Jump to content
Wonderboy

Assault on Precinct 3

Recommended Posts

There are now 2 viruses spreading through America.  Stuff like this hasn't happened since the early - mid 60's. Was just a kid back then and obviously couldn't understand the full impact of the social changes during that era but it of course left a lasting impression on me.  Unfortunately, stuff like this happens until there are concrete changes made.  Life cycles.  Part II.  Hopefully we can reach a compromise and stop this madness and something good comes of all this.  There is always opportunity to be better in the face of failure.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you follow history at all, these riots were inevitable. It is time for white people to shut up and listen. For once. 
 

I do hope we can have a respectful discussion about this. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PS17 said:

If you follow history at all, these riots were inevitable. It is time for white people to shut up and listen. For once. 
 

I do hope we can have a respectful discussion about this. 

over / under is 10 posts

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PS17 said:

If you follow history at all, these riots were inevitable. It is time for white people to shut up and listen. For once. 
 

I do hope we can have a respectful discussion about this. 

I agree 100%.  Unfortunately civil protests don’t do jack sheet.  If you noticed, it wasn’t until the protests got violent there was a charge imposed.  This has been a long lasting cultural war forever. There’s only so much anyone can take before the cork pops. And it doesn’t appear it’s going to just go away anytime soon. Something has to change or this will get very very ugly. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

over / under is 10 posts

Yea let’s just sweep it under the carpet like everything else. Obviously it’s an extremely sensitive, cultural issue but isn’t everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

over / under is 10 posts

You know, this is maybe the most important news week in a decade, maybe longer. That this website is incapable of having a respectful, intelligent discourse about anything meaningful is sad.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

NO Yea let’s just sweep it under the carpet like everything else. YES Obviously it’s an extremely sensitive, cultural issue NO but isn’t everything.

 

  • Thumb Down 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

You know, this is maybe the most important news week in a decade, maybe longer. That this website is incapable of having a respectful, intelligent discourse about anything meaningful is sad.

Of course the topic is important but you have been here long enough to know that this website considers these topics off limits. There are plenty of places to have these discussions. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, PS17 said:

If you follow history at all, these riots were inevitable. It is time for white people to shut up and listen. For once. 
 

I do hope we can have a respectful discussion about this. 

Wut? You new here? 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PS17 said:

You know, this is maybe the most important news week in a decade, maybe longer. That this website is incapable of having a respectful, intelligent discourse about anything meaningful is sad.

The website? Really? It’s the posters. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Crusher said:

The website? Really? It’s the posters. 

The posters make the website. Semantics. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Of course the topic is important but you have been here long enough to know that this website considers these topics off limits. There are plenty of places to have these discussions. 

It’s not the topics we consider off limits. It’s the Posters responses to the topics.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s not the topics we consider off limits. It’s the Posters responses to the topics.

Wow........... for years I honestly thought anything remotely political was taboo on JN. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Wow........... for years I honestly thought anything remotely political was taboo on JN. 

It is because of the response it produces. Never fails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The posters make the website. Semantics. 

Agreed. But they way the react to politics here makes it impossible to discuss it. Semantics 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add Birding to the list.

It’s sad that it took camera phones for awareness to be raised about things that a certain segment of humans have had to deal with forever.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Wow........... for years I honestly thought anything remotely political was taboo on JN. 

Cultural norms are expressions of human behavior. When they get transgressed, as they have, the sheet eventually hits the fan.. Yet, people keep avoiding the issue and suppressing the truth.  If societal norms didn't evolve, baseball and all major sports would still be only played by whites.  Cultural change goes hand in hand with equality.  Civil rights is the glue that makes all things possible in this country and what makes it great. Period.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Cultural norms are expressions of human behavior. When they get transgressed, as they have, the sheet eventually hits the fan.. Yet, people keep avoiding the issue and suppressing the truth.  If societal norms didn't evolve, baseball and all major sports would still be only played by whites.  Cultural change goes hand in hand with equality.  Civil rights is the glue that makes all things possible in this country and what makes it great. Period.

Your response to my comment (while well stated & correct) is incongruous to what I said to Crusher.

Appreciate the civics lesson but as a person in a mixed race marriage for over 30 years I can speak volumes on my personal experiences regarding prejudice and inequality that would make any reasonable fair minded individual person feel sick

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Your response to my comment (while well stated & correct) is incongruous to what I said to Crusher.

Appreciate the civics lesson but as a person in a mixed race marriage for over 30 years I can speak volumes on my personal experiences regarding prejudice and inequality that would make any reasonable fair minded individual person feel sick

Obviously it's a  fine line between culture and politics.  Damn near impossible to be politically correct which seems to be the devil's doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Obviously it's a  fine line between culture and politics.  Damn near impossible to be politically correct which seems to be the devil's doing.

Social justice, culture, politics, ignorance, agendas. Can you have an honest discussion and not include all ?

Good luck with it. Its an exercise in futility to take it further on a website not geared for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

There are now 2 viruses spreading through America.  Stuff like this hasn't happened since the early - mid 60's. Was just a kid back then and obviously couldn't understand the full impact of the social changes during that era but it of course left a lasting impression on me.  Unfortunately, stuff like this happens until there are concrete changes made.  Life cycles.  Part II.  Hopefully we can reach a compromise and stop this madness and something good comes of all this.  There is always opportunity to be better in the face of failure.

What ? !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Social justice, culture, politics, ignorance, agendas. Can you have an honest discussion and not include all ?

Good luck with it. Its an exercise in futility to take it further on a website not geared for it.

This is a sports website. Granted.  So you're telling me we cant discuss equality here? Branch Rickey would be rolling over in his grave.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

What ? !!!

Not like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It’s not the topics we consider off limits. It’s the Posters responses to the topics.

This. There can/should be constructive discussion about race, but unfortunately, people always lump race into politics and then the lid comes off. It's kind of pathetic, but a symptom of the problem. Sorta meta.

I mean, I got banned for talking about my own race. I didn't even get political. I just said something provocative and mostly true, it elicited some crappy replies... and I got banned. Is what it is. There's plenty other places to discuss this stuff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This. There can/should be constructive discussion about race, but unfortunately, people always lump race into politics and then the lid comes off. It's kind of pathetic, but a symptom of the problem. Sorta meta.

I mean, I got banned for talking about my own race. I didn't even get political. I just said something provocative and mostly true, it elicited some crappy replies... and I got banned. Is what it is. There's plenty other places to discuss this stuff.

 

A0B6D025-E11A-4DCC-AF4C-35A3A47DEC9F.gif

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Not like this.

I would certainly put Rodney King, and what got exposed in the OJ trial, in that category from a historical perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bottom line:

The human race is a failed experiment.  Greed, envy, lust, pride, wrath , envy, etc, are indelible components of our makeup. They will never be removable from this diseased society. It will prove to be the death of us all. 

Be righteous, be above it all, be hopeful, be polyannish, convince yourself that this can all be erased. You are fooling yourself as doom looms large and inevitable, Kneel all you want. Start protests that just turn into looting. We all are just insects swarming towards the insecticide that nature will provide for our extermination.  

Dinosaurs? nah. Humans? no way. 

Good luck cockaroaches. 

 

EDIT: just to add. 

Want to see the future? Rent Clockwork Orange and see who end up becoming the policemen of our near future. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

bottom line:

The human race is a failed experiment.  Greed, envy, lust, pride, wrath , envy, etc, are indelible components of our makeup. They will never be removable from this diseased society. It will prove to be the death of us all. 

Be righteous, be above it all, be hopeful, be polyannish, convince yourself that this can all be erased. You are fooling yourself as doom looms large and inevitable, Kneel all you want. Start protests that just turn into looting. We all are just insects swarming towards the insecticide that nature will provide for our extermination.  

Dinosaurs? nah. Humans? no way. 

Good luck cockaroaches. 

 

J!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

To me, the fringes have always been the problem.  That small percentage of bad apples that destroy the reputations and confidence we have in the others.

I won't debate the percentages but the vast majority of cops are good, fair people out trying to do the right thing and putting their lives on the line to protect the community.  But x% are bad apples and a percentage of those are horrible apples (criminals themselves).  It's like any walk of life....a certain percentage are just bad.

I'm tired of that old line/excuse.  Even if everything you say above is true....

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

 

If there are 10 bad cops, and 1,000 "good cops" don't do anything about them, then there are 1,010 bad cops.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm tired of that old line/excuse.  Even if everything you say above is true....

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

 

If there are 10 bad cops, and 1,000 "good cops" don't do anything about them, then there are 1,010 bad cops.  

No doubt that those who stand by and do nothing are part of the problem.  But watching a black cop in LA get spit on during a protest because a cop 1,500 miles away murdered someone doesn't really sit well with me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff like this hasn't happened since the 60's

There were mass protests in other cities after Ferguson (which is like the "riots" in Minny)

There were other mass protests over police brutality incidents in the years between then and now

It's been quiet for about 2 or 3 years

But it's hardly "since the 60's"

LA in the 90's anyone? 

And so on

I'm not going to even remote try to approach the discussion. Just that it's not "since the 60's"

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...