NY Jets second-round pick Denzel Mims has quite an interesting background.

52 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Luckily for Mims these Jets never need to sniff the city.  Florham Park is around some of the nicest suburbs in Jersey. Really enjoyed my years in that neck of the woods

Totally. I’m familiar w the area. I do know - as a flyers fan - that the players mostly live in NJ too and their practice rink is in vorhees. Dunno about any other Philly sports tho 

Contrary to popular belief NJ has some wonderful places, and is quite beautiful. That's why I don't live there anymore lol... Seriously if it weren't for how expensive and the taxes, it's a nice place to live. Lived in Somerset County most of my entire life, before moving to NC.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, GaryM said:

The experience I had, I was very scared. I wasn’t familiar with the whole city, and it was a lot going on. You see a lot of people that look scary. I’m not a part of that, I don’t like that. So I mean, I had a bad experience, you could say, going up there for the first time. But I feel like if I just go there more, and I just get familiar with it, I could have a great time.”

Well it’s a good thing Denzel wasn’t drafted by a team in a major metropolitan area, then

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s like if you took Maine, Kentucky, and the set of Escape From New York and smashed them together over a flood plain

Exactly.

Mims should be fine as long as he doesnt get tangled up with a mamma moose protecting her calf. (His speed should help him out though)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

Luckily for Mims these Jets never need to sniff the city.  Florham Park is around some of the nicest suburbs in Jersey. Really enjoyed my years in that neck of the woods

Exactly. It's like Gary Myers thinks the Jets actually built that stadium on the West Side. Florham Park is nothing like NYC.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

The Northwest of New Jersey is similar to the Southeast of Maine.  There is no Homesteading in NJ though  :)

Ahhh. Yeah SE Maine is all pillheads now on the coast... Kinda depressing

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vader said:

Also Throw in there hamptons, NY

the Hamptons (and Maine) benefits from fresh air that NW NJ only dreams about 

can you see the stars in NJ? That's the real test. Light pollution. 

NJ is surprisingly good at points it's also a festering crap pile in points. There's no part of Maine that looks like the Vince Lombardi Rest stop 

and by the way I live in Philly it's similar there are scary parts but not any more scary than Camden, Trenton, Newark and parts of AC. There are also really nice green areas where Randolph and Mortimer live (Merion Golf Club)

Mims probably ran into a bad santa.

drunk trading places GIF

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Hamptons (and Maine) benefits from fresh air that NW NJ only dreams about 

can you see the stars in NJ? That's the real test. Light pollution. 

NJ is surprisingly good at points it's also a festering crap pile in points. There's no part of Maine that looks like the Vince Lombardi Rest stop 

and by the way I live in Philly it's similar there are scary parts but not any more scary than Camden, Trenton, Newark and parts of AC. There are also really nice green areas where Randolph and Mortimer live (Merion Golf Club)

Mims probably ran into a bad santa.

drunk trading places GIF

Or do as Wentz and Mcnabb and all the others and live in NJ... Florham Park isn’t Elizabeth tho... there’s quite a bit of nature/forest going on 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Meh, I've heard NJ looks just like Maine.

I lived in NJ (Union Beach) for a few years and mostly remember exit 13 - Elisabeth on I-95 - while I  was commuting to work in mid-town NY City. The smell woke me up every morning. I haven't regretted leaving NYC not even one time.

If I could work and/or live in that part of NJ -w/o- commuting to NYC - I'd have a different opinion.

Eight blocks from the beach and close enough to horse trails and hunting is a major draw. Too bad things changed - so I moved to sunny Fla.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GaryM said:

Oh, I see. You think I just made that up. You know we had a forum before you arrived, right?

4 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I lived in NJ (Union Beach) for a few years and mostly remember exit 13 - Elisabeth on I-95 - while I  was commuting to work in mid-town NY City. The smell woke me up every morning. I haven't regretted leaving NYC not even one time.

If I could work and/or live in that part of NJ -w/o- commuting to NYC - I'd have a different opinion.

Eight blocks from the beach and close enough to horse trails and hunting is a major draw. Too bad things changed - so I moved to sunny Fla.

I don't think I've been to NJ, but I've been through NY a few times. Upstate looks quite nice.

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2020 at 1:16 AM, David Harris said:

Even that area is going to seem extremely populated.  The county the guy comes from has 12,000 people.  It is a totally different lifestyle.  

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Even that area is going to seem extremely populated.  The county the guy comes from has 12,000 people.  It is a totally different lifestyle.  

Agreed...... the selection of a mature and stable roommate will be key for this kid. Maybe Clark or Hall would be or even Perrine?

• Upvote 2

Read the article expecting there would be some amazing fact about Denzel Mims. He juggles chainsaws, caught an 800 sea bass,is a licensed Space Shuttle Pilot, ...no.  And really he is about what you might expect from a college wideout. Philadelphia scares him?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

As pointed out in this article...and I've brought this up in other Mims postings...he was being groomed to be the #1 QB in high school.  But he was just too explosive a receiver to keep him there.  Also...when you're grooming someone worthy for consideration at QB position...you would expect that player would have a good understanding of route concepts and timing issues between QB and receiver. 

Now add to that...the football culture and genes within his extended family tree.  IMO it's just overblown concerning his limited route abilities.  He'll take to the coaching of Hines Ward and others, and refine his route running.  It shouldn't be a problem for someone with his background.  

Mims is a smart and seriously dedicated football player.  With his background football culture...and natural athletic gifts...I expect him to have a  big impact this year.   He's also pissed...at all those teams that passed on him.  That was the first thing he said when on the phone with JD.  

My man Mims...is a complete football player...who's gonna surprise this year.  This analyst sees it that way too...

Download video

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1