One Posters Plea to the Members of JN

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's an issue you need to take up with Max.  I don't think he agrees.

I would hate to see you, or JiF, banned.  But you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.  Just not sure what good you think you're doing on this forum by talking it here.

If what I am saying is ban-worthy, so be it.  I'm bringing it up in this thread because others have tagged Max in and the topic title opens the door to discussing it.  Your plea is to JN posters.  My response is a plea, of sorts, to Max.  It's not directed at you.

Just now, New York Mick said:

He’d have a sore hand if he lived in Fort Lauderdale 

Just now, EM31 said:

Understood.  The right to freely exchange droplets seems to be a regional assertion.

No kidding with the regional thing....

I'm going to drive up from SC to Long Island tonight. My daughter told me to make sure I wear a mask before I go into a rest stop or stop to eat. I went and bought some for the first time this morning.

I feel like I'm heading into a lions den, but I have to go up there for at least a month because of a family issue. Not looking forward to the trip...

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If good people do nothing about the bad, then they are no better.

Evil is allowed to triumph when good men do nothing.

Being apathetic is what white privilege looks like.  "Hundreds" of examples don't change that it exists.  Just like millions of examples of good people don't remove the existence of racism.

Do you want people to rally behind you? Insulting them is not going to work. It never has, and it never will. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, it's up to Max then if he agrees with you.  Clearly you don't agree with my OP.

I'm not sure people really disagree with the position fish.  Personally I thought it came across as a bit self serving mate.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

No kidding with the regional thing....

I'm going to drive up from SC to Long Island tonight. My daughter told me to make sure I wear a mask before I go into a rest stop or stop to eat. I went and bought some for the first time this morning.

I feel like I'm heading into a lions den, but I have to go up there for at least a month because of a family issue. Not looking forward to the trip...

The northeast got hit pretty bad.

3 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

My question to you is what do you think of the idea of it being a cultural problem rather than a race problem?  I don't want to cause an argument with anyone here just want to hear another perspective on the issue.  

I think its both.  There are plenty of numbers out there to indicate there is implicit bias.  And there is information to suggest that racist policies of the past have hurt and continue to hurt people of color today.  Redlining is the big one there.  

Racism and classism BOTH exist, and are pervasive at a systemic level.  I just happen to think racism is the worse evil right now, since people of color tend to be hurt by both.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I never said we should ignore it.  We should mourn every wrongful death.  But most of the time when people say that, its just to deflect away from the matter at hand.  The black community is broken right now.  There SHOULD be outrage.  

I completely agree but it’s been broken and it has a lot more to do with then just bad cops. 

Unfortunately it is being ignored. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, EM31 said:

In other news a friend of mine decked a non-mask wearing customer in a liquor store today.

My friend confronted him about not wearing a mask and the guy came at him.  My friend is in his 50s but he is also a former golden gloves champ and put the guy down with one punch.  Part of me thinks that was the wrong thing to do but a bigger part is 100% supportive.  The fellow left the store apparently without completing his liquor purchase.  Poor baby.

Rank amateur. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do you want people to rally behind you? Insulting them is not going to work. It never has, and it never will. 

Who did I insult?  I didn't make it personal about any person in this thread.  I am arguing with ideas, not people. 

I myself have white privilege too.  I'm just trying to understand what to do about that to help grow, change, and do something positive for others.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

I'm not sure people really disagree with the position fish.  Personally I thought it came across as a bit self serving mate.

Wasn't my intent, nor was it (as SAR said) Virtue Signaling.  I just know what Political talk does on a football forum better then most.  It creates anger and division and conflict and bad feelings.  And that's on a normal Tuesday.  These days.....

In any event, stupid me, it was still a mistake to post it, clearly.  C'est la vie.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

the fact of the matter is the proportion of minorities living in poverty is much higher than the proportion of white people

In absolute numbers, white people have a higher poverty level. What does the proportion of poverty have to do with anything? Do you think that poor white people have it easier than poor black people? Nothing would indicate that other than opinion.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Wasn't my intent, nor was it (as SAR said) Virtue Signaling.  I just know what Political talk does on a football forum better then most.  It creates anger and division and conflict and bad feelings.  And that's on a normal Tuesday.  These days.....

In any event, stupid me, it was still a mistake to post it, clearly.  C'est la vie.

All of back into  things with the best of intentions sometimes.

Perhaps it is time for another Jamal Adams thread.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do you think that poor white people have it easier than poor black people? Nothing would indicate that other than opinion.

Nothing except for readily available statistics suggesting that that is exactly the case.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I just know what Political talk does on a football forum better then most.  It creates anger and division and conflict and bad feelings.  And that's on a normal Tuesday.  These days.....

It does that on any forum or medium.  

Problem with that argument is that this isn't about politics, or at least it should NOT be.  It's about basic human decency and respect.

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Locked threads are better than willful ignorance.  All 50 states and 18 countries are protesting right now.  This is bigger than us, bigger than JN, bigger than football, bigger than just about everything.  It seems hollow to be trying to "stick to football" right now.  I'll do it out of respect for Max, but not without complaint.

And no, I don't want to join another board to talk about it.  There's actually been some good and rational discussions here, unlike the cesspools on other boards.  JN is better equipped to discuss this in a mature, thoughtful way than at least 90 % of message boards out there. I can just about guarantee that.

I love the sh*t outta you, but lol, no you won't.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I think its both.  There are plenty of numbers out there to indicate there is implicit bias.  And there is information to suggest that racist policies of the past have hurt and continue to hurt people of color today.  Redlining is the big one there.  

Racism and classism BOTH exist, and are pervasive at a systemic level.  I just happen to think racism is the worse evil right now, since people of color tend to be hurt by both.

I get it and also want to clarify when I say culture is that I mean the social aspect of life.  For example in a neighborhood with poverty, it may be more acceptable to be on welfare, drop out of school, be a drug dealer etc.  Not sure if those are bad examples but you get what I'm saying.