Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I was thinking of being able to dump the player ASAP with less of a cap hit as in the typical case. 

Sorry, no.  

At least contracts are (generally) not guaranteed, like MLB, where a clunker lives on and kills the team in every way.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sorry, no.  

At least contracts are (generally) not guaranteed, like MLB, where a clunker lives on and kills the team in every way.

It’s tough because some teams  would figure out a way to misuse it, Cough, cough .. patrio....

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They do, it's called a Pink Slip for the GM.

At the time Macc signed him he was the best CB on the FA market. I thought under Greg Williams he'd flourish but I guess not.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, extmenace said:

 

They do, its called being cut. Because of the trumane johnson, albert hansworths, and the nnomdi asougha's of the NFL, the fully gaurenteed contracts will never be a thing. Most GM's have the contracts set to where free agent signings can be cut around half way through their contracts. With that being said, the johnson signing might have been the worst contract I have ever seen this team dish out.

Good answer. Thanks. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

30 days until Bobby Bonilla day!

 

Just now, neckdemon said:

lol.....how funny is it that they pay this guy 1 mil/year???? fred wilpon is an idiot

LOL It's crazy beyond belief, especially when you remember THE METS WENT TO HIM to renegotiate his original deal to this one, because it made more sense financially.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bears, Falcons, Jets, and Rams will gain additional cap space starting Tuesday, as Field Yates of ESPN.com (on Twitter) notes. The extra flexibility comes from the following releases that have been designated as post-June 1 cuts: 

Players released after June 1 can have their remaining cap charge spread out across two seasons, rather than one. These four players were released earlier this year, but designated as post-June 1 cuts to smooth out the dead money.

For these teams, a chunk of this money will go towards funding the incoming rookie class. However, there will still be some room left over for summer upgrades, thanks to the top-51 rule. In the case of the Falcons, they’ll have about $8.25MM to spend, as Kevin Knight of The Falcoholic notes.

The additional space could jumpstart talks for June’s best remaining free agents, a group that includes defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, cornerback Logan Ryan, and guard Larry Warford. The Jets probably won’t go for Clowney, but they’ve shown serious interest in Ryan and Warford would make some sense for them if they want to upgrade over Brian Winters.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

At the time Macc signed him he was the best CB on the FA market. I thought under Greg Williams he'd flourish but I guess not.

That’s what most of the board thought as well, but we all have the benefit of hindsight…

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, neckdemon said:

lol.....how funny is it that they pay this guy 1 mil/year???? fred wilpon is an idiot

Everyone kills them for this deal but the Mets made out like bandits differing the payment over years.  

Bonilla was the idiot.

 

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Everyone kills them for this deal but the Mets made out like bandits differing the payment over years.  

Bonilla was the idiot.

 

 

interesting comment... I am a CFP and haven’t done the calculation but I would take Bonillas side.  I am very confident that the 5.9 mil , under the conditions from 2000 to now would not have produced 1.2 million for 25 years.  We don’t have the contract but when it says, plis 8 percent interest, I am not certain if that is included in the 1.2 or in addition to. 
 

EDIT

so I found this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chart-contract-new-york-mets-bobby-bonilla-2013-7

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

interesting comment... I am a CFP and haven’t done the calculation but I would take Bonillas side.  I am very confident that the 5.9 mil , under the conditions from 2000 to now would not have produced 1.2 million for 25 years.  We don’t have the contract but when it says, plis 8 percent interest, I am not certain if that is included in the 1.2 or in addition to. 
 

EDIT

so I found this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chart-contract-new-york-mets-bobby-bonilla-2013-7

 

 

 

I read an analysis of that deal.  I million a year for 30 years whatever, it was claimed he would have done a lot better taking the 30 mil, investing it and not have the value of a million today vs what it was worth 30 years ago.\

Plus the Mets and Wilpon earned interest on those 30 million dollars over the 30 years.

Isnt the saying money today is worth more than money tomorrow?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I read an analysis of that deal.  I million a year for 30 years whatever, it was claimed he would have done a lot better taking the 30 mil, investing it and not have the value of a million today vs what it was worth 30 years ago.

Isnt the saying money today is worth more than money tomorrow?  

I’d still take Bonillas side...  the rate of return for the S and P has not been 8 percent since 2000.  perhaps you or I could have managed it but a non revocable annuity is probably the best thing Bonilla did.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As of tomorrow, we should be at about $25MM in cap space per Jason at OTC.  Will be intersting to see how/if we use it.

https://overthecap.com/teams-set-to-pick-up-cap-space-on-june-2/

The Jets will pick up $11 million in cap room with the release of Trumaine Johnson becoming official. Johnson had counted at $15 million on the Jets cap and will now count for $4 million this season and $8 million next year. The move should bump the Jets to around $25 million in cap room for 2020 which certainly gives them the space for an extension for Jamal Adams or to sign a player like Jadeveon Clowney. It would also give them the flexibility to take on an in-season trade if the season goes well from the start. Johnson is still a free agent.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, freestater said:

Buh-bye cupcake. Dont let the door hit ya on the way out. 

get out gtfo GIF by Tony Awards

i wnat the egde of the door to hit him in the mouth before he leaves 

Turn It Off Reaction GIF by Lil Yachty

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I’d still take Bonillas side...  the rate of return for the S and P has not been 8 percent since 2000.  perhaps you or I could have managed it but a non revocable annuity is probably the best thing Bonilla did.  

The Wilpons kicked the can down the road.  They figured they would have sold the team by now and the payments to finish out Bonillas contract would be paid by the new owners.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...