Jets Sam Darnold plans workouts with WR's/Who's joining him in Florida?

9 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I'd bet it was the area closest to most of the players and I like the fact Sam didn't do it in SoCal. He's going out of his way and that'll earn respect from the team. Even though South Fl has a high rate it also has a high rate of elderly (I'm one) folks that are at risk. Young healthy people in South Fl have a greater chance of being killed by a lightning strike than COVID. 

That's a completely false statement & a pretty naïve one at that.

Yes, older people are more at risk, but, younger people are far from immune.

Do a little research, beyond what the main-stream media is feeding you.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That's a completely false statement & a pretty naïve one at that.

Yes, older people are more at risk, but, younger people are far from immune.

Do a little research, beyond what the main-stream media is feeding you.

Young healthy people have a virtual 0% risk of dying from COVID. A healthy 40 YO male is more at risk from the seasonal flu than from COVID. Facts.

• Upvote 2

Corona is scarier the more we learn about it. There are 30 year olds literally getting heart attacks a month or so after they recover. People who permanently get lung scarring in their 20s that need lung replacement surgery. It’s not the ******* flu at all.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I'd bet it was the area closest to most of the players and I like the fact Sam didn't do it in SoCal. He's going out of his way and that'll earn respect from the team. Even though South Fl has a high rate it also has a high rate of elderly (I'm one) folks that are at risk. Young healthy people in South Fl have a greater chance of being killed by a lightning strike than COVID. 

Either that or, like what actually happened, which was Bell and Perriman, who train in the area, reaching out and getting Sam and the others to join them down there.

Its great they’ve all gotten together, and props to Sam for being there, but lol at this being something Darnold gets credit for organizing.

54 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You are not very well informed;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/08/young-people-coronavirus-deaths/

The Post found at least 45 deaths among people in their 20s, at least 190 deaths among people in their 30s, and at least 413 deaths among people in their 40s.

This was just doing a very quick search; I'm sure I could find even more telling numbers if I dug a little deeper;

That's not exactly what I would call a 0% risk; Get your "facts" straight before you post a bunch of nonsense.

Here's more;

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21190033/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-by-age

This is an idiotic post. 50-100 deaths when talking about MILLIONS of cases is as close to 0% risk as there can be. Not to mention 90% of deaths under 50 are for from people with pre existing medical conditions. Not a SINGLE person fitting the physical profile of an NFL athlete has died from this. Not to mention the fact that at leas 50% of cases are asymptomatic or nearly asymptomatic so the number of “confirmed” cases can easily be multiplied by 100. The scientific fact of the matter is that a healthy person under 50 has a better chance of dying from the flu, and probably diarrhea, than Covid. 

I highly recommend that you inform yourself; look at the data and made rational decisions. 

From the fear mongering article you posted:

Data on more than 1,400 hospitalizations released Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed that just over 25 percent of people hospitalized with covid-19 were under age 50. Most of these young people suffered from underlying conditions such as asthma, diabetes and hypertension. But at least seven for whom the CDC had data had no outside health problems, underscoring that a small fraction of severe cases remain hard to explain.”

99.95% of hospitalizations are from people over 50 or people with underlying medical conditions. 

Lastly, even using 50 is deceiving. The numbers don’t really start to change until you get to 70. Something like 95% of all deaths form covid has been from people over 70. 

The idea of an NFL athlete, the modern day gladiator who literally bashes his head for a living would be afraid of covid is beyond laughable. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

The idea of an NFL athlete, the modern day gladiator who literally bashes his head for a living would be afraid of covid is beyond laughable. 

However indestructible you think these players may be, they all have families, many with large extended families. Big strong healthy athlete brings that bug to family dinner? What happens then? A starter on an OL or DL who's contagious, but is showing no other symptoms? That's very possibly both lines and that man's huddle sick with COVID-19. These guys have a right to be concerned. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, slats said:

However indestructible you think these players may be, they all have families, many with large extended families. Big strong healthy athlete brings that bug to family dinner? What happens then? A starter on an OL or DL who's contagious, but is showing no other symptoms? That's very possibly both lines and that man's huddle sick with COVID-19. These guys have a right to be concerned. 

It’s amazing. We are what? 4 months in, and this still needs to be explained to otherwise intelligent people.

one of my sisters had thyroid cancer a few years ago, and went for screening and blood work this week. She was also tested for covid.

the result was negative, but she told the doctor she wasn’t feeling well in January and hoped she had it, recovered, and wouldn’t have to worry about it again.

the doctor told her be grateful she didn’t, because no one knows the long range effects of having had it might be.

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Look we all love sports but the safety of others is more important than our need for sports.  Look if they can play with safety precautions and feel comfortable I’m all for it.  However if they are too concerned I understand.  Like I said life topples sports

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I get that, NFL players won’t be able to see their extended family for a while. They don’t see them much during the season anyway. I don’t understand why this is so complicated to some of you. 

59 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

It’s amazing. We are what? 4 months in, and this still needs to be explained to otherwise intelligent people.

one of my sisters had thyroid cancer a few years ago, and went for screening and blood work this week. She was also tested for covid.

the result was negative, but she told the doctor she wasn’t feeling well in January and hoped she had it, recovered, and wouldn’t have to worry about it again.

the doctor told her be grateful she didn’t, because no one knows the long range effects of having had it might be.

The NBA is playing their season in Orlando to keep the players isolated. Being an NFL player is a 24/7 job as it is. Players simply won’t be able to see their extended family until the end of the season. Not a hard solve here.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nico002 said:

This is an idiotic post. 50-100 deaths when talking about MILLIONS of cases is as close to 0% risk as there can be. Not to mention 90% of deaths under 50 are for from people with pre existing medical conditions. Not a SINGLE person fitting the physical profile of an NFL athlete has died from this. Not to mention the fact that at leas 50% of cases are asymptomatic or nearly asymptomatic so the number of “confirmed” cases can easily be multiplied by 100. The scientific fact of the matter is that a healthy person under 50 has a better chance of dying from the flu, and probably diarrhea, than Covid. 

I highly recommend that you inform yourself; look at the data and made rational decisions. 

From the fear mongering article you posted:

Data on more than 1,400 hospitalizations released Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed that just over 25 percent of people hospitalized with covid-19 were under age 50. Most of these young people suffered from underlying conditions such as asthma, diabetes and hypertension. But at least seven for whom the CDC had data had no outside health problems, underscoring that a small fraction of severe cases remain hard to explain.”

99.95% of hospitalizations are from people over 50 or people with underlying medical conditions. 

Lastly, even using 50 is deceiving. The numbers don’t really start to change until you get to 70. Something like 95% of all deaths form covid has been from people over 70. 

I didn't read this whole thread but have to ask, why is this being discussed here?

On 6/14/2020 at 2:26 AM, Maxman said:

I didn't read this whole thread but have to ask, why is this being discussed here?

Max;

I'm responsible for dragging this subject into this thread, because I mentioned that I didn't think it was smart for Sam Darnold & certain Jets players to be holding workouts in Dade County, Florida - which happens to be the hardest hit county in Florida by far, with active COVID 19 cases & deaths with 21.917 cases as of today; 3.433 hospitalizations & 825 deaths. 

I thought they could have picked a safer location that has been less affected - but some of the brainiacs on this forum, seem to think it's not that big a risk for young people.

Obviously, I'm dead wrong & young guys have nothing to be concerned about with COVID 19 pandemic; That's why Ohio State University is now mandating players to sign a COVID 19 waiver, in order to attend off-season work outs;

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ohio-state-requires-players-to-sign-covid-19-waivers-a-move-that-will-likely-become-commonplace/

I guess they must have a bunch of really OLD students at Ohio State;

There are some really foolish, naïve people here @Maxman; It's really unbelievable.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

On 6/13/2020 at 3:48 AM, Big_Slick said:

At this point in a QB's career they either have the natural ability or they don't. Yes, refinements can be made to those who have talent but you can can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

For real.  What exactly did he do to help Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Tom Brady or Drew Brees?  

"See how you threw that 98 mph slider on the black, Randy?  Yeah, do that again."

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2020 at 1:57 PM, talisaynon said:

Corona is scarier the more we learn about it. There are 30 year olds literally getting heart attacks a month or so after they recover. People who permanently get lung scarring in their 20s that need lung replacement surgery. It’s not the ******* flu at all.

True there are always outliers but the kill rate is still less than 1%

we have no way to mass produce and distribute a brand new vaccine in a timely manner.  Not to mention whatever drug company that first invents an effective vaccine will want to patent it despite all of the money for research coming from the NIHS

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

we have no way to mass produce and distribute a brand new vaccine in a timely manner.  Not to mention whatever drug company that first invents an effective vaccine will want to patent it despite all of the money for research coming from the NIHS

It's not even about the number of deaths or dying from COVID 19;

Look at what mono did to Sam (and the Jets season) last year - a disease nowhere near as serious as COVID 19.

Do we really want him putting himself at risk when he/they could have picked a safer location to mitigate the risk?

I've read a documented case back in March, where a 30 yr old male nurse, with no underlying health conditions, was put in the ICU for almost a month, on a ventilator, while battling this virus. While he did survive, he describes himself as being at death's doorstep during the worst of it.

Once you have this virus, you have it for life - there is no cure, (The vaccines that are in the works are simply to help relieve the symptoms - not a cure for the virus) which means you're more susceptible to other viruses & lung related issues down the road,; This is a documented fact and those who have done their research in depth, know that. 

Why take that kind of risk?

Sam doesn't need another season where he misses part of the season - or worst case, a whole season, due to illness, when smarter decision making could have gone a long way toward mitigating the risk.

Heck, I don't want to see any Jets players have to deal with that kind of season altering/life altering setback.

I understand we have a couple of members of the forum, dealing with this disease as we speak and I hope they are doing well & hanging in there; My prayers go out to them.

Look at what's happening with the Dallas Cowboys & Houston Texans as we speak;

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/15/us/dallas-cowboys-houston-texans-coronavirus-spt-trnd/index.html

18 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It's not even about the number of deaths or dying from COVID 19;

Look at what mono did to Sam (and the Jets season) last year - a disease nowhere near as serious as COVID 19.

Do we really want him putting himself at risk when he/they could have picked a safer location to mitigate the risk?

I've read a documented case where a 30 yr old male nurse, with no underlying health conditions, was put in the ICU for almost a month, on a ventilator, while battling this virus. While he did survive, he describes himself as being at death's doorstep during the worst of it.

Once you have this virus, you have it for life - there is no cure, (The vaccines that are in the works are simply to help relieve the symptoms - not a cure for the virus) which means you're more susceptible to other viruses & lung related issues down the road,; This is a documented fact and those who have done their research in depth know that. 

Why take that kind of risk?

Sam doesn't need another season where he misses part of the season - or worst case, a whole season, due to illness, when smarter decision making could have gone a long way toward mitigating the risk.

Heck, I don't want to see any Jets players have to deal with that kind of season altering/life altering setback.

I understand we have a couple of members of the forum, dealing with this disease as we speak and I hope they are doing well & hanging in there; My prayers go out to them.

Look at what's happening with the Dallas Cowboys & Houston Texans as we speak;

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/15/us/dallas-cowboys-houston-texans-coronavirus-spt-trnd/index.html

Holy crap you are so wrong on so many levels, where to even begin ...

First of all, for people in Sams age group and physical profile, mono is a more serious disease than covid 19. The vast majority of people in their 20s experience no symptoms or those of a mild cold. Mono knocks you out for months almost every time.

The fact that you can find a single case of a 30 year old being hospitalized is irrelevant and non sensical. I can give you examples of 30 year olds being hospitalized by diarrhea. Darnold has a better chance of being hit by lightning than catching covid and requiring intubation. 

I don’t know what tabloid or conspiracy theory website you got this theory that you get covid “for life” and that it makes you immunocompromised. That’s nonsense. How on earth would anyone know the lifetime impacts of a virus that has been around for 6 months. Not possible. 

What’s happening with the Dallas Cowboys is that players are being proactively tested and some are positive. They feel fine and are asymptomatic. Means nothing. 

Stop spreading lies, fear and misinformation. Start using common sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

In general, I don't think people are being cautious enough or taking it seriously enough,  But I have yet to hear about a single young athlete dying of Covid, or even getting seriously ill from it.  I would guess that maybe it's happened, but I haven't heard of it.

35 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

In general, I don't think people are being cautious enough or taking it seriously enough,  But I have yet to hear about a single young athlete dying of Covid, or even getting seriously ill from it.  I would guess that maybe it's happened, but I haven't heard of it.

The world economy has been shut down and most of us haven’t been out of the house in 3 months, but yea, we aren’t taking it seriously enough 

• Upvote 1

45% of us population age 0-34 = 143,489,100 people
age 35-54 = 81,990,600, so take half of those (estimating) = 40,995,300
143,489,100 + 40,995,300
184,484,400‬ (estimated population between 0-44)
source: https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/distribution-by-age/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}

777 deaths in us age 0-44
source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

Means people 0-44 in the US have a 0.0004211738228273% chance of dying of covid

According to nsc.org, you have a 1 in 180,746 chance of dying by lightning strike which works out to a 0.00055326258949022% chance. 

source: https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

Conclusion

0.00055326258949022% > 0.0004211738228273%

You have a better chance of dying by lightning strike than you do of dying of covid if you're under 45 and living in the US. More people will die of covid and the chance will go up. We'll see if it over takes death by lightning strike but I highly doubt it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/15/2020 at 9:42 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

143,489,100 + 40,995,300
source: https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/distribution-by-age/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel={"colId":"Location","sort":"asc"}

According to nsc.org, you have a 1 in 180,746 chance of dying by lightning strike which works out to a 0.00055326258949022% chance. 

source: https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/

Conclusion

You have a better chance of dying by lightning strike than you do of dying of covid if you're under 45 and living in the US. More people will die of covid and the chance will go up. We'll see if it over takes death by lightning strike but I highly doubt it.

Tell those stats to the almost 120,000 people who have died in just the last 4 months.    

On 6/15/2020 at 9:42 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

143,489,100 + 40,995,300

Conclusion

The data on the site you referenced disagrees.  It shows 9,176 deaths in the 35-44 age group, 3,298 in the 25-34 age group and another 1,500+ in younger ages.  I find the interface very clumsy, so it's possible the chart I set up isn't accurate, but based on the labels, it should be.  So lets call that 14k deaths in people 0-44 (I don't know how you got 777 unless that was for a specific week).

Which raises the odds to roughly 1 in 13,000.  But that's across all people in the country, not just those who were exposed.  There's not really a good way to determine the right denominator for this analysis.  What you really want to understand is three things:

1) What is my risk of being exposed

2) What is my risk of being infected, if exposed

3) What is my risk of serious debilitation or dying if infected.

We just don't know enough based on the limited data I've been able to find.  But we've already seen players turn up infected.  So just to pick a number, let's say 1 in 100 who are infected will get sick enough to not be able to play (and I suspect it's higher than that).  There are about 1,700 players in the league.  That risk is not the same as lightning strikes.  I'm not in a position to judge anyone else's risk-reward math, but you may be grossly understating the actual risk here.

image.png

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The data on the site you referenced disagrees.  It shows 9,176 deaths in the 35-44 age group, 3,298 in the 25-34 age group and another 1,500+ in younger ages.  I find the interface very clumsy, so it's possible the chart I set up isn't accurate, but based on the labels, it should be.  So lets call that 14k deaths in people 0-44 (I don't know how you got 777 unless that was for a specific week).

Which raises the odds to roughly 1 in 13,000.  But that's across all people in the country, not just those who were exposed.  There's not really a good way to determine the right denominator for this analysis.  What you really want to understand is three things:

1) What is my risk of being exposed

2) What is my risk of being infected, if exposed

3) What is my risk of serious debilitation or dying if infected.

We just don't know enough based on the limited data I've been able to find.  But we've already seen players turn up infected.  So just to pick a number, let's say 1 in 100 who are infected will get sick enough to not be able to play (and I suspect it's higher than that).  There are about 1,700 players in the league.  That risk is not the same as lightning strikes.  I'm not in a position to judge anyone else's risk-reward math, but you may be grossly understating the actual risk here.

image.png

FFS - I left out the 35-44 deaths like an idiot. Thank you. I don't see where you're getting this from though? "3,298 in the 25-34 age group and another 1,500+ in younger ages."

I got the data from the chart below, but like I said I f'd up and didn't include the 35-44 deaths which was the biggest group.

cdeath.thumb.png.09badd063fd5ecdc061dcbb5f10fdae7.png

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

FFS - I left out the 35-44 deaths like an idiot. Thank you. I don't see where you're getting this from though? "3,298 in the 25-34 age group and another 1,500+ in younger ages."

I got the data from the chart below, but like I said I f'd up and didn't include the 35-44 deaths which was the biggest group.

cdeath.thumb.png.09badd063fd5ecdc061dcbb5f10fdae7.png

Like I said.  The site is remarkably bad.  I ran charts two different ways and got two different answers to the same question, which makes it all suspect.  But here's how I set it up.  Pretty simple.  COVID-19 deaths by Age Group.

image.png

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Like I said.  The site is remarkably bad.  I ran charts two different ways and got two different answers to the same question, which makes it all suspect.  But here's how I set it up.  Pretty simple.  COVID-19 deaths by Age Group.

image.png

are you limiting to US? Right off the bat I can tell you that's way more deaths than in the US.