Wonderboy

Assault on Precinct 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm tired of that old line/excuse.  Even if everything you say above is true....

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

If there are 10 bad cops, and 1,000 "good cops" don't do anything about them, then there are 1,010 bad cops.  

No doubt that those who stand by and do nothing are part of the problem.  But watching a black cop in LA get spit on during a protest because a cop 1,500 miles away murdered someone doesn't really sit well with me.

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sorry that cop is having a rough day.  The LAPD has certainly done nothing wrong over the years.  There are folks out there who are actually peacefully protesting, not rioting, but are getting shot with rubber pellets and hit with batons.  But who cares about them, right?  

He'll get over it.  Today, my sympathies rest with the people of color who have been getting killed in the streets for centuries.  It still amazes me how many people immediately want to defend the cops when this happens again and again.  Not one word in your last 2 posts considered the victim, his family, his community, or people of color across the country who are ALL hurting right now.  

Riots aren't a great idea or a great way to get the message across, but I get it.  Peaceful protest certainly doesn't seem to work.  For now....let it burn.

Are you kidding me?  His community, the place where his family lives and people of color are EXACTLY the ones being hurt by both racist cops and now riots.  I'm not going to justify your intimation that I don't care about the victim (and he's not the only one btw) by searching this thread for your condolences to his family.  This isn't about comparatives.  It's about the fact that yet another black man is dead and now the communities that are mostly being torched tonight are downtown areas where a significant number of the businesses are owned, operated or worked by minorities.  My message was a simple one.  A small percentage of a group is casting a cloud on the entirety.  And, the LAPD has been a sh*tshow for decades.  Believe, I've seen it first hand.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Black cops are complicit for what happens to their civilian brothers and sisters across the country too.  They don't get a pass.  

And yes, Black-owned businesses are getting hurt by the riots too, but several of them have spoken out in SUPPORT of the riots, saying that property is just property, and this is bigger than material possessions.  

I'm seeing lots of support for protests and the prosecution of the officers involved.  In fact, it seemed to be one of the few recent instances where our political leaders were in unison about how wrong the officers were.  I'm not seeing people say that looting and burning buildings down is a good idea.  In fact, I'm seeing the opposite.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/31/protester-calls-out-looting-follow-death-of-george-floyd-sot-vpx.cnn

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course its a bad idea, and I said as much in my earlier post.  The biggest problem, of course, is it welcomes in a large number of people who don't care about the issue at hand and are taking advantage of the situation.

But again, peaceful protest doesn't work either.  And many peaceful protesters in LA are being told to disperse because their assembly is "not legal assembly" or some verbiage like that.  I'm no lawyer or expert of the US Constitution, but that doesn't sound right to me.

I'm not sure if it's right or legal either, but these cities have been telling people they're not allowed outside or to gather in groups for the past 3 months because of a virus.  Civil liberties are being squashed all over the place.  And now, it looks like if mayors and governors didn't do a good enough job destroying small businesses by shutting them down since March the rioters are going to finish the job.  America is a train wreck right now.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company