Can Joe Douglas add FA WR ?

Fellow Jets fans :

it seems that we are at least a wide receiver or two away from being competitive even with the addition of Denzel Mims to our wide receiver squad .  All of us recognize that Sam needs some more targets even with our TE returning healthy . Enunwa is gone. 
JD rebuilt our entire OL. There’s still work to be done though .Are. there any FAs WR  left that we could still snatch up to help this team? 

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He must really like perriman and Doctson.

I still wish he would have drafted another WR when he had the chance, he has to hope cager or campbell impress

And Mims and Herndon and Crowder and Bell out of the backfield. 

I think Douglas waits until training camp to see what he has in Mims, Doctson, Perriman and even Herndon before making a move for a vet WR. And I doubt that would be a FA, it would likely be a trade like we saw for DT last year. 

The good news is that this was a loaded rookie WR class so there are teams that may find themselves with a vet WR that won't crack their starting 2/3 WRs and would be thrilled to land a 5/6th round pick in return. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, sheastadiumjetfan said:

Fellow Jets fans :

it seems that we are at least a wide receiver or two away from being competitive even with the addition of Denzel Mims to our wide receiver squad .  All of us recognize that Sam needs some more targets even with our TE returning healthy . Enunwa is gone. 
JD rebuilt our entire OL. There’s still work to be done though .Are. there any FAs WR  left that we could still snatch up to help this team? 

We're fine at WR for 2020.

Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Herndon, Bell & Gore are the starters.

Docton & Berrios, Griffin, Cannon & Perine the primary backups.

And we have some developmental prospects.  Like Cager.

Douglas isn't adding any more WR's IMO.  If he was, he'd have drafted one.

And if we DO need more, it'll be the 2021 Draft where we get them.   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If Douglas wanted more talent he would gave added it.  Just because critics say we should have drafted another receiver or retained Anderson.  Doesnt mean that Joe is uncomfortable with the situation.  If he's willing to role with what we have then I am.  We will find out quickly enough if they are good enough for Sam's game.

• Upvote 1

Vyncint Smith is a ridiculous athlete who could contribute. 

I wish we had one more viable guy. I’d like to see Berrios upgraded. 

I think we can get by in 2020 but it’s thin

next years draft will again be loaded at WR and maybe even more importantly the WR free agent class should be good. I’m sure JD has his eye on it and maybe has something to do with only giving Perriman a one year prove it deal 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TnT said:

If you’re not adding a number 1, no point we have 2’s, 3’s, 4’s, and 5’s...

Lets find out who’s going to help this team going forward.

Who are the 2s? Mims the rookie I guess maybe?

All the rest are 3s at best until they show somwthing...god I hope they can just get open on more than one drive a game

19 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Who are the 2s? Mims the rookie I guess maybe?

All the rest are 3s at best until they show somwthing...god I hope they can just get open on more than one drive a game

Perriman/Crowder/Mims are 2’s

10 hours ago, sheastadiumjetfan said:

Fellow Jets fans :

I a concerned of injury so at least sign back D. Thomas to provide depth which don't have a lot of at WR.

• Upvote 1

The Jets currently have a fantastic Receiving back 2 very good emerging TE's and a fantastic slot WR, they are primed to attack the middle of the field and let the Outside guys develop with Sam over time since most of them are new. Can you guys think of any other teams that attacked the middle of the field with 2 good TE's and a solid RB catching passes out of the backfield and a above average Slot Receiver ? Before Hernandez started killing people and Gronk could not stay healthy those 2 were absolutely unstoppable. That's not to say our 2 are in that league but they certainly are good and very young to boot and showed they are up for the task by both having long stretches of above average TE play .  Its going to be hard to double any of these players that emerge and keep in mind Herndon can also line up outside if need be. With what might just be a very solid O-Line this team can become a move the chains nightmare for many defenses and as good as our defense is and will be we are looking at a playoff team that could really emerge IF Sam is the Guy . In all honesty that's what all of this is about, either Sam has it or he does not and this season will let us know that for sure. This is a very well rounded offense and I see no reason this team should not be able to make huge strides in time of possession and control football games.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Vader said:

Bell is going to have like 80+ catches. Crowder will have like 80+ catches. 

everything else is fill in the blanks. 

we dont need the least explosive RB in the NFL to have 80 catches...   inflating Sams comp % is 2ndary to getting chunk plays and putting pts up

of course douglas can add a wr.  no telling what happens during training camp.  so much of this is going to be dependent on the players wanting to continue to be football players.  perriman, doctson all have something to prove if they want to keep playing.  hopefully the right attitude is conveyed to mims.  then all they needs is to get in tune with darnold.  if these guys come around along with the potential of herndon/griffen and known pass catching of bell/gore/crowder and there will be plenty of players to target in the passing game.

and let's add becton and fant.  talk about big bodies who probably have decent hands.

22 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The Jets currently have a fantastic Receiving back 2 very good emerging TE's and a fantastic slot WR, they are primed to attack the middle of the field and let the Outside guys develop with Sam over time since most of them are new. Can you guys think of any other teams that attacked the middle of the field with 2 good TE's and a solid RB catching passes out of the backfield and a above average Slot Receiver ? Before Hernandez started killing people and Gronk could not stay healthy those 2 were absolutely unstoppable. That's not to say our 2 are in that league but they certainly are good and very young to boot and showed they are up for the task by both having long stretches of above average TE play .  Its going to be hard to double any of these players that emerge and keep in mind Herndon can also line up outside if need be. With what might just be a very solid O-Line this team can become a move the chains nightmare for many defenses and as good as our defense is and will be we are looking at a playoff team that could really emerge IF Sam is the Guy . In all honesty that's what all of this is about, either Sam has it or he does not and this season will let us know that for sure. This is a very well rounded offense and I see no reason this team should not be able to make huge strides in time of possession and control football games.

i added a few bold parts.

fantastic #1? good, sure.

fantastgic #2 Crowder is fine. But he isnt fantastic either.

Long stretches? Long? Not so much. 

If Sam is the guy....        pretty much that, afaiac

14 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

If Sam is as good as we say he is, he has enough.  He should actually be making people better if he is the franchise QB we say he is.

I agree.   The only issue is that with this group, if it fails, it will be fairly easy to say that these players couldn't be elevated.  I think that is why they want a vet.  The problem is that any vets they get now would be in the same boat.  If they sign Demaryius Thomas back and he is worse than last year, can anybody actually pin that on Darnold?

21 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

If Sam is as good as we say he is, he has enough.  He should actually be making people better if he is the franchise QB we say he is.

How exactly does a QB make a WR “better”?   I hear people say this about QBs and I kinda laugh at it.   Aside from making proper decisions and knowing where to go with the ball, how does Sam make a WR better?   Can he make them run faster?  Can he change the way they catch the ball?  Can he make them run a route better?   It’s a silly concept IMO. 

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How exactly does a QB make a WR “better”?   I hear people say this about QBs and I kinda laugh at it.   Aside from making proper decisions and knowing where to go with the ball, how does Sam make a WR better?   Can he make them run faster?  Can he change the way they catch the ball?  Can he make them run a route better?   It’s a silly concept IMO. 

It’s a pretty simple concept.  A WR can’t make plays if the ball isn’t being thrown to him

• Upvote 1

Still wondering why we haven’t signed Demariyus Thomas to a reasonable one year deal

He already knows Gase’s system, played fairly well with Sam here last season.  I guess he really doesn’t want to be here or Douglas thinks he’s done