OT: Kids need school and teens are out of control

Kids just have too much time on theirs hands these days. The lack of education and socialization are going to cause long term effects with their behavior and intellectual.

Teens are running wild and parents are allowing them to handle vehicles. There has been an increase of car accidents. Also the amount of violent acts such as battery, assault and theft are on the rise.

As broke as the educational has been, it has also served as a security blanket for America's children.

The real question is: will there be school in 2020? Most likely not. The online experience that kids are going through without the ability of socialization and interaction will have a long term impact on our society.  We need our schools, but it won't be in 2020.

Several of my partners are home schooling their kids and arranging social events on weekends for them.

One is actually not coming back to work because he and his kids decided they would continue home schooling.  His daughter told me she did not want to waste her time waiting for the dumb kids to catch up. 

My concern is as more educated parents decide home schooling and structured social activities on Fridays or weekends becomes more prevalent, the gap is only going to widen. 

This pandemic has made many parents understand how poor the schools are and is motivating them to take personal action.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

This has been a running meme since toughly 1642 AD

Maybe in America. I have lived in Asia, in South Korea the graduation rate is in the 96 percentile compared to US at 75%, Norway at 100%

https://all4ed.org/articles/education-at-a-glance-international-comparison-places-the-united-states-near-the-bottom-in-high-school-graduation-rates-and-college-graduates/

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Several of my partners are home schooling their kids and arranging social events on weekends for them.

One is actually not coming back to work because he and his kids decided they would continue home schooling.  His daughter told me she did not want to waste her time waiting for the dumb kids to catch up. 

My concern is as more educated parents decide home schooling and structured social activities on Fridays or weekends becomes more prevalent, the gap is only going to widen. 

This pandemic has made many parents understand how poor the schools are and is motivating them to take personal action.

Back in 2015/2016, I worked with a guy who had 3 kids. He and his wife had already determined that all 3 would be home-schooled. At the time, I was in my late 20s and in a relationship with my now wife, and I just couldn’t believe that people would do that to their kids. Meanwhile, this guy was easily the brightest mind on the entire floor.

This pandemic forcing people to homeschool has completely shifted my view of he and his wife. Our friends and families have school-aged kids, and the stuff they tell us about how much of a waste of time 80% of the curriculum is and how slow and apathetic their kids have gotten about school work simply because they’re not challenged - it’s certainly an eye opener.

The funny thing is that while I was in high school and college, I can actually remember thinking how much of my time I was wasting on unnecessary requirements. 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Good to hear and thank you for being a responsible parent.

He’s the poster child for add. Being in a familiar environment with few distractions has been a blessing. 
Many issues we talk about the thing that doesn’t get mentioned enough is parenting. I’m a big believer in positive goal setting. But my being raised by an army MP did give me the ability to get respect when I need to lol

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This has been a running meme since toughly 1642 AD

Try 2500 BC:

The Generation Gap in Sumer: A Father Lectures His Lazy Son

Anonymous

(ca. 2500 B.C.)

"Where did you go?"

"I did not go anywhere."

"If you did not go anywhere, why do you idle about? Go to school, stand before your 'school-father,' recite your assignment, open your schoolbag, write your tablet, let your 'big brother' write your new tablet for you. After you have finished your assignment and reported to your monitor, come to me, and do not wander about in the street. Come now, do you know what I said?"

"I know, I'll tell it to you."

"Come, now, repeat it to me."

"I'll repeat it to you."

"Tell it to me.

"Come on, tell it to me."

"You told me to go to school, recite my assignment, open my schoolbag, write my tablet, while my 'big brother' is to write my new tablet. After finishing my assignment, I am to proceed to my work and to come to you after I have reported to my monitor. That's what you told me."

The father now continues with a long monologue:

"Come now, be a man. Don't stand about in the public square, or wander about the boulevard. When walking in the street, don't look all around. Be humble and show fear before your monitor. When you show terror, the monitor will like you."

.......... [About fifteen lines destroyed.]

"You who wander about in the public square, would you achieve success? Then seek out the first generations. Go to school, it will be of benefit to you. My son, seek out the first generations, inquire of them.

"Perverse one over whom I stand watch-I would not be a man did I not stand watch over my son-I spoke to my kin, compared its men, but found none like you among them.

"What I am about to relate to you turns the fool into a wise man, holds the snake as if by charms, and will not let you accept false phrases. Because my heart had been sated with weariness of you, I kept away from you and heeded not your fears and grumblings-no, I heeded not your fears and grumblings. Because of your clamorings, yes, because of your clamorings-I was angry with you-yes, I was angry with you. Because you do not look to your humanity, my heart was carried off as if by an evil wind. Your grumblings have put an end to me, you have brought me to the point of death.

"I, never in all my life did I make you carry reeds to the canebrake. The reed rushes which the young and the little carry, you, never in your life did you carry them. I never said to you 'Follow my caravans'. I never sent you to work, to plow my field. I never sent you to work to dig up my field. I never sent you to work as a laborer. 'Go, work and support me,' I never in my life said to you.

"Others like you support their parents by working. If you spoke to your kin, and appreciated them, you would emulate them. They provide 10 gur [72 bushels] barley each-even the young ones provided their fathers with 10 gur each. They multiplied barley for their father, maintained him in barley, oil, and wool. But you, you're a man when it comes to perverseness, but compared to them you are not a man at all. You certainly don't labor like them-they are the sons of fathers who make their sons labor, but me-I didn't make you work like them.

"Perverse one with whom I am furious-who is the man who can really be furious with his son-I spoke to my kin and found something hitherto unnoticed. The words which I shall relate to you, fear them and be on your guard because of them. Your partner, your yokemate-you failed to appreciate him; why do you not emulate him? Your friend, your companion-you failed to appreciate him; why do you not emulate him? Emulate your older brother. Emulate your younger brother. Among all mankind's craftsmen who dwell in the land, as many as Enki [the god of arts and crafts] called by name [brought into existence], no work as difficult as the scribal art did he call by name. For if not for song [poetry]-like the banks of the sea, the banks of the distant canals, is the heart of song distant-you wouldn't be listening to my counsel, and I wouldn't be repeating to you the wisdom of my father. It is an accordance with the fate decreed by Enlil for man that a son follows the work of his father.

"I, night and day am I tortured because of you. Night and day you waste in pleasures. You have accumulated much wealth, have expanded far and wide, have become fat, big, broad, powerful, and puffed. But your kin waits expectantly for your misfortune, and will rejoice at it because you looked not to your humanity."

Credits: Samuel Noah Kramer, History Begins at Sumer (Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1959, 13-16.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

. Our friends and families have school-aged kids, and the stuff they tell us about how much of a waste of time 80% of the curriculum is and how slow and apathetic their kids have gotten about school work simply because they’re not challenged - it’s certainly an eye opener.

Wait.....so out of nowhere theres a pandemic. Schools close. Nobody has done this before. The teachers are forced to work online.

online is NOT in person......

how academic could it be? Could you do a better job of training someone at work in person face to face vs the computer?

theres a ton of politics as well. Districts want better graduation rates. Districts do not want the child to be penalized for covid that is not in their control. Many kids cant function online. The work gets easier on purpose.

56 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

How so? How do parents know schools are bad due to covid?

The only thing covid had to do with the statement is the kids were home so many parents realized where they were with their studies.

Maybe you were one of the parents who paid closer attention to their children's studies.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

The only thing covid had to do with the statement is the kids were home so many parents realized where they were with their studies.

Maybe you were one of the parents who paid closer attention to their children's studies.  

No im a teacher. My experience is that teachers hated it, parents hated it and kids hated it. It also showed me, sadly, that when you can pretty much do about an hour  of work per week per class to get As and Bs the kids still dont want to do anything. 

My experience also is that home teaching or internet learning or online school, whatever you want to call it, is disasterous and I think parents cant stand having their kids home all day and on their ass

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bronx said:

Kids just have too much time on theirs hands these days. The lack of education and socialization are going to cause long term effects with their behavior and intellectual.

Teens are running wild and parents are allowing them to handle vehicles. There has been an increase of car accidents. Also the amount of violent acts such as battery, assault and theft are on the rise.

As broke as the educational has been, it has also served as a security blanket for America's children.

The real question is: will there be school in 2020? Most likely not. The online experience that kids are going through without the ability of socialization and interaction will have a long term impact on our society.  We need our schools, but it won't be in 2020.

Sir this is a Wendy's..

jk - totally agree. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bronx said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11964508

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

No im a teacher. My experience is that teachers hated it, parents hated it and kids hated it. It also showed me, sadly, that when you can pretty much do about an hour  of work per week per class to get As and Bs the kids still dont want to do anything. 

My experience also is that home teaching or internet learning or online school, whatever you want to call it, is disasterous and I think parents cant stand having their kids home all day and on their ass

When this remote learning first started it was actually a fair bit of work.  And we were actually surprised at what our kids were doing. 

but it got easier because parents couldn’t teach their kids this stuff.  Now it’s like 2 hours a day and then just goofing off. 

18 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Back in 2015/2016, I worked with a guy who had 3 kids. He and his wife had already determined that all 3 would be home-schooled. At the time, I was in my late 20s and in a relationship with my now wife, and I just couldn’t believe that people would do that to their kids. Meanwhile, this guy was easily the brightest mind on the entire floor.

This pandemic forcing people to homeschool has completely shifted my view of he and his wife. Our friends and families have school-aged kids, and the stuff they tell us about how much of a waste of time 80% of the curriculum is and how slow and apathetic their kids have gotten about school work simply because they’re not challenged - it’s certainly an eye opener.

The funny thing is that while I was in high school and college, I can actually remember thinking how much of my time I was wasting on unnecessary requirements. 

My wife homeschools our kids. So the pandemic hasn’t effected us much. Texas has a large homeschool population. During normal times, libraries etc usually have tons of activities for homeschooled kids. And most homeschool parents are part of a local network where you can organize social events and even take classes together.

My kids like it and are doing well. We have the added bonus of being able to spend more time together as a family. Homeschool has been more efficient for us.

14 hours ago, batman10023 said:

When this remote learning first started it was actually a fair bit of work.  And we were actually surprised at what our kids were doing. 

but it got easier because parents couldn’t teach their kids this stuff.  Now it’s like 2 hours a day and then just goofing off. 

There you go. Ineffective

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

My wife homeschools our kids. So the pandemic hasn’t effected us much. Texas has a large homeschool population. During normal times, libraries etc usually have tons of activities for homeschooled kids. And most homeschool parents are part of a local network where you can organize social events and even take classes together.

My kids like it and are doing well. We have the added bonus of being able to spend more time together as a family. Homeschool has been more efficient for us.

Thats great if it all works out for you guys. I just think you are in the minority. Good job though youre probably a much better than average parent

Question for all you of you home schoolers out there.

Like virtually everyone else in the middle class, I know folks that went into teaching. It required specific education and certifications.  From what I am seeing from others, this was apparently a meaningless waste of time and "amateurs" can educate their kids just as well, if not better.

Not opining in any way here, just curious. Seems to me that we are already behind the rest of the education level of much of the world. 

My only question is what are the teachers doing during the day? I have kids in two different districts living with me and in both of their cases it’s almost impossible to get a hold of any of their teachers during the day. There should be an instant messaging system for kids to reach out to them. Emails seem to get answered overnight and by that point the kids are behind on the lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, Snell41 said:

My only question is what are the teachers doing during the day? I have kids in two different districts living with me and in both of their cases it’s almost impossible to get a hold of any of their teachers during the day. There should be an instant messaging system for kids to reach out to them. Emails seem to get answered overnight and by that point the kids are behind on the lesson.

the teachers are goofing off for the most part.   i think they are working like 2-3 hours a day also. 
Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app