Adam Gase is Sitting on a Very Hot Seat

Adam Gase

Let’s face it. As a long-suffering but proud NY Jets fan there have been many decisions when it comes to head coaching candidates that the NY Jets have selected or have not selected that can frustrate a Jets fan. The most recent frustration for me as a fan is back to last year, after the Jets finally fired the emotionless Todd Bowles as their head coach and then selected Adam Gase, a coach from the same the division as the Jets that did not have a winning record (23-25 record with the Dolphins) and seemed to never have the respect of the Miami Dolphins locker room.

The Jets needed to hire a former coach with strong prior coaching experience. The hire that would have made the most sense was former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. No one was pursuing McCarthy last year as a head coach candidate and McCarthy even publicly mentioned that he wanted to coach the Jets. Of course, he meets with the Jets and they do not hire him and this past offseason McCarthy became the coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

If I were Jets General Manager Joe Douglas, this is a make or break year for Adam Gase. Either he can turn around the struggling NY Jets offense (as he often is mentioned as an “offensive guru”) or the Jets need to move on from this Gase experiment. The Jets have a tough schedule next year against the NFC West and the AFC West and they will need to get off to a good start to be competitive for a playoff position come December.

Gase needs to develop Sam Darnold as the franchise quarterback he was drafted to be close to three years ago by the Jets. I was happy that the Jets signed a mentor to backup Darnold in Joe Flacco, the former Ravens and Broncos quarterback, but I think Darnold needs more serious competition and could have had it if the Jets signed Cam Newton to compete with Darnold for the starting job. I honestly do not see Darnold having much success with a very mediocre receiving group and Gase not using Le’Veon Bell to help compliment the running game and the short passing game.

The Jets needed to make a splash this offseason by getting a new Offensive Coordinator, such as fired Cowboys coach Jason Garrett or another coach that was shown the door last season from the Redskins, Jay Gruden. Darnold needs to have a strong OC and a better Quarterbacks Coach. Why his former backup Josh McCown was not hired as Darnold’s Quarterback Coach makes no sense to me, especially since he had a good rapport with McCown when he was Darnold’s backup during his first NFL season.

The Jets need to make a coaching change if Adam Gase has another uneven season like he did last year. If I were Joe Douglas, I would hire a real offensive coach and Chiefs OC Eric Belliamy would be my top candidate. He comes from the Andy Reid coaching tree, has helped to make Patrick Mahomes an NFL MVP and he would help make the Jets exciting and a better team on the field. Gase needed to go… yesterday.

If the Jets having another season like last year, this needs to happen right away.

The post Adam Gase is Sitting on a Very Hot Seat appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Uqtejkl0EMU

Click here to read the full story...

• Thumb Down 2

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he’s not. lol. 5+ wins next season and he’s the head coach of the Jets in 2021.

People are wishing this to be true without any evidence or precedence to suggest it’s the case. Every HC under the Johnson’s has gotten at least 3 years.

He won't win 5 games and be back, they would have to fire him. Especially because the fan reaction is going to be more important next year.

Full stadiums again in 2021 need to be full. Can't bring back a 5 win coach.

Non issue though, this team is the real deal and will win the division.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Yeah.  We know.  Jets fans keep getting told.m this. Every few hours... every single day... of the week. There was an article criticizing him for having a windowless office.  Seriously.  Did this guy put laxatives in the tuna casserole provided in the Jets press lounge or something? 

This article is a JetNation original though.  :)

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This article is a JetNation original though.  :)

Yeah.  I didn't criticize the article.  I'm criticizing the frequency of the editorial slant used by the press.  I appreciate the work that goes into this site and the site articles.  But man.  I want the pre season press to start up soon. Or at least position group analysis... anything.  If I hear any more talk about trading Jamal I am gunna go bonkers. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, pdxgreen said:

Yeah.  I didn't criticize the article.  I'm criticizing the frequency of the editorial slant used by the press.  I appreciate the work that goes into this site and the site articles.  But man.  I want the pre season press to start up soon. Or at least group positional analysis... anything.  If I hear any more talk about trading Jamal I am gunna go bonkers. 

No, that wasn't what I meant. You can criticize anything we write. We are definitely fair game, no problem there at all.

When I saw you say the press lounge I thought you were saying a beat reporter wrote this. I get it now, I was just saying we are contributing to the misery with an original piece.  :)

@GREENBEAN did a video recently the case for Gase. In case you wanted more Gase content lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

No, that wasn't what I meant. You can criticize anything we write. We are definitely fair game, no problem there at all.

When I saw you say the press lounge I thought you were saying a beat reporter wrote this. I get it now, I was just saying we are contributing to the misery with an original piece.  :)

@GREENBEAN did a video recently the case for Gase. In case you wanted more Gase content lol.

Hell.  Why not.  I am a glutton for peak offseason doldrums.

• Upvote 1

He won't win 5 games and be back, they would have to fire him. Especially because the fan reaction is going to be more important next year.

You may be right. Just trying to prep people for the idea of Gase being here in ‘21.

Some think if we don’t make the playoffs he’s gone. That kind of thought process has no basis in reality.

• Post of the Week 1

I firmly believe that unless it's a complete disaster or some extraordinary candidate becomes available and you know you can get him, a GM should get 5 seasons and a coach should get 3, at the least.

Gase started as a disaster but we finished respectable. 

Unless we completely bottom out this season and get 5 wins or less, Gase will be back for year 3.

I havent seen anything from him to suggest he is a good coach. Almost all of our success last season can be attributed to our defense and Williams. The offense was putrid and that's Gase supposed speciality. 

Not saying Gase cant improve, and I hope he does. But we need to see a competent offense this season. A bottom 5 offense again and my patience will be done with Gase.

Here is hoping Gase proves all doubters wrong and Darnold takes a giant step.

• Upvote 1

I think there are some fundamental and deep seated relationship issues with Gase and how he relates to modern NFL players.  It gets in the way of any effectiveness he would otherwise have. 

The issue last season with Gase was not his record.  It is how the team looked and how often they were unprepared on offense.  

I am not optimistic for Gase in the long term. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Hack job cheap shot Gase bashing article....Manish style-

I saw Gase turn this team around last year. He put together an excellent coaching staff and in their first year the team was riddled with injuries. Freakish bad luck all around all year long.  miserable offensive line, second-year quarterback who contracted mononucleosis, and a superstar starting running back who hadn't played in a year and a half. How is Gase on the hot seat?

BONKERS IT IS!!!

Also I am sick of hearing about Miami. He wasn't the Jets head coach in Miami. Miami had a fire sale and a few players showed up on the map because they were out of jobs and needed to prove themselves? Big deal. I have not seen any of these players say anything negative about Adam Gase. As a matter of fact it's the polar opposite, his former players have praised him.

As far as Ryan Tannehill and a few other players that had a decent season last year whom apparently our terrible head coach was holding back, it's a ridiculous silly argument. Whatever happened to Jay Ajayi? He can't get a job at Burger King. Maybe you can go ask Nick Foles, Kurt Warner, and Doug Flutie about all the terrible coaches they had that held them back before they finally figured it out? Laughable!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Yeah.  I didn't criticize the article.  I'm criticizing the frequency of the editorial slant used by the press.  I appreciate the work that goes into this site and the site articles.  But man.  I want the pre season press to start up soon. Or at least position group analysis... anything.  If I hear any more talk about trading Jamal I am gunna go bonkers. 

There's one problem I have with the constant complaining that Gase didn't have the respect of the Dolphins.  He didn't have the respect of a couple of players, after they were traded.  Ajayi was said to be a problem and out of football one year later and Landry thought he was being punished by being traded to Cleveland.  Now he's happy.  

But more important no on on the Jets is complaining about Gase, no one is unhappy right now and that's all that should count, not the perception of a couple of malcontents in Miami.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The only thing I hope Gase proves this year is that he can take his head out of his @$$ and adapts on the fly with his game plans... If he can't do that and doesn't have enough of a playbook, then he should be toast. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There's one problem I have with the constant complaining that Gase didn't have the respect of the Dolphins.  He didn't have the respect of a couple of players, after they were traded.  Anahi was said to be a problem and out of football one year later and Landry thought he was being punished by being traded to Cleveland.  Now he's happy.  

But more important no on on the Jets is complaining about Gase, no one is unhappy right now and that's all that should count, not the perception of a couple of malcontents in Miami.  

I just said the same thing-

Btw feel better and get well soon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he’s not. lol. 5+ wins next season and he’s the head coach of the Jets in 2021.

I hate Gase (have since before we even hired him - you can check the records). I don’t believe he’s a good coach. If you’re looking at the Jets coaching history, something tells me you can look up Gase’s history too. My stance is fully supported by 5 years of data. 

I also believe Sam has shown enough to become the FQB here for another 2 contracts. He hasn’t put it together yet and there’s a long way to go, but there’s enough there to merit hope.

All that said, if the Jets win 5 games next year, both need to go or we riot.

I think most coaches are getting a free pass this year due to all the challenges teams are facing.  

I trust Joe Douglas but like most average Jets fans, the judgement still out on Gase. 

As unfair as it may sound, If Gase bums this year , JD should fire him regardless of the unprecedented situation the world of sports endured during the pandemic. 

JD will truly plant himself as a tough GM if he completely halts the mediocrity. 

Fire Gase if he sucks this year and that should be the bottom line.

• Upvote 3

I am not buying this as a "make or break year" for Gase.  The rebuilding effort comes with inherit risks.  If he does stupid things, then I agree they will get more attention than last year.  If the team bonds and some of the new faces do well, he will survive even with a 7-9 record.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I just said the same thing-

Btw feel better and get well soon. 

Man.  I think I've read one profile story of Gase.  One.  Now I don't know if that there is just lack of source material or just inability to get quotes regarding Gase's inner circle.  How can so much dialog around a coach be one sided BS. 

Here's the link:  https://theathletic.com/1117623/2019/08/07/adam-gase-has-his-eyes-on-much-bigger-things-for-the-jets/

That article was printed online Aug 7, 2019.  That's almost 10 months ago.  What kind of impressions do we get of our coach or has anybody bothered to collect any new ones?  The few Dolphins personnel interviewed in that article (Jeremiah Washburn, Ryan Tannehill, Frank Gore, Albert Wilson, Kenny Stills) have recollections behind a paywall.  Of course the few tweets by his former critics are going ring louder.  But what else is out there?  See.  This is where I have a problem with castigating one coach on a permanent basis simply because it creates good copy.  Coaching is a hard life.  It's an abnormal life.  But you have some head coaches that get relatively good shakes because their personalities make better headlines or their one lines make better headlines.  Even if they aren't a "friend" of the press.  A fan base should still get some hard coverage they can count on.  What we get is a never ending stream of speculative garbage.  Even when Rex and Bowles were here.  We had discussions about their coaching styles and their assistants.  Consensus board opinions about their capabilities and weaknesses. 

With Gase's crew...  What do I know about Dowell Loggains?  Oh!.  He looks like Patton Oswalt. And... He sucks.  What about Joe Vitt?  Saints fans told me they never had an all pro in his position group.  "Oh.  You'll hate him.  He sucks." But our linebackers were pretty good last year.  So he must have done a good job.  But you'd never know that since the dialog surrounding Gase's staff never raises above his own perceived flaws.  The massive  fan dust up always ends with dialog boxes saying with "GASE OUT!"  It doesn't matter what part of his regime we are talking about.  I get a lot of individual player analysis from the net.  But it's hard to gauge where things are going since every Youtube account and fan blogger has their own opinion.  There is never anything tangible to hang onto until preseason because it's constant click bait and hand ringing.  Feeding one untrue narrative that leads to more endless gossip.  Regardless of our results, the off seasons seem longer and longer. 

I think there is kind of an opinion that once we win things will change.  We will focus on the nuts and bolts of what makes the team run.  The coverage surrounding the Jets will improve because winning will give critics the headlines they want.  The news beat will become desirable when the Jets status improves.  Gase just has to win.  And then he'll have proven his worth to us and his critics.  Really?  Reaaally?  Or will league social media accounts just draw another line in the sand the Jets have to achieve and hurl raspberries because it makes good copy.  Gase's current predicament seems to me so much the result of this kind of thing.  His flaws were latched onto and then amplified. 

Heard about Adam Gase?  Yeah... He sucks.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People are wishing this to be true without any evidence or precedence to suggest it’s the case. Every HC under the Johnson’s has gotten at least 3 years.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You may be right. Just trying to prep people for the idea of Gase being here in ‘21.

Some think if we don’t make the playoffs he’s gone. That kind of thought process has no basis in reality.

It’s tough to envision JD handing Gase his release, aren’t they historically very close? 

5 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I havent seen anything from him to suggest he is a good coach. Almost all of our success last season can be attributed to our defense and Williams. The offense was putrid and that's Gase supposed speciality. 

This is the narrative, but one thing Gase demonstrated that he was quite good at was scripting plays to open a football game. Jets had gone maybe years(?) without an opening drive TD, then with Gase did it like four games in a row or something last year. Yes, then some long stretches in the game where the offense sputtered, but those opening drives suggest he's got some ability. 

The offensive talent was bad last year and I'm not completely convinced it's improved. Hopefully they did enough on the OL to get the unit up to respectable. There's a lot riding on JD's first two draft picks as a GM. This is why I keep talking about a slow start. I think it's inevitable. Once the team is up & running, though, Gase's in game play-calling needs to show signs of improvement, too. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

It’s tough to envision JD handing Gase his release, aren’t they historically very close? 

Yup.  They are supposedly friends from their time together in Chicago.  But, on the other hand, you spend 20 years working your way up from scout to NFL GM.  If your coach isn't getting the job done, you have to put the freindship aside and get the right guy in here. 

I am not a big fan of Gase, but I sure hope he gets it right this year.  I would hate to see another lost season with Darnold on a rookie contract and looking to start over again in 2021.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Yeah.  We know. Jets fans keep getting told this. Every few hours.  Every single day of the week. There was an article criticizing him for having a windowless office.  Seriously.  Did this guy put laxatives in the tuna casserole provided in the Jets press lounge or something? 

+1

There’s a pandemic and a race war going on simultaneously and firing the new guy who got a terrible roster to a 6-2 finish is what they’re concerned about now?  

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  They are supposedly friends from their time together in Chicago.  But, on the other hand, you spend 20 years working your way up from scout to NFL GM.  If your coach isn't getting the job done, you have to put the freindship aside and get the right guy in here. 

I am not a big fan of Gase, but I sure hope he gets it right this year.  I would hate to see another lost season with Darnold on a rookie contract and looking to start over again in 2021.

+1

If history has taught us anything it teaches us that GMs do not recover from a failing GM gig with the Jets.  Head coaches might get another shot somewhere else but GMs are done.  JD would know that and so he might have a shorter leash on Adam Gase than some others think.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

My feeling is that the folks here looking for mandates -total offense rankings, w/l record, etc.- are going to be disappointed. 

I want to see better than median offense. I can accept the detrimental effect of a disjointed relationship between HC & GM would have on performance last year. That doesn't seem to be the case now. Instead of getting one guy (Crowder) thrown in to appease the coach, Gase seems to be on the same page with his FO. (That Crowder choice turned out rather well I might add) Now that he has "his" guys I expect a competent offense. Add that to Gregg Williams' defense and I think you'd have to be looking at a playoff team. I'm not saying a playoff mandate, just a prognostication. 

All that said, I dont think his seat is remotely warm this season. The Johnsons are extremely patient with most of their hires. Gase gets all of this year and would have to mire around the bottom of the division yet again to set his seat on fire for 2021.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

5 wins with a healthy team gets him canned for sure. 6-7 wins goes into the grey area. 8 wins is safe. 

Greg Williams is a known commodity. The fans, ownership, coaching staff, and players all know what to expect. That will be something that's measured as being above average. Nearly nobody worried about what Greg Williams can do given the talent to work with.

Adam Gase, on the other hand, is very much an unproven commodity in the HC realm. His stint in Miami wasn't exactly impressive. With that said, CJ obviously saw something that he thought would for well in NY? So the onus is very much on Adam Gase to prove his worth in developing an offense. The fact is, the Jets offense is pure garbage and has been since about 2009. The offense also now has some talent within their ranks. So as of now, the excuse of not having any talent to work with is no longer a valid excuse. This season is very much a referendum on Adam Gase the HC. He either gets the offense showing at least some positive results of he gets fired. For me it's about that simple.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

3 hours ago, EM31 said:

+1

If history has taught us anything it teaches us that GMs do not recover from a failing GM gig with the Jets.  Head coaches might get another shot somewhere else but GMs are done.  JD would know that and so he might have a shorter leash on Adam Gase than some others think.

Exactly, at the end of the day, business is business. And I’m sure it will end up that way, if JD stays clear and focused, which he seems like he is any other time he does anything else 

let’s hope though that this GM/HC combo takes us to the promised land!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Not really 

he was hired largely due to feedback from Darnold and Manning to CJ

he got rid of maccagnan and brought in JD

he won 7 games with the nfl record for games missed due to injury with a roster that sucked to begin with 

he gets this year at an absolute minimum a 3rd year is probably at least 50/50

dont get me wrong, he drives me crazy, but I don’t think his seat is that hot 

• Upvote 3