Report: Jets Talking to Retired OL Kyle Long About Possibe Return

Kyle-Long.jpg

Perhaps looking to add some depth and mentorship along the offensive line, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News is reporting that the Jets have contacted retired free agent Kyle Long.

Sources: Jets have talked to former Bears Pro Bowl OL Kyle Long about coming out of retirement.

Story: https://t.co/40r7X6PFPP pic.twitter.com/bJVp5jZMJS

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) June 5, 2020

A once great player who has battled injuries in recent years, the Jets may view Long as a savvy veteran in the locker room and along their offensive line as a player who has the ability to step in and start in a pinch at right guard or right tackle.

While some fans may cringe at the thought of bringing back another retired offensive lineman after last year’s Ryan Kalil debacle, this would be far different as Long wouldn’t be viewed as a player who is expected to come in and take over as a starter.

The post Report: Jets Talking to Retired OL Kyle Long About Possibe Return appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
0GebrFn7l38

Click here to read the full story...

Interesting to hear ... has there been anyone besides Manish saying this is true?

despite the Ryan Kalil disaster, I like the idea that JD is willing to look under every rock.  I dont view this as a smart move in this particular case.

If we want him as a mentor, sign him as an assistant OL coach 

Not putting any credence to this story until I hear it coming from someone else as well

Jets should pass...Eagles though...

Kyle Long considering return to NFL

Offensive lineman Kyle Long always was outspoken when he played for the Bears and feels even freer to let it fly now that he’s out of the NFL, Jason Lieser of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

If you want to know what’s going through his mind, all you have to do is log on to Twitter.

In a series of tweets Monday, Long said he got “fired” by the Bears and is contemplating a return to football but would not play for the current staff.

“I didn’t retire I got fired,” Long wrote. “I will know with conviction whether I’m done for good or not in the next few weeks.”

He also wrote that he’s more likely to end up on the golf course than a football field, so it doesn’t sound as if he’s determined to come back.

Long said in January that he was at peace with retirement and described it as “the easiest decision I’ve ever made.” He didn’t like that the Bears forced him to go on injured reserve four games into the 2019 season but thought his play justified them moving on from him.

He reiterated that Monday, pointing out that coach Matt Nagy’s staff released him at the end of the season “and had every right to,” which he takes as a sign that the Bears wouldn’t be interested in having him return. It appears that feeling is mutual.

“I have supported this staff and the roster in the media since being released,” Long wrote. “Believe in the team and the coaches. But that doesn’t mean I would want to play for them.”