Can the New York Jets finally win their division?

Are the Bills that good? Are the Patriots truly a 5-6 win team? is Miami that bad? Can we manage with the second hardest schedule in the 2020 season? 

Idk about y’all but I would love to finally see a Jets playoff game this year but I don’t think that the door is as wide open to this possibility as others. Talk some sense into me. Can we win the division and if so, how do we do that?

I think we are going to win the division, for four reasons:

1.  Improvements to O-Line and linebacking corps.

2.  Josh Allen has reached his peak and Sam hasn't.

3.  Brady masked shortcomings on Pats, especially on offense.   They're just not going to be that good.

4.  Dolphins a year or two behind in developing their team and they will either be starting Fitz (who is due for a bad year) or a rookie.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Depends how well we plugged our holes.  The Bills could be better just by average play with a better roster.  Plus given the difficulty of our schedule... a few "lucky bounces" are going to go our way.  But I think Sam can make this offense work if everybody is nearly healthy and the line gels quicker than expected.  I domt think the Pats are cooked yet.  BB will always have tricks up his sleeve.

It's June, any team can win the division at this point. A lot is riding on how much the offensive line improvements actually turn out to be improvements on game day. If the o-line looks solid and Darnold stays healthy we may be fighting for the division. I still think until Belichick goes away that's where the division runs through.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's June, any team can win the division at this point. A lot is riding on how much the offensive line improvements actually turn out to be improvements on game day. If the o-line looks solid and Darnold stays healthy we may be fighting for the division. I still think until Belichick goes away that's where the division runs through.

I just don’t believe we added enough weapons around Darnold. The WR depth seriously worries me. If the OL truly does look miles better than 2019, Darnold still needs some reliable targets and these targets have to stay healthy for the majority of the season. Tough ask.

3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Depends how well we plugged our holes.  The Bills could be better just by average play with a better roster.  Plus given the difficulty of our schedule... a few "lucky bounces" are going to go our way.  But I think Sam can make this offense work if everybody is nearly healthy and the line gels quicker than expected.  I domt think the Pats are cooked yet.  BB will always have tricks up his sleeve.

Patriots win 7-8 games if you ask me. Not sure how a new QB looks in that system but I think Belicheck schemes very well on offense and can hide deficiencies, himself. Stefon Diggs being in Buffalo scares me a little. I know we did good work on remodeling the secondary but Diggs is a #1 WR and having maybe...Logan Ryan across from him would be cool.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I just don’t believe we added enough weapons around Darnold. The WR depth seriously worries me. If the OL truly does look miles better than 2019, Darnold still needs some reliable targets and these targets have to stay healthy for the majority of the season. Tough ask.

Patriots win 7-8 games if you ask me. Not sure how a new QB looks in that system but I think Belicheck schemes very well on offense and can hide deficiencies, himself. Stefon Diggs being in Buffalo scares me a little. I know we did good work on remodeling the secondary but Diggs is a #1 WR and having maybe...Logan Ryan across from him would be cool.

If Sam's the best QB on the field with decent weapons then we win a lot of close games this year. Critics are totally forgetting that. I think even we are to some extent.  We won seven games last year with him suffering from an illness that if he came back too early could have killed him.  It's totally probably he makes a jump in production this season.  Even Gase I am sure is banking on that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I know we play a difficult schedule, but it's not the second toughest schedule in the league THIS year. The Pats are not that Pats, which makes our difficulty level lower because it was based on Brady being on the Pats. I would much rather play them than a lot of other teams this year. I do think we can win the division, no question. We have the most talented QB and we filled a lot of holes with better players. Also, last year was one of the worst years for any team in terms of injury in NFL history. 

• Upvote 2

A.  Buffalo will win the division

B.  The Patriots are likely to win more than 5 or 6 games.

C.  I do think Miami is that bad  :)

D.  Anyone expecting the Jets to make the playoffs is a Jet fan.  Just terrible at betting and should probably stay away from bets on the Jets.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Are the Bills that good?

They are every bit as good or better than we are. We can beat them, they can beat us.

Are the Patriots truly a 5-6 win team? M

I very much doubt it. They’ll win 8 minimum.

is Miami that bad?

No. They’ll be better than most Jets fans think.

Can we manage with the second hardest schedule in the 2020 season? 

Yes. There are at least 10 reasonably winnable games on our schedule. It’s a parity league.

Idk about y’all but I would love to finally see a Jets playoff game this year but I don’t think that the door is as wide open to this possibility as others. Talk some sense into me. Can we win the division and if so, how do we do that?

Beat Buffalo x1, Miami x2, New England x1 and you’re on the way. That’s 4 wins. There are definitely 6 more on this schedule.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The schedule makes it really really hard for me to believe that the Jets can win enough games to be a playoff team or win the division. 

I this is Buffalo's year. Barring a nasty injury to Josh Allen, forcing Matt Barkley into action, this should be their year to take the division, go to the playoffs and make some noise. 

Pats will have some adjustment lag with Stidham. 

Dolphins are still in a rebuild mode. 

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Jets will win the division. They will be the surprise team of the AFC. 12-4 and a home game to kick start their playoff run. 

Wow, I'm one of the optimists around here and even I would not predict 12-4.  I think the Division is within our grasp but 12-4....that would floor me.    

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

@Patriot Killa What have we been saying for 3 years now?

Its all about Darnold. Now is the time...

On paper, we should have as good or better a chance to win the division as anyone, with the possible exception of Buffalo (who I don’t believe are that much better than us) and there’s no excuse for being worse than second in the AFC East this year.

We have a very good defense, are improved at OL, and there are enough weapons with the 2 TEs, Crowder, Permian, and Mims.

If Darnold steps up, there’s no reason this team can’t grab at least one of the WC spots, and I’d argue winning the division might be the easier road to the playoffs.

Its time to stop being afraid to demand more than mediocrity.

• Upvote 2

Without a doubt - I don't expect Buffalo to repeat last year's performance and think they may land in the 8-8 area. New England has the makings of a terrible team, if they somehow have a good season then all hope is lost until Belichick retires. Miami is going nowhere fast. 

The Jets can win this division

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

A.  Buffalo will win the division

B.  The Patriots are likely to win more than 5 or 6 games.

C.  I do think Miami is that bad  :)

D.  Anyone expecting the Jets to make the playoffs is a Jet fan.  Just terrible at betting and should probably stay away from bets on the Jets.

I see a better Jets team. How much better, we’ll see. But we split with Buffalo last season (and lost 17-16 in the loss), and yet everyone seems to think Buffalo is the best team in the division. We can hang with them. Miami always seems to play us well regardless of where they are in the rebuild. And the Pats don’t scare me at all. BB is still a witch devising game plans, but no Brady means they are very beatable.  

I think it’s going to be a 2-3 three team finish in the East. I think whoever goes 10-6 can easily win the division.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m a bit worried about the depth at WR, also. That’s why I’m hoping they bring Demaryius Thomas on a one year vets minimum type of contract, sure he’s a bit older, but he’s still a decent receiver. He can easily be a quality 3rd or 4th receiver for us. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Are the Bills that good? Are the Patriots truly a 5-6 win team? is Miami that bad? Can we manage with the second hardest schedule in the 2020 season? 

The short answer is no, we will not win the division this year.

The Patriots are better than a 5-6 win team, and I believe that they are a 9-7 team.  Buffalo is either a 9-7 or 10-6 team.  Miami may be that bad.  They may be a 4 or 6 win team.

The Jets are a 8-8 team. Our offensive line is still a question mark, but improved from last year.  Our wide receiver group needs to prove themselves.  Our schedule is tougher than last year.  We still don't have a proven pass rush.

23 minutes ago, Alka said:

The short answer is no, we will not win the division this year.

The Patriots are better than a 5-6 win team, and I believe that they are a 9-7 team.  Buffalo is either a 9-7 or 10-6 team.  Miami may be that bad.  They may be a 4 or 6 win team.

The Jets are a 8-8 team. Our offensive line is still a question mark, but improved from last year.  Our wide receiver group needs to prove themselves.  Our schedule is tougher than last year.  We still don't have a proven pass rush.

1. Pats won’t win 5 games

2. Bills are getting ridiculously overhyped they remind me of the browns last year

3. Dolphins are a 6-7 win team.  Flores might be the one Belichick assistant who doesn’t suck

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

As of right now, I think the WR group has more talent as a whole than last year. If that talent rears its beautiful head, we arent bad off by any means. Herndon is the key here. and one has to assume he is in shape and ready to take off again when the season starts. Having 2 TEs that actually make a play will be boner pants for Sammy. PeeeeRine will be a huge weapon for us, book it.

The O-line doesnt have to be miles better than last year. If they are even average it will be a huge help to this offense and Sam. (Gase especially)Gotta assume they will gel more as the season progresses too, so above average would be miles better than last years crew.

Patriots suck. No they could be 8-8 or 9-7 depending on Stidham. Im just not convinced they just keep rolling along like nothing changed. They are as much of a question mark as us at this stage in my eyes.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

They are every bit as good or better than we are. We can beat them, they can beat us.

I very much doubt it. They’ll win 8 minimum.

No. They’ll be better than most Jets fans think.

Yes. There are at least 10 reasonably winnable games on our schedule. It’s a parity league.

Beat Buffalo x1, Miami x2, New England x1 and you’re on the way. That’s 4 wins. There are definitely 6 more on this schedule.

Nice post. The Kansas City game would be a good Sunday to go fishing. 

• Upvote 1

We need a lot of things to fall in place to win the division but it’s not that far fetched. We must go at least 4-2 vs. Miami, NE and Buffalo. We must win games we are supposed to win. Example: last years loss to the winless Bengals. Just disgraceful.  We must protect Sam and Levon Bell must return to form. Mims must immediately make an impact. Mosley needs to return at full strength. We need another CB (Logan) to strengthen the secondary.  JD can not extend Adams. It will destroy the cap next year. We must get to the QB. Our pass rush was pathetic. Sam has to come into his own. It’s time for Sam to step up. Herndon and Griffin are absolute musts.  Sam relies heavily on TE’s. That’s a lot of musts but they are ALL within the realm of possibility. Oh and we must pray. 

I predict this NFL season will be a slobberknocker.

Due to the obvious current events we will see lots of mediocrity and I expect all teams to be equally  ill-prepared.

Don't be surprised to see some teams we would deem hopeless get some momentum going. Also don't be surprised to see some teams that normally would have had high expectations packing it in pretty early.

This is not a normal NFL offseason. I fully expect a free-for-all bar brawl with a lot of Lucky Punches.

My gut tells me the Fins win the East. Followed by the Jets, Bills, Pats.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

1. Pats won’t win 5 games

2. Bills are getting ridiculously overhyped they remind me of the browns last year

3. Dolphins are a 6-7 win team.  Flores might be the one Belichick assistant who doesn’t suck

1. So the difference between the Patriots winning 11 games or the Pats winning 5 games is Tom Brady?  I think not.

2. Bills may be overhyped.  But they still are a 9 win team at least.

3. If Dolphins are a 6-7 win game, does that mean they split with the Jets?  Jets could have easily lost both games to them last year, and was lucky to get a split.

55 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

We have a brand new O line, 2/3 of our starting WR are brand new and 1 is a rookie...The off season success depends on players on their own working hard unsupervised...

and then there is Gase

there is a chance but the window is small

If Gase is so bad then missing all offseason is technically an advantage for the Jets.  It will give him less time to mess up what Douglas has assembled lol.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

No. The Bills AND Patsies are much better teams than the Jets. Imagine how silly this is honestly? We're talking and actually trying to debate whether the Jets are good enough to win the division when the Jets actually have a total of THREE players that they drafted coming up for resign in the near future. The Jets organization via piss poor management is an abortion. They've been selecting and playing pure, 100% GARBAGE since about 2008 with very few exceptions.

Moreover, the Jets fan base is actually thinking they'll win the division when the fact is they know NOTHING about these draft picks. No one knows for certain if Joe Douglas is anything more than an extension of Mike Macagnan. Just like John Idzik was an extension of Mike Tannenbaum. Just like Mike Macagnan was an extension of John Idzik. Three GM's that couldn't draft their way out of a wet paper bag. Yet Jets fans actually have the audacity to sit here and think they have the goods to win the division. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at such obscene stupidity.