Warfish

One Posters Plea to the Members of JN

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

There’s plenty of other threads for you to talk about it. 

All of them are locked.

• Haha 1

I do have one possible solution/compromise.  A group PM for those who want to have this discussion.  

Tag me or, when this gets locked, send me a PM and I'll gladly set it up.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

I’m going to guess that Daniel Shaver and a bunch of others will disagree with you. 

Yes because one example makes the whole concept untrue.  

5 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I also think if Max will allow a heavily moderated thread on the subject it would be up to us to refrain from personal attacks.  There are some people I don't trust to do that.  However, I do remember Max saying that he can ban certain people from threads only now so that may be a good thing if anyone starts going off the rails.

It's easy to assume an attack on ideas is an attack on the person.  It's also easy for folks to resort to anger when their ideas are attacked.

As long as its only ideas that are being attacked, any discussion can happen without many issues.  Even one as emotional as what's going on in our country.  

Just now, Warfish said:

It's that this site isn't the right place to talk about it, and it's against the rules here.

Every site is the right place to be talking about it.  This as much as any other.  Take black players out of the league entirely and what would happen?

My vote would be to change the rules.  It doesn't require adding a politics forum.  It requires being willing to moderate topics (I know that's a tough ask) and not be so quick to lock them (also a tough ask).  

• Upvote 1

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

Honestly, as a person of color, it's annoying that when we have threads with serious discussion going on, the vocal minority have the power to post their ridiculousness and the thread gets shut down. I appreciated that posts were deleted but constantly locking threads is giving these people exactly what they want. 

We have tools at our disposal.  We have an awesome mod crew.  We have the ability to remove people from threads when needed.  And I get it, it's a lot to ask of our mods.

Less locking of threads would be great.

Like it or not, these threads are going to keep coming.  It's not going to simply pass by.  We can't ignore what's going on in this country and the world, at least not right now.  We need to treat this like a national tragedy, because it is.  And when national tragedies happen, we don't ignore them, even on a forum like this.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So is ignoring it when it happens to certain people because it doesn’t fit an agenda. It’s wrong on both sides. 

I never said we should ignore it.  We should mourn every wrongful death.  But most of the time when people say that, its just to deflect away from the matter at hand.  The black community is broken right now.  There SHOULD be outrage.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's an issue you need to take up with Max.  I don't think he agrees.

I would hate to see you, or JiF, banned.  But you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.  Just not sure what good you think you're doing on this forum by talking it here.

If what I am saying is ban-worthy, so be it.  I'm bringing it up in this thread because others have tagged Max in and the topic title opens the door to discussing it.  Your plea is to JN posters.  My response is a plea, of sorts, to Max.  It's not directed at you.

3 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

My question to you is what do you think of the idea of it being a cultural problem rather than a race problem?  I don't want to cause an argument with anyone here just want to hear another perspective on the issue.  

I think its both.  There are plenty of numbers out there to indicate there is implicit bias.  And there is information to suggest that racist policies of the past have hurt and continue to hurt people of color today.  Redlining is the big one there.  

Racism and classism BOTH exist, and are pervasive at a systemic level.  I just happen to think racism is the worse evil right now, since people of color tend to be hurt by both.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do you want people to rally behind you? Insulting them is not going to work. It never has, and it never will. 

Who did I insult?  I didn't make it personal about any person in this thread.  I am arguing with ideas, not people. 

I myself have white privilege too.  I'm just trying to understand what to do about that to help grow, change, and do something positive for others.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do you think that poor white people have it easier than poor black people? Nothing would indicate that other than opinion.

Nothing except for readily available statistics suggesting that that is exactly the case.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I just know what Political talk does on a football forum better then most.  It creates anger and division and conflict and bad feelings.  And that's on a normal Tuesday.  These days.....

It does that on any forum or medium.  

Problem with that argument is that this isn't about politics, or at least it should NOT be.  It's about basic human decency and respect.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company