Bills Running Back Josh Allen: 'I'm not going to be Captain Checkdown'

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-qb-josh-allen-i-m-not-going-to-be-captain-checkdown

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 04:10 PM

Bills QB Josh Allen: 'I'm not going to be Captain Checkdown'

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen has no plans to discard his gunslinger mentality.

"I'm not going to be Captain Checkdown," Allen said Thursday, via ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques. "I'm going to continue to play the game the way I love it."

No one would mistake Allen with a checkdown king. Pro Football Focus published a study that showed over the past two years, Allen threw just 20 checkdowns on 880 attempts. His 2.3 percent was the lowest among all qualifying quarterbacks. On third downs, Allen particularly refuses to give up on plays. He's thrown just one checkdown on 245 third-down attempts (0.4 percent).

The goal for Allen is balancing his aggressive nature with smart play. It's not always bad to take the checkdown as opposed to forcing a pass downfield, to, say, a double-covered fullback.

Allen admitted he must improve his completion percentage. To get better, the third-year pro has been watching tape of Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers this offseason.

"Late in games, they're not trying to force things," Allen said, via NFL Network's Kimberly Jones, noting he's been too "eager" to make a play when he should let things come to him.

The addition of Stefon Diggs rounds out Allen's receiver corps with a trio -- coupled with John Brown and Cole Beasley -- that can all get separation off the line of scrimmage. The wideouts should make life easier on Allen. He doesn't have to become Charlie Checkdown but must make the right reads to get his weapons in space and let them do work for him this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fun!  Given his inaccuracy (56.3 % completions, 6.6 Y/A thru his first 2 seasons) he would have to attempt approximately 575 passes next season to get to that 3,800 mark. 

Personally, I'm excited about the prospect of him dropping back that many times.  Think of the wonderfully creative ways he'll find to take sacks and give the ball to the opposition!

Well, get your popcorn ready buddy.

i think this is the put up or shut up year for Allen, Mayfield and Sam.

• Upvote 3

I don’t get how he has any success at all. Almost 20 minutes of highlights and he’d give me a heart attack if I was the HC or OC. He’s sloppy, uncoordinated, has a weird release, absolutely no touch and is that not good of a runner but he makes plays on top of all the mistakes. He’s a sloppy hyper version of brett farve. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fun!  Given his inaccuracy (56.3 % completions, 6.6 Y/A thru his first 2 seasons) he would have to attempt approximately 575 passes next season to get to that 3,800 mark. 

Personally, I'm excited about the prospect of him dropping back that many times.  Think of the wonderfully creative ways he'll find to take sacks and give the ball to the opposition!

Having him in the division increases the odds that The Prez gets an interception in 2020.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t get how he has any success at all. Almost 20 minutes of highlights and he’d give me a heart attack if I was the HC or OC. He’s sloppy, uncoordinated, has a weird release, absolutely no touch and is that not good of a runner but he makes plays on top of all the mistakes. He’s a sloppy hyper version of brett farve. 

The fact that you said he is not that good of a runner invalidates everything you said.

5 hours ago, hamat711 said:

The fact that you said he is not that good of a runner invalidates everything you said.

Show me the runs that he did last year that wowed you. He’s not a running quarterback he’s a mobile quarterback. Out of all the runs that he had last year to maybe three of them I was impressed with. Most of them we’re not impressive. 

16 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Prediction. Josh Allen has a breakout season in 2020.

3800+ passing yards and since he’s also a RB @Jetsfan80, he’s obviously going to put up gobs of rushing yards also. He will end the year ranked among the top 15 QBs in the league.

He’s surrounded by a very good offensive weapons and a stout defense. This isn’t entirely all that unreasonable. Yet, he will not make it too far in the post season until he’s able to cut down on the mistakes. Bills will earn there keep by beating  the crap out of bad teams. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Prediction. Josh Allen has a breakout season in 2020.

3800+ passing yards and since he’s also a RB @Jetsfan80, he’s obviously going to put up gobs of rushing yards also. He will end the year ranked among the top 15 QBs in the league.

And your boy Baker will miss the playoffs despite having a top 5 supporting cast

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Show me the runs that he did last year that wowed you. He’s not a running quarterback he’s a mobile quarterback. Out of all the runs that he had last year to maybe three of them I was impressed with. Most of them we’re not impressive. 

Allen had 510 yards rushing 9 rushing tds last season

Running is the strongest aspect of Josh Allen’s game as a pro qb and I was never a Josh Allen hater he was my second choice after Sam

• Upvote 2

He can claim that he's not gonna be Captain Checkdown, but it's pretty clear that his coaches are trying to make something of a game-manager out of him. Only he and Jacoby Brissett averaged less than 200 yards/game last year. While Darnold is looking to throw on every play, Allen is in an RPO on virtually every down. I'm not as down on Allen as a lot of people in here, I still think he can be good. He's still got a ways to go as a passer, but for the time being his legs are picking up a lot of the slack. I'd root for him if he was outside the division, just because of all the crap I've read about him in here before and since his draft. I'd've taken him ahead of Rosen if Mayfield & Darnold had gone #1 & 2. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And your boy Baker will miss the playoffs despite having a top 5 supporting cast

I’m thinking you saw the same Bleacher Report article I did?

I agreed with most of the rankings, except I found it odd they didn’t include team’s offensive lines in their equations.

I did agree with their statement saying that with all the talent around him this year, Mayfield has no excuse for not making the playoffs this year.

* I don’t know how to imbed articles. Maybe you could do it and start a thread about the one we’re talking about?

34 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He’s surrounded by a very good offensive weapons and a stout defense. This isn’t entirely all that unreasonable. Yet, he will not make it too far in the post season until he’s able to cut down on the mistakes. Bills will earn there keep by beating  the crap out of bad teams. 

Sitting here today, I agree with you about the Bills playoff chances.

The AFC has two mega powers right now with Mahomes/KC and Jackson/ Baltimore. It’s a tough road getting past both of them, much less one. I don’t think Allen and the Bills are on that level right now.

However, I think the Bills are ready to take control of the very weak AFC East, and get the type of advantage NE has had for years. Cruising to a high seed and home field by beating up on 3 week division opponents. Of course, in order to pull this off, Allen needs to take the leap I predicted he will.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Sitting here today, I agree with you about the Bills playoff chances.

The AFC has two mega powers right now with Mahomes/KC and Jackson/ Baltimore. It’s a tough road getting past both of them, much less one. I don’t think Allen and the Bills are on that level right now.

However, I think the Bills are ready to take control of the very weak AFC East, and get the type of advantage NE has had for years. Cruising to a high seed and home field by beating up on 3 week division opponents. Of course, in order to pull this off, Allen needs to take the leap I predicted he will.

robert de niro goodfellas GIF

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, slats said:

He can claim that he's not gonna be Captain Checkdown, but it's pretty clear that his coaches are trying to make something of a game-manager out of him. Only he and Jacoby Brissett averaged less than 200 yards/game last year. While Darnold is looking to throw on every play, Allen is in an RPO on virtually every down. I'm not as down on Allen as a lot of people in here, I still think he can be good. He's still got a ways to go as a passer, but for the time being his legs are picking up a lot of the slack. I'd root for him if he was outside the division, just because of all the crap I've read about him in here before and since his draft. I'd've taken him ahead of Rosen if Mayfield & Darnold had gone #1 & 2. 

I could definitely see why they would want to do that. Just looking at his turnovers (14 fumbles) and his reckless running (embraces contact) seems like a recipe for disaster. But I don't think you can turn Allen into a game manager. A conservative Josh Allen will only amplify his accuracy issues. He needs to be trying to make big plays to offset his misses on a easy throws. It kind of reminds me a little of when the Jets had that color chart for Sanchez to minimize his mistakes and it only made things worse. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Allen had 510 yards rushing 9 rushing tds last season

Running is the strongest aspect of Josh Allen’s game as a pro qb and I was never a Josh Allen hater he was my second choice after Sam

Agreed, he is a very good running QB. It's not like Lamar Jackson where he breaks ankles and produces highlight reel plays, but it's very effective. He is fast, strong and very hard to take down. But like I said above, it's never a good idea for your QB to spend much of the game getting tackled in the open field by LBers and SS. It just takes one bad hit and it's Matt Barkley season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

The only reason he averaged less than 200 yards/game is due to him starting week 17 against the Jets and not playing more than a couple drives. He only had 5 yards in that game and it drops his average from 205 to 193.

5 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

The only reason he averaged less than 200 yards/game is due to him starting week 17 against the Jets and not playing more than a couple drives. He only had 5 yards in that game and it drops his average from 205 to 193.

Not a very compelling defense. 205 yds/game isn't much more than less than 200. Dude has a ways to go as a passer. 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed, he is a very good running QB. It's not like Lamar Jackson where he breaks ankles and produces highlight reel plays, but it's very effective. He is fast, strong and very hard to take down. But like I said above, it's never a good idea for your QB to spend much of the game getting tackled in the open field by LBers and SS. It just takes one bad hit and it's Matt Barkley season. 

If he became a decent pocket-passer, he'd be unstoppable. He'd have a profile comparable to that of Ben roethlisberger.

But without the pocket-presence, and with seemingly unfixable inaccuracy, he's an over-achieving back-up at best. And injury prone.