One Posters Plea to the Members of JN

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

In other news a friend of mine decked a non-mask wearing customer in a liquor store today.

My friend confronted him about not wearing a mask and the guy came at him.  My friend is in his 50s but he is also a former golden gloves champ and put the guy down with one punch.  Part of me thinks that was the wrong thing to do but a bigger part is 100% supportive.  The fellow left the store apparently without completing his liquor purchase.  Poor baby.

He’d have a sore hand if he lived in Fort Lauderdale 

• Upvote 1

I also think if Max will allow a heavily moderated thread on the subject it would be up to us to refrain from personal attacks.  There are some people I don't trust to do that.  However, I do remember Max saying that he can ban certain people from threads only now so that may be a good thing if anyone starts going off the rails.

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

In other news a friend of mine decked a non-mask wearing customer in a liquor store today.

My friend confronted him about not wearing a mask and the guy came at him.  My friend is in his 50s but he is also a former golden gloves champ and put the guy down with one punch.  Part of me thinks that was the wrong thing to do but a bigger part is 100% supportive.  The fellow left the store apparently without completing his liquor purchase.  Poor baby.

Ooooh.  That had to be some shot.  It's why you never pick a fight with folks you don't know.  Next thing you know a former GGs champ is laying you out. 

Tell your buddy thanks for representing us seniors well.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why would my comments get the thread locked?  This is a league issue now.  We're here talking about the NFL 

I didnt see the mods say we couldnt talk about this issue.  They said dont make it political.  I havent mentioned anything political.  

Do you actually hear yourself right now? Haven’t mentioned anything political? C’mon man. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, EM31 said:

My grandfather trained fighters. When my cousins and I were growing up we were always wearing baseball or boxing gloves. I can't even count how many rounds I sparred in a ring before I turned 18.

Your friend obviously knows and was trained how to use his hands, so the fact that he started the confrontation and used them on a stranger was wrong. He's lucky he isn't waiting to make bail right now.

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sticking your fingers in your ears and not wanting to hear the truth is the problem.  The NFL could have been a catalyst to change, instead they were a resisting force to necessary change.  And now it's on the forefront again because players all around the league will be taking a knee again.   It's relevant and running and hiding from it is the problem. 

It's not that we shouldn't talk about it.

It's that this site isn't the right place to talk about it, and it's against the rules here.

No one is running and hiding.  I've written thousands of words on these topics....just not here.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I also think if Max will allow a heavily moderated thread on the subject it would be up to us to refrain from personal attacks.  There are some people I don't trust to do that.  However, I do remember Max saying that he can ban certain people from threads only now so that may be a good thing if anyone starts going off the rails.

It's easy to assume an attack on ideas is an attack on the person.  It's also easy for folks to resort to anger when their ideas are attacked.

As long as its only ideas that are being attacked, any discussion can happen without many issues.  Even one as emotional as what's going on in our country.  

In other other news i am racking my brain to try and remember what web sites i have visited recently.  I suddenly received several promotional emails for "manscaping" shavers.  One of them even featuring the picture of a swimmer under water in a swimming pool in goggles with a cap and touting the benefits of a waterproof manscaping product.

Seems like kind of an odd place to go about that stuff but whatever floats your boat....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes because one example makes the whole concept untrue.  

Do a few hours a research instead of just listening to the news. There’s hundreds of cases over the years. There’s bad people in every aspect of life and in every job. The media and celebrities only show one side because it fits an agenda. 

Just now, Warfish said:

It's that this site isn't the right place to talk about it, and it's against the rules here.

Every site is the right place to be talking about it.  This as much as any other.  Take black players out of the league entirely and what would happen?

My vote would be to change the rules.  It doesn't require adding a politics forum.  It requires being willing to moderate topics (I know that's a tough ask) and not be so quick to lock them (also a tough ask).  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Prez33 said:

Do you actually hear yourself right now? Haven’t mentioned anything political? C’mon man. 

I hear myself loud and clear, do you?  . I haven't mentioned anything about politics.  All my comments are directed toward the NFL and how they have the ability to help institute change.  

How do you think they will respond to the players taking a knee again this year?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Do a few hours a research instead of just listening to the news. There’s hundreds of cases over the years. There’s bad people in every aspect of life and in every job. The media and celebrities only show one side because it fits an agenda. 

If good people do nothing about the bad, then they are no better.

Evil is allowed to triumph when good men do nothing.

Being apathetic is what white privilege looks like.  "Hundreds" of examples don't change that it exists.  Just like millions of examples of good people don't remove the existence of racism.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

My grandfather trained fighters. When my cousins and I were growing up we were always wearing baseball or boxing gloves. I can't tell you how many rounds I sparred in a ring, even before I turned 18.

Your friend obviously knows and was trained how to use his hands, so the fact that he started the confrontation and used them on a stranger was wrong. He's lucky he isn't waiting to make bail right now.

Maybe so maybe not.  He was simply calling out what he felt was unsafe behavior.  Technically that might have "started it" but the other fella coming at him was the escalation which precipitated violence.  Self defense plain and simple.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not that we shouldn't talk about it.

No one is running and hiding.  I've written thousands of words on these topics....just not here.

I disagree.  The NFL is at the forefront of the conversation because they clearly miss handled their last opportunity to do the right thing and now going to have to face it on a much larger scale. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Or maybe because we entrust them to carry guns and enforce the laws?

• Upvote 1

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

Honestly, as a person of color, it's annoying that when we have threads with serious discussion going on, the vocal minority have the power to post their ridiculousness and the thread gets shut down. I appreciated that posts were deleted but constantly locking threads is giving these people exactly what they want. 

We have tools at our disposal.  We have an awesome mod crew.  We have the ability to remove people from threads when needed.  And I get it, it's a lot to ask of our mods.

Less locking of threads would be great.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If good people do nothing about the bad, then they are no better.

Evil is allowed to triumph when good men do nothing.

Being apathetic is what white privilege looks like.

So is ignoring it when it happens to certain people because it doesn’t fit an agenda. It’s wrong on both sides. 

• Upvote 1

Like it or not, these threads are going to keep coming.  It's not going to simply pass by.  We can't ignore what's going on in this country and the world, at least not right now.  We need to treat this like a national tragedy, because it is.  And when national tragedies happen, we don't ignore them, even on a forum like this.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sticking your fingers in your ears and not wanting to hear the truth is the problem.  The NFL could have been a catalyst to change, instead they were a resisting force to necessary change.  And now it's on the forefront again because players all around the league will be taking a knee again.   It's relevant and running and hiding from it is the problem. 

The point of this thread was not to get into a political debate, and now here we are. I hear you. Kap and every other player who took a knee was trying to bring attention to their cause, and a noble cause at that. However, the divisive nature of kneeling took the focus away from the cause and put the focus squarely on the kneeling. Right, wrong, or indifferent, you have to send a message that will be heard by the people you are trying to reach. If people are arguing about your chosen method of protest, you have to try something else. If the goal is to get people to understand your point of view, the worst thing you could do is offend them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So is ignoring it when it happens to certain people because it doesn’t fit an agenda. It’s wrong on both sides. 

I never said we should ignore it.  We should mourn every wrongful death.  But most of the time when people say that, its just to deflect away from the matter at hand.  The black community is broken right now.  There SHOULD be outrage.  

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I figured bestiality was going to far so I took a step back. 

Wait, so in your world, ****ing animals is worse than killing people, ****ing their corpses, and then eating them?