Happy Birthday Sam Darnold!

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I know there are a portion of posters that don't think age necessarily matters, but 23 is pretty damn young yet.

6 months younger than Burrow and 9 months older than Tua and Herbert

It's not that I don't think his age matters, it's that when you have a job you are expected to do that job. 

If you can't do the job because of your age, someone else should probably be doing the job till you are old enough to do that job properly. 

Hence I do not see age as an excuse for poor performance in a job. 

Clearly, most folks see it all very differently, even tho no one would ever give any of them a break on their own job performances because of their age....

In any event, Happy Birthday to Sam. 

I look forward to seeing him live up to all that potential this coming season for our NY Jets.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not that I don't think his age matters, it's that when you have a job you are expected to do that job. 

If you can't do the job because of your age, someone else should probably be doing the job till you are old enough to do that job properly. 

Clearly, most folks see it all very differently, even tho no one would ever give any of them a break on their own job performances because of their age....

I look forward to seeing him live up to all that potential this coming season for our NY Jets.

It's not nice to bring negativity into birthday threads.

SAR I

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d like to extend a piece of advice to Sam that was told to me as a young, single lad and has served me well over the years. 

“If it smells too good, it’s a trap and you should leave it alone. It’s not supposed to smell too good.”

Smells like fish, tastes like chicken. Hold your nose and keep on...... i won't finish this because I don't know if it's ban worthy. Lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Alright - happy birthday Darnold.

Now - can we please forbid posts claiming he is "only 23 years old" from here on out? He's a 3rd year starter - a veteran player at this point. The average NFL career is 3.3 years. 

The 21-year-old Darnold will also make NFL history by becoming the youngest quarterback to start in Week 1 since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger. 

(That means he's not your typical 3rd year starter.  The average age of a starting NFL quarterback is 30.  SAR I)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How many 21 year olds are truly successful CEOs?  Some start up kids *have* that title because they invented something but it's generally excepted that they rely on seasoned executives until they either cash out (because CEO is not for them) or really grow into the role (see Zuckerberg).

This "tech CEO" is the only comparable real world example of a 21 year old asked to be the most important player on the team.  It takes time and some guidance.  Sam has now had both for 2 years and needs to take that next step forward.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Maybe because the analogy of pro football to ordinary jobs is terrible in the first place? I've never understood why people try to analogize pro sports (or anything unique to the point where comparisons to the ordinary are just silly).  Of course age and experience matter when you are physically battling stronger, more experienced and more mature men.   Not so much on many ordinary jobs like mine.  

So just so I know, at what age can we evaluate Darnold without his age being a mitigating/excusing factor?

24 in his fourth year?

25 in his fifth year?

Just let me know, thanks.

4 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

How many 21 year olds are truly successful CEOs?  Some start up kids *have* that title because they invented something but it's generally excepted that they rely on seasoned executives until they either cash out (because CEO is not for them) or really grow into the role (see Zuckerberg).

This "tech CEO" is the only comparable real world example of a 21 year old asked to be the most important player on the team.  It takes time and some guidance.  Sam has now had both for 2 years and needs to take that next step forward.

Juan Soto wasn't even 21, and was perhaps the single most vital player on the 2019 Nationals.  Without him, we don;t make the playoffs, we don;t win in the playoffs, and we're not the reigning World Champions.  So clearly some kids can rise to that challenge despite their age, even on the world biggest stage.  

I'm hopeful Sam can do the same.  

Just now, Warfish said:

So just so I know, at what age can we evaluate Darnold without his age being a mitigating/excusing factor?

24 in his fourth year?

25 in his fifth year?

Come on, man. He's only 23.

When we drafted him, every single poster here who talked about the pick said he was only a baby, and we'd have to wait years for him to grow into the job. Go back and look at the threads... nobody expected anything during his first contract, we knew better. 

It's not like people were comparing him to guys like Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers.

Nobody was saying he was already one of the best QBs they'd ever seen.

Nobody expected him to become a franchise QB before he was 25.

You have to be patient. We all knew this was going to take a while. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Juan Soto wasn't even 21, and was perhaps the single most vital player on the 2019 Nationals.  Without him, we don;t make the playoffs, we don;t win in the playoffs, and we're not the reigning World Champions.  So clearly some kids can rise to that challenge despite their age, even on the world biggest stage.  

I'm hopeful Sam can do the same.  

You know that is a false equivalency.  NFL Quarterback is the single most difficult position to play in all of sports. Young players can and do excel quickly at other positions and in other sports (especially when physical talent and youth can make up for lack of experience).  

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

24 in his fourth year?

25 in his fifth year?

29 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Come on, man. He's only 23.

When we drafted him, every single poster here who talked about the pick said he was only a baby, and we'd have to wait years for him to grow into the job. Go back and look at the threads... nobody expected anything during his first contract, we knew better. 

It's not like people were comparing him to guys like Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers.

Nobody was saying he was already one of the best QBs they'd ever seen.

Nobody expected him to become a franchise QB before he was 25.

You have to be patient. We all knew this was going to take a while. 

****ing guys can't even keep this crap out of a birthday thread? 

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

24 in his fourth year?

25 in his fifth year?

whatever is logical for the situation.  I know you want a hard and fast number...  you like those...  but common sense should tell you there is no exact number.  Age and health are definitely a pair of factors for those first two years . Feel free to check back in periodically to find out when age and experience are no longer factors.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

24 in his fourth year?

25 in his fifth year?

You evaluate him every year with the appropriate context. 

24 in his fourth year?
25 in his fifth year?

You can evaluate him. Make sure to compare other QBs at that age. Pick any you want in the history of the league and let’s see how Sam does. You going to search all decade to try and beat him

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Alright - happy birthday Darnold.

Now - can we please forbid posts claiming he is "only 23 years old" from here on out? He's a 3rd year starter - a veteran player at this point. The average NFL career is 3.3 years. 

That 3.3 years thing is so over and misused. It includes every UDFA player and practice squad signee that could only last a few weeks in the NFL. For instance, the average career for a 1st round pick is over 9 years. The average career for a player who accrues 3 years of pension-credited seasons is over 7 years. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

That 3.3 years thing is so over and misused. It includes every UDFA player and practice squad signee that could only last a few weeks in the NFL. For instance, the average career for a 1st round pick is over 9 years. The average career for a player who accrues 3 years of pension-credited seasons is over 7 years. 

The point is that Sam is not a wittle baby who should be coddled because "he's only 23 years old". He's a 3rd year starter and a now a veteran. 

• Upvote 1