Jets Sam Darnold plans workouts with WR's/Who's joining him in Florida?

8 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Still scratching my head as to why he (Darnold) picked Miami-Dade County for these workouts. Seems as if he's not paying attention to where this Pandemic has hit the hardest;

You think he'd be making more informed decisions in relation to avoiding COVID-19  hot-spots, after his bout with Mono last year.

I applaud Sam's initiative - but his decision making is still problematic. He really can't afford to have another season cut short due to an illness, that he could have avoided.

Distance concerns.  Meeting guys in environs they are familiar with or extending an olive branch?  He's not bubble boy.  I am sure he has people around him that can help him coordinate this type of thing and fill him in on the protocols.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Distance concerns.  Meeting guys in environs they are familiar with or extending an olive branch?  He's not bubble boy.  I am sure he has people around him that can help him coordinate this type of thing and fill him in on the protocols.

Hopefully, I'm worried for nothing and everything goes smoothly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Still scratching my head as to why he (Darnold) picked Miami-Dade County for these workouts. Seems as if he's not paying attention to where this Pandemic has hit the hardest;

You think he'd be making more informed decisions in relation to avoiding COVID-19  hot-spots, after his bout with Mono last year.

I applaud Sam's initiative - but his decision making is still problematic. He really can't afford to have another season cut short due to an illness, that he could have avoided.

People in his age group are not very at risk for a serious case of covid. Even if he gets it it's almost certainly not a big deal. He'll recover just fine and likely won't need a hospital visit.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

People in his age group are not very at risk for a serious case of covid. Even if he gets it it's almost certainly not a big deal. He'll recover just fine and likely won't need a hospital visit.

Better for him to get it now than in August/September anyways.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It helps with timing and chemistry. I doubt these guys are just running random routes, they are probably running the same routes they will be running Week 1. I am sure they are also chatting with each other learning the plays and explaining what they expect from each other on those plays. Crowder will be there also and he will likely help the new/younger WRs understand their responsibilities. It's a great way to cheat the system and get in extra off-season practice reps. 

I doubt Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams have to do this but for a young QB playing with young WRs this is a must. 

do they even have playbooks?  i can see there being some value.  i just think these things need the coaches and be structured.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, IndianaJet said:

When Sam talks...his teammates listen.

According to Cimini there will be almost 2 dozen players there.  "Almost every key offensive skill position player is expected to attend"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29287562/sam-darnold-jets-teammates-hold-informal-workout-miami

The Rock Applause GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

btw   i believe in this guy over Jordan ******* Palmer...

Tom House Ph.D.Motion Performace ExpertAfter pitching for seven years in the MLB, House received his Ph.D. in Sports/Performance Psychology while becoming a pitching coach

https://www.train3dqb.com/about.html

I'll take the bait.

Why?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2020 at 10:57 AM, KRL said:

More players expected according to the Post.  Don't forget the Hazmat Suit when getting
on the plane Sam!!!

https://nypost.com/2020/06/09/sam-darnold-organizing-florida-workouts-for-jets-offense/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Jets quarterback Sam Darnold and his skill players are getting a jump on training camp.

Darnold will fly to Florida later this week and conduct workouts this weekend with most of the Jets receivers, fellow quarterbacks, running backs and tight ends, according to a source.

The Jets, like all NFL teams, have not been able to practice together this spring because of COVID-19 restrictions. This will be the first time Darnold gets to work with some of his new receivers like rookie Denzel Mims and Breshad Perriman, who signed as a free agent. Jamison Crowder, who was with Darnold last year, is also expected to be there.

Running backs Le’Veon Bell and recently signed Frank Gore are also expected to be there, as is tight end Chris Herndon, who missed most of last season due to a suspension and injuries.

Darnold has been training near his home in Southern California, but is going to travel closer to Florida, where many of these players are based. The 23-year-old is showing his growing leadership by organizing the sessions.

It is reminiscent of former Jets QB Mark Sanchez, who organized practice sessions near his California home during three offseasons, starting during the 2011 lockout year. Sanchez named those “Jets West.”

The Jets west thing started in 2010 not 2011.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'll take the bait.

Why?

cos its about biomechanics...

a certain HOFer formerly in our division said

""Over the years, I was a little inefficient and I learned how to get away with it. I've been working with Tom House on what's called ground-force production... Kinetic sequencing, getting the power from the ground, which translates from the ground to your legs, to your hips, to the shoulder, and all the energy is going toward the target.

41 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

cos its about biomechanics...

a certain HOFer formerly in our division said

""Over the years, I was a little inefficient and I learned how to get away with it. I've been working with Tom House on what's called ground-force production... Kinetic sequencing, getting the power from the ground, which translates from the ground to your legs, to your hips, to the shoulder, and all the energy is going toward the target.

So a week or 2 ago, when I mentioned how Mahomes went to Palmer for help with totally revamping his mechanics (which he was successful in doing), you brushed it off as "no big deal", but Captain Avocado Ice Cream says a few buzzwords and all of sudden Tom House is infallible?

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

So a week or 2 ago, when I mentioned how Mahomes went to Palmer for help with totally revamping his mechanics (which he was successful in doing), you brushed it off as "no big deal", but Captain Avocado Ice Cream says a few buzzwords and all of sudden Tom House is infallible?

the sciency part is what i prefer

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

and Tom House was doing this while JP was still a sh*t backup QB

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303822204577466623689762452

thats from 2012

19 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

and Tom House was doing this while JP was still a sh*t backup QB

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303822204577466623689762452

thats from 2012

It's a fluff piece that is absolutely no different then the fluff pieces written about Palmer.

They do the same exact stuff.  The "science" parts you love is just House throwing fancy buzzwords on his website to get people to think he's doing something different from every other QB guru.

Btw, you insulted Palmer for being a sh*t backup QB trying to teach QBs how to play the position, but completely glance over John friggin' Beck, a career back-up QB, being on House's payroll and staff.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

i'd like to take a gander at JPs website....

Right now it's just a PSA that the summer 2020 camps have been postponed until further notice.

Either way, they should be judged on their body of work, not their websites.  Both House and Palmer have done phenomenal work with QBs if that's what we're going on.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

@Mogglez

btw. peace, man.

i believe in the one guy, you believe in the other. shrug.

in the end i think we both only care that Sams mechanics improve...

I actually love both of em lol.  Back when Sam was a sophomore at USC, I said on this board that he should seek out House's help for his throwing motion.  This was well before he was even a Jet.

Totally agree with you on Sam's mechanics.  I'd like to see him improve his footwork and lower half.  His release is cleaned up enough.  Focus on your base now.

10 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

good stuff.

fwiw, my thing with Palmer may have to do with my hate for nepotism

Fair point.

I think it's just important to remember that Palmer has carved this own path for himself when judging him on this particular topic.  Yeah, obviously being a former NFL QB and Carson's younger brother helped him quite a bit, but even Carson continued to work with House while his own brother was trying to make it as a QB guru.  There was no plug, no public advertisement, etc.  Just a guy that started working with other QBs and it grew from word of mouth.  I look at him and see a guy that went from career back-up/living in the shadow of his successful brother to premier QB teacher.  It's a good turn-around story, IMHO.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Fair point.

I think it's just important to remember that Palmer has carved this own path for himself when judging him on this particular topic.  Yeah, obviously being a former NFL QB and Carson's younger brother helped him quite a bit, but even Carson continued to work with House while his own brother was trying to make it as a QB guru.  There was no plug, no public advertisement, etc.  Just a guy that started working with other QBs and it grew from word of mouth.  I look at him and see a guy that went from career back-up/living in the shadow of his successful brother to premier QB teacher.  It's a good turn-around story, IMHO.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/29048756/how-jordan-palmer-went-qb-washout-go-coach-no-1-nfl-draft-picks

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2020 at 8:20 PM, Il Mostro said:

I think the "Next" tattoo on her inner thigh gave her away.  My ex-wife's custom made on-deck circle was a special touch.

Or a tattoo that says "to prevent falling in strap a two by four across your back".

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:43 PM, ARodJetsFan said:

I'd bet it was the area closest to most of the players and I like the fact Sam didn't do it in SoCal. He's going out of his way and that'll earn respect from the team. Even though South Fl has a high rate it also has a high rate of elderly (I'm one) folks that are at risk. Young healthy people in South Fl have a greater chance of being killed by a lightning strike than COVID. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/11/2020 at 4:06 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

He's also worked with Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota, Tim Tebow, Matt Cassell, Cody Kessler and Terrelle Pryor.  How are they doing?

At this point in a QB's career they either have the natural ability or they don't. Yes, refinements can be made to those who have talent but you can can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

• Post of the Week 1