Sign in to follow this  
Vader

Bell as WR / Bell and Gore Personnel Groupings Together

Back seat OCs opinions. Curious how to interpret two all-time great pass catching RBs and potential on the field together. 

How to take advantage of a defense whether it’s in base (and/or wants to stack the box) or in nickel, with the same (essentially) offensive personnel grouping that can flex Bell and Gore in and out of the backfield while maintaining 2 WR and 1 TE at least or some variation thereof.

a DC wants to come out in nickel? Flex the formation to run. Want to come out in base and put a LB or CB on Bell split out, with Gore facing a non-stacked box? I’ll take it. 

Bell’s go-tos in Pitt were the counter with TE/Wing pulling, and various zone scheme runs out of a one back set. 

But Another really interesting possibility is Bell’s capacity not just in the receiving game out of the backfield, but as a WR.

He is a matchup problem for LBs and Safeties and a challenge even for CBs — he can run WR routes and has blueberry muffin hands. At 6’1” 225, he’s bigger than most corners.

Bell on the field with Frank Gore at the same time could be interesting — with both as options in either the run or pass game or screen game, and shifting to the defense’s weakness. Even though Gore hasn’t been getting the 30-50 receptions per year that he used to, he has almost 4000 yards receiving in his career.

Creative offensive scheming could create real matchup problems for defenses and potentially havoc for opposing LBs and defensive coordinators who will have a hard time adjusting with personnel groupings and responsibilities.

It could be something that there’s no film to study for.

Think of lining Gore in the slot, and Bell in the backfield, or Bell out wide, and Gore in the backfield, and then running a play or shifting to something else. Playaction could be sick here...

for example:

mims-JC-T-G-C-G-T gore —perriman
———————-QB——————————

—————-——Bell—————————

Bell-JC-T-G-C-G-T Herndon-mims
———————-QB——————————

—————-——Gore—————————

mims—JC-T-G-C-G-T Herndon/block TE
——————-QB——————————

—————Bell—Gore————————

mims-Gore-T-G-C-G-T JC perriman 
———————-QB——————————

—————-——Bell—————————

mims-bell-T-G-C-G-T JC perriman 
———————-QB——————————

—————-——Gore—————————

————JC-T-G-C-G-T perriman -mims 
————Gore—-QB————————-

—————-——Bell—————————

thoughts?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 82nd Airborne said:

We talking about Gase now. 

We are. book is not closed on gase. I mean I have a bit of background in football strategy and it isn’t hard to see the potential w these two...

also seeing Gase bring Gore in here specifically and Gore coming in to NY just for gase... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I remember having similar discussions about the use of Bell and Montgomery together last year. None of it ever happened.

Interesting. I think gore is miles better than Montgomery and more accustomed to gase though. Different OL now too — and addition of Herndon 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

If Gase is going to run the ball up the middle every second when there’s 8 guys in the box he might as well but a real FB to at least block for Bell. 

Bell runs out of a one back set... 

4 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Maybe we can put Bell Gore and Perrine all in the backfield at the same time - that would really confuse the defense. We can play hide the ball. Or maybe pass it to "Blueberry Muffin Hands". lol.  Creative post so please can I have some of what u were smoking?

Or....maybe not 

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

I have Directv Sunday Ticket and have recorded every Dolphins game for >15 years, because I hate them and want to watch them lose. It makes me feel a little bit better after watching the Jets 

Hardcore bro. That is hardcore.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Nice job, the skill set of both bell and gore present a lot of options for a 21 personnel package, more so in the pass game against a more traditional base defense to support against a run game.  It puts defenses in a bind when deciding what personnel they want to match when you can spread in 21 personnel just as easy as contract.  

The only point here is that it is slightly limiting as a 2 back run game as gore and bell would not be as effective lined up as a fullback and taking on kick out blocks or lead blocks in zone. So this package can be very effective with the intent to pass first and check to a run if the defense comes out in nickle and empties the box. 

Right now if you want a good example of how to do this at the highest level, and by "do this" i mean run 21 personnel equally as a pass or run with everything looking the same, look at the 49ers. Kyle Juszczyk is the ultimate run/pass option weapon for 21 peronnel, he can make all the blocks as a fullback, is able to run almost any route you'd want from the backfield or out wide while also having very good hands, and is good in pass pro. 

So while with gore we are certainly positioned well for 20 and 21 personnel packages now with what gore brings to the table I do think we are still a little limited in terms of unlocking the potential of these groupings that other nfl teams can bring to the table now. 

This is great thx @Chrebetfan80

it’s exactly what I mean but I hear u on jusczyk issue . I don’t think the RBs should ever be (super rarely) lined up in any kind of traditional FB-HB formation but rather to force a defense to contract or open up. Opening up a base defense by splitting Bell out gives Gore one less LB to deal with on run, and if a DC swings a LB out to cover Bell, that’s also a favorable matchup. If the DC wants to run a nickel, bring Bell in and let him run it vs a small front 7. Or, you have Gore that can take any kind of screen/flat/fade from the slot.

8 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Bell @ WR is so overblown that it's almost funnier than it is sad...

he does have good hands...   but he's not match up problem cos he would be one of the the slowest WR in the league...    

I hear u on speed but Speed is overrated — besides, we have burners at SE already and Herndon also can put vertical pressure.

Bell has great hands and can make incredible catches as we saw last year. He has WR instincts in zone coverage and he runs good routes with good twitch.

He can get open. His hands and feet do the rest 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Did he make more than ONE really good catch? The one vs Oaktown was great. But isolated. 

Off the top of my head buffalo too. 

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company