Bills Running Back Josh Allen: 'I'm not going to be Captain Checkdown'

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed, he is a very good running QB. It's not like Lamar Jackson where he breaks ankles and produces highlight reel plays, but it's very effective. He is fast, strong and very hard to take down. But like I said above, it's never a good idea for your QB to spend much of the game getting tackled in the open field by LBers and SS. It just takes one bad hit and it's Matt Barkley season. 

I agree that’s why I think Allen might be toast in 3-4 years he’s actually taking more punishment than Jackson

23 minutes ago, peebag said:

If you compare the offensive talent of Buffalo to the offensive talent of the Jets,

The Bills win hands down.

Well yeah it’s gonna take another couple years to recover from Mac botching 5 drafts in a row

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

He can claim that he's not gonna be Captain Checkdown, but it's pretty clear that his coaches are trying to make something of a game-manager out of him. Only he and Jacoby Brissett averaged less than 200 yards/game last year. While Darnold is looking to throw on every play, Allen is in an RPO on virtually every down. 

In a way, yes.  But he also was t-4th in the league last year in Air Yards per Attempt (9.4). 

They need to let him just be a Brett Favre type who can run.  They're never going to fix his inaccuracy or turnover issues.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Not a very compelling defense. 205 yds/game isn't much more than less than 200. Dude has a ways to go as a passer. 

He doesn't have the best passing numbers, but when you including his rushing production, he produces more yards per game than Sam Darnold if you exclude the game Allen sat week 17.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

He doesn't have the best passing numbers, but when you including his rushing production, he produces more yards per game than Sam Darnold if you exclude the game Allen sat week 17.

I know it's all the rage now, but I'm not convinced that this running QB thing is going to be sustainable just yet. I also feel that the Bills really reigned Allen in last year, asking him to be more careful with both his passes and running the football. He was much more efficient, but he still has a long way to go. He was one of only three starting QBs who completed less than 60% of his passes, and was also down near the bottom in yards/attempt. Being able to run only covers so much for so long. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I know it's all the rage now, but I'm not convinced that this running QB thing is going to be sustainable just yet. 

And its sustainability is directly tied to what a team is paying its QB, too.  Running constantly makes sense while Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen are on their rookie contracts.  It makes a lot less sense when they're getting $30-40M a year.

Jackson can probably succeed in this league at more of a "pocket guy who runs when needed" style.  Allen, not so much.  He's worthless as a pocket guy.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Allen had 510 yards rushing 9 rushing tds last season

Running is the strongest aspect of Josh Allen’s game as a pro qb and I was never a Josh Allen hater he was my second choice after Sam

Just because it’s the strongest attribute it doesn’t mean that he’s really good at it. I think most QBs that were mobile would get that many yards if they ran as often as he did. I think his running ability is overrated. The fact that he throws the ball 70 yards and take chances makes the defense pull back which helps his running space. 

Sam was on the least of the Qbs who checked down LEAST...

am ambivalent...I like going for chunks, but if shorter completions mean mnore 1st doiwnd and more possession?

( dont mistake this for being ok with a checkdon on 3rd and 12 late when we are behind and need a FD and get 5 yds)

8 hours ago, hamat711 said:

The only reason he averaged less than 200 yards/game is due to him starting week 17 against the Jets and not playing more than a couple drives. He only had 5 yards in that game and it drops his average from 205 to 193.

200 yards rushing is very respectable.   Good boy, Josh. 

SAR I

I like Sam much better but Allen is OK. I'd rather have either one than Mayfield.

Jets and Bills are going to duke it out for the AFC East. Jets will prevail.

I also think Jackson is overrated. Defenses will figure out how to contain him and he will really miss Yanda.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Just because it’s the strongest attribute it doesn’t mean that he’s really good at it. I think most QBs that were mobile would get that many yards if they ran as often as he did. I think his running ability is overrated. The fact that he throws the ball 70 yards and take chances makes the defense pull back which helps his running space. 

If anything Allen’s running ability is underrated.  

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Jethead said:

I like Sam much better but Allen is OK. I'd rather have either one than Mayfield.

Jets and Bills are going to duke it out for the AFC East. Jets will prevail.

I also think Jackson is overrated. Defenses will figure out how to contain him and he will really miss Yanda.

The MVP is over rated. ?

Some of you guys are just a treasure trove of insightful commentary.

44 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The MVP is over rated. ?

He's Mike Vick without the pit bulls. Give me first pick and there are at least 5 QB's I would take before him.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

He runs upright, can cut and isn’t really fast. He looks like an HBack that gets five carries a year. 

Go to 3:10 on the Jaguars vid.

He isn't fast? You have no clue what you are talking about.

He isn't Kyler or Lamar but he can move.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The MVP is over rated. ?

yeah-  36 Tds vs 6 Ints...    6:1  Td/INT ratio     pedestrian....

like the numnuts who was saying RG3 "didnt exactly light up the league" his rookie yeat.

it must truly be blissful , that certain state

9 minutes ago, Jethead said:

He's Mike Vick without the pit bulls. Give me first pick and there are at least 5 QB's I would take before him.

Man, you are really underestimating him. Vick was not the passer in his first few years that Jackson is. I’m skeptical about the running QB thing being sustainable long term, but Jackson is a good enough thrower that I’d be working to phase out a lot of called runs for him this season. In the playoffs, your QB has to be able to win the game with his arm. Jackson can be that guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Whoop de do. He’s had a few good runs out of a few hundred. He’s a bum. 

Josh Allen has the same or more career rushing TDs than.........

Saquan Barkely, Nick Chubb, Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, and Kareem hunt.

Josh Allen is one of the best short yardage and goaline weapons in the entire NFL. 

He is the only player in the league who can even threaten Cam Newtons rushing TD record.

Saying Josh Allen isn't a good runner is foolish.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Josh Allen has the same or more career rushing TDs than.........

Saquan Barkely, Nick Chubb, Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, and Kareem hunt.

Josh Allen is one of the best short yardage and goaline weapons in the entire NFL. 

He is the only player in the league who can even threaten Cam Newtons rushing TD record.

Saying Josh Allen isn't a good runner is foolish.

Overrated 

16 hours ago, hamat711 said:

Go to 3:10 on the Jaguars vid.

He isn't fast? You have no clue what you are talking about.

He isn't Kyler or Lamar but he can move.

Running being his strength actually plays into what the jets can do with him

Have Adams spy him him on 3rd down 

On 6/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, 14 in Green said:

Well, get your popcorn ready buddy.

i think this is the put up or shut up year for Allen, Mayfield and Sam.

Once Darnold has an OL that gives him more than 1.9 seconds or less to throw, THEN its “put up or shut up” time for him.  Allen and Mayfield had way more talent on their OLs.  

You can’t “fix inaccurate” and that’s what Allen is all about.  They have to hope for him to hit bombs and the D to lock the opponent down, but that rarely takes you far in the playoffs (if you even get there).

I think Mayfield stays in the Pros as a Back-up after his first contract is complete.

Sam will soon show he’s The Man when he FINALLY gets some protection and yeah, almost forgot, maybe some semblance of a running game?!?

The poor kid has virtually been playing 1 on 11 for almost his entire young career.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Once Darnold has an OL that gives him more than 1.9 seconds or less to throw, THEN its “put up or shut up” time for him.  Allen and Mayfield had way more talent on their OLs.  

You can’t “fix inaccurate” and that’s what Allen is all about.  They have to hope for him to hit bombs and the D to lock the opponent down, but that rarely takes you far in the playoffs (if you even get there).

I think Mayfield stays in the Pros as a Back-up after his first contract is complete.

Sam will soon show he’s The Man when he FINALLY gets some protection and yeah, almost forgot, maybe some semblance of a running game?!?

The poor kid has virtually been playing 1 on 11 for almost his entire young career.

Do me a favor. Can you remind me of your prediction for Sam’s ‘19 season?

if I remember it was something like 4500 yds, 40+tds under 10ints and an offense that was guaranteed by you to average over 35 points a game.

you told us this not once, but throughout the offseason last year.

I love your optimisim, but you’re the last person(along with nico) I’d go to for an unbiased opinion of Darnold.

BTW thanks to what you just predicted about Mayfield, I feel so much better about him having a terrific bounce back year in ‘20, and a long, great career. Thanks for that!

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

if I remember it was something like 4500 yds, 40+tds under 10ints and an offense that was guaranteed by you to average over 35 points a game.

I love your optimisim, but you’re the last person(along with nico) I’d go to for an unbiased opinion of Darnold.

BTW thanks to what you just predicted about Mayfield, I feel so much better about him having a terrific bounce back year in ‘20, and a long, great career. Thanks for that!

Only thing Baker will be bouncing is out of the playoffs 

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2020 at 4:55 PM, 14 in Green said:

If I knew that the 2018 NYJ OL would perform to a level of 3rd WORST IN NFL HISTORY I would have told myself that my projection would not come to pass.  You extrapolate Darnold’s passing yards in 2019 to 16 games he’s actually only a few hundred Below 4,000.  Not too bad with NO OL and NO Running Game.  He also finished with a 7-6 Record.  When Darnold did not play?  Stumblebum Maccagnan’s “team” that Darnold has had to suffer with for his first 2 years?  0-6, but more importantly, totally STEAMROLLED in ALL 6 Losses.  That tells you something else about Sam Darnold.

And come on spare me goofing on my predictions.  Go back in these threads to me banging the table for Idiot Stumblebum to Draft Mahomes.  I also predicted that Mahomes would tear up the NFL in his first season starting just like Dan Marino did.  It’s written on this website.  Do I get all my predictions correct?  No.  That would be impossible.  But I’m right way more than I’m wrong.  About the NFL and what happens on Wall St.

Darnold will be a Top QB in this league, due to the Jets finally having a REAL GM, who will build around him...FINALLY.  

Darnold has shown already way more than just “flashes”.  He’s extraordinarily talented.  Football is a team game.  He has been playing 1 on 11 for much of his first 2 years.  That’s changing.

PS I think little Mayfield starts getting hurt this year, more dissension with teammates, more mess.  I don’t see him having a great and long career.

• Post of the Week 1