Jamal comes in at #20 on PFF top players

jets have money pay him-we barely ever draft a guy of substance let alone a pro bowl caliber player-he pretty much was the reason we had 2 of our wins last year-I have been a harsh critic on so much of the the jets have done especially lately but Adams is legit -I dont want to watch him ball out for another team 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

jets have money pay him

No, we really don't.  The CJ Mosley contract ensured that.  And with 2017 draft class QBs Mahomes and Watson beginning the process of negotiating their new deals, JD has to consider Darnold's new contract in the equation, as those negotiations could begin as early as 2021. 

Spending $15-18M per on a SS is completely ill-advised, no matter how good he is.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Incorrect.  He put up excellent stats for a Weak Side LB.  But several guys put up similar or better numbers than Jamal did last season, whether you want to call him a DB or LB.  

Jamal Adams:  61 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 6.5 Sacks, 2 FFs, 7 PDs, 10 TFLs

vs. 

• Jamie Collins:  58 Solo Tackles, 3 INTs, 7.0 Sacks, 3 FFs, 7 PDs, 10 TFLs
  • Darius Leonard:  71 Solo Tackles, 5 INTs, 2 FFs, 5.0 Sacks, 7 PDs, 7 TFLs
  • Logan Ryan:  73 Solo Tackles, 4 INTs, 4.5 Sacks, 4 FFs, 18 PDs, 4 TFLs
  • Demario Davis:  87 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 4.0 Sacks, 0 FFs, 12 PDs, 11 TFLs
  • Fred Warner:  89 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 3.0 Sacks, 3 FFs, 9 PDs, 7 TFLs
  • T.J. Watt:  35 Solo Tackles, 2 INTs, 14.5 Sacks, 8 FFs, 8 PDs, 14 TFLs
  • Cory Littleton:  78 Solo Tackles, 2 INTs, 3.5 Sacks, 2 FFs, 9 PDs, 6 TFLs
  • Jordan Hicks:  93 Solo Tackles, 3 INTs, 1.5 Sacks, 2 FFs, 6 PDs, 11 TFLs
  • Jourdan Lewis:  38 Solo Tackles, 2 INTs, 4.0 Sacks, 0 FFs, 6 PDs, 4 TFLs
  • Whitney Mercilus:  33 Solo Tackles, 2 INTs, 7.5 Sacks, 4 FFs, 2 PDs, 9 TFLs
  • Lavonte David:  82 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 1.0 Sacks, 3 FFs, 7 PDs, 10 TFLs
  • Joe Schobert:  89 Solo Tackles, 4 INTs, 2.0 Sacks, 2 TFLs, 9 PDs, 7 TFLs

And before you start screaming about sack totals, keep in mind that Adams was sent on 90 blitzes last season, ranking 10th among defensive players in the NFL.  

That's not a sustainable approach either, as every time Adams blitzed, it put an extra strain on the DB's.  With the addition of Ashtyn Davis and a bunch of other DBs, I imagine we'll see Adams in more of a traditional SS role next season.  He won't come close to that 6.5 sack total in 2020.

Adams is special as a Safety......who doesn't really play Safety.

Adams is average to above average for a Linebacker......who basically played Linebacker last year......but is officially listed as a "Strong Safety".

Again, toss out the silly position listing, and judge the player for what he produces.  Then determine his value.

Great post.  +1

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Incorrect.  He put up excellent stats for a Weak Side LB.  But several guys put up similar or better numbers than Jamal did last season, whether you want to call him a DB or LB.  

vs. 

• Joe Schobert:  89 Solo Tackles, 4 INTs, 2.0 Sacks, 2 TFLs, 9 PDs, 7 TFLs

And before you start screaming about sack totals, keep in mind that Adams was sent on 90 blitzes last season, ranking 10th among defensive players in the NFL.  

That's not a sustainable approach either, as every time Adams blitzed, it put an extra strain on the DB's.  With the addition of Ashtyn Davis and a bunch of other DBs, I imagine we'll see Adams in more of a traditional SS role next season.  He won't come close to that 6.5 sack total in 2020.

Not sure if Adams will be relieved of "sack duty" this coming season. I'd say that blitzing a SS so often is a band-aid of sorts for a lack of rush being generated by your front four.  While, JD most decidedly improved the offensive line and also drafted what looks to be a situational pass rusher in Zuniga, there really has been no major improvement in the pass rushing ability of the front four.  GW will still be looking to novel ways to get at the QB.  Adams will probably be utilized like that again.  I guess for the 2021 draft we'll all be guessing what edge rusher the Jets will be using their first rounder on.  

Man... How long as it been since the Jets had a top edge rusher ??? Abraham ??? 

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not sure if Adams will be relieved of "sack duty" this coming season. I'd say that blitzing a SS so often is a band-aid of sorts for a lack of rush being generated by your front four.  While, JD most decidedly improved the offensive line and also drafted what looks to be a situational pass rusher in Zuniga, there really has been no major improvement in the pass rushing ability of the front four.  GW will still be looking to novel ways to get at the QB.  Adams will probably be utilized like that again.  I guess for the 2021 draft we'll all be guessing what edge rusher the Jets will be using their first rounder on.  

Man... How long as it been since the Jets had a top edge rusher ??? Abraham ??? 

If Adams blitzes another 80-90 times this year, Offensive Coordinators will be ready for it.  And there's no Dwayne Haskins or Daniel Jones on the schedule this time around.  

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Adams blitzes another 80-90 times this year, Offensive Coordinators will be ready for it.  And there's no Dwayne Haskins or Daniel Jones on the schedule this time around.  

Not sure if you can really guard against the blitz unless you are the Pats and you listen in on the mike LB with your electronic gear. Even if a DC has a tendency to use ILBS for A gap blitzing more than usual, or DB's or what ever, the pressure is disguised.  They got away with it a lot last year even when DC's had the film from every game. I don't even know if it is sound to scheme up a man blocking assignment on a safety.  Interesting question in itself. What specific provisions would you put into an offense to counter a roaming SS ???

40 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Interesting question in itself. What specific provisions would you put into an offense to counter a roaming SS ???

I'm far from the best person to ask this question.  My guess would be to assume Adams is blitzing all the time and opt for quick throws over the middle wherever possible.  Drag routes, bubble screens, etc. 

Adams isn't an INT threat historically, so the risk of him staying put and picking you off is minimal.  

The big difference this year will be Mosley's presence.  But that goes back to my original point that keeping Adams around the LOS all the time just makes little sense with Mosley around.  If you want to send him as a blitzer a bunch, OK I guess, but it's not going to end as well as last year.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

vs. 

• Carlos Dunlap:  39 Solo Tackles, 0 INTs, 9.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, 8 PDs, 13 TFLs
  • Harrison Smith:  65 Solo Tackles, 3 INTs, 1.0 Sacks, 3 FFs, 11 PDs, 4 TFLs
  • Malcolm Jenkins:  63 Solo Tackles, 0 INTs, 2.5 Sacks, 4 FFs, 8 PDs, 6 TFLs
  • Yannick Ngakoue:  36 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 8.0 Sacks, 6 PDs, 13 TFLs
  • Joe Schobert:  89 Solo Tackles, 4 INTs, 2.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, 9 PDs, 7 TFLs
  • Jaylon Smith:  83 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 2.5 Sacks, 2 FFs, 9 PDs, 6 TFLs
  • Vonn Bell:  66 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 1.5 Sacks, 2 FFs, 5 PDs, 4 TFLs
  • Devin McCourty:  46 Solo Tackles, 5 INTs, 0.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, 7 PDs, 0 TFLs
  • Tre'Davious White:  48 Solo Tackles, 6 INTs, 1.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, 17 PDs, 4 TFLs

That's not a sustainable approach either, as every time Adams blitzed, it put an extra strain on the DB's.  With the addition of Ashtyn Davis and a bunch of other DBs, as well as a couple new pass rushers, I imagine we'll see Adams in more of a traditional SS role next season.  He won't come close to that 6.5 sack total in 2020.

How many had 2 TDs?  

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm far from the best person to ask this question.  My guess would be to assume Adams is blitzing all the time and opt for quick throws over the middle wherever possible.  Drag routes, bubble screens, etc. 

Adams isn't an INT threat historically, so the risk of him staying put and picking you off is minimal.  

The big difference this year will be Mosley's presence.  But that goes back to my original point that keeping Adams around the LOS all the time just makes little sense with Mosley around.  If you want to send him as a blitzer a bunch, OK I guess, but it's not going to end as well as last year.

Makes sense... And yes.  Mosley.  The defense fell apart when Mosley went down.  I think that has less to do with Mosley being an excellent player, which he is, and more like GW didn't have anyone else fully prepared to call the defensive signals on the field.  I hope Mosely is good to go now.  He's a just a bit pricey to be watching from the sideline.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JiF said:

How many had 2 TDs?  

Of the list of 20 players I provided earlier, these 6 recorded TDs last season:

• Jamie Collins:  1 TD
  • Darius Leonard:  1 TD
  • Fred Warner:  1 TD
  • Jourdan Lewis:  1 TD
  • Yannick Ngakoue:  1 TD
  • Vonn Bell:  1 TD 
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of the list of 20 players I provided earlier, these 6 recorded TDs last season:

• Jamie Collins:  1 TD
  • Darius Leonard:  1 TD
  • Fred Warner:  1 TD
  • Jourdan Lewis:  1 TD
  • Yannick Ngakoue:  1 TD
  • Vonn Bell:  1 TD 

But none of them had 2.  Exactly!  

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Makes sense... And yes.  Mosley.  The defense fell apart when Mosley went down.  I think that has less to do with Mosley being an excellent player, which he is, and more like GW didn't have anyone else fully prepared to call the defensive signals on the field.  I hope Mosely is good to go now.  He's a just a bit pricey to be watching from the sideline.  

Man.  I wish he'd give us an update on how he's doing.  "Full range of motion."  Please!

• Sympathy 1

On 6/3/2020 at 5:17 PM, Warfish said:

Adams is special as a Safety......who doesn't really play Safety.

Adams is average to above average for a Linebacker......who basically played Linebacker last year......but is officially listed as a "Strong Safety".

Again, toss out the silly position listing, and judge the player for what he produces.  Then determine his value.

Great post.  +1

So now he’s a special safety and not a strong safety? He’s definitely a SS - a sheety safety. 

• WTF? 1

15 hours ago, slats said:

Look at the players who fill those jobs, they're smaller (for the NFL), and aren't generally the guys who run the fastest, or test the best, or have the best ball skills, so these are the positions they end up in. If a guy is 6'-215lb, runs a 4.35 and can catch, he's a WR or CB making WR or CB money. If he runs a 4.56 and can't catch, he's a safety. That premium pass rusher is gonna be 6'5"-265lb, and run a 4.65. There just aren't as many of those guys on the planet, as Parcells would say

If you can't catch and have to  play defense and then use social media (or use your paid trolls) to promote yourself. Paying this guy 18-20M is insanity, Thankfully Macc is history.

JD will trade his ass for real Jets positional value if some GM (Jerry Jones) is stupid enough to offer a good deal.

• Upvote 2

On 6/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

If Adams blitzes another 80-90 times this year, Offensive Coordinators will be ready for it. 

They already know. They can’t stop him. Jamal Adams is coming for you. 

#jamalmetrics 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Yep, it's the same argument over and over again. Positional value.

It's why the Jets signing Bell and the Giants drafting Barkley #2 overall didn't move the needle for either franchise. We see it over and over again, year after year, across the league. 

My heart wants Adams to be a long term Jet because we drafted him and we draft so few 1st team all-pro talents (and we passed on Mahomes/Watson to draft him), but my mind knows that making him one of the highest defensive players in the league doesn't make any sense. 

Adams is easily replaceable with a SS that'll that will provide  85 to 90 percent of his production at 1/2 the cost.

• Upvote 2

On 6/3/2020 at 4:33 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

vs. 

• Carlos Dunlap:  39 Solo Tackles, 0 INTs, 9.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, 8 PDs, 13 TFLs
  • Harrison Smith:  65 Solo Tackles, 3 INTs, 1.0 Sacks, 3 FFs, 11 PDs, 4 TFLs
  • Malcolm Jenkins:  63 Solo Tackles, 0 INTs, 2.5 Sacks, 4 FFs, 8 PDs, 6 TFLs
  • Yannick Ngakoue:  36 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 8.0 Sacks, 6 PDs, 13 TFLs
  • Joe Schobert:  89 Solo Tackles, 4 INTs, 2.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, 9 PDs, 7 TFLs
  • Jaylon Smith:  83 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 2.5 Sacks, 2 FFs, 9 PDs, 6 TFLs
  • Vonn Bell:  66 Solo Tackles, 1 INT, 1.5 Sacks, 2 FFs, 5 PDs, 4 TFLs
  • Devin McCourty:  46 Solo Tackles, 5 INTs, 0.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, 7 PDs, 0 TFLs
  • Tre'Davious White:  48 Solo Tackles, 6 INTs, 1.0 Sacks, 2 FFs, 17 PDs, 4 TFLs

That's not a sustainable approach either, as every time Adams blitzed, it put an extra strain on the DB's.  With the addition of Ashtyn Davis and a bunch of other DBs, as well as a couple new pass rushers, I imagine we'll see Adams in more of a traditional SS role next season.  He won't come close to that 6.5 sack total in 2020.

Just a thought here......wonder if Williams changed Adams' role into what Anthony Barr was going to be? Now that we drafted Davis, does Jamal really become Barr?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Adams is easily replaceable with a SS that'll that will provide  85 to 90 percent of his production at 1/2 the cost.

Ok so they get rid of a WR and replace him with someone that produces less and then they should get rid of the best player on the team and replace him with someone that produces less. Is there anyone else that they should replace replace with a less productive player? It’s not a farm team for the NFL. 

8 hours ago, Vader said:

They already know. They can’t stop him. Jamal Adams is coming for you. 

#jamalmetrics 

I'm sure Mahomes and Russell Wilson are shaking in their boots!

Any smart and/or veteran QB will tell you that they typically love it when the Safety blitzes.  They aren't all Dwayne Haskins and Daniel Jones.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Just a thought here......wonder if Williams changed Adams' role into what Anthony Barr was going to be? Now that we drafted Davis, does Jamal really become Barr?

I wouldn't mind it.  But you of course don't pay Anthony Barr $15-18M per year. 

Barr signed last year for $67.5M over 5 years ($13.5M per), with $15.9M guaranteed.  And what he will actually get paid out will be much lower, given that he will never see the final year on the deal (2023 - $18.1M against the cap).  Essentially it ends up being a 4-year deal worth about $12.5M per year.

That would be a pretty good benchmark contract for what Adams is actually worth.

And before anyone says Adams is a lot better than Barr, keep in mind that Barr's numbers in an average season isn't that far off from Adams' production:  48.5 Solo Tackles, 0.3 INTs, 2.5 Sacks, 1.3 FFs, 6.0 TFLs, 4.3 PDs, 6.3 QB Hits.  With 4 Pro Bowl appearances in 6 seasons. 

• Upvote 2