Trevon Wesco Blocking Highlights

On 6/4/2020 at 12:26 PM, ElBarrioJets said:

I really don't understand why people want to cut this guy. I know, "MAC PICK HURR", but all teams still need competent lead blockers and extra inline blockers. He's one of the few guys who can play FB and TE. 

Love Wesco.  Everyone who hates this kid is just doing that they do. Just like so many other players who just needed a min to get up to speed.  he is a crushing blocker and has better hands than people think. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Guys like Wesco are necessary on every team. He's not Kelce or Kittle, but he doesn't have to be. On the other side of the ball if you remember Bart Scott wasn't exactly a sack machine he was just there to take on blocks. A guy like Mike DeVito wasn't a superstar but he seemed to be in on almost every play somehow.

Some of these unsung hero types are very necessary for the formation, the scheme or the play to work properly. Just don't draft them at # 6 overall lol.

Bart Scott has something like 9 sacks from the inside linebacker position one year in Baltimore, which is unheard of. He was very much more than just a blocker taker upper

I know it’s a small sample size but he was very under-utilised at WV so was considered a project coming out....he can be a very useful receiver in those critical short area and intermediate routes....he’s definitely worth keeping and investing some increased playing time in, he has to make the step up but Gase actually seems to value these versatile non-flashy players and may actually use him properly.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I agree Mike, it’s good to have you on the board!

Haha.   Hey there wasn't too many UMaine guys in the NFL to root for, and Devito landed on my favorite team.

(Plus his jersey number was my birth year)

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Haha.   Hey there wasn't too many UMaine guys in the NFL to root for, and Devito landed on my favorite team.

(Plus his jersey number was my birth year)

The guy was a class jet and a great guy to root for. We need more Mikey D’s

• Upvote 2

I was listening to sports radio up here in VT last night - forget who was on the air - the hosts were discussing the KC and 49rs tight ends and their contracts. They felt the money was way better spent on expensive tight ends, rather than mega expensive wide receivers in terms of bang for buck and salary cap health.

They pointed out that many/most of the recent Super Bowl teams had top tier tight ends, and often no top tier wide receivers. They made the case that versatile pass catching/decent blocking tight ends were more important because of their flexibility to the QB's. I thought about it, and have to say when considering who are the "top QB's", most if not all of them have really good three down tight ends - and just having that option makes the whole offense better.

I'd do the research of the last ten years of SB teams and who the QB/TE pairs were, but I'm supposed to be working .... ;) But when they ran through the list, it was pretty convincing.

SO - we might be better off with Hearndon and Brown and the current TE group - and they may make up for our lack of experience at WR. I think IMHO that the increased time for Sam and better run blocking will help the passing game, and I don't feel the need to trade for an older veteran. Let's play the young guys,