hopes that he'll turn out to be an anchor on the Jets rebuilt OL. My only reservation is that he wants to play LT and I think that belongs to Becton and I hope Fant can make the transition to RT.
I have high hopes for him as well. Seattle would've brought him back if they could afford him, he was being groomed to be their future LT but Brown is still playing at a pro bowl level. I don't think people realize how talented he is. Going from basketball to OL is not easy, just putting on the weight and adjusting to it takes time. He has the playing experience of a redshirt college senior at the position, yet he's out there handling stud NFL edge rushers on the regular

JD had shown to be frugal with his money so he must be really high on Fant. Camp will be interesting. I think he's going to surprise a lot of folks this year at LT. If Mekhi can beat him out, great, but it's not gimmie. He'll have to earn it.
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RobR said:

If you're going to keep trashing Becton, at the very least learn how to spell his last name. It's a mere six letters and could possibly sway people to believe what you are writing.....possibly. When you can't get his name correct over a month after we drafted him no one can or should take your posts seriously. 

It’s very sad when your best/only argument, on an internet message board, is to be the spelling police.  

Honestly, I feel bad for you.   

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I do really appreciate your optimism.  After all these years of disappointment I’ve become more or a realistic.  Sure, he can figure it out in year 5 or and far and away more likely, he will be a bad OT - that is almost certainly a downgrade to shell.  

Nothing about Fants play a year ago says he will likely be bad if hes not a stalwart at T or downgrade for Shell.  An injured scrub isnt setting the bar high though

7th round draft pick and #11 overall is a big difference.  All I’m saying is expectations are waaaay too high for this kid right now.  I’m not saying he’ll be worse than Beachum - I think he’ll be better...but expectations are everything.  He’s going to have games where he’s getting beat regularly and this fan base has very little patience.

That’s why it would be reasonable for Becton to start day 1 at RT. Gives the kid Less exposure, gains experience and doesn’t crush his self confidence. If he excels and Fant struggles have them shift positions. I think JD will give Fant an opportunity to succeed. If he plays LT well that is a big trading chip to have if Becton also shines. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It’s very sad when your best/only argument, on an internet message board, is to be the spelling police.  

Honestly, I feel bad for you.   

In fairness, Rob has written a number of good posts especially about the offensive line prospects. I think that you are a little butt hurt that he called you out.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He lost out on Conklin, knew he needed a Tackle - panicked and over promised and over paid for Fant..  it was a rookie mistake.  Hope he learned from it.

Because that same money could have been paid elsewhere.

So he "lost out," on paying a rather pedestrian Jack Conklin $30M guaranteed and "panicked," but the $10M he paid Fant is money he could've spent elsewhere? 

I'm really not thinking there was any panic involved. No more than when he lost out on Robby Anderson and signed Perriman ten seconds later. He wanted Conklin first, but on his terms, and all that money wasn't part of his plan. So he pivoted and signed Fant. 

Jets needed help on the OL, where else was that help going to come from? I get that they took a flier on Fant, but there weren't a lot of OL options in free agency this year. If he works out, he's a cheap OT for the next three years. If he doesn't work out, he'll backup this year and be gone the next. A little costly, sure, but the Jets still have $14M in cap space. It's not like the Fant contract priced them out of anyone, and if he sucks he won't have any effect on who they sign next year, either. 

Like the WR position, I think the OL is a place where the Jets will be focused on other team cuts, especially if anyone is struggling. And Peters is still out there wanting to play, too. We'll see how it plays out. 

• Upvote 3

JD has been on point with almost all his signing. We’ve had more contracts signed where the fanbase was like “that’s it” then the other way around. GVR and Jenkins were the two that drew the most praise.

Along the OL, he overpaid for Fant, got a bargain in GVR, and probably paid fair market for Lewis McGovern.

In hindsight, the best value at OT they could have gotten is Peters (assuming he’s signs for around $10M).

The options were:

Conklin: $14 per with $30M gtd

Bulaga: $10 per with $19M gtd

Fant: $10 per with $9M gtd

Peters: TBD

Trent: 3rd (2021) and 5th. Contract details should be out soon.

• Upvote 1

This isn’t a rookie or second year guy.  He’s a fifth year player that has been nothing but a back-up and a back-up on a sh—ty line.

How often do 5th year guys that have mostly sucked their entire career become good?  I can’t recall it ever happening.  

Let me introduce you to Brashad Perriman.

Yeah I do.

It really takes a lot of hubris to take your position and attitude. Youre not questioning or concerned  how well Fant will do, youre already sure he will be a flop!   You clearly think you know way more than our GM who has played offensive line in college and been scouting and working front office in the NFL for many years.  And who works with multiple other people with extensive scouting and front office experience.

How do you come by your superior knowledge?   Did you play football at a high level?   Are you engaged as a talent scout by an NFL team?  How are you so much smarter than all these professionals?   Did you have Fant on your Madden team?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

It really takes a lot of hubris to take your position and attitude. Youre not questioning or concerned  how well Fant will do, youre already sure he will be a flop!   You clearly think you know way more than our GM who has played offensive line in college and been scouting and working front office in the NFL for many years.  And who works with multiple other people with extensive scouting and front office experience.

How do you come by your superior knowledge?   Did you play football at a high level?   Are you engaged as a talent scout by an NFL team?  How are you so much smarter than all these professionals?   Did you have Fant on your Madden team?

4 years of performance tells me he isn’t good.  This wasn’t a guy that had some good seasons and a couple of bad ones - he was a bottom tier offensive lineman. I’m not sure how anyone sees it otherwise.

The - He’s NFL scout/GM and you’re not so they’re right, is such a tired argument.  We know NFL GM’s are wrong all time - especially NJ Jets.  In fact you could look to just last year about our current GM and his offensive line FA prowess to disprove his genius.  

You’re actually smarter than that argument.   Wouldn’t expect that from you.

1 hour ago, slats said:

So he "lost out," on paying a rather pedestrian Jack Conklin $30M guaranteed 

This is exactly correct. 

He needed to over pay if he had to to get Conklin - Sam needed to be protected.  Taking a “flyer” at LT simply shouldn’t have been an option. 

5 hours ago, tdoublee said:

I have high hopes for him as well. Seattle would've brought him back if they could afford him, he was being groomed to be their future LT but Brown is still playing at a pro bowl level. I don't think people realize how talented he is. Going from basketball to OL is not easy, just putting on the weight and adjusting to it takes time. He has the playing experience of a redshirt college senior at the position, yet he's out there handling stud NFL edge rushers on the regular

JD had shown to be frugal with his money so he must be really high on Fant. Camp will be interesting. I think he's going to surprise a lot of folks this year at LT. If Mekhi can beat him out, great, but it's not gimmie. He'll have to earn it.

I hated the Fant signing at first but I think there is a lot of upside with him.  He is also VERY far from overpaid.  Its essentially a 1 year $10 million deal, that isnt overpaying for a starting OT who "could" be very good.  Sure we could have resigned Brandon Shell, but there is zero chance Shell becomes a better player then what he is today.  Thats not the case with Fant, especially since he will be moving to a more zone based system which should suit him better.  

I do think the LT/RT thing with him will be big, and I think its best if he stays on the right side and we just let Becton learn one position rather then having to switch.  Putting Fant on the right side, next to a veteran like Van Roten, should also help him. 

OL is a sum of the parts and Fant playing with GVR and McGovern is a pretty big upgrade from Seattle's interior OL, which again "should" put him in a good position to succeed.  If he doesnt, we will have $10 million to spend on a RT in 2021 Free Agency

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The - He’s NFL scout/GM and you’re not so they’re right, is such a tired argument.  We know NFL GM’s are wrong all time - especially NJ Jets.  In fact you could look to just last year about our current GM and his offensive line FA prowess to disprove his genius.  

So Ryan Kalil means Joe Douglas sucks now? 

That was a desperation move. The guy took over after free agency and the draft, and knew immediately that the OL was terrible. He took a swing and missed. I don't see how anyone faults him there. 

What were your moves to fix the offensive line last year or this? 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is exactly correct. 

He needed to over pay if he had to to get Conklin - Sam needed to be protected.  Taking a “flyer” at LT simply shouldn’t have been an option. 

Meh. What's exactly correct is that Conklin is pedestrian, and I'd rather not be tied to him for two years, $30M guaranteed to play RT. Fant, at the very least, gives the Jets an option other than Becton at LT. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

So Ryan Kalil means Joe Douglas sucks now? 

That was a desperation move. The guy took over after free agency and the draft, and knew immediately that the OL was terrible. He took a swing and missed. I don't see how anyone faults him there. 

What were your moves to fix the offensive line last year or this? 

Of course not.  But it does mean he’s not infallible.  

I was being told that JD can’t make a mistake because he played OL in college and is a professional GM.  

Btw...The Fant signing was a desperation move too.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I was being told that JD can’t make a mistake because he played OL in college and is a professional GM.

No you weren't. 

People feel pretty good about JD right now and rightly so, but no one's saying he's infallible. 

And I still don't see what your brilliant OL solutions would've been last year. Just a lot of complaints. 

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

...and this fan base has very little patience.

And while we're chatting, I just have to say that this little gem -coming from you of all people- was really quite hilarious. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1