Did you know?

31 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

LOL!  Yes.  As well as meat and cakes, too.

Meatloaf is actually better the next day after it has set. Refrigerated of course.

Yeah I’ve noticed that. Just never thought much about it. I heard the oven “ ding” got ready to tear into some meatloaf and my wife said it had to sit! In a relatively stern manner. Like she expected me to know this yet though I think I probably did, at that moment I could think of only the delectable  savory meatloaf and honestly lost any sense of rules  of engagement. My daughter just called me for dinner. Let the healing begin. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah I’ve noticed that. Just never thought much about it. I heard the oven “ ding” got ready to tear into some meatloaf and my wife said it had to sit! In a relatively stern matter. Like she expected me to know this yet though I think I probably did, at that moment I could think of only the delectable  savory meatloaf and honestly lost any sense of rules  of engagement. My daughter just called me for dinner. Let the healing begin. 

Enjoy Sunday dinner with your family, man.  You guys do a free form loaf or in the pan?

25 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Waiting for food to sit before you can eat it must be agony for you.

I know it’s for the best so I don’t want to wait but for the sake of maximizing the dining experience and out of respect that  Mrs Crusher puts into masterfully cooking for my fat ass. I will. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Enjoy Sunday dinner with your family, man.  You guys do a free form loaf or in the pan?

She free molds it and cooks it on parchment paper. It has a perfectly crispy crunchy exterior and a warm delicate Center producing a light touch to the palate with just enough texture to make me tingle. Meatloaf when done right is as good as foreplay gets for this fat man. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

She free molds it and cooks it on parchment paper. It has a perfectly crispy crunchy exterior and a warm delicate Center producing a light touch to the palate with just enough texture to make me tingle. Meatloaf when done right is as good as foreplay gets for this fat man. 

Here’s a pro tip. Always be the carver in the family.

Meat is my friend, and I’ve never bought into that “let it sit” bs. when it comes out of the oven, it’s done. Does a lion let his meal rest? I don’t think so... why should you?

But if you want to get away with getting your taste right away and also keep everyone else happy, volunteer to slice it for everyone. At worst you get the crispy edges when nobody’s looking. At best you also get to hide the best slices on the bottom of the serving dish so the rest of the freeloading family can’t get them first.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Meat is my friend, and I’ve never bought into that “let it sit” bs. when it comes out of the oven, it’s done. Does a lion let his meal rest? I don’t think so... why should you?

But if you want to get away with getting your taste right away and also keep everyone else happy, volunteer to slice it for everyone. At worst you get the crispy edges when nobody’s looking. At best you also get to hide the best slices on the bottom of the serving dish so the rest of the freeloading family can’t get them first.

For holidays and special occasions I agree with this strategy. Everyday life? That’s a lot of work to those us that fully embrace the fat and lazy lifestyle. I do like the hiding the meat thing, I try to hide my meat every chance I can get. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Bought into?   It's basic culinary "science". 

Bottom line is we all like (and do) what we like.   But next time you take a roasted chicken/turkey out of the oven, put it immediately on the cutting board and hack it up.  (It's gonna be screaming hot.)  After you're done, take note of the lake of juices that remain on the board and your counter.  Same thing for any roast or even a steak off the grill.

By not resting the meat, you are not allowing the juices to migrate back from the center out to the rest of what you've cooked.  Result will be a drier and less tasty meat.  And all you needed to do was loosely tent it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes (a bit longer for a turkey or large beef roast).

58 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Bottom line is we all like (and do) what we like.   But next time you take a roasted chicken/turkey out of the oven, put it immediately on the cutting board and hack it up.  (It's gonna be screaming hot.)  After you're done, take note of the lake of juices that remain on the board and your counter.  Same thing for any roast or even a steak off the grill.

By not resting the meat, you are not allowing the juices to migrate back from the center out to the rest of what you've cooked.  Result will be a drier and less tasty meat.  And all you needed to do was loosely tent it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes (a bit longer for a turkey or large beef roast).

11 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Science is wonderful! 

Been a vegetarian for 12+years, but even I know this much. 

1*K8zjNfFLFShSIDmV6jGa-w.jpeg

• Haha 2

Did you know that roasted meats ie rib roast roast pork roast beef, especially if left uncut will keep cooking for 15 minutes or more after they are removed from the oven?  A medium well done roast can become well done and over cooked just sitting there.

14 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Did you know that roasted meats ie rib roast roast pork roast beef, especially if left uncut will keep cooking for 15 minutes or more after they are removed from the oven?  A medium well done roast can become well done and over cooked just sitting there.

Generally, you will gain approx. 10 degrees to your internal temperature.  That's why I always recommend folks get a reliable instant-read thermometer.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I realize that, but we’re talking a meatloaf here, and we’re talking about a hungry @The Crusher...

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Been a vegetarian for 12+years, but even I know this much. 

1*K8zjNfFLFShSIDmV6jGa-w.jpeg

I’ve always felt it depends on the cut of meat. Steaks, chops, I’ll plate right away. A roast, let’s say an eye round, Turkey or chicken, I’ll let sit.

Btw I eat like a 12 year old so you can’t go by me... not a fan of veggies. Peppers, onions, lettuce that’s about it. I know how bad that is, but I just can’t get “greens” down.

Beans, potatoes,(which are actually starches?) things like that I’m fine with, but I won’t even order a dish in a restaurant with vegetables in it.

For example, chinese takeout or dine in, the same thing. I’ll order General Tso w/o broccoli.

22 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

This.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I realize that, but we’re talking a meatloaf here, and we’re talking about a hunger @The Crusher...

I’ve always felt it depends on the cut of meat. Steaks, chops, I’ll plate right away. A roast, let’s say an eye round, Turkey or chicken, I’ll let sit.

Btw I eat like a 12 year old so you can’t go by me... not a fan of veggies. Peppers, onions, lettuce that’s about it. I know how bad that is, but I just can’t get “greens” down.

Beans, potatoes, things like that I’m fine with, but I won’t even order a dish in a restaurant with vegetables in it.

For example, chinese takeout or dine in, the same thing. I’ll order General Tso w/o broccoli.

This.

You're right.  Forgot we were dealing with Crusher in the middle of a food "jones".

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Well lookey here... a regular galloping gourmet!!!!    Good stuff!!  BTW... nothing better when you are stoned (as a kid) than cold meatloaf, sliced THIN with ketchup!!!!

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Well lookey here... a regular galloping gourmet!!!!    Good stuff!!  BTW... nothing better when you are stoned (as a kid) than cold meatloaf, sliced THIN with ketchup!!!!

My Mom made it Italian style with plenty of chopped garlic and tomato sauce.  No joke, kids would turn around when I opened my lunch from the scent wafting thru the room.  lol

But yeah, love regular American style meatloaf sandwiches the next day.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

My Mom made it Italian style with plenty of chopped garlic and tomato sauce.  No joke, kids would turn around when I opened my lunch from the scent wafting thru the room.  lol

The funniest thing was the lunches Italian kids (I was one of them) brought to school, especially on Mondays.

They looked nothing like what the “Ameriganna” kids brought.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

The funniest thing was the lunches Italian kids (I was one of them) brought to school, especially on Mondays.

They looked nothing like what the “Ameriganna” kids brought.

That was so my world.  I'm from Northern Italy and most people in my neighborhood were from the south.  Foods and cooking styles are radically different.  Often, kids had no idea what I was eating.  lol

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

That's great!!!!     Im half italian, (grandfather born in Sicily), I  worked in a pork store for Many YEARS on LI until about 21. The type where prosciutto hung on ropes as did provolone etc. Where the owner, a REAL italian, made something he called "Sicilian Meatloaf".   It was meatloaf with basically all types of italian cold cuts ends ground up and mixed in the meatloaf.  Was incredible. With a brown gravy...  Ends of pepperoni, genoa, soppresata, cappicola all ground in a fine grinder. This photo is pretty close to it.

Sicilian-Meat-Roll-9468.jpg

• Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

That's great!!!!     Im half italian, (grandfather born in Sicily), I  worked in a pork store for Many YEARS on LI until about 21. The type where prosciutto hung on ropes as did provolone etc. Where the owner, a REAL italian, made something he called "Sicilian Meatloaf".   It was meatloaf with basically all types of italian cold cuts ends ground up and mixed in the meatloaf.  Was incredible. With a brown gravy...  Ends of pepperoni, genoa, soppresata, cappicola all ground in a fine grinder. This photo is pretty close to it.

F*ck, that looks incredible.  Dig that you worked in a "pork store" (I worked in delis of family friends).   Again, most folks outside of NY Metro Area would have no idea what that is.  Outside of Italy, best salumi I ever ate were from pork stores.  And one by my Mom made a stuffed veal roast (they would assemble/she'd cook it) that was crazy good.

59 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My family makes it all the time, lol. It’s the “meatloaf” I grew up eating. We rarely had the common version.

im not sure of the spelling, but we pronounce it poop ah tone.

Really easy to make also. Just season chop meat the same way you would for meat balls, roll or spread it out about 1/2 inch thick. We layer Sicilian salami and mozzarella, then roll and fold it over. 

It’s great both baked in the oven (like your photo) or in sauce.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

F*ck, that looks incredible.  Dig that you worked in a "pork store" (I worked in delis of family friends).   Again, most folks outside of NY Metro Area would have no idea what that is.  Outside of Italy, best salumi I ever ate were from pork stores.  And one by my Mom made a stuffed veal roast (they would assemble/she'd cook it) that was crazy good.

Stuffed Breast of veal.. My grandfathers favorite and one of mine!

Was the veal roast your mom made stuffed with a combination of chopped meat, bread crumbs and cheese and seasoning?In my house it was thesame filling we used to stuff peppers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

My family makes it all the time, lol. It’s the “meatloaf” I grew up eating. We rarely had the common version.

im not sure of the spelling, but we pronounce it poop ah tone.

Really easy to make also. Just season chop meat the same way you would for meat balls, roll or spread it out about 1/2 inch thick. We layer Sicilian salami and mozzarella, then roll and fold it over. 

It’s great both baked in the oven (like your photo) or in sauce.

Polppetone, which is a larger version of polpette.   Polpette are the kind of meatballs you would find in Italy.  They do know from the ones they make here.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Stuffed Breast of veal.. My grandfathers favorite and one of mine!

Was the veal roast your mom made stuffed with a combination of chopped meat, cheese and seasoning. It’s usually the same filling we used to stuff peppers.

Glad I brought it up.  Made right, it's a fantastic roast for Sunday dinner or special event.  Now, I've got to make one soon.  lol

It did not have chopped meat.   Basically, salt, pepper, extra virgin, chopped rosemary, chopped garlic, prosciutto, grated Reggiano and a couple other things I'm forgetting.  Best part was the veal the guy used.  Unless you know what you're doing (or whom you're buying from) many veal roasts wind up tough.  These were like butter.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Glad I brought it up.  Made right, it's a fantastic roast for Sunday dinner or special event.  Now, I've got to make one soon.  lol

It did not have chopped meat.   Basically, salt, pepper, extra virgin, chopped rosemary, chopped garlic, prosciutto, grated Reggiano and a couple other things I'm forgetting.  Best part was the veal the guy used.  Unless you know what you're doing (or whom you're buying from) many veal roasts wind up tough.  These were like butter.

You’re spot on about the veal, My grandmother and my mom always called it breast of veal. Could that have been the same cut? It always had the ribs in though, never boneless.

your recipe sounds fantastic btw

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

It’s oficial name was Italian Deli....  we sold sausage and veal  and cutlets but not a pork store per se.  BIG lunch crowd...  lined up out the door.  Great hot and cold héroes etc. 

• Sympathy 1

Last one from me... my grandmother would fry zeppoles once a year, on New Years Eve.

She would make the ones you see at Italian feasts, covered in confectionery sugar, but the best ones were shaped like a big rice ball, and stuffed with ricotta, a little moots, and chopped dry sausage. 

OMG those were the best thing every, right out of the pot she fried them in.

ive told a few pizzeria owners about them, and they’ve all tried to make them, but nobody can do it the way she did. Every New Years Eve, I think about her, and picture her at the stove.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It’s oficial name was Italian Deli....  we sold sausage and veal  and cutlets but not a pork store per se.  BIG lunch crowd...  lined up out the door.  Great hot and cold héroes etc. 

What town were you from? Was that place on Wantagh Avenue?