Ethics of Switching Teams

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I would never do it.  Those are my thoughts.

Take a casual interest in the new team in my area?  Sure.  Replace my original team?  No way.  

Modern Television  allows anyone to view every game of any team they choose.

I agree with you. I think as kids we’re passion driven and that gives way largely to logic when we grow up. I don’t think you can replace the home team.

i think you brought up the point that I’m more interested in, which is the casual interest in the new team. I think some people might take issue with even that.

and then wen you have kids and you can potentially bring them to games for the new home town, does that play a part in the decision moving forward

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

One often holds on to ones original team however, unless the new city/team is a die hard rival, in time you find yourself showing more interest in that new team, even if not downright cheering for them and of course if they d really well you get dragged along for the ride.

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I agree with you. I think as kids we’re passion driven and that gives way largely to logic when we grow up. I don’t think you can replace the home team.

i think you brought up the point that I’m more interested in, which is the casual interest in the new team. I think some people might take issue with even that.

and then wen you have kids and you can potentially bring them to games for the new home town, does that play a part in the decision moving forward

Since moving here, the two teams that I have taken a casual interest in are the Brewers and Packers.  I think idenitify more with the fans of the Chicago rivals than the Chicago teams themselves.  And I would rather drive up to Milwaukee for a baseball game than go to Wrigley.  Easier drive, less expensive, great tailgate environment, better seats available. 

As a Jets / Yankees / Knicks fan, I've been living in the SF bay area for 10 years now.  I have no problem casually rooting for the 49ers, Giants, and Warriors.  But I really don't care, and don't spend time following them.

Kids born or growing up in the new place, though, that's a completely different story...  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

After you make a permanent or potentially permanent move, what are your thoughts on a change in interest to the new home team?

Ethics dictate you follow your self interest and root for whatever team you want but its hard to change loyalties.  We moved to South Dakota in the early 90s.  The Jets were in another bad stretch of seasons.  Our TV stations mainly showed the Broncos and the Vikings.  I always admired John Elway's game so I started rooting for the Broncos in the hopes of making it permanent.  Jets meet Broncos in AFC Championship Game my heart pulls for the Jets.  I acknowledge my heart and have pulled for the Jets since.  It also can be done.  We moved to San Antonio in early 2005 and got swept up in Spurs mania and just the way they played the game.  I grew up a Knicks fan but Isiah Thomas ran the team into the ground and the Spurs were competing for championships.  I couldn't name 3 players on the Knicks today and I love the Spurs even though the championship types players are gone.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Since moving here, the two teams that I have taken a casual interest in are the Brewers and Packers.  I think idenitify more with the fans of the Chicago rivals than the Chicago teams themselves.  And I would rather drive up to Milwaukee for a baseball game than go to Wrigley.  Easier drive, less expensive, great tailgate environment, better seats available. 

That seems reasonable.  I lived in Boston for my college years and two years after.  I continued to despise all of the local teams there because of the rivalries.  If I was in the midwest or out west, I think I could casually be a fan of the local teams except where it conflicted with my fandom for Mets/Jets/Knicks etc.  Those are permanent scars on my soul.  

• Upvote 2

IMO the only way you change teams is if your team leaves. Not the other way around. I have no issues with Oilers fans not following the team to Tennessee or all the moving the Rams and Raiders have done. If the Jets left the tri-state area, i'd be done. I'll just be a browns fan. 

• Post of the Week 3

I've never lived in one place for more than five years in my life but spent most of my time in NY and never once thought about rooting for a team where I was living.  Over the years I lost interest in the Yankees, Knicks and Rangers but never rooted for a non NY team.  It's just against the rules.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 2

I wouldn't hold it against someone for switching teams if they moved to another city.

That person might love going to baseball games and wants to attend 20+ games a year.  Are they not supposed to love the new team?

Now if you didn't relocate to another city or are a fan of an out of town team, switching is a bitch move. 

When the Niners were really good, I lived in the SF Bay Area for about 10 years.  During that time, I'd always walk around with my Jet gear, especially my prized satin Starter jacket.  Man, did I get a lot of grief.  One time, I had folks yelling, "The Jets suck!" from their car.  lol

• Upvote 1

I left Ny in 1977 and have since lived in Orlando, Las Vegas and now Phoenix and I don't root for any of those home teams. I was a Jets fan from their 1st day of existence and will be to the day I die.  Which I hope will not be for a while

• Haha 2

I retired last year in upstate NY and moved to Florida.  I am a Jets, Mets, Knicks and Rangers fan. I will always be those teams fan. Last year, I went to the Jets-Dolphin game down here, and went up to see the Jets-Raider game up in New Jersey Took my 3 grandsons to their first football game as well as my 4 children. Jets won that game 34-3. My kids all are big Jets fans and will always be.

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

IMO the only way you change teams is if your team leaves. Not the other way around. I have no issues with Oilers fans not following the team to Tennessee or all the moving the Rams and Raiders have done. If the Jets left the tri-state area, i'd be done. I'll just be a browns fan. 

The former Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens but the Browns name stayed in Cleveland and went to the new team there.. However it must piss of some old Browns fans that the Ravens have won 2 Bowls since they left..](*,)

• Upvote 2

I can’t imagine anyone ever genuinely being a big fan of a new franchise.

I will always be a Jets fan.

Since moving to Texas, I’ve started supporting local HS teams and college teams. But that’s a new arena for me. I also support the Spurs G league team also. All these teams are right near me and have lot of fun kids activities. So it’s nice for the family. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Milwaukee is an underrated town in general.  I love going to games at Miller Park.  Also would pick it over Wrigley 100 times out of 100.  After going to Wrigley once and breathing in the history, there isn't much left to offer.

In my area of Iowa we get a pretty equal mix of Bears, Packers and Vikings fans.  My view is Packers fans are the worst, but they all have their drawbacks.  I think the worst fanbase in Chicago sports is Black Hawk fans.  They absolutely grate on my nerves and I don't even really watch hockey 

All the "lifelong" Chiefs  fans coming out of the woodwork the last few years are closing in on the worst though 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BrickTamland said:

After you make a permanent or potentially permanent move, what are your thoughts on a change in interest to the new home team?

Depends? Like if I moved to a crazy hockey town I'd probably switch because I'm not a big hockey fan. I root for the rangers but I haven't watched a game in 5 years. I'd never switch football or baseball because I'm actually a Jets and Yankees fan.

• Thumb Down 1

The one thing I think people who switch allegiances should practice is knowing when to STFU when speaking about sports with diehards.

For instance,..you are now a Dolphins fan because Tua gives you a chubby. Fast forward to the first game Dolphins/Jets faceoff and Dolphins win by 2. You don’t get to talk sh#t and rub it in my face, cause if they lost you wouldn’t even give a sh#t.

These are the worst kind of sports fans. 

2 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

I left NY when I was ~11 to move to DC/VA. 

I'm now in my mid-40's.

I did not change my NFL team, even tho there are many days I wish I did.

I never really loved NY Baseball teams (although I recall the 86' Mets very fondly), so my switch to the Nats when they finally came back was easy and painless.

End of the day, it's just sports, do whatever makes you happiest.  Being a "local fan" is a million times better than being an out-of-town fan, so I certainly get the thought, especially when the team is as bas as the Jets have been.

• Upvote 1

I think I'd be more likely to boycott a coach/player/owner rather than the team itself. I'll always be a Jets fan regardless of how terrible we may be. If I did move out of the area I could see myself liking a local team in another sport but I can't envision myself not being a Jets fan.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

Depends. I moved to NE, so ... hard no.

Before that, I lived in the Midwest and while I didn’t ‘change teams’, I was happy to cheer on the Bears and Colts who all my people were fans of. They in turn cheered the Jets. Good people.

Pats fans can eat all the dicks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2