Ashtyn Davis is the most underrated pick in the 2020 NFL Draft

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He was a monster in 2006.  Peyton probably doesn't win thate super bowl without him.

Outside of the one great second half vs NE Peyton and the O did very little that postseason run.  Sanders healthy made all the difference.

4 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Needs to be Pro Bowl if a safety early in the 3rd is to be considered a steal. 

Contrary to popular opinion, the Pro Bowl is not the end-all be-all of a Safety's worth. 

With that said, I see no reason why Davis can't end up a perennial Pro Bowler/All-Pro type.  We haven't had a center fielder type Safety here since 2010, when Kerry Rhodes was traded to Arizona.  Rhodes never reached a Pro Bowl or 1st Team All-Pro, but that doesn't diminish his worth.  15 INTs, 48 PDs, 6 FFs, 5 FRs, 9.0 Sacks and 23 TFLs over his 5 years in a Jets uniform were pretty elite Safety numbers. 

For that entire decade after Rhodes, our Safeties have been the thumper types, which of course doesn't at all line up with the direction the league took in that same span. 

Finally we got a Safety that makes sense with the direction the league has been and continues to be going.  Versatile FS/Slot Corner types are all the rage, and for good reason.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Contrary to popular opinion, the Pro Bowl is not the end-all be-all of a Safety's worth. 

With that said, I see no reason why Davis can't end up a perennial Pro Bowler/All-Pro type.  We haven't had a center fielder type Safety here since 2010, when Kerry Rhodes was traded to Arizona.  Rhodes never reached a Pro Bowl or 1st Team All-Pro, but that doesn't diminish his worth.  15 INTs, 48 PDs, 6 FFs, 5 FRs, 9.0 Sacks and 23 TFLs over his 5 years in a Jets uniform were pretty elite Safety numbers. 

For that entire decade after Rhodes, our Safeties have been the thumper types, which of course doesn't at all line up with the direction the league took in that same span. 

Finally we got a Safety that makes sense with the direction the league has been and continues to be going.  Versatile FS/Slot Corner types are all the rage, and for good reason.  

Rhodes was second team all pro and his last season here was 2009.

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But what is the direction the league has been going?  One angle may be moving to extra CBs in place of safeties and then thumper hybrid safety/linebackers. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

But what is the direction the league has been going?  One angle may be moving to extra CBs in place of safeties and then thumper hybrid safety/linebackers. 

FS/CB hybrids seem to be a lot tougher to find than SS/LB hybrids. 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The league has been consumed with player safety rule changes and fines. The owners are concerned about lawsuits by players that suffered concussions.  Now you can't tackle a defenseless receiver which further reduces the value of a SS. The days of Ronnie Lott creaming a WR that was going over the middle are long gone.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

The league has been consumed with player safety rule changes and fines. The owners are concerned about lawsuits by players that suffered concussions.  Now you can't tackle a defenseless receiver which further reduces the value of a SS. The days of Ronnie Lott creaming a WR that was going over the middle are long gone.

Yeah, it's amazing how the game has changed.  I remember the ole ESPN segment, "The hit of the week".   It was almost always a WR being creamed by a S.

I remember my old HS coach screaming at me "PUT YOUR HAT ON HIM!"..Today he goes to jail for coaching a kid that way.LOL 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1