The NY Jets are expected to skip minicamp upon the conclusion of their virtual offseason program.

The NY Jets are set to conclude their virtual offseason program next week, but it doesn’t look like they’ll be meeting up again any time soon after that.

As first reported by Brian Costello of the NY Post, the Jets will not be conducting an in-person minicamp following the end of their virtual offseason program. That means that the team likely wouldn’t convene until late July when training camp is scheduled to begin.

At the time of writing, the NFL hasn’t cleared teams to hold minicamps just yet, but there has been speculation that they might do so in the coming weeks. The Jets, however, have simply decided that it isn’t worth the risk.

Generally, teams will run their offseason programs starting in late April running all the way through June. That program will typically end in a three-day minicamp in the final week of June before meeting up again a month later for training camp.

But this offseason has been unlike any other in recent memory. The Jets started their program on April 27th, two days after the conclusion of the 2020 NFL Draft. But instead of practicing in-person, meetings have been limited to digital video conferences.

The hope is still that the Jets and the rest of the NFL will be able to begin training camp on time in late July, but that remains to be seen. However, the lack of a minicamp means that the team will go well over a month in between meetings.

This obviously could have an effect on team chemistry with the organization welcoming in a sizable number of new faces this offseason. But don’t expect the Jets to be the only team affected by this.

Virtually any team that experienced significant roster turnover in the offseason will face similar challenges when it comes to getting acquainted. In particular, it could be very difficult for the new-look Jets offensive line to develop as a unit.

There’s a very good chance that the Jets will start five offensive linemen who have never played a down of regular-season football next to each other when the season does eventually start.

Every rep matters and minicamp is an essential time to develop chemistry and learn new plays/systems. Now, the Jets will have to welcome their new players without that benefit.
It should be a challenging process for the Jets, but at least we could take solace in knowing that they’re far from the only team affected by this.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully this team can gel quickly. The veterans should be ok, but rookies, like Becton really need the reps. Time will tell and even if it takes sometime, I believe this team will be much improved this season.

• Upvote 2

I think the teams with new Coaching staffs will be affected the most. Every team has new players each season, that's a constant.

Imagine coming into a new HC job and bringing a new staff in with you. You probably want to implement different schemes on both sides of the ball, while watching to see how your players would fit into them.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this, but if I had to guess they've had to scale way back from what their intentions were when they got hired. I'd give a lot of these guys a pass this year because of that.

Final note... It will be interesting to see how much this lack of offseason programs affects the level of play throughout the league. 

• Upvote 1

Not ideal.  But I imagine that just getting everything prepared for regular training camp amid the COVID conditions was huge task.  The rest of  the league s going to go through a similar process.  Nobody is going into the pre season as prepared as they'd want to be.  Or having seen their rookies and new players close up  & in action.

12 hours ago, Web72 said:

Jamal would rather sit home

I think we are seeing this from a lot of pro athletes. They've gotten a taste of doing what they want at all times. No practices, responsibilities etc...most have enough money. MLB is dead, the 2020 NBA season is scheduled to start in 2040...and the NFL is already cancelling mini-camps etc. I don't see the NFL season happening if the MLB and NBA dont go through, the players wont want to play/be the first league to re-open.

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

None of this SHOULD ever get political.  Human decency and respect shouldn't be split down party lines.

I agree but not all opinions are the same. I’m leaving it at that as this is a football forum. Thanks

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What good is " virtual " anything ? This is football , not video games .

They have team meetings and classroom work during OTAs and minicamps. They can get things done via computer. However eventually they have to get back on the field.

• Thumb Down 1

On 6/4/2020 at 10:13 AM, 14 in Green said:

I think the teams with new Coaching staffs will be affected the most. Every team has new players each season, that's a constant.

Imagine coming into a new HC job and bringing a new staff in with you. You probably want to implement different schemes on both sides of the ball, while watching to see how your players would fit into them.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this, but if I had to guess they've had to scale way back from what their intentions were when they got hired. I'd give a lot of these guys a pass this year because of that.

Final note... It will be interesting to see how much this lack of offseason programs affects the level of play throughout the league. 

It will be sketchy I would think first 3 or 4 weeks and then get better. Actually an opportunity for a team like the Jets to get off to a big start if the coaches can get the Jets more prepared.

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

They have team meetings and classroom work during OTAs and minicamps. They can get things done via computer. However eventually they have to get back on the field.

Do the players actually want to get back on the field is the question. MLB is looking toast. I dont buy the NBA comeback...NFL players will fight going to camp. It's going to be sticky.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Do the players actually want to get back on the field is the question. MLB is looking toast. I dont buy the NBA comeback...NFL players will fight going to camp. It's going to be sticky.

You bring up a very legitimate point.  

25 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

You bring up a very legitimate point.  

Both the athletes and owners not enjoying playing sports is becoming a thing. This is across all pro sports. Gut says there's going to be major push back from the players about playing this season. There was an NBA victory lap regarding their season apparently starting in 2 months, but the players have yet to sign off on that either.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Both the athletes and owners not enjoying playing sports is becoming a thing. This is across all pro sports. Gut says there's going to be major push back from the players about playing this season. There was an NBA victory lap regarding their season apparently starting in 2 months, but the players have yet to sign off on that either.

I don't believe any of the leagues, including the NHL, have an actual signed deal with the players for a modified season do to the pandemic.