So why can't Cam Newton find a job?

On 6/17/2020 at 10:58 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Even if Belichick ever might tank, he would never tank this year. I don't see him giving Brady that immediate satisfaction of potentially squeaking into the playoffs in Tampa while NE instantly sinks from another division winner with him to 4th place without him. Nope.

I don’t think he has a choice

the patriots roster isn’t good 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He’d retire before purposely having a worse record than Brady this year

I still think Belichick takes the year off.  His son could be interim coach while the team tanks which in the long run is actually the best thing for him and the patriots

On 6/20/2020 at 8:21 AM, Philc1 said:

I still think Belichick takes the year off.  His son could be interim coach while the team tanks which in the long run is actually the best thing for him and the patriots

Nah not at this point. Only way he takes the year off is if the whole league takes the year off. Cowardly announcing in the summer that he’s sitting out the year is no better for his reputation than staying and losing. 

Assuming there are games, he’s coaching and trying to win. It’d be even better for his ego if he still wins the division sans Brady and a two of last year’s starting LBers. Could be he didn’t think Bentley will be a downgrade worthy of re-signing Van Noy at $13MM per, and Collins was just a 1-year re-rental anyway. No one was OMG’ing over him while he was in Cleveland. Unfortunately he’s likely to get production from someone else, and for all we know it’ll be friggin Copeland. Their D should still be very good at worst. What’ll be interesting is if those blatant holding calls still go unpunished when they’re not protecting the goldendouche.

They’re not suddenly the 2017 Jets.

• Upvote 2

I recall that the NFL arranged for a workout for him, made a big deal out of it, and he didn’t show up.  It didn’t matter to me as we have a franchise quarterback so I paid it little attention, but I do remember that it happened. 

SAR I

You mean that bullsh*t photo op masquerading as was workout?
  • Upvote 1

What makes me not like Cam is that I've seen many times where he throws a TD pass then runs to the opposite side of the End zone from where his teammates are celebrating and stands there beating his chest all by himself. It just rubs me the wrong way.

On 6/10/2020 at 11:36 AM, Wonderboy said:

Pats will not sign Cam. They looking to tank for Trevor.  Unlike Macc, BB knows how to tank. Possibly the Redskins would be a good fit. Owner loves making splash moves and Haskins is highly questionable and could use some grooming time. 

There isnt a chance in hell they win the fewest amount of games in the NFL with their roster and coaching staff

Come on here is nothing that ever says a team is tanking for anyone, this isnt basketball and there are not real givens in the NFL

6 hours ago, DLJ said:

You mean that bullsh*t photo op masquerading as was workout?

The first time in history they set up a workout for all teams for a player during the season and he didn't deserve it.  He made it a sideshow like usual.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:21 AM, Philc1 said:

BBs legacy is on the line, if he goes back to his pre Brady days it destroys what he did with (because of) Brady.  He has to be more determined that ever to win.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:12 PM, jetspenguin said:

This is a lazy comparison and not close to being true.

Kap was and is black balled.

A.P. is a full blown psycho despite several teams trying to sign his crazy arse. Pats, raiders...its insane that so many people took chances on him AFTER he threw furniture off a balcony.

Cam got released way too late. It's musical chairs and by the time he was free the music already stopped. It didn't help that we had COVID-19 and he was previously injured.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

He was never blackballed, he wasn't good. If he was a team would have signed him but no team wants a Tebow like distraction with a backup QB.  If he was worth it he'd have been signed in a heartbeat.

Cam was a great QB but I agree the timing was poor to go with his recent years of not being healthy.  A healthy Cam gets scooped up immediately.

Two totally different situations

On 6/11/2020 at 8:21 AM, Philc1 said:

Before this thread gets locked let me just say, and I dont like Colin Kaepernick, but it’s hard to argue he isn’t blacklisted when David Fales is on a nfl roster

Teams can lose with fales, Geno, Kaepernick or whoever. These are not difference making QBs but what separates takes, Geno and others from kap is that they don't bring a media circus with them.  No coach or owner wants that with their backup.  Remember tebow here? It's destructive to a team.  Kap was not a good QB, he could have been a good backup but it wasn't worth it for teams.

He didn't really throw a consistent accurate pass, has poor touch too, when he wasn't running. Banged up to much. Would have loved to see what he could have done if he was a pocket passer, he's prototype tall like Brady, Mannings, Ben etc. Big, stand in there and take the hits. Attitude, and possible distraction? Now I didn't watch all his games but I always recall him sitting on the bench with a towel over his head, while I see other Qb's looking over past plays or studying on their tablets.

2 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

He didn't really throw a consistent accurate pass, has poor touch too, when he wasn't running. Banged up to much. Would have loved to see what he could have done if he was a pocket passer, he's prototype tall like Brady, Mannings, Ben etc. Big, stand in there and take the hits. Attitude, and possible distraction? Now I didn't watch all his games but I always recall him sitting on the bench with a towel over his head, while I see other Qb's looking over past plays or studying on their tablets.

Cam was a GREAT QB at his peak.  Look at the offensive talent around him when they had that great 2015 season.  It was basically all Cam.  His decline has everything to do with health, all those big his he took (and delivered) running took their toll.  What might be best for him is to sit out this season and get 100% healthy or backup a top QB with no chance of playing unless the starter gets injured.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Cam was a GREAT QB at his peak.  Look at the offensive talent around him when they had that great 2015 season.  It was basically all Cam.  His decline has everything to do with health, all those big his he took (and delivered) running took their toll.  What might be best for him is to sit out this season and get 100% healthy or backup a top QB with no chance of playing unless the starter gets injured.

In my book, the term GREAT, involves consistency throughout vast majority of any type of career. You must be able to throw as QB with timing, accuracy, and touch and have some escape ability...... not just run.

6 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

In my book, the term GREAT, involves consistency throughout vast majority of any type of career. You must be able to throw as QB with timing, accuracy, and touch and have some escape ability...... not just run.

He could do everything and was a top QB for the majority of his career. What he was able to do without top talent around him was amazing.

Because he’s an injury prone diva with a terrible personality who is probably demanding a starting job and a truckload of cash. Joe Flacco is a super bowl mvp and signed to be our QB3 for 1 million bucks. I’m sure cam could get that role if he wanted.
Flacco will end up being the number two... Praying Donald holds on the number one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Here's my theory not on Cam, but any player in a similar situation.

A once good/great player whose performace was good enough to put up with anything behind the scenes (or out in the open) that rubbed people the wrong way.  At some point, a player will get where he's still good enough to play, but no longer at a point where he'll play well enough to make the headaches worth it.

First guy I really noticed this with was TO, and that's because he was such a pain that I said for years he'd be out of the league sooner than he should be because once he becomes an average/above average player, his production won't be worth the drama.  If you watch TO in his final season, he probably had a couple solid seasons in the tank.  However, "solid" isn't good enough when you're a distraction.

Even Tebow.  While he was  a terrible quarterback, I think a couple of teams would've given him a longer look, but because he drew such an insane amount of media attention, there were no coaches left that were willing to have him around.  Level of production has to outweigh level of drama/distraction for any player.

Markus Golden is another example.  For weeks I kept asking why the Jets weren't signing a guy with two double-digit sack seasons in the past four years.  Then I took a step back and asked why no team in the NFL has signed a guy with two double-digit sack seasons in the past four years.  Premium position and high level prodcution but no contract?  There's something there that we don't know about.

Cam is too good to not have a job.  At this point, no team thinks he's worth having on their roster.  Now if a team suffers an injury?  If Cam becomes the best option, he goes from not being worth it, to being worth it, and somebody will give him a job.

Edited by AFJF

23 hours ago, choon328 said:

What makes me not like Cam is that I've seen many times where he throws a TD pass then runs to the opposite side of the End zone from where his teammates are celebrating and stands there beating his chest all by himself. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Think the bigger problem is his shoulder. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Him and Kaepernick were actually very similar throwers.  0 touch.  Try to rifle in throws to short and medium routes

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Markus Golden is another example.  For weeks I kept asking why the Jets weren't signing a guy with two double-digit sack seasons in the past four years.  Then I took a step back and asked why no team in the NFL has signed a guy with two double-digit sack seasons in the past four years.  Premium position and high level prodcution but no contract?  There's something there that we don't know about.

Cam is too good to not have a job.  At this point, no team thinks he's worth having on their roster.  Now if a team suffers an injury?  If Cam becomes the best option, he goes from not being worth it, to being worth it, and somebody will give him a job.

COVID complicates things.  Free agency slowed to a crawl leading up to the draft and basically ever since.  

Could some of these players have warts we don't know about, which prevented them from getting scooped up in the early stages of free agency?  Sure.  But it's all clouded with uncertainty.

5 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Teams want to make sure they have cap room for Jamal Adams, just in case.

Starting to think teams are realizing Adams is overrated and with Capocalypse ‘21 coming who wants to pay a box safety $100 million?

On 6/10/2020 at 9:51 AM, nico002 said:

Because he’s an injury prone diva with a terrible personality who is probably demanding a starting job and a truckload of cash. Joe Flacco is a super bowl mvp and signed to be our QB3 for 1 million bucks. I’m sure cam could get that role if he wanted.

This is the answer. 

he’s hella talented, but he’s frustratingly injury prone, past his prime, and inaccurate