Ethics of Switching Teams

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Depends. I moved to NE, so ... hard no.

Before that, I lived in the Midwest and while I didn’t ‘change teams’, I was happy to cheer on the Bears and Colts who all my people were fans of. They in turn cheered the Jets. Good people.

Pats fans can eat all the dicks.

Please, "Mass-holes".  Thank you.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Depends. I moved to NE, so ... hard no.

Before that, I lived in the Midwest and while I didn’t ‘change teams’, I was happy to cheer on the Bears and Colts who all my people were fans of. They in turn cheered the Jets. Good people.

Pats fans can eat all the dicks.

Yeah, I’m always gonna be a Jet fan first, but I could see taking on my new local team as a new second favorite. It would all depend on what I thought of the local fans. If they gave me a lot of not-so-great natured crap about the Jets, I’d be like, “**** this team.” If they were cool, and felt my pain and all, sure. 

But not in Boston or Miami. I’d still follow the local team, but only so I could be a semi-educated dick out in public. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, I’m always gonna be a Jet fan first, but I could see taking on my new local team as a new second favorite. It would all depend on what I thought of the local fans. If they gave me a lot of not-so-great natured crap about the Jets, I’d be like, “**** this team.” If they were cool, and felt my pain and all, sure. 

But not in Boston or Miami. I’d still follow the local team, but only so I could be a semi-educated dick out in public. 

i've rooted for the local Cali teams where I have lived as a fall back when or if my teams are out of it. Sandy Eggo aint never won sh*t, so I can feel right at home w/ their fans. In SF I was here BEFORE it went off with the Giants winning for the foirst time ever...   it was cool to see howe enthused the fans were, i was rooting more for the suffering fans thann the team...   old dudes in their 60's and 70's at the bowling alley bar...

only time i ever switched was after being broken by the 73 mets ( i was 6) ...thats when i fell into love w/ the Jets...   then my old man was rooting for the the 75 Sox cos he was anti-Yankees...   and i thought, diff league, fun team...and been a Sox fan since...  ( the anti Yankee thing is too delicious)

otherwise i been stuck with Rangers Kicks Jets

The Jets were never even my local team, so personally I see no reason for ever switching up. To each their own, I guess, but I admire loyalty to a single team. Like @Lith said, the teams you grew up rooting for are for life. I can't imagine ever forging a connection to another team as strong as the one I have with the Jets.

I became a USC Trojan fan when I was like 8 because of R Peete and Seau

by time I was like 20, I said why am I rooting for a west coast, p$ssy team.  And tried switching to penn st or Ohio st or something, big ten, tough north football

but it didn’t stick, still root for SC to this day.  Almost impossible to switch your favorite team from when you’re young 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, slats said:

100%

I make it a point to know more about the Patriots than their own fans do. It's a complex way of telling them to shut up in social settings, without ever saying "shut up".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

this is a good topic

Jets, Devils, Knicks easy for me to stick with

Baseball F'd me up though ... cousin in DC who got me into baseball as a kid got me rooting for the Baltimore Orioles.

Then Nats came into existence and he dropped his allegiance to O's & started rooting for the Nats ... WTF Cousin Pat !!!!!!

Moved to Atlanta 25 years ago right next to Atlanta Braves stadium ... my kid loves the Braves ... still root for O's ... now also root for Braves ... I'm sure I will never have to worry about it ... but IF they happened to meet in the world series I do not know who I'd root for

44 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

The Jets were never even my local team, so personally I see no reason for ever switching up. To each their own, I guess, but I admire loyalty to a single team. Like @Lith said, the teams you grew up rooting for are for life. I can't imagine ever forging a connection to another team as strong as the one I have with the Jets.

Yeah the Jets were my choice but not the local team. I paid little attention to the Patriots growing up (not many did here) I didnt throw all those footballs as R Todd and Kenny O in the back yard for nothing, so Im not changing now. I got tenure.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Yeah the Jets were my choice but not the local team. I paid little attention to the Patriots growing up (not many did here) I didnt throw all those footballs as R Todd and Kenny O in the back yard for nothing, so Im not changing now. I got tenure.

Yep. Nice to see another "out-of-market" fan, such as myself. We're already in this too deep. Any change now would feel hollow. Like it or not, we bleed green for life.

Plus, I gotta believe, with my luck, that the moment after I renounce my Jets fandom is when their dynasty starts. lol

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Milwaukee is an underrated town in general.  I love going to games at Miller Park.  Also would pick it over Wrigley 100 times out of 100.  After going to Wrigley once and breathing in the history, there isn't much left to offer.

In my area of Iowa we get a pretty equal mix of Bears, Packers and Vikings fans.  My view is Packers fans are the worst, but they all have their drawbacks.  I think the worst fanbase in Chicago sports is Black Hawk fans.  They absolutely grate on my nerves and I don't even really watch hockey 

All the "lifelong" Chiefs  fans coming out of the woodwork the last few years are closing in on the worst though 

Agreed.  I usually spend the weekend up there when the Mets are in town.  A couple of games, a couple of breweries, meeting up with a bunch of Chicago area Met fans is a great way to spend a weekend.  As to Wrigley, it is a bucket list item, but once you have crossed it off the list, there is no reason to rush back.

Nothing could have been worse though than all the "lifelong" Cubs fans in 2016.  I hate the Cubs, but felt good for some of my friends who I know have been Cub fans for decades, but there were so many bandwagoners who suddenly became fans a few years ago, but never gave two sh*ts about the Cubs when they sucked,

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

I moved to Chicago 20 years ago.  Jets/Mets/Islanders fan all my life and nothing has changed.  Cannot root for Chicago teams.  I am a NYer and always will be despite where I may live.  Have also met a lot of other transplated NYers living in Chicago area based on our shared love for our teams.

The teams you learn to love as kids are your teams for life.  At least that has been the way it is for me.

I think I would stay with my number 1, but I’d probably adopt a local team, especially in Chicago where the atmosphere is so supportive of sports. Tough city to stay celibate in lol. 

33 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yep. Nice to see another "out-of-market" fan, such as myself. We're already in this too deep. Any change now would feel hollow. Like it or not, we bleed green for life.

Plus, I gotta believe, with my luck, that the moment after I renounce my Jets fandom is when their dynasty starts. lol

I wouldn’t’ve pegged you (hey now!) as an out-of-towner. You’ve got the local sense of humor down. How did it come about? Were you an avid reader of MAD and thought, “I like NY, I think I’ll root for their funnier team!” 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I think I would stay with my number 1, but I’d probably adopt a local team, especially in Chicago where the atmosphere is so supportive of sports. Tough city to stay celibate. in lol. 

I don't know.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Maybe it is that NY v Chicago thing.  Or because the Mets and Cubs were Divisional Rivals when I was growing up.  Could not bring myself to root fo any Chicago teams. 

When I was in school in Georgia, I did root for the Braves, but they were still in the Western Division then. Once they moved to the East (and i moved back north) and they began to dominate the Division, I learned to hate the Braves with every fiber of my being. 

24 minutes ago, slats said:

I wouldn’t’ve pegged you (hey now!) as an out-of-towner. You’ve got the local sense of humor down. How did it come about? Were you an avid reader of MAD and thought, “I like NY, I think I’ll root for their funnier team!” 

lol Not quite. The real reason makes a lot less sense than that.

As a young kid I wanted to copy everything my older brother did and liked, including being a Jaguars fan. Well, he didn't like that, and berated me until I picked my own team. Not knowing many teams, I asked him to rattle some off, and when he said "the Jets" my ~8 year old brain went: "hey, I like jet planes, they must be a really good team".

And, thus, my fandom, and my curse, was born.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I live in south Florida, but my heart is New York.  I'm in Dolphins Country.  We Jets fans could have had 4 Lombardis as Giants, and we remained loy

I'm a  Jet, and like a previous poster, lost some interest in the Knicks and Mets, but never to switch to Fla. teams NEVER!

Jets fan Tony.jpg

• Upvote 2

No way. I lived in New Jersey my whole life but moved to Charleston, SC last year. I think I'm more of a Jets fan now then I've ever been. In addition, I have four kids and always want then to see that I was loyal to the teams they grew up with. 

One note: After having two daughters attend Clemson and after moving here, I am also now a Tiger fan.

I’m a transplant from north Jersey to outside Philadelphia for over 30 years and still root for Jets, Mets, Knicks and Rangers. My son raised here and is big Eagles fan. I know many transplants who root for the Philly teams but I would never. I brought my wife with me from Jersey and didn’t change her either!

8 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

After you make a permanent or potentially permanent move, what are your thoughts on a change in interest to the new home team?

asking this question on ANY team message board is bound to produce 999-1 against switching......just saying.  

From Long Island, moved to Maine when I was young. Still a die-hard Jets fan. Cannot, under any circumstances, even so much as compliment the patsy organization. Always hated them and their recent success/dominance only deepened the hatred.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I don't know.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Maybe it is that NY v Chicago thing.  Or because the Mets and Cubs were Divisional Rivals when I was growing up.  Could not bring myself to root fo any Chicago teams. 

When I was in school in Georgia, I did root for the Braves, but they were still in the Western Division then. Once they moved to the East (and i moved back north) and they began to dominate the Division, I learned to hate the Braves with every fiber of my being. 

See we obviously grew up in different periods. I am Mets, Devils, and an arms length knicks. In Nj, I never got into the nets. Not only did they blow but they didn’t care that they blew. And then Jason kidd made it interesting but that was a flash i the pan. Anyway. 

so I have no reservations about cheering on Chicago because in my period of mets fandom, I have relative success and no other real heartbreak to point at there. Jets being in completely different confidences. The devils are dominant and having had a front row seat to their build up and then domination, I’m not concerned about Chicago, always fun to watch them. If I moved to ny for instance, I’d drink poison before I rooted for the Rangers. 

4 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

wait so where are you from 

It’s an interesting question. When all the attention and media coverage is for the home team and not your original city it’s easy to start following a team. And start liking the players. It really hasn’t happened to me I’ve almost entirely lived in the NYC area. I’m Jets-Mets-Rangers and Knicks.