Philc1

Vyncint Smith, you will be speaking his name

he came in late and put up some decent numbers and made some good catches.  he's got speed and size and there's every reason to think he could be one of the keepers.

• Upvote 2

It's about consistency.  No doubt physically he has all the tools you'd look for from a WR, but can he consistently get open, can he get off press, can he make consistent catches.  Thats what separates honestly. 

I would love to see who this guy is working with in the offseason, almost all these guys have trainers, but you can see who the best guys in the business are and who the top WR's are working with.  If I was one of these guys trying to make it, obviously its a premium price, but I would be working with the top guys I could get to train me. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think he ends up being the underdog hero of the jets if we have a season.  Not only will he be called on to start but he will be effective and surprisingly so

i don't see how there isn't a season. .  . . . 

V. .Smith made some plays last year, honestly we need someone to step up in a big way. Our WR core outside of Crowder is garbage really a hope and a prayer. 

Not counting Mims because he is a rookie, I expect him to be up and down early but improve through season.

• Like 1

Vyncynt Smythe will indeed start... 

at Kick Returner 

he's a developmental wr4 with upside

he will play real snaps for Perriman when the latter inevitably gets hurt 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I think he ends up being the underdog hero of the jets if we have a season.  Not only will he be called on to start but he will be effective and surprisingly so

Who will he be starting over, Mims, Crowder or Perriman?

From what he showed last year, which was only a small sample size, he looks like an NFL player, and should get a long look.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Is it me or do Perriman, Mims and Vyncint Smith all have similar profiles.....tall, very fast, deep threats, some minor concerns about their abilities to run other routes or be "complete WRs", etc.?  For the record, I like Smith as well.  If he earns the WR4/5 spot that would be great.

I agree they’re similar and I don’t think it’s an accident. Based on the way talent has been brought in I think the goal is low volume big play threats on the outside with more of the passing game being funneled through the middle of the field (slot, tight end, etc). Spread the field vertically, get players the ball in space, and make teams pay when they overcommit to defending the middle of the field.

I think we’re so used to the traditional idea that a team’s top two receivers are outside guys that people look at Perriman and Mims as the number one and two receivers. But Crowder is going to lead the team in targets if he’s healthy - the lesser of Perriman and Mims will at best be third one the team in targets. Crowder is absolutely not a traditional top target, though if at some point they get to Perriman or Mims demanding a similar amount of targets outside to what Crowder is getting from the slot then Crowder settles into a #2 possession type role he’s frankly very well suited for and the #3 target continues to keep the field spread as a deep threat. It’s not ideal - though the elite receivers often aren’t on winning teams anyway and it’s an interesting allocation of resources.

The real interesting thing will be if they’re able to acquire a more explosive slot guy to be more of a true alpha on the offense - or an elite tight end to do the same. Ideally both. That’s basically what the Chiefs run out personnel wise.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You can make the argument if he shows up to camp improved he may initially start over Mims.  Although I think as the season goes on Mims will establish himself as a consistent starter.

Crowder is the only guy right now locked in as a starter.  Perriman if he continues his play that he displayed during the final stretch of games last year then he would certainly be locked in as well, although that is a big IF currently as its such a small sample size. Even with that being said I would expect Perriman, by virtue of being a veteran, to start out the gates.  

Mims to me is the wild card, which isnt really a revolutionary comment.  Obviously being a rookie leaves the understanding that there will be a learning curve, as with all rookies. Now I do not think Mims has as far to go to develop into a starter that obviously others thought (hence why he dropped) . Realistically, I would expect him to be rotated in with Vyncent smith or another WR who steps up in camp, initially.  Now all that changes if Mims comes to camp and has really improved on his release moves and eliminated a step out of his breaks as that will significantly improve his ability to get open consistently. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Vyncynt Smythe will indeed start... 

at Kick Returner 

he's a developmental wr4 with upside

he will play real snaps for Perriman when the latter inevitably gets hurt 

It's silly really he played better than robbie last year and people were ready to make him the clear number 1. I like smythe. Could be a 3 maybe more if given opportunities.  But kid needs to be able to get open. That seems to be our problem. Partly due to players...more probably  on scheme

• Upvote 1

Hope your stars align
The wish for stickem
, blackedened spray 

Look out on a training day 
With eyes that know the hallowed frozen bench

Shadows on the Flanker Number 2
Sketch the rooks, that take your job
Catch the camp arms and the summer lob
In summer colors with the Gang at Florham Green

your position on the starting team, is always up in the Merlife air...

(But I could have told you Vyncint)

This team was never meant, for someone

as average as you....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

he came in late and put up some decent numbers and made some good catches.  he's got speed and size and there's every reason to think he could be one of the keepers.

Plus he’s young and developing.  He’s still an unknown quantity 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Perriman after he gets hurt 

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Perriman after he gets hurt 

I prefer to hope Perriman will stay healthy and play well.  He's a better potential talent than Smith.

Same as I do for Darnold, who will hopefully play his first full 16 games season in 2020.

Rooting for injury so a backup can play seems, to me, to be in bad taste.

Who will he be starting over, Mims or Perriman?

Yes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

It's my hope that the reason the Jets didn't take a couple WRs in the first three rounds is because of this guy. That they believe he can at least be Robby Anderson's replacement. I have some hope in him. More than I do for a guy like Doctson. 

i'll give an upvote for an oddball take...    that i get in ye old takes one to know one manner...

Doctson I have zero belief..  VS...   Smith...not zero.....albeit, minimal............ plus i root for UDFA Wrs..benn doing since Bobby Jones

born in Germany, went to Limestone, a Christian college in Gaffney, SC ( where House o Cards prez was born)....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

i'll give an upvote for an oddball take...    that i get in ye old takes one to know one manner...

Doctson I have zero belief..  VS...   Smith...not zero.....albeit, minimal............ plus i root for UDFA Wrs..benn doing since Bobby Jones

born in Germany, went to Limestone, a Christian college in Gaffney, SC ( where House o Cards prez was born)....

Doctson has been in the nfl longer and shown less

• Upvote 3

not that i am predicting he'll start...   but if we are to play THIS game, I would say Perriman is the odd man out....  Mimsy gonna play

I definitely root for a guy like Smith this is my kind of player. I love the Underdog Story. He will always have a chip on his shoulder and have something to prove. Reminds me a little bit of Jericho Cotchery.

It's not who Smith will replace in the starting lineup as all positions have been told to learn everything. This includes the D-backs the wide receivers the o-line name it. Everyone has to learn multiple positions. this is a good thing

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

But Crowder is going to lead the team in targets if he’s healthy - the lesser of Perriman and Mims will at best be third one the team in targets. Crowder is absolutely not a traditional top target, though if at some point they get to Perriman or Mims demanding a similar amount of targets outside to what Crowder is getting from the slot then Crowder settles into a #2 possession type role he’s frankly very well suited for and the #3 target continues to keep the field spread as a deep threat.

been saying Crowda is gonna get the targets, too.

My think is that they are wanting Mimsy to be the alpha, and Crowda slides to #2 and Perriman is the #3.

( a la, Key, Chrebet and Ward)

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Doctson has been in the nfl longer and shown less

thats what im sayn

9 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I definitely root for a guy like Smith this is my kind of player. I love the Underdog Story. He will always have a chip on his shoulder and have something to prove. Reminds me a little bit of Jericho Cotchery.

It's not who Smith will replace in the starting lineup as all positions have been told to learn everything. This includes the D-backs the wide receivers the o-line name it. Everyone has to learn multiple positions. this is a good thing

I think one of his parents was also active duty military 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Is it me or do Perriman, Mims and Vyncint Smith all have similar profiles.....tall, very fast, deep threats, some minor concerns about their abilities to run other routes or be "complete WRs", etc.?  For the record, I like Smith as well.  If he earns the WR4/5 spot that would be great.

We do have the WR coaches to make something beautiful of the situation though. Let’s see.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Wholly agree.  Smith showed progress late in the season as he got more involved in the offense.

• Upvote 2

I have high hopes for him, but am optimistically cautious because his body of work last season is small.  

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It's silly really he played better than robbie last year and people were ready to make him the clear number 1. I like smythe. Could be a 3 maybe more if given opportunities.  But kid needs to be able to get open. That seems to be our problem. Partly due to players...more probably  on scheme

Problem is, with an O line letting guys through in under 2 seconds it's almost impossible to get nice and open when the QB needs to release the ball. Hopefully an improved O line with an extra second or two of protection will help these guys get separation. 

• Upvote 1

One thing I’ve been wondering is if they are signing players to the coaching strength.

We’re signing guys that have height/speed, which are traits that can’t be taught. Van Jefferson has great route running, so I’m assuming Shawn Jefferson is good at teaching route running techniques and combinations. Apparently megatron called him the best WR coach he knows.

Perriman, great except his release and
route stems.

Mims, great except he needs to learn the nuances of route running.

Cager, potential, but definitely needs help with route stems.

Smith, height/speed, but needs route running help.

Doctson, mediocre, but definitely needs help with route stems and release.

I feel like we’re going after guys that could take a big step forward if their routes improve. It fits into a system narrative, where we can target undervalued guys that we can possibly coach up.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Is physicality and speed certainly pop 

I've watched some film and sometimes he body catches and kind of goes right to the ground. That being said you never know when any of these guys are going to come from out of nowhere and just put it all together. That's the reason we watch, that the reason we root, and the reason we're fans. Bilal Powell was one of these guys. Not everybody has to be a superstar just show up on Sundays and make plays.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I've watched some film and sometimes he body catches and kind of goes right to the ground. That being said you never know when any of these guys are going to come from out of nowhere and just put it all together. That's the reason we watch, that the reason we root, and the reason we're fans. Bilal Powell was one of these guys. Not everybody has to be a superstar just show up on Sundays and make plays.

yea I agree but he has a little of that Enunwa yac ability where he can just burst through traffic and not go down when he actually does turn around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1