If Adam Gase is relieved of duties (for whatever reason) would you be happy with Eric Bieniemy?

Intentionally keeping this vague, but just curious how posters feel about the "hottest HC candidate" that didn't get an offer this year.   

75 members have voted

1. 1. If Bieniemy was hired to replace Gase at the end of the season would you be happy?

Gase may get a long contract extension after taking the Jets to the Super Bowl this year.

Seriously though.  Who knows?  Wasn't Todd Bowles the next great coach after the leading the vaunted Arizona Cards defense?  Maybe Josh McDaniels finally puts its together.

4 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Gase may get a long contract extension after taking the Jets to the Super Bowl this year.

Seriously though.  Who knows?  Wasn't Todd Bowles the next great coach after the leading the vaunted Arizona Cards defense?  Maybe Josh McDaniels finally puts its together.

He was one of the top DC's in the league when he was hired here.  But the Peter Principle always guarantees there will be guys who should go no higher than being a Coordinator.

Difference with Bieniemy is, like I said earlier, Reid has taken particular interest in grooming him to be a HC.  That carries some weight.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Nope.

I've been vocal about how I dislike Bieniemy as a candidate.  I think he's nothing more than Matt Nagy 2.0 given that he's Andy Reid's version of Dowell Loggains and only designs, never calls, plays.  The one time he was given real OC duties at CU, he was absolutely awful and got a horrible reputation amongst his players that screams that he has no idea how to handle that type of power.  Lastly, he has a criminal history that would be destroyed in the NY Market.

Give me Greg Roman, who, honestly, has a far more impressive resume, has been doing it a lot longer, and doesn't have off-the-field issues.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He was one of the top DC's in the league when he was hired here.  But the Peter Principle always guarantees there will be guys who should go no higher than being a Coordinator.

Difference with Bieniemy is, like I said earlier, Reid has taken particular interest in grooming him to be a HC.  That carries some weight.  

Belichick didn't take a particular interest in Josh McDaniel?  OK, I get it.  The hot assistant is always looks good after the Super Bowl win and Bieniemy certainly deserves a shot but we have the Adam Gase and I'm confident.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Belichick didn't take a particular interest in Josh McDaniel?  OK, I get it.  The hot assistant is always looks good after the Super Bowl win and Bieniemy certainly deserves a shot but we have the Adam Gase and I'm confident.

The Patriots' organization is run on institutional cheating.  No Belichick assistant has or ever will have success unless he can bring Ernie Adams with him.  

And I liked Bieniemy before the KC Super Bowl run.

• Upvote 2

I'd be happy with Bienemy if he was the best candidate.

I'm calling BS here though, because you asking this question today makes me think you have another motive here. If that's the case why not just raise it, and lets talk about it for a few minutes before the thread gets locked. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was never one of the top DCs in the league.

I don't know if Bieniemy will be good or not but I'd certainly give him a chance based on the history of former Andy Reid assistants.  

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Patriots' organization is run on institutional cheating.  No Belichick assistant has or ever will have success unless he can bring Ernie Adams with him.  

And I liked Bieniemy before the KC Super Bowl run.

That's because they don't have Tom Brady, it's the same reason BB doesn't have success without Brady.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"On January 31, 2015, [Bowles] was voted Associated Press (AP)'s Assistant Coach of the Year for his efforts in the 2014 season."

Mike maccagnan was voted executive of the year.  He oversaw the 24th ranked D in 2014 and his D allowed 27 in a WC loss.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Went to the playoffs multiple years with guys like Jake Plummer and Brian Griese?

Drafted Cousins in the 4th round who has turned out to be a Top 15 QB in the league presently?

Changed up his entire offense to accommodate a guy like RGIII who went on to have one of the greatest rookie seasons a QB has ever had before blowing out his knee?

Shanahan is younger than Belichick and most people think Belichick still has another 5 years left in him. It’s not like Shanahan has just been sitting around getting rusty either. He’s been in an official consultant role with the 49ers for the last few years working closely with his son and John Lynch.

Jake Plummer made the playoffs with the Cardinals too.

Cousins has 3 less playoff wins than mark Sanchez.

RGIII was really good until injuries destroyed his career.

In 15 seasons without elway Mike shanahan had ONE playoff win, a home divisional round win in 2005.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I'd be happy with Bienemy if he was the best candidate.

I'm calling BS here though, because you asking this question today makes me think you have another motive here. If that's the case why not just raise it, and lets talk about it for a few minutes before the thread gets locked. 

I'm not even going to fall into your trap so I won't address it. Here is why I thought about this today though:

• It's June 4th, there's not a lot of football news available
  • Our HC is not on the firmest ground, a large portion of the fanbase dislikes him
  • We have a GM who just conducted his first FA and draft and has really put his stamp on the team
  • IF Gase is let go for whatever reason during or shortly after the season, Bieniemy would (as of today) be considered the best candidate
  • I wonder if Bieniemy would be able to take Sam to the next level based on his experience with Mahomes/Reid
  • I wonder how the rest of JN feels about Bieniemy
  • Create poll

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"On January 31, 2015, [Bowles] was voted Associated Press (AP)'s Assistant Coach of the Year for his efforts in the 2014 season."

Bowles is part of the reason I asked this. Are fans scared off because of how the Bowles tenure went, or are they willing to give Bieniemy a shot given his recent SuperBowl win?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Nope.

I've been vocal about how I dislike Bieniemy as a candidate.  I think he's nothing more than Matt Nagy 2.0 given that he's Andy Reid's version of Dowell Loggains and only designs, never calls, plays.  The one time he was given real OC duties at CU, where he was absolutely awful and got a horrible reputation amongst his players that screams that he has no idea how to handle that type of power.  Lastly, he has a criminal history that would be destroyed in the NY Market.

Give me Greg Roman, who, honestly, has a far more impressive resume, has been doing it a lot longer, and doesn't have off-the-field issues.

Isn't the criminal past from 20 years ago?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bieniemy is getting groomed to be a HC by Andy Reid.  That worked out pretty well for the Eagles when they hired Doug Pederson.

He'd be one of my top choices (if not my # 1), for sure. 

This. Sure he doesn't call plays, but no Reid disciple does and many of them have been great. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Isn't the criminal past from 20 years ago?

Yeah it is.  That said, a story like this one: 

On September 27, 1993, Bieniemy was arrested in Boulder, Colorado for allegedly harassing a parking attendant.[9] According to the police report, "Bieniemy was with five friends in a parking lot when he allegedly approached a lot attendant from behind and grabbed her by the neck. The victim told police the contact was not painful, but it startled her. She said the man also made comments while holding her."[10] As a result of this incident, Bieniemy was banned from the University of Colorado Boulder campus for one year. [11] 

...won't go unnoticed, especially in this day and age.  Then there's also the assault on a firefighter.

It would take less than 5 minutes for one of the beat reporters looking for a hot story to latch on to his controversial past and turn it into an absolute sh*tshow.

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This. Sure he doesn't call plays, but no Reid disciple does and many of them have been great. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Doug Pederson, the only one to experience recent success, called plays.

Even Matt Nagy was allowed to call plays.

Marty Mornhinwheg too. 

Reid will cecede control if he feels like you can do it.