Assault on Precinct 3

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

No doubt that those who stand by and do nothing are part of the problem.  But watching a black cop in LA get spit on during a protest because a cop 1,500 miles away murdered someone doesn't really sit well with me.

I'm sorry that cop is having a rough day.  The LAPD has certainly done nothing wrong over the years.  There are folks out there who are actually peacefully protesting, not rioting, but are getting shot with rubber pellets and hit with batons.  But who cares about them, right?  

He'll get over it.  Today, my sympathies rest with the people of color who have been getting killed in the streets for centuries.  It still amazes me how many people immediately want to defend the cops when this happens again and again.  Not one word in your last 2 posts considered the victim, his family, his community, or people of color across the country who are ALL hurting right now.  

Riots aren't a great idea or a great way to get the message across, but I get it.  Peaceful protest certainly doesn't seem to work.  For now....let it burn.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sorry that cop is having a rough day.  The LAPD has certainly done nothing wrong over the years.  There are folks out there who are actually peacefully protesting, not rioting, but are getting shot with rubber pellets and hit with batons.  But who cares about them, right?  

He'll get over it.  Today, my sympathies rest with the people of color who have been getting killed in the streets for centuries.  It still amazes me how many people immediately want to defend the cops when this happens again and again.  Not one word in your last 2 posts considered the victim, his family, his community, or people of color across the country who are ALL hurting right now.  

Riots aren't a great idea or a great way to get the message across, but I get it.  Peaceful protest certainly doesn't seem to work.  For now....let it burn.

Are you kidding me?  His community, the place where his family lives and people of color are EXACTLY the ones being hurt by both racist cops and now riots.  I'm not going to justify your intimation that I don't care about the victim (and he's not the only one btw) by searching this thread for your condolences to his family.  This isn't about comparatives.  It's about the fact that yet another black man is dead and now the communities that are mostly being torched tonight are downtown areas where a significant number of the businesses are owned, operated or worked by minorities.  My message was a simple one.  A small percentage of a group is casting a cloud on the entirety.  And, the LAPD has been a sh*tshow for decades.  Believe, I've seen it first hand.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Are you kidding me?  His community, the place where his family lives and people of color are EXACTLY the ones being hurt by both racist cops and now riots.  I'm not going to justify your intimation that I don't care about the victim (and he's not the only one btw) by searching this thread for your condolences to his family.  This isn't about comparatives.  It's about the fact that yet another black man is dead and now the communities that are mostly being torched tonight are downtown areas where a significant number of the businesses are owned, operated or worked by minorities.  My message was a simple one.  A small percentage of a group is cast a cloud on the entirety.  And, the LAPD has been a sh*tshow for decades.  Believe, I've seen it first hand.

Black cops are complicit for what happens to their civilian brothers and sisters across the country too.  They don't get a pass.  He chose to wear the badge like every other police officer.  

And yes, Black-owned businesses are getting hurt by the riots too, but several of them have spoken out in SUPPORT of the riots, saying that property is just property, and this is bigger than material possessions.  

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Black cops are complicit for what happens to their civilian brothers and sisters across the country too.  They don't get a pass.  

And yes, Black-owned businesses are getting hurt by the riots too, but several of them have spoken out in SUPPORT of the riots, saying that property is just property, and this is bigger than material possessions.  

I'm seeing lots of support for protests and the prosecution of the officers involved.  In fact, it seemed to be one of the few recent instances where our political leaders were in unison about how wrong the officers were.  I'm not seeing people say that looting and burning buildings down is a good idea.  In fact, I'm seeing the opposite.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/31/protester-calls-out-looting-follow-death-of-george-floyd-sot-vpx.cnn

Just now, jetstream23 said:

I'm seeing lots of support for protests and the prosecution of the officers involved.  In fact, it seemed to be one of the few recent instances where our political leaders were in unison about how wrong this was.  I'm not seeing people say that looting and burning buildings down is a good idea.  In fact, I'm seeing the opposite.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/31/protester-calls-out-looting-follow-death-of-george-floyd-sot-vpx.cnn

Of course its a bad idea, and I said as much in my earlier post.  The biggest problem, of course, is it welcomes in a large number of people who don't care about the issue at hand and are taking advantage of the situation.

But again, peaceful protest doesn't work either.  And many peaceful protesters in LA are being told to disperse because their assembly is "not legal assembly" or some verbiage like that.  I'm no lawyer or expert of the US Constitution, but that doesn't sound right to me.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course its a bad idea, and I said as much in my earlier post.  The biggest problem, of course, is it welcomes in a large number of people who don't care about the issue at hand and are taking advantage of the situation.

But again, peaceful protest doesn't work either.  And many peaceful protesters in LA are being told to disperse because their assembly is "not legal assembly" or some verbiage like that.  I'm no lawyer or expert of the US Constitution, but that doesn't sound right to me.

I'm not sure if it's right or legal either, but these cities have been telling people they're not allowed outside or to gather in groups for the past 3 months because of a virus.  Civil liberties are being squashed all over the place.  And now, it looks like if mayors and governors didn't do a good enough job destroying small businesses by shutting them down since March the rioters are going to finish the job.  America is a train wreck right now.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would certainly put Rodney King, and what got exposed in the OJ trial, in that category from a historical perspective. 

Salt Lake City had riots over Rodney King?  More like they had green jello. 

46 minutes ago, DLJ said:

America is extremely lucky that all black people want is equality as opposed to revenge.

The country is quickly devolving into a sh*t show. Major cities are on fire, looting, weeping and the gnashing of teeth. It’s going to get worse and people are going to start dying if this continues.

It's not just blacks. I'm Hispanic and have struggled for years because of the inequality in this country. And numerous other cultures have suffered the same fate. Heck a huge majority of whites are poor and on welfare in this country.  It's a twisted system of inequality and power.  10% own 90% of the wealth leaving 10% of the wealth to be divided by 90% of the rest of the population.  It's practically impossible to save money nowadays.  It's just an incredibly unbalanced social platform.  This is a cultural war of the haves and have nots.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, PS17 said:

If you follow history at all, these riots were inevitable. It is time for white people to shut up and listen. For once. 

I do hope we can have a respectful discussion about this. 

How do you have a respectful discussion after you've been told to shut up and just listen?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This. There can/should be constructive discussion about race, but unfortunately, people always lump race into politics and then the lid comes off. It's kind of pathetic, but a symptom of the problem. Sorta meta.

It's not pathetic.  It's entirely normal. 

You simply cannot separate issues of race, culture, ethnicity, history, justice, economics and social systems from politics. 

There are fundamentally, and deeply, entwined and linked.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How do you have a respectful discussion after you've been told to shut up and just listen?

Saw that blatant contradiction as well and just had to SMH.

”Shut up and talk”!!!

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not pathetic.  It's entirely normal. 

You simply cannot separate issues of race, culture, ethnicity, history, justice, economics and social systems from politics. 

There are fundamentally, and deeply, entwined and linked.

We’ll agree to disagree.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We’ll agree to disagree.

Agreed, but no offense intended, your agreement isn't really needed on this one. 

Same way no one would need my agreement to prove the laws of thermodynamics.

This thread, like every other thread, will end the same way for the same reasons.  Which is why I will partake no further.

I hope everyone stays safe.

• Upvote 2

If the 4 involved subjects in the incident were publicly executed at noon tomorrow, it still wouldn't be enough for the rioters, agitators, race-hustlers, media, and assorted agenda drivers responsible for the disturbances. 

They were arrested. They have been charged.  They will be tried. Hopefully they will be prosecuted and punished to the full extent of the law. Hopefully the riots and constant media coverage wont taint the process and cause a denial of due process and a mistrial. People are murdered every day. We have a process for it. Burning down cities and spitting on uninvolved people thousands of miles a day does nothing but create MORE hate.

We've had FIRE TRUCKS shot at. Wicked Smart. All that does is makes us slow our response, stage for PD, and only go to certain areas after they get cleared....by PD. Then, WE will get blamed when someone's grandma dies of Cardiac Arrest because care was delayed. And then the cycle will repeat. 

Whatever. What do I know? I'm white. I just need to shut up and be lectured to. 

• Thumb Down 3

20 hours ago, PS17 said:

If you follow history at all, these riots were inevitable. It is time for white people to shut up and listen. For once. 

I do hope we can have a respectful discussion about this. 

Telling white people to shut up is an excellent way to start a respectful discussion.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

When civility leads to death, revolting is the only logical reaction.

The cries for peace will rain down, and when they do, they will land on deaf ears, because your violence has brought this resistance.

We have the right to fight back!

Rest in Power George Floyd

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

When civility leads to death, revolting is the only logical reaction.

The cries for peace will rain down, and when they do, they will land on deaf ears, because your violence has brought this resistance.

We have the right to fight back!

Rest in Power George Floyd

They were arrested. They have been charged.  They will be tried. Hopefully they will be prosecuted and punished to the full extent of the law. Hopefully the riots and constant media coverage wont taint the process and cause a denial of due process and a mistrial. People are murdered every day. We have a process for it. Burning down cities and spitting on uninvolved people thousands of miles a day does nothing but create MORE hate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

I really need to get this off my chest:

Self-proclaimed white liberals REALLY piss me off.

'White liberals' don't give a sh*t about black people. They constantly speak on their behalf and co-opt their cause for votes. Their concern is phony and self-serving. If they truly cared about black 'empowerment', they would allow blacks to form their own independent black-led political party and represent themselves.

Ultimately, the democratic party is interested in little more than mobilizing the 'black vote', and they do so by speaking aimlessly about racism while denying the same black people their autonomy. White liberals are shameless, conniving opportunists.

Black people - or americans of african descent - are permanently condemned to life as second class citizens in a country defined by a skin color-based caste system. That is what America has always been, and always will be.

Having lived in Long island, NYC and NJ, i have come across far too many white liberals thinking of themselves as 'saviours'. They refuse to send their kids to the same schools, refuse to live in 'sketchy neighborhoods', refuse to hire 'unqualified candidates' while retaining a clear conscience because they convinced themselves that they aren't racist. They are the last of the puritans.

As long as this country continues to categorize human beings as 'white', 'black', 'asian' and whatever else, we will always have social segregation. America was never formally de-segregated, and it never will be.

At times, i wonder whether America is even a nation. To me, America is more of an economic zone - created for the enrichment of a handful of corporations. American 'nationhood' doesn't actually exist. Our freedom (from government) shouldn't delude us into thinking otherwise, and this tug of war between white tribalists - 'claiming' and defining American-ness for their own political ends - is a waste of time.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Bro, due process?   Ask Rodney King and Latisha Harlins how that worked out.  Do you want me to get into statistics?  lmfao.  Even the peaceful protesters are being attacked.  

250 years of this sh*t and you think due process and a chit chat is going to solve it?  

Look, I'm not condoning it, like Killer Mike said, dont burn down your home in anger with the enemy but nobody should sit here and act surprised.  This is a country built off fighting conflict with extreme power and revolutions, oh and racism.  It's a learned behavior of it's citizens.

I'm going to politely bow out of this because my heart is filled with sorrow and rage right now and this isnt a healthy conversation.

Ignorance is bliss.

Peace and love. 

More I think about it this is probably the best approach for all of us here. Honestly.