Jump to content
Alka

Jets will be 8-8 this season

Recommended Posts

Last season after the first preseason game, I started a thread where I predicted that the Jets would be 7-9 for the year, and 8-8 if they remained healthy and had no major injuries.  Of course, they did have major injuries, and they were 7-9.

This year, the Jets will be a better team with a stout defense.  So why do I predict 8-8 for the year.  First and foremost, I do not believe that the offensive line will be significantly improved from last season.  Yes, I believe in Becton, and he is a building block for the future, but the Jets have other players that need to prove themselves, and I will not make predictions on hope, but what I see that is in front of me.  Second, while I love the potential of our wide receivers, again, I cannot base my prediction based upon hope.  Third, the schedule is tougher this year, and we don't have the pathetic NFC East to beat up on this coming year like we were able to do last year.

But make no mistake: this Jets team will be better, and in my humble opinion, will need another draft and another year to grow and mature into the team I believe that they will eventually become.  Last year, my #1 reason I predicted 7-9 is because I did not believe in the offensive line, and unfortunately, I was right.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget who said it, maybe Jeremiah or baldy, but the Jets could be a better team this year but have a worse record. I agree but I think 8-8 is possible. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Adam Gase is fully capable of turning this 10-11 win team into an 8-8 team.

LOL.  Why am I laughing?  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are more competative with a decent offense... that's all I really care about.  We have a tough scheduled...but 8-8 and a top 12 offense.  I'm fine with that.  If Sam doesn't make the jump... then Gase out on his butt by the end of December.  Playoffs would be great but Sam making the jump to franchise QB is all I really want.  Gase's ability to get this offense going is what should be worrying him right now.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems fair. I will consider the year a success if we go 8-8. 

 

Truth is we have more question mark's than answers right now. Joe needs a couple season at least to mold the team.

 

I hope WR and RB gets the same level of attention next off season that O line got this one.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8-8?

 

The only way this team is 8-8 is if Sam gets mono again. 

11-5 is the floor. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Confused 5
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Seems fair. I will consider the year a success if we go 8-8. 

agreed

of course how the pieces on the field (and in the coaching box) grow together throughout the year is what most/all of us care about right now over the 2020 W/L column

---

also agree with you as well OP ... but (in good natured tone)  you weren't really out there on a limb predicting 7-9 will OL as our weakest link, lol

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I look at this roster and schedule I feel like their ceiling is 9-7. With the extra playoff spot 9-7 could get them a ticket into the dance, could be a huge experience for Sam. Anywhere between 6 and 9 wins is a fair assessment. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

8-8?

 

The only way this team is 8-8 is if Sam gets mono again. 

11-5 is the floor. 

 

Prepare to be disappointed.  Games against the 2 Super Bowl contestants from last season and 3 west coast trips say you're way off on that one.  That's 5 very likely losses alone, before even looking at the other 11 games on the schedule.

9-7 is the ceiling if Darnold stays healthy all 16 games and balls out.  5 wins is the floor.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to assume NE takes a step back and Miami is a huge unknown.  I think there are division wins to be had.  

I have to assume that the offense will be better.  Sam + New WR options plus (hopefully) better O-Line work product.  why would it not be better?

Specials are probably the same or better and I see no reason to think the Defense will be worse.  2nd year of Williams plus (hopefully) better overall health.  Why would we not be better on D?

I think 8-8 is the floor TBH.

If Jamal learns to actually catch the ball... who knows?

<the last one was a joke.... mostly>

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alka said:

Last season after the first preseason game, I started a thread where I predicted that the Jets would be 7-9 for the year, and 8-8 if they remained healthy and had no major injuries.  Of course, they did have major injuries, and they were 7-9.

This year, the Jets will be a better team with a stout defense.  So why do I predict 8-8 for the year.  First and foremost, I do not believe that the offensive line will be significantly improved from last season.  Yes, I believe in Becton, and he is a building block for the future, but the Jets have other players that need to prove themselves, and I will not make predictions on hope, but what I see that is in front of me.  Second, while I love the potential of our wide receivers, again, I cannot base my prediction based upon hope.  Third, the schedule is tougher this year, and we don't have the pathetic NFC East to beat up on this coming year like we were able to do last year.

But make no mistake: this Jets team will be better, and in my humble opinion, will need another draft and another year to grow and mature into the team I believe that they will eventually become.  Last year, my #1 reason I predicted 7-9 is because I did not believe in the offensive line, and unfortunately, I was right.

Cool.

I'm heading up to Long Island this week for at least a month. When do you predict the bars will open? The strippers must be chomping at the bit...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

If they are more competative with a decent offense... that's all I really care about.  We have a tough scheduled...but 8-8 and a top 12 offense.  I'm fine with that.  If Sam doesn't make the jump... then Gase out on his butt by the end of December.  Playoffs would be great but Sam making the jump to franchise QB is all I really want.  Gase's ability to get this offense going is what should be worrying him right now.

WTF????

Why should Gase get fired "if Sam doesn't make the jump?"

I'm not saying Sam won't be better this year, but if he's not, Gase and JD didn't draft him. It's not on them. If the rest of the team looks improved and plays well but the QB doesn't that's on the QB, no? Maybe he just isn't the guy, can't blame the HC for that. It's not like Darnold "balled out" for Bowles, and Gase is ruining him.

I know you're going to come back with "Gase was supposed to be a QB guru, that's why he's here..." No. He was hired to coach the Jets, not Darnold. Sure he has an OC/QB coach background, but he was hired as the former HC of Miami to be the HC of the Jets, not to be Sam's nursemaid. If a player can't cut it, next man up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is ridiculous to guess at w-l record.  As a fan you have to like that there are more guys you’re looking forward to seeing in action.  After a few games we’ll see what we’ve got and extrapolate from there.   One of these years we are going to be better than mediocre.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our roster appears to have improved but not enough to turn a 7-9 team with an incredibly weak schedule into an 8-8 team with a way more difficult schedule. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alka said:

LOL.  Why am I laughing?  

They say the truth hurts, and when it starts to hurt for this long it just becomes funny, and only a Jets fan can even understand what I just said lol.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lupz27 said:

They say the truth hurts, and when it starts to hurt for this long it just becomes funny, and only a Jets fan can even understand what I just said lol.

Trust me, I get it.

I get into a lot of dust ups with people here because after over 50 years of watching this team, I just laugh at the absurdity of it all. The this is the guy, this is the coach, the whole pig is ripe thing.

I get the young guys here who are blindly optimistic, but the older guys who've been watching from way before they were born? How do you do it?

Don't get me wrong, before every season starts I concoct in my head a scenario where "this is the year" for the Jets. Same as I do for the Mets, Rangers, and yeah, even the Knicks. But yeah, you're 100% correct, it might be a frustrated laugh, but I do laugh.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

WTF????

Why should Gase get fired "if Sam doesn't make the jump?"

I'm not saying Sam won't be better this year, but if he's not, Gase and JD didn't draft him. It's not on them. If the rest of the team looks improved and plays well but the QB doesn't that's on the QB, no? Maybe he just isn't the guy, can't blame the HC for that. It's not like Darnold "balled out" for Bowles, and Gase is ruining him.

I know you're going to come back with "Gase was supposed to be a QB guru, that's why he's here..." No. He was hired to coach the Jets, not Darnold. Sure he has an OC/QB coach background, but he was hired as the former HC of Miami to be the HC of the Jets, not to be Sam's nursemaid. If a player can't cut it, next man up.

 

No.  I am coming back with he can go "8-8 against a schedule that includes the Niners, Chiefs, and a West Coast road swing.  And CJ still won"t fire him."  Woody might in '21 after he comes back.  And discovers little brother couldn't make much better progress them he could.  But i know Sam's play and the offense's production is tied to the barometer under Gase's seat.  Only then will CJ's be upset enough to actually do something.  If it's so blatantly obvious that Gase's tenure at the belm isnt working. I've followed this franchise long enough not to draw a line in the sand and say "playoffs or else!"  Knowing full well the same incompetent will be in the coaches office next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

If they are more competative with a decent offense... that's all I really care about.  We have a tough scheduled...but 8-8 and a top 12 offense.  I'm fine with that.  If Sam doesn't make the jump... then Gase out on his butt by the end of December.  Playoffs would be great but Sam making the jump to franchise QB is all I really want.  Gase's ability to get this offense going is what should be worrying him right now.

 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

WTF????

Why should Gase get fired "if Sam doesn't make the jump?"

I'm not saying Sam won't be better this year, but if he's not, Gase and JD didn't draft him. It's not on them. If the rest of the team looks improved and plays well but the QB doesn't that's on the QB, no? Maybe he just isn't the guy, can't blame the HC for that. It's not like Darnold "balled out" for Bowles, and Gase is ruining him.

I know you're going to come back with "Gase was supposed to be a QB guru, that's why he's here..." No. He was hired to coach the Jets, not Darnold. Sure he has an OC/QB coach background, but he was hired as the former HC of Miami to be the HC of the Jets, not to be Sam's nursemaid. If a player can't cut it, next man up.

 

 

Just now, pdxgreen said:

No.  I am coming back with he can go "8-8 against a schedule that includes the Niners, Chiefs, and a West Coast road swing.  And CJ still won"t fire him."  Woody might in '21 after he comes back.  And discovers little brother couldn't make much better progress them he could.  But i know Sam's play and the offense's production is tied to the barometer under Gase's seat.  Only then will CJ's be upset enough to actually do something.  If it's so blatantly obvious that Gase's tenure at the belm isnt working. I've followed this franchise long enough not to draw a line in the sand and say "playoffs or else!"  Knowing full well the same incompetent will be in the office next season.

You can come back now with whatever you want there, but I could care less. Its nonsense that has nothing to do with what you said earlier. It doesn't change what you said, and what I responded to.

Your exact words were "If Sam doesn't make the jump... then Gase out on his butt by December." That's what YOU said, that's what I responded to. 

Don't start moving goalposts. Either stay on point or don't respond. Nobody cares about what you think "CJ will do" or what "Woody will do" WTF do you know about what he'll do two years from now? You're talking out of your a**…  "Barometers" LOL.

Normally I'd just let your last post go, and forget about it. But I "saw" you the last two weeks, and don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. There's not a lot of mutual respect between us anymore Ducky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

 

 

You can come back now with whatever you want there, but that doesn't change what you said, and what I responded to. Your exact words were "If Sam doesn't make the jump... then Gase out on his butt by December."  

That's what YOU said, that's what I responded to.

Don't start moving goalposts. Either stay on point or don't respond.

Normally I'd just let your last post go, and forget about it. But I "saw" you the last two weeks, and don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. There's not a lot of mutual respect between us anymore Ducky.

hqdefault.jpg.50d5fb003f2d9a356d004a57004338a4.jpg


 

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Pathetic.

 

 

 

 

Listen.  I don't know what I did to piss you off.  But bump it down a few notches.  This is an off season board right now and things run hot.  People fling crap in here quite regularly... without sometimes thinking of the other person.  But that isn't like me.  And even if I do from time to time... I know my limits.  You're a 'Cuse grad right?  One of my dad's favorite players was Dave Bing.  So he had me watch those great teams built around Coleman, Douglas and Seikaly.  Always wanted to visit the Carrier Dome.  Great fan base.  Hard place to recruit but Boeheim does a great job.  It'll be sad when he moves on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Untitled.jpg

This schedule isn't as hard as everyone thinks.  Soft in the middle.

Open 2-2.

Close 2-2.

Middle 6-2.

New York Jets AFC East Champions.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alka said:

Last season after the first preseason game, I started a thread where I predicted that the Jets would be 7-9 for the year, and 8-8 if they remained healthy and had no major injuries.  Of course, they did have major injuries, and they were 7-9.

This year, the Jets will be a better team with a stout defense.  So why do I predict 8-8 for the year.  First and foremost, I do not believe that the offensive line will be significantly improved from last season.  Yes, I believe in Becton, and he is a building block for the future, but the Jets have other players that need to prove themselves, and I will not make predictions on hope, but what I see that is in front of me.  Second, while I love the potential of our wide receivers, again, I cannot base my prediction based upon hope.  Third, the schedule is tougher this year, and we don't have the pathetic NFC East to beat up on this coming year like we were able to do last year.

But make no mistake: this Jets team will be better, and in my humble opinion, will need another draft and another year to grow and mature into the team I believe that they will eventually become.  Last year, my #1 reason I predicted 7-9 is because I did not believe in the offensive line, and unfortunately, I was right.

If you wanna look at the end result, then yeah your 7-9 prediction was spot on. But if you wanna go into reasonings, then you’re dead wrong. Jets had crazy amount of injuries. When you lose your top 2 QBs for 3 games where the offense doesn’t score, you lose your top FA defender for an entire year and your already weak OL loses a few starters, the 7-9 record was very impressive. They went 6-2 in the second half. That’s who they were. Maybe a 10 win team. If we can avoid too many major injuries, we should be a 10 win team in 2020. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Cool.

I'm heading up to Long Island this week for at least a month. When do you predict the bars will open? The strippers must be chomping at the bit...

Just remember...a 2 at 10 is a 10 at 2...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Larz said:

I forget who said it, maybe Jeremiah or baldy, but the Jets could be a better team this year but have a worse record. I agree but I think 8-8 is possible. 

yep, it was one of the talking heads but they were commenting mainly on the strength of schedule.  i don't agree because i don't believe there is much carry over, year to year, of team strength with a few exceptions like the chiefs, the patsies (of late), steelers, ravens.  the rest of the teams have up and down years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could deal with going 8-8 if the team is competitive in the losses. 

I still want 10 wins. Just give me 10 effing wins....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I could deal with going 8-8 if the team is competitive in the losses. 

I still want 10 wins. Just give me 10 effing wins....

Fitzpatrick and marshall and decker and the boys got 10 wins and were all drummed off the team and forever hated a year or so later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8-8 would be a disappointment.  10 wins should be the expectation, given the division, our talent, etc.

7-9 followed by 8-8, that's decidedly unimpressive in my book.  We're a better talented team than 8-8 today.

The excuses are already starting and it's barely June.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

WTF????

Why should Gase get fired "if Sam doesn't make the jump?"

I'm not saying Sam won't be better this year, but if he's not, Gase and JD didn't draft him. It's not on them. If the rest of the team looks improved and plays well but the QB doesn't that's on the QB, no? Maybe he just isn't the guy, can't blame the HC for that. It's not like Darnold "balled out" for Bowles, and Gase is ruining him.

I know you're going to come back with "Gase was supposed to be a QB guru, that's why he's here..." No. He was hired to coach the Jets, not Darnold. Sure he has an OC/QB coach background, but he was hired as the former HC of Miami to be the HC of the Jets, not to be Sam's nursemaid. If a player can't cut it, next man up.

Whatever your opinion on Sam Darnold is, Adam Gase and Mike McCarthy were only interested in the Jets' job because of him. Joe Douglas is here because of him. This bottom-feeding franchise fell into one of the top QB prospects to come out in the last few years, and their focus is to get the most out of that most precious asset. 

Too many variables last year to properly assess Gase, IMHO. The mono, all the other injuries, the strong finish for both the Jets and Darnold - albeit against a collection of tomato cans. The fact that before the mono and the injuries, the Maccagnan built roster had already sucked. The OL sucked, the WRs sucked. It's hard to get a fair read on Gase or Darnold from that season. 

But the priority for the franchise is Darnold over Gase until there's clear-cut evidence that Gase is the guy and Sam isn't, which is the kind of evidence that's gonna be very difficult to find. If Darnold sucks, the offense and team are also going to suck. It's more likely that Darnold will show flashes yet again and Gase's coaching will come under fire, than it is that Gase will be viewed as a solid coach despite Darnold not performing. If Darnold's not performing, it will likely be concluded that Gase isn't, either. 

My hopes and expectations are that that won't be the case. I've said many times that I expect a slow start for this completely rebuilt offense, but I want to see a strong finish against both good and bad teams down the stretch. A lot of adversity this year, but everyone has to deal with it. Teams who changed head coaches this year have it tougher than the Jets, but the Jets have it harder than teams not changing out their entire OL. Thing is, it's Sam's third year in the league, it's his career, and this is the year -despite the adversity- that he has to get it done. I wish they did more in the weapons department than they did, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, Sam is probably in a better position to save Gase's job than the other way around. And for the sake of his own career -and the team I root for- I'm hoping that's the kind of performance he puts up. 

I don't necessarily think Gase is on the hot seat to start this year, but he could get there. If Sam isn't performing, Gase is the guy most likely to not survive. The team might bring in another QB to compete with Sam, too, but they won't give Gase another shot with another QB. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...