Off Topic Clubs - Beta: Coming Soon

44 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We need the Off Topic Clubs to be a community based thing. We need everyone to LISTEN to each other. If you are going there to simply rile others up or name call, it isn't going to work out for you. Clubs are not the kind of thing you will be banned from. They are the kind of thing you can be kicked out of and there is no expiration date on that. It is a one and done kind of thing. So we ask that you take them seriously, treat each other with respect and avoid personal attacks.

I hope this works out. I choose to discuss politics on other forums and will not opt in to the clubs.

The only way that there is any hope of posters being civil and not falling back to canned talking points and accusations (that both sides will state as fact) that will fire both sides up to the boiling point is to  make a zero exceptions rule and absolutely enforce the kick/ban for at least a year.

Who will make the decisions on whether someone stepped over the line? Several mods and posters lean left. Will this be like the Google/Facebook/Twitter fact checkers that are all radical libs? I hope you have the final say because I've found you to be fair and open minded since you started JN.

Final thought on this is I fear that hard feelings from the clubs might follow over to the NFL forums and affect football discussions.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I hope this works out. I choose to discuss politics on other forums and will not opt in to the clubs.

The only way that there is any hope of posters being civil and not falling back to canned talking points and accusations (that both sides will state as fact) that will fire both sides up to the boiling point is to  make a zero exceptions rule and absolutely enforce the kick/ban for at least a year.

Who will make the decisions on whether someone stepped over the line? Several mods and posters lean left. Will this be like the Google/Facebook/Twitter fact checkers that are all radical libs? I hope you have the final say because I've found you to be fair and open minded since you started JN.

Final thought on this is I fear that hard feelings from the clubs might follow over to the NFL forums and affect football discussions.

Interesting viewpoint, I just returned from a 30 day forced hiatus courtesy of Sperm Edwards. I'm certainly not a JN trouble maker, so it was quite the harsh penalty considering my frustration of not being able to earn a living at the time I made my feelings known regarding the Covid 19 pandemic. Honestly, it was a godsend considering the events that happened during my 30 day suspension. 

I only came back because I love the Jets & this is one of the better sites. But there needs to be criminal writing reform on this site. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

@Maxman Are you saying a certain event that occurs in early November is going to be fair game to "discuss"?

Wow, if so, this should be interesting.

Not sure if it's possible, but some sort of restrictions may be a good idea.

Like anyone who wants to use the clubs should have been a member for a couple months and have a certain rep.

Try to keep out trolls.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Interesting viewpoint, I just returned from a 30 day forced hiatus courtesy of Sperm Edwards. I'm certainly not a JN trouble maker, so it was quite the harsh penalty considering my frustration of not being able to earn a living at the time I made my feelings known regarding the Covid 19 pandemic. Honestly, it was a godsend considering the events that happened during my 30 day suspension. 

I only came back because I love the Jets & this is one of the better sites. But there needs to be criminal writing reform on this site. 

Yep, If the moderators are impartial the club forums might be fine, but I seriously doubt it. If the lib leaning mod's control the discussion it'll be just another BS exercise in it's our message or you're banned. 

@Maxmanplease keep a close watch on the known mod's with a political leaning one way or the other.

I'll resist the temptation to watch how fairly the moderation will be carried out.  I hope this does not impact the real football discussion most of us come here for.

These posters who claim they've been censored need to find another outlet, this is a football forum and not a Trump vs Biden, Antifa vs America First forum.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Can we create our own clubs?  Can we have a Rich Man’s Club for posters with a net worth of over $5M?  We have issues and concerns that others often find off-putting or unrelatable.  

SAR I

Only 5M? That's not rich, if you only a have a BMW and a Rolex, that's fake rich.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Only 5M? That's not rich, if you only a have a BMW and a Rolex, that's fake rich.

I didn’t say my net worth is $5M. I said that would be the minimum entry threshold for the Rich Man’s Club.  Per Google, $2.3M qualifies the average American as “rich”.   2x seems right to me.   

Your post, thank you, is an example of why we need such a club.  Second homes, luxury cars, luxury vacations, luxury jewelry, recreational vehicles, nannies, mistresses, cleaning girls, lots of ground to cover in these challenging times for so many (but not us). 

SAR I

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

These are unprecedented times. We have always had a no politics rule here and it has served us well over the years. We never wanted to be a site that saw Jet fans fight with other fans over things that aren't football related. That is why we have avoided it, the partisan bickering with both sides shouting and neither side listening is easier for us to avoid all together.

That being said, 2020 is like nothing we have ever seen.  There are so many topics that are directly impacting us all and it is hard to not speak about them anymore. How do we say, hey we know you are forced to stay at home and you may have lost your job, but please don't talk about Covid here because it gets political? It is impossible, there are things going on that are on everyone's mind. We don't even know if the NFL season will be played in front of fans. Whether fans are there are not we can be certain that there will be players protesting. It all adds up and makes it impossible to not discuss here.

Some people tell us they love that the site is free of all of this.  Others tell us we are censoring people by not allowing these threads.

How do we find the balance?

We are implementing a solution called Clubs that will make it possible for both to exist. 

• The NFL forum and Lounge, all of the existing forums here will remain politics free. We are here to talk football. The other stuff is important but if it isn't football it isn't going to be in the forums.
  • The new Off Topic Clubs - Beta will launch on Sunday night.
    • These Clubs are topic based and they allow for threads, image uploads and a calendar option if needed
    • They are Opt In
    • Because of this we are going to be able to allow the conversation to continue in a direction we haven't in the past
    • Just as the Clubs are opt in, they are also opt out, which means anyone who doesn't play nice with others will be removed from the club

We need the Off Topic Clubs to be a community based thing. We need everyone to LISTEN to each other. If you are going there to simply rile others up or name call, it isn't going to work out for you. Clubs are not the kind of thing you will be banned from. They are the kind of thing you can be kicked out of and there is no expiration date on that. It is a one and done kind of thing. So we ask that you take them seriously, treat each other with respect and avoid personal attacks.

I will post the link on Sunday and you will have the option to join any clubs you are interested in.

I stress that if you like the way the site is now, please just post as you are doing. Don't feel any pressure to check out the off topic stuff. They are there for those that want to discuss these topics, but we realize most will probably want to keep the site the way it is now (football only).

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!

JI was notorious for having posters’ resentments from the political forums spill into every thread.

Best way to insulate the site from the politics while still having a place for it might be to enforce a new user ID for just the political clubs. This way, if poster X goes by “FoxNuuz” in the clubs but uses “JetFanABC“ in the forums, then when he posts in the clubs about how the oompah loompah at 1600 Penn Ave is a great guy, it won’t have any spillover effect in the forums for people who think the oompah loompah at 1600 Penn Ave is a dimwitted manchild.

I have no idea if that’s even feasible on this forum software, but just a thought.

Given the demographics on the site, it’ll be interesting to see. I’ll check it out and probably barely post in it - instead reserving my internet outrage for Gase in 2020.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

These are unprecedented times. We have always had a no politics rule here and it has served us well over the years. We never wanted to be a site that saw Jet fans fight with other fans over things that aren't football related. That is why we have avoided it, the partisan bickering with both sides shouting and neither side listening is easier for us to avoid all together.

That being said, 2020 is like nothing we have ever seen.  There are so many topics that are directly impacting us all and it is hard to not speak about them anymore. How do we say, hey we know you are forced to stay at home and you may have lost your job, but please don't talk about Covid here because it gets political? It is impossible, there are things going on that are on everyone's mind. We don't even know if the NFL season will be played in front of fans. Whether fans are there are not we can be certain that there will be players protesting. It all adds up and makes it impossible to not discuss here.

Some people tell us they love that the site is free of all of this.  Others tell us we are censoring people by not allowing these threads.

We are implementing a solution called Clubs that will make it possible for both to exist. 

• The NFL forum and Lounge, all of the existing forums here will remain politics free. We are here to talk football. The other stuff is important but if it isn't football it isn't going to be in the forums.
    • These Clubs are topic based and they allow for threads, image uploads and a calendar option if needed
    • They are Opt In
    • Because of this we are going to be able to allow the conversation to continue in a direction we haven't in the past
    • Just as the Clubs are opt in, they are also opt out, which means anyone who doesn't play nice with others will be removed from the club

I will post the link on Sunday and you will have the option to join any clubs you are interested in.

I stress that if you like the way the site is now, please just post as you are doing. Don't feel any pressure to check out the off topic stuff. They are there for those that want to discuss these topics, but we realize most will probably want to keep the site the way it is now (football only).

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I didn’t say my net worth is $5M. I said that would be the minimum entry threshold for the Rich Man’s Club.  Per Google, $2.3M qualifies the average American as “rich”.   2x seems right to me.   

Your post, thank you, is an example of why we need such a club.  Second homes, luxury cars, luxury vacations, luxury jewelry, recreational vehicles, nannies, mistresses, cleaning girls, lots of ground to cover in these challenging times for so many (but not us). 

SAR I

As Charlie Sheen says " you don't pay hookers for sex, you pay them to leave".

If you're net worth is not $5M at this point in your life you shouldn't be leasing status symbol BMW's.

• Upvote 1

Will there be free drinks served in these clubs like Atlantic City or is this BYOB?

Also I think there should be a COPING CLUB for those who have had their asses handed to them. The " Butt Hurt " club.

Obviously I'm just joking around and in no way am I taking lightly the current situation and struggles and experiences that we're all having.

There are a lot of intelligent people on this board. It's a shame that we can't just expect everybody to be respectful and talk about current issues or have productive discussions and arguments to try to lead us all to a better place.

I'm all for hashing things out, but everybody please check yourself before you press submit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

JI was notorious for having posters’ resentments from the political forums spill into every thread.

Best way to insulate the site from the politics while still having a place for it might be to enforce a new user ID for just the political clubs. This way, if poster X goes by “FoxNuuz” in the clubs but uses “JetFanABC“ in the forums, then when he posts in the clubs about how the oompah loompah at 1600 Penn Ave is a great guy, it won’t have any spillover effect in the forums for people who think the oompah loompah at 1600 Penn Ave is a dimwitted manchild.

I have no idea if that’s even feasible on this forum software, but just a thought.

Given the demographics on the site, it’ll be interesting to see. I’ll check it out and probably barely post in it - instead reserving my internet outrage for Gase in 2020.

Lol, a completely non biased viewpoint...amirite?

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

• They are Opt In

will moderators be there or is it a moderator free zone. If mods want to talk I will take a knee and talk with y'all... (couldnt resist),,,, I think I wont be in there too much,,you young guys will enjoy I am sure.. good luck and dont give out your addresses ;) 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

On more than one occasion I ate caviar until I got sick. I think that makes me the JN benchmark for richness.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Impulse control. Look it up.

8 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

On paper this seems like a good idea, but it isnt.

The antics WILL spill over onto the other boards to an extent. I know I wont partake of these "clubs", and the topics therein.

Bingo.  I have absolutely no interest in these clubs, but really don't have issue with anyone who does... in theory.  With that said, there is no question this will quickly spread throughout the entire board in the blink of an eye, with streams of grudges and endless thinly veiled references to these topics infesting every thread and quickly making things intolerable.  I mean, these realities already exist to a certain extent just for football topics and the 0.0000001% of politics that manages to slip through today, so there's no reason to think it will be any different with this.

I'd be thrilled to be wrong about that, but odds are extremely high this will escalate quickly and at some point it'll be a question of how far it's willing to be taken before completely changing the entire image of what JN is really all about.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

As Charlie Sheen says " you don't pay hookers for sex, you pay them to leave".

If you're net worth is not $5M at this point in your life you shouldn't be leasing status symbol BMW's.

Those with a net worth anywhere near $5M should NOT be sitting in the MEZZ section of MetLife Stadium for NY Jets games. 

metlife-3

• Upvote 1