I want to go to Jets games this year

17 minutes ago, nico002 said:

If thousands can safely protest people should be able to do the same thing sitting in a stadium. Let people police themselves. On the trajectory we are on I see the NFL resuming with fans in stadiums. 

Yeah I didn't think it was possible that long ago but now I think it is. The thought of going to a game in September after the way this year has gone so far. Wow.

Incredible. I have been going for a long time but this year will give me a new appreciation. You take things for granted after awhile. Not anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:52 PM, Maxman said:

That is all. I want to be there in person when the Jets play games this year.

Not sure if it will happen, but man I hope it does.

nico mentioned the protests. its basically a new data set on gatherings outdoors. as was teh holiday.

i very sincerely hope the outdoors aspect really drives the odds of transmission wayyyyyyyy  down....   we won't really know for a few weeks....

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2020 at 12:52 AM, Maxman said:

I'm on the fence.  I'm not sure even if we're allowed to go that I will.  Seats are packed quite tightly in MetLife.  There is no social distancing possible.  And the fights that will break out between those wearing facemasks and those being defiant?  Not pretty.

SAR I

On 6/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, nico002 said:

If thousands can safely protest people should be able to do the same thing sitting in a stadium. Let people police themselves. On the trajectory we are on I see the NFL resuming with fans in stadiums. 

There is no proof they have safely protested. That could take months to find out. Esp with so many younger protesters who might not get sick themselves but could be spreaders.  I hope you're right and I'm wrong. But I believe we should err on the side of caution. Esp when the real scientists are telling us to. The greatest thing would be for the virus to just go away. It hasn't. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

the next time HBO decides to film the world crapping on Larry David they should use the PC Richards Whistle

if the Military ever needs to find a replacement for "Taps" they can use the PC Richards Whistle

once, it used to mean the finest in imported stereo and electronic equipment

now it's 5 sad weird notes that makes half the males in the tri state area enter an instant depression

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I usually make two or three trips a year to road games.  Don't think it is gonna happen this season, and if it does, it will probably be a last minute trip.  

I might even have to splurge for DirctTV this year.  Usually I spend my Sundays in a bar with a bunch of friends watching the games.  Not sure what the next few months will mean for the bar business.  But with my first grandchild expected in October, the last thing I want to do is potentially expose the baby to this virus, assuming it will still be a concern in the fall. 

Sitting home watching games by myself may be my best option.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There is no proof they have safely protested. That could take months to find out. Esp with so many younger protesters who might not get sick themselves but could be spreaders.  I hope you're right and I'm wrong. But I believe we should err on the side of caution. Esp when the real scientists are telling us to. The greatest thing would be for the virus to just go away. It hasn't. 

This guy gets it.

We had our run with it in Early March,  couldn’t get a test at the time. Whole house positive for the antibodies.  Personally it doesn’t scare me, who really knows how much time you got left.  Got to live IMO.  We’ll be there to witness the suck for the 29th straight season if the given the opportunity.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

90% are wearing masks.

months? Wtf are you talking about? The incubation period of the virus is less than 7 days. Cases in the us went to the millions in less than one month (mostly undetected), you will know in two weeks if there was a significant impact from this. 

How long can you hold your breath?

If the rumors written on the mod lounge bathroom walls are true, you should be fine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

90% are wearing masks.

months? Wtf are you talking about? The incubation period of the virus is less than 7 days. Cases in the us went to the millions in less than one month (mostly undetected), you will know in two weeks if there was a significant impact from this. 

There are some people (not 90%) with masks but they are not 6 feet separated. And many of them take the masks off. There's tens of thousands of people. They are mostly young. There's a social atmosphere. And before that last week people were tear gassed and that did not help matters in terms of the virus. Lots of coughing and sneezing no masks.  And months might be a stretch but if people get the virus and are asymptomatic it might take time to analyze and trace it. Overall numbers went down because of the lockdowns in the US and other countries. But they are on the rise in some states other than NY and NJ.  And 1000 people a day are still dying. Look over 100K died in 3 months. We do not want to be part of another 100k. If that's the case no 2020 Jets season for some of us. 

59 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There are some people (not 90%) with masks but they are not 6 feet separated. And many of them take the masks off. There's tens of thousands of people. They are mostly young. There's a social atmosphere. And before that last week people were tear gassed and that did not help matters in terms of the virus. Lots of coughing and sneezing no masks.  And months might be a stretch but if people get the virus and are asymptomatic it might take time to analyze and trace it. Overall numbers went down because of the lockdowns in the US and other countries. But they are on the rise in some states other than NY and NJ.  And 1000 people a day are still dying. Look over 100K died in 3 months. We do not want to be part of another 100k. If that's the case no 2020 Jets season for some of us. 

The people dying today caught the virus a month ago.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

What so many folks gloss over is the staggering number of dead people from COVID-19.  As of now, Johns Hopkins reports 404,021 deaths worldwide, 110,734 here in America.   Let that sit.  And who knows how many more cases are not even being reported or correctly classified?  Until we have a cure, therapy or vaccine, putting 80K spectators in a stadium just seems like a recipe for more infection.

And people policing themselves?  Forget it.  Tons of folks at these protests are not even wearing masks.  Others are walking around eating food, hugging, etc.  Especially after few brews, many fans at games will abandon any caution they may have had walking into the stadium.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

There is some news today about asymptomatic transmission of the disease, from the WHO.  If the news hold to be true, I have a pretty good feeling you will able to get your wish.  Dang bear everyone might 

What info?  Please share the link.  

53 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

What so many folks gloss over is the staggering number of dead people from COVID-19.  As of now, Johns Hopkins reports 404,021 deaths worldwide, 110,734 here in America.   Let that sit.  And who knows how many more cases are not even being reported or correctly classified?  Until we have a cure, therapy or vaccine, putting 80K spectators in a stadium just seems like a recipe for more infection.

And people policing themselves?  Forget it.  Tons of folks at these protests are not even wearing masks.  Others are walking around eating food, hugging, etc.  Especially after few brews, many fans at games will abandon any caution they may have had walking into the stadium.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, I honestly don’t know the answer.

i saw the NYT front page, and know about the 100,000 deaths. How does that number compare to the number who die from “the flu” within the same period in any other year?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

i saw the NYT front page, and know about the 100,000 deaths. How does that number compare to the number who die from “the flu” within the same period in any other year?

it’s higher, about 60k die from the flu on a peak year in the US. Flu deaths include children and young adults in higher numbers though, virtually everyone who has died of covid is over 70 or had a serious pre existing condition. 

once a vacccine is avail for covid it will become an irrelevant disease.

some other stats for perspective 

700k people have died of aids this year 

2.1M deaths caused by smoking this year 

500k suicides this year 

9M die of hunger every year 

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I assume this is what he is referring to:

Yes, that's it.  If that is true, that is a game changer, to a certain extent. Still not a "game over, we win" moment but big.

I have some other thoughts related to viral load and a few other things, but I don't think this is the platform .

Hopefully the WHO is right this time.

17 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

What info?  Please share the link.  

Sorry for not including the link originally.  I didn't know how much Max wants to tolerate with the Covid discussion, so I left it out allowing people to find for themselves.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

I assume this is what he is referring to:

Thanks very much.  If proven true, fantastic--and welcome--news.

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I don't know either.  I read this earlier about shutdowns.   Pretty eye-opening.

Shutdown orders prevented about 60 million novel coronavirus infections in the United States and 285 million in China, according to a research study published Monday that examined how stay-at-home orders and other restrictions limited the spread of the contagion.

A separate study from epidemiologists at Imperial College London estimated the shutdowns saved about 3.1 million lives in 11 European countries, including 500,000 in the United Kingdom, and dropped infection rates by an average of 82 percent, sufficient to drive the contagion well below epidemic levels.

The two reports, published simultaneously Monday in the journal Nature, used completely different methods to reach similar conclusions. They suggest that the aggressive and unprecedented shutdowns, which caused massive economic disruptions and job losses, were effective at halting the exponential spread of the novel coronavirus.

“Without these policies employed, we would have lived through a very different April and May,” said Solomon Hsiang, director of the Global Policy Laboratory at the University of California at Berkeley, and the leader of the research team that surveyed how six countries — China, the United States, France, Italy, Iran and South Korea — responded to the pandemic.

His team estimated that, in the initial days after the virus was seeded in each country, and before the shutdowns, the number of infections was doubling every two days.

“The disease was spreading at a really extraordinary rate that is rare even among very infectious diseases,” he said in an interview. The global response to covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, resulted in “saving more lives in a shorter period of time than ever before,” he said in a separate conference call with reporters.

The two reports on the effectiveness of the shutdowns come with a clear warning that the pandemic, even if in retreat in some of the places hardest hit, is far from over. The overwhelming majority of people remain susceptible to the virus. Only about 3 percent to 4 percent of people in the countries being studied have been infected to date, said Samir Bhatt, senior author of the Imperial College London study.

“This is just the beginning of the epidemic: we’re very far from herd immunity,” Bhatt said Monday in an email. “The risk of a second wave happening if all interventions and precautions are abandoned is very real.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/08/shutdowns-prevented-60-million-coronavirus-infections-us-study-finds/

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Sorry for not including the link originally.  I didn't know how much Max wants to tolerate with the Covid discussion, so I left it out allowing people to find for themselves.

No worries at all.  I had not seen that report and wanted to know its origin.  Thanks very much for bringing it to our attention.

25 minutes ago, nico002 said:

it’s higher, about 60k die from the flu on a peak year in the US. Flu deaths include children and young adults in higher numbers though, virtually everyone who has died of covid is over 70 or had a serious pre existing condition. 

once a vacccine is avail for covid it will become an irrelevant disease.

some other stats for perspective 

700k people have died of aids this year 

2.1M deaths caused by smoking this year 

500k suicides this year 

9M die of hunger every year 

I don’t buy that argument. If you’re going to do that you can add natural deaths to that too and that’s a lot more. And COVID won’t be irrelevant because other coronaviruses are still around and dangerous. Look this is a new disease and right now they are still trying to understand it and get a treatment. They do know it’s highly contagious and that’s why you don’t want large crowds including demonstrations. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don’t buy that argument. If you’re going to do that you can add natural deaths to that too and that’s a lot more. And COVID won’t be irrelevant because other coronaviruses are still around and dangerous. Look this is a new disease and right now they are still trying to understand it and get a treatment. They do know it’s highly contagious and that’s why you don’t want large crowds including demonstrations. 

Great news recently that COVID-19 is not easily spread from surfaces.  You can still contract it, but much less likely than from virus in droplets which we expel by talking, screaming, laughing, etc.  So something as simple as wearing masks in public/social settings makes a huge difference.

Maxman, do you have season tickets, or do you purchase per season/game?

51 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Natural deaths? What? Other coronaviruses? Like the common cold? You’re clearly uninformed.