Adam Gase is Sitting on a Very Hot Seat

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not really 

he was hired largely due to feedback from Darnold and Manning to CJ

he got rid of maccagnan and brought in JD

he won 7 games with the nfl record for games missed due to injury with a roster that sucked to begin with 

he gets this year at an absolute minimum a 3rd year is probably at least 50/50

dont get me wrong, he drives me crazy, but I don’t think his seat is that hot 

I think he gets an additional year more than likely but there is a win total that would make his firing practically automatic. 5 wins maybe not.  4 or less and he gets fired on black Monday.

<edited to add>

If this GM makes his mind up ion such a course I would not look for him to delay the actual firing while the best candidates are being snapped up by other teams as we have seen from Jets front offices in the past.

Cannot stand the narrative that McCarthy should have been hired. I didn't want Gase but I had McCarthy WELL below GASE. He is a complete dinosaur and not a very good coach IMO anymore. After a year in which there was a GB resurgence after he left continuing to insist he was the best choice is just not true. We will see the picture better after this year but McCarthy was not the guy. Also if we get McCarthy we might still have McCoffee. Dwell on that. I also think Gase's seat is very cold unless there is an epic collapse by the Jets, and the only way there is an epic collapse is if Darnold recedes and just is not the guy. Gase likely has at least 2 years before the Jets will consider firing him. Yes our offense sucked, but overall, especially with the end it's hard to say with a straight face that Gase wasn't at least competent last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, slats said:

T

The offensive talent was bad last year and I'm not completely convinced it's improved. 

Would love to hear your thoughts on why you think that. I think its improved dramatically but would like to hear why you think and how you would have approached it differently

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Would love to hear your thoughts on why you think that. I think its improved dramatically but would like to hear why you think and how you would have approached it differently

I’m not unhappy with what Joe D did, just that the job was huge and wasn’t gonna be done in one offseason. Lot’s of one-year deals, hoping someone sticks and then resigning them, I guess? I liked Robby Anderson, and I’m not convinced Perriman is an upgrade. The OL should be upgraded, but McGovern is the only guy I’m really confident is an upgrade. I’m optimistic about Fant but, as you’ve seen, that’s certainly not a universal opinion. I think a lot depends on Becton and Mims. If those picks really hit, then it will be vastly improved. Don’t love relying on rookies that way, though. 

And, of course, Darnold making a jump would go even further.

• Upvote 1

I am not a fan of AG but the article is off the mark.  My thoughts go along with some other posters who state that the O needs to be competitive, PC and adjustments better and Sam improving. 

If none of those things happen and they are as dysfunctional as they were at times last year, then I would think he would be on the hot seat or even fired if the team "performed poorly."   That would be esp true of SAM regresses...

6 hours ago, slats said:

I’m not unhappy with what Joe D did, just that the job was huge and wasn’t gonna be done in one offseason. Lot’s of one-year deals, hoping someone sticks and then resigning them, I guess? I liked Robby Anderson, and I’m not convinced Perriman is an upgrade. The OL should be upgraded, but McGovern is the only guy I’m really confident is an upgrade. I’m optimistic about Fant but, as you’ve seen, that’s certainly not a universal opinion. I think a lot depends on Becton and Mims. If those picks really hit, then it will be vastly improved. Don’t love relying on rookies that way, though. 

I know there are still questions.  I do know that but...

If the O-Line just makes a few more holes this year I think Bell is automatically more effective and we have other real options for carrying the rock or even receiving out of the backfield.  I think the running game will be better and that is going to give Sam more time when he does pass.  I don't think we need a dominant running game but I expect a credible one.

I think we will be much better unless maybe Becton is an ineffective sieve up front or we get another rash of injuries to key players. Yes. we lost Robby but overall we are anywhere from better to much better in terms of receivers depending on what Mims is able to do.  TEs are uncertain but they are also not a no.  Before last year I had our TEs as underperfom but this year I don't think that is such an automatic prediction.   If you buy into the whole 2nd year of the offensive and defensive coaches thing then there is also that. This argument never carried much weight in my mind. but it does pertain here

I usually suspect unbridled optimism but strangely I am in that kind of mood about our chances this year.  Clearly I must be channeling one or more of the sunnysiders.  I wonder which ones?

Are you expecting Specials to be worse or that we will have a substantially weaker defense?  I know we face some challenging offenses this year but do you think the defense is not going to stand up for itself at all?  I think there is real potential for us being better in every aspect of the game this year but even if one is better and the others are no worse then we have the chance to be a much better team IMO.

Plus NE are no longer the same team for the first time in many years.

Possibly a turning point when we all look back on it.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah I agree with all this. I thin Van Roten is underrated. Fant is definitely boom or bust maybe both in the same season. As you said we really need Mims and Bechton to be good. Herndon too

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Cannot stand the narrative that McCarthy should have been hired. I didn't want Gase but I had McCarthy WELL below GASE. He is a complete dinosaur and not a very good coach IMO anymore. After a year in which there was a GB resurgence after he left continuing to insist he was the best choice is just not true. We will see the picture better after this year but McCarthy was not the guy. Also if we get McCarthy we might still have McCoffee. Dwell on that. I also think Gase's seat is very cold unless there is an epic collapse by the Jets, and the only way there is an epic collapse is if Darnold recedes and just is not the guy. Gase likely has at least 2 years before the Jets will consider firing him. Yes our offense sucked, but overall, especially with the end it's hard to say with a straight face that Gase wasn't at least competent last year.

I wanted McCarthy. It was eye opening to me, how quickly GB turned around after his departure, tbh. I still believe he'll do well in Big D. All that said, the fact that he would be here with Macc it would just continue the failure. Gase brought in Douglas. For that alone, I'm good with continuing with him and give him a chance to show his offense improve. JD built up a line that should give him the opportunity to show his stuff. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2020 at 1:50 AM, Maxman said:

He won't win 5 games and be back, they would have to fire him. Especially because the fan reaction is going to be more important next year.

Full stadiums again in 2021 need to be full. Can't bring back a 5 win coach.

Non issue though, this team is the real deal and will win the division.

As I said in the thread that I started, the Jets will win 8 games this year.  8 games and he will be back for next season.    If he wins the division, be will win coach of the year, which is not going to happen.

17 hours ago, EM31 said:

I know there are still questions.  I do know that but...

If the O-Line just makes a few more holes this year I think Bell is automatically more effective and we have other real options for carrying the rock or even receiving out of the backfield.  I think the running game will be better and that is going to give Sam more time when he does pass.  I don't think we need a dominant running game but I expect a credible one.

I think we will be much better unless maybe Becton is an ineffective sieve up front or we get another rash of injuries to key players. Yes. we lost Robby but overall we are anywhere from better to much better in terms of receivers depending on what Mims is able to do.  TEs are uncertain but they are also not a no.  Before last year I had our TEs as underperfom but this year I don't think that is such an automatic prediction.   If you buy into the whole 2nd year of the offensive and defensive coaches thing then there is also that. This argument never carried much weight in my mind. but it does pertain here

I usually suspect unbridled optimism but strangely I am in that kind of mood about our chances this year.  Clearly I must be channeling one or more of the sunnysiders.  I wonder which ones?

Are you expecting Specials to be worse or that we will have a substantially weaker defense?  I know we face some challenging offenses this year but do you think the defense is not going to stand up for itself at all?  I think there is real potential for us being better in every aspect of the game this year but even if one is better and the others are no worse then we have the chance to be a much better team IMO.

Plus NE are no longer the same team for the first time in many years.

Possibly a turning point when we all look back on it.

good post.

i expect the specials to be better. the P alone will make a difference. and if we can get the K position sonewhat sorted that should help...just give me middle of the road, ffs!

i think the O will be better...   how much is the golden question.  Bell and thr Rbs will be better ...cos i just cant see the OL being as bad as they were and iam EXPECTING AT LEAST avergae ( 14-18th in the NFL) how the WR group gets open, or make 50/50 catches will be the about as important with a STEADY performance from the TEs....

the thing i will be watching closely is the completion % and YPA for Mims and Perriman...    Periimans cath % career is sub %50

and  last year was %52.2...  both less than RA.

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

good post.

i expect the specials to be better. the P alone will make a difference. and if we can get the K position sonewhat sorted that should help...just give me middle of the road, ffs!

i think the O will be better...   how much is the golden question.  Bell and thr Rbs will be better ...cos i just cant see the OL being as bad as they were and iam EXPECTING AT LEAST avergae ( 14-18th in the NFL) how the WR group gets open, or make 50/50 catches will be the about as important with a STEADY performance from the TEs....

the thing i will be watching closely is the completion % and YPA for Mims and Perriman...    Periimans cath % career is sub %50

and  last year was %52.2...  both less than RA.

I agree on Specials.  I think we may have more options in the return game in addition to your points but I think our coverage unit needs to hold up its end with the new "piss-missile" kicker back there.

Not sure how the defense can be worse with Mosely and others back healthy and QW with a year under his belt.  We face a tougher schedule so maybe this is a wash but i don't think we get worse overall on D.

Which leaves the offense about which I am quite excited.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I agree on Specials.  I think we may have more options in the return game in addition to your points but I think our coverage unit needs to hold up its end with the new "piss-missile" kicker back there.

Not sure how the defense can be worse with Mosely and others back healthy and QW with a year under his belt.  We face a tougher schedule so maybe this is a wash but i don't think we get worse overall on D.

thats one part i left out...    i think our overall D benefitted from a weak schedule playing the NFCE...so I am actually ecpecting a drop off from our 10th (give or take) ranked D last year...   buuuuuut!!!!

if we get increase INTs and SACKS and maybe FR...    it can  mitigate the yards per game...

our red zone D was decent...   we have to keep that up....   let 'em kick FGs...     we gotta keep them outta the EZ

56 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I wouldn't mind JD overpaying just a bit to get Ryan Logan signed. He would shore up the secondary and give GW more options and looks.

Again.... I dont have any faith in Gase being a good HC or OC for that matter.  A good coach, ALL good coaches, evaluate their manpower, realize what they are good at, and from there, design a system that best suits the talent of the manpower.  Gase is addicted to a particular system.  It is a fatal flaw.

That being said, the win-loss record is not nearly as important this season as showing overall progress towards consistently producing on offense.  

If the Jets win 9 games with below average offensive performance, Gase should go.  If the Jets win 6 to 9 games with excellent offensive performance, and they are competitive in those losses, Gase needs to stay.

We need to see consistent production on offense. Yards, time of possession, points scored, red zone performance, Darnold's development and so on.  

JD has masterfully afforded Gase a VERY workable stable of offensive lineman.  There will also be quality at the TE position, unique potential at the RB position (IF GASE KNOWS WHAT TO DO WITH BELL and a stable of WR"s that may not be superstars, but can be put to very good use by a good coach.  Not to mention a QB with special talents (IF GASE KNOWS HOW TO USE THEM)

2020 is the "PUT UP OR SHUT-UP" season for coach Gase...